Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a drat shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder if the reason they went to that mall was because rent was probably low and that gave them more money to put into the store.

But yea that's too bad, sounds like they wanted to be a destination store, but the location was just working against them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hey Rhyno, I've decided to slowly invest in the issues of Saga that I'm missing (Didn't start buying until issue 10). I know they're expensive, but it seems like a pain in the arse to constantly stalk eBay - are there any other good comic buying options out there? My local stores don't really do back issues these days so online seems to be the only real option.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Hey Rhyno, I've decided to slowly invest in the issues of Saga that I'm missing (Didn't start buying until issue 10). I know they're expensive, but it seems like a pain in the arse to constantly stalk eBay - are there any other good comic buying options out there? My local stores don't really do back issues these days so online seems to be the only real option.

MyComicShop.com

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=22696057

They have a great want list system but it appears they have everything in stock. Make sure you select "bag & board my order" as I have had issues with dinged comics previously.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Awesome, thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey guys I need a favor. One of my customers missed the new Captain Atom #1and Diamond is sold out with no 2nd ptg announced as of yet. He's mildly autistic and doesn't do digital comics, can you guys check your shops and see if anyone has a copy on hand? The retailer forum doesn't like single issue posts or else I'd go that route. I would of course paypal cost and shipping.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I shot an email to my comic shop, if they have it in any of their locations they'll pull it for me.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'll check when I'm in there tomorrow. My LCS owner is convinced it's going to end with the appearance of Dr. Manhattan so he ordered a ton of them. Despite not ordering enough JL v SS or the JLA Rebirth issues because he didn't think anyone would want them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

I'll check when I'm in there tomorrow. My LCS owner is convinced it's going to end with the appearance of Dr. Manhattan so he ordered a ton of them. Despite not ordering enough JL v SS or the JLA Rebirth issues because he didn't think anyone would want them.

I think that's why it sold out.

I appreciate it dudes!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My LCS has been putting up a lot of golden/silver age comics up (including Ms Marvel #1 that I want so much) and some guy came in and started throwing around accusations that they're all fake , because apparently there are tons of fake back issues out there.

The gently caress? The manager asked him to leave if he was going to accuse them of trying to rip people off, and he threatened her with a bad Yelp review.

Oh no.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We always get people in saying out autographs and poo poo are fake. People just seem to get pissed off at things they can't afford.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

We always get people in saying out autographs and poo poo are fake. People just seem to get pissed off at things they can't afford.

Other than the aforementioned Ms Marvel #1, first appearance of Black Cat and a few other high value comics, most of the ones they have range form 10-40bux, not exactly high priced.

I get really annoyed with whoever the distro for Marvel Legends is (Is that Diamond too?) because they're really inconsistent, some stores already have the latest Spider-Man set and I want the Kamala from it, but my LCS hasn't gotten it yet and I get my discount there. My store is always a week or two behind. The Manager has talked to diamond about this and they're all "we can't control on how long it takes to get you stuff".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah he's actually right. Hasbro distribution sucks. The Sandman wave dropped to shops last week but we're still waiting for other Hasbro product that's been available in some places for months.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno -

My shop had one copy left, they grabbed it for me. I won't be able to get there until Saturday but if you PM me your address I'll get it shipped for you try day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Rhyno -

My shop had one copy left, they grabbed it for me. I won't be able to get there until Saturday but if you PM me your address I'll get it shipped for you try day.

You're a prince! Just lemme know and I will get you money!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Medullah is a wonderful person who absolutely made my customer's day.

In shop news, the boss crunched the numbers today and the store is up 25% for comics, trades and toys overall. Marvel sales are down 30% while DC sales are up 100%.

100%. DC has doubled in sales for us. And that's not just the first few Rebirth issues spike, that is where sales have settled after 6 months of Rebirth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

But cheaper comics hurt the retailer!!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not a DC reader (other than Vertigo, and I'm trying out The Hellblazer for that reason), but isn't this the first real relaunch of DC continuity in many years? It would make sense that people want to get in on the ground floor and don't need to figure out what has happened to the Flash over the last 10 years.

Marvel annoys me with the relaunching of the same book - I've bought Daredevil #1 like 4 times in the last 10-15 years. I get that new buyers have an easier time getting into a #1, but it's irritating when #1 continues the same story #17 set up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I find the constant relaunches a pain.

But then I had to help a friend start reading and she was put off by the idea of reading issue #7, let alone #37. So I can understand their mentality of trying to give as many spots for new readers to jump on as possible.

Valiant do this well by sticking giant NEW ARC STARTS HERE FEEL FREE TO START READING stuff allover logical jumping on points too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't that what Marvel is doing now? Putting a "Spider-Man goes to Wallmart #1!" on the cover when the issue is actually #23?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a weird dude in the shop yesterday.

When I put the stand together I use hand written placeholders so I can adjust and shift the stand during business hours to make room for the new releases. That way I don't have to be at the store all night prepping for Wednesday. On occasion I forget to pull them when I put the books out. That happened with a few recently and yesterday a dude found my hand written "EXTRA X" placeholder in the Extraordinary X-Men row and he had a full on autistic (don't think he was actually autistic) meltdown and ripped it to shreds while loudly announcing that you can't abbreviate comic book titles. After he calmed down he quietly went and bought his books while I cleaned up the shredded bits. I am kind of tempted to abbreviate all the placeholders and leave them all out next week just to see what he does.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Book Riot would like a word with you... retailers.
Things We Want Our Local Comic Book Stores To Know

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Like, half of those boil down to "you should be able to read people's minds AND tell the future!" The other half are "you should be inclusive and actively work to prevent harassment" which is cool and attainable.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Space Fish posted:

Book Riot would like a word with you... retailers.
Things We Want Our Local Comic Book Stores To Know

quote:

4) LCS, there’s much that I love about you, but, please: get rid of the Trump merchandise.

Sever

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rhyno posted:

In shop news, the boss crunched the numbers today and the store is up 25% for comics, trades and toys overall. Marvel sales are down 30% while DC sales are up 100%.

100%. DC has doubled in sales for us. And that's not just the first few Rebirth issues spike, that is where sales have settled after 6 months of Rebirth.

I made pretty good friends with the owner of the 'local' [aka next town over, because all the ones in town closed down] comic shop, and we were talking business two nights ago during their weekly MtG tournament [I was there to watch a friend play]. Apparently all his marvel stuff is dropping, and besides superman and batman, all his DC stuff is as well.

Amusingly, his biggest seller in the last two weeks had been the new Steven Universe comic, to which he commented that "It brought a lot of new faces in... I just wish they looked at more than a single comic."

Kinda sad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's kind of insane as I don't think any SU comic has ever cracked the top 100. For local perspective, we sell maybe four copies of any Steven Universe comic. It doesn't even sell as well as my worst selling DC or Marvel book.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rhyno posted:

That's kind of insane as I don't think any SU comic has ever cracked the top 100. For local perspective, we sell maybe four copies of any Steven Universe comic. It doesn't even sell as well as my worst selling DC or Marvel book.

I mean, I don't know where you live, but the shop I go to is within 30 miles of two state universities, a block away from a community college, and the entire area is very much hipster college age person. Every time I've gone into the shop it's been mostly 18-24 year old people buying.

It probably just has to do with the demographics of the areas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KittyEmpress posted:

I mean, I don't know where you live, but the shop I go to is within 30 miles of two state universities, a block away from a community college, and the entire area is very much hipster college age person. Every time I've gone into the shop it's been mostly 18-24 year old people buying.

It probably just has to do with the demographics of the areas.

My city is not that small, has a major two-college campus and our demographics are very much the same. There's no shortage of SU fans anywhere but it's not a best seller at all. Maybe he meant it was his best "new" book of the week or something?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I should ask the shop I go to what has been selling since Rebirth started.

Going by the new releases shelf they have each week, they tend to have a pretty even selection of Marvel/DC stuff, quite a bit of Image, some Boom, Darkhorse, and IDW books, and I recall they mentioned having a really good relationship with Valiant so they get a lot of those as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

I should ask the shop I go to what has been selling since Rebirth started.

Going by the new releases shelf they have each week, they tend to have a pretty even selection of Marvel/DC stuff, quite a bit of Image, some Boom, Darkhorse, and IDW books, and I recall they mentioned having a really good relationship with Valiant so they get a lot of those as well.

RIght now everything DC is booming. The surprise hit for us has been Titans. The last time there was a stand alone Titans book we sold all of 4 off the stand in any given month with 6 or so preorders. We're currently moving 40+ off the stand and just as many preorders.

I was looking at the order incentives for the X-Men relaunch and it's like Marvel doesn't even want us to order them in high numbers.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 23, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wasn't the last Titans series that awful Winnick one?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Wasn't the last Titans series that awful Winnick one?

Yup. But bad books leave bad memories. Even the N52 Teen Titans books was never much of a hit for us which is why I'm so floored that Titans is selling so drat well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We have an autistic customer who is 100% obsessed/addicted to YuGiOh. He was in yesterday and bought 6 of the brand new deck. I guess he was back in today and we were sold out and he had a full on episode and started hitting himself with one hand and tearing his own hair out with the other.

:( Poor kid.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This could be a good spot to post FCBD experiences.

Ours was yesterday. Nothing too special seemed to be going on, so I just grabbed the allowed two free issues and left. I Hate Image is amazing, BTW.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I grabbed I Hate Image, 2000 AD, and Wonder Woman.

Picked up Batman/The Shadow #1, Swordquest, Southern Bastards #13 and 14, Power Rangers: Pink #1, Eternal Warrior by Greg Pak #1 and 2, and Faith #1 on sale.

They also had some artists drawing characters for people for free, so of course I got my fav

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Great day. $2K over last year, 200 more people and 14 hours straight.

And we ordered pizza for the cosplayers and artists and I got NONE of it because of diet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My local store had a really good day, and my hometown store did really well, but they always have good FCBD. They had Steve McNiven there signing and doing art.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
I wasn't working on our FCBD but ours is usually so bland. We make money but its just heres your bag of comics, off you go!

We had some signings but its for doctor who and assasins creed because titan publish those.

I dunno I just wish we had that comics community feel but we never quite reach it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Business is booming. Our comic sales are so good that we just purchased a 60+ long box collection.

I have to process it all by myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Business is booming. Our comic sales are so good that we just purchased a 60+ long box collection.

I have to process it all by myself.

I hope you get as lucky as I did! I bought one of those "Random 25" comic boxes from Meh and lucked out with this find!

• Locked thread