Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because then reviewers and early streamers play through and go 'game is poo poo only takes four hours to beat' and it goes straight in to the internet echo chamber like with Metal Gear Rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah that's probably the correct reason. Also you gotta fully explain your totally rad and surely not terrible story completely!

Personally I would have been happy with RE7 if the game ended after the fight against Mutated Jack with maybe a short postgame sequence.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GlyphGryph posted:

No, I mean, why do they feel the need to just keep going well after that are done? Why can't they just say enough is enough, we've done what we set out to do, and now it's time to wrap it up to a satisfying conclusion without adding in several additional hours of padding?

They made the game too short really, you get to the ship in around 4 or 5 hours in a blind run. All they really needed to do was to add more rooms to the previous areas and put in some backtracking like Resident Evil tends to have anyway and they could have flushed it out. They should have also made the Jack and Marge fights much later into the game. You should have also been stalked by both of them for most of the game. They're gone so quickly and Marge is barely in the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You gotta justify that $60. Although when it came to the old Resident Evils, which were like 4-ish hours, they were padded with a ton of extra content. Two characters in the original, four plays in the second game, branching paths in the third, two post-game modes in Code Veronica, and so on. But this is a brand new thing for them and Capcom desperately needed some good press after Street Fighter 5 kind of flopped around so there probably wasn't any time to get cool new modes in.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

You gotta justify that $60. Although when it came to the old Resident Evils, which were like 4-ish hours, they were padded with a ton of extra content. Two characters in the original, four plays in the second game, branching paths in the third, two post-game modes in Code Veronica, and so on. But this is a brand new thing for them and Capcom desperately needed some good press after Street Fighter 5 kind of flopped around so there probably wasn't any time to get cool new modes in.

God 1,2,3, and cv are so good. I need a series replay.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

You gotta justify that $60. Although when it came to the old Resident Evils, which were like 4-ish hours, they were padded with a ton of extra content.

They're not 4 hours the first time through, maybe Nemesis is, but 1 and 2 are pretty long when you go in blind.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

s.i.r.e. posted:

They made the game too short really, you get to the ship in around 4 or 5 hours in a blind run. All they really needed to do was to add more rooms to the previous areas and put in some backtracking like Resident Evil tends to have anyway and they could have flushed it out. They should have also made the Jack and Marge fights much later into the game. You should have also been stalked by both of them for most of the game. They're gone so quickly and Marge is barely in the game.

I must be terrible, I'm at six hours and just hitting the testing area.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

God 1,2,3, and cv are so good. I need a series replay.

RE3 is the best 'old style' game in the series.

The thing is I really enjoyed RE4 and 5! RE4 is one of my all time favorite games ever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

They're not 4 hours the first time through, maybe Nemesis is, but 1 and 2 are pretty long when you go in blind.

Eeh I probably still have my original save and definitely beat the original in an afternoon. That's not a knock against it, RE was just built on the Japanese arcade design philosophy of perfecting runs. I would spend weekends with friends comparing speeds in RE2.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

RE7 doesn't really have "branching paths", but the boss fights and other encounters (like Jack stalking you through the house) have different things that can occur depending on how things are set up. Like there's several ways you can beat the first boss fight with Jack, and there are instances during the avoidance segments like Jack bursting through the wall in front of you or chopping your leg off and making you reattach it that only happen if you and him are in the right place at the right time. It gives it some level of replayability by letting you see how things can go differently.

There's also lots of hidden items and things to find that encourage a slower pace in the first place; I definitely don't think I'm moving at a pace that will wrap up the main plot within 4 or 5 hours.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Based on the playthrough I watched, I think RE7 might've been a bit better if you went to the mine before the tanker since the latter seems like more of an endgame area and the former seems like a better transitioning area a la previous RE titles.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Night10194 posted:

RE3 is the best 'old style' game in the series.

Agreeing with this. I don't know why people poo poo on RE3 but I really liked the things it added. Mercenaries mode was a fun postgame thing, the dodge button was a welcome addition, Nemesis was cool and scary, and they cleaned up control stuff like being able to freely walk up steps instead of pressing a button and getting locked into an animation.

...and then all of that was thrown out the window for Code: Veronica for bizarre development timeline reasons. I don't remember hating CV but IIRC parts of it were a massive slog mostly in the back half.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CV is just, really, really long, like I think it's longer than Resi 2 A&B scenario combined.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I think the Antarctica base is made worth it for Nosferatu, both his story and fight alone.

Ooo, and the showing of the spider boss long before you even fought it, that was cool too

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 1, 2017

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

All i remember of Code Veronica was Steve being a little shithead and emblem puzzles. Sooo many emblem puzzles.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They nailed the mood in Code Veronica with the aforementioned spider and the villain(s) being legit creepy. And going back to the mansion, even if RE1 was only 4 years old and rereleased like 3 times, was a great moment pre-REmake. Bandersnatches are also a favorite enemy of mine in the series.

But ugh Steve (who was 17, wtf). And ugh emblem puzzles. Ugh poison moth room. Yay Steve boss. Yay Wesker in PS2 version. Ugggggh backtracking, more so in this game. Also ugh final boss who is Silent Hill levels of lazy boss design.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The only thing I remember about Veronica is busting my rear end to get some badass gold lugers and then the Steve dick forcing me to give them to him to get a puzzle piece or something

gently caress that guy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sea Sponge Run posted:

The only thing I remember about Veronica is busting my rear end to get some badass gold lugers and then the Steve dick forcing me to give them to him to get a puzzle piece or something

gently caress that guy

IIRC it's worse than that. You spend quite a bit of time navigating a series of nonsense to get fake lugers to replace the real ones because they're on a pressure pad that will lock the door or something. So when you do this Steve just takes the real lugers and breaks out of the room. A little bit later he runs out of ammo then demands your submachine guns in exchange for the empty lugers.

He got what he deserved. Don't upstage the hero, Capcom.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

My biggest Veronica memory is that loving plane fight. gently caress.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Steve sucked.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

al-azad posted:

IIRC it's worse than that. You spend quite a bit of time navigating a series of nonsense to get fake lugers to replace the real ones because they're on a pressure pad that will lock the door or something. So when you do this Steve just takes the real lugers and breaks out of the room. A little bit later he runs out of ammo then demands your submachine guns in exchange for the empty lugers.

He got what he deserved. Don't upstage the hero, Capcom.

Steve existed solely to get Claire in poo poo and be an annoying little prick.

gently caress Steve. Claire's sidekick on her second Insane Corporate Prison Island was way better. (Rev2 was a good game)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Don't forget him forcing Claire to find a gas mask and do some running around thus delaying their escape cause he got distracted by Claire's rear end and hit a pipe while lowering their escape vehicle, which also almost led to Steve getting killed and forcing Claire to deal with Nosferatu.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Dandywalken posted:

I beat that fucker on my first try but it was the last shot of ammo I had from my pistol that did him in. I was a nervous wreck.

And I know it's not a horror game in the traditional sense but I'm playing Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and drat if it isn't creepy as hell. The story is more interesting than I expected, atmosphere and sound design are top notch, and that ball of light flying around sounds downright malevolent.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm pretty sure our pal Ethan either works for Umbrella given the time of the ending, or is now being a shiny new BOW test subject given the end credits start with a weird hallway/door scene it would explain why he isn't really scared of anything. And yes, gently caress idiot Steve right in his stupid face.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dandywalken posted:

My friend never beat the game because of this fight, I think he didn't have enough ammo to deal with it and had to try and go the rest of the fight with a knife and could never do it.

Didn't CV have two mansions that were like duplicates of each other?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

s.i.r.e. posted:

My friend never beat the game because of this fight, I think he didn't have enough ammo to deal with it and had to try and go the rest of the fight with a knife and could never do it.

Not really but sort of? The Ashford mansion was it's own thing, while the second half of the game had a copy of the main hall from the first game. I think it was just the main hall at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yodzilla posted:

I beat that fucker on my first try but it was the last shot of ammo I had from my pistol that did him in. I was a nervous wreck.

And I know it's not a horror game in the traditional sense but I'm playing Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and drat if it isn't creepy as hell. The story is more interesting than I expected, atmosphere and sound design are top notch, and that ball of light flying around sounds downright malevolent.

When it was in PS+ the consensus was that Rapture was trash for idiots but I really enjoyed it and it's easily one of my favourites in that genre of games. Waking speed should be faster though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, people seem to run into that roadblock in CV frequently about not having enough ammo. The trick is that you should be using the knife against zombies almost all the time up to that point, since the Code Veronica incarnation of the knife is one of the few times the knife isn't a useless waste of inventory space in a RE game because it hits multiple times per swing and is easy to stagger zombies with.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can do the plane tyrant without ammo because releasing the cargo crate does a bit of damage to him, it's just insanely tedious and you have to be very good at dodging his attacks.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Sakurazuka posted:

When it was in PS+ the consensus was that Rapture was trash for idiots but I really enjoyed it and it's easily one of my favourites in that genre of games. Waking speed should be faster though.

Yeah I'm liking it a lot so far. Walking speed honestly doesn't bother me as the run button does eventually get fairly quick. I still wish there was actual environmental interactivity ala Gone Home but that's not how Chinese Room rolls sadly.

Also I'm still extremely salty about A Machine for Pigs.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I accidentally played bay of pigs instead of real amnesia. There were a few good moments and themes, and I finished it, but it was overall... kind of disappointing

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
When I played machine of pigs, I found an item I'd obviously need for a puzzle and took it with me. After a few rooms I put it down because I had to carry something else.

Well because of ~themes~, the game constantly randomly puts up gates and poo poo, and just so happened to make where I put the first item completely inaccessible. Also the next puzzle was the one that needed it. The game was completely unwinnable because I moved an item where the game decided to arbitrarily wall off.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

GlyphGryph posted:

I accidentally played bay of pigs instead of real amnesia. There were a few good moments and themes, and I finished it, but it was overall... kind of disappointing

In retrospect, expecting The Chinese Room to deliver anything other than a walking simulator with interesting, if not necessarily competent writing was foolish of everybody.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Night10194 posted:

Steve existed solely to get Claire in poo poo and be an annoying little prick.

gently caress Steve. Claire's sidekick on her second Insane Corporate Prison Island was way better. (Rev2 was a good game)

I love that the intentional moral of Rev2 is that guns are great.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

hell, it's good to arm yourself to struggle nobly against monsters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thundercracker posted:

And also that Barry Burton is one of the smartest characters in Resident Evil, for being the only one to ever bring a full combat load to a mission.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Machine For Pigs' greatest strength was not being the extended tedium simulator that was Amnesia 1

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Night10194 posted:

And also that Barry Burton is one of the smartest characters in Resident Evil, for being the only one to ever bring a full combat load to a mission.

Just constantly screaming SHE-WESKER! over and over added at least 1/2 star to the game.

Ok. I just got the new RE7 DLC and is drat solid. I really like that 1/2 is pure action and the other is pure puzzling.

That the puzzle dlc is a huge homage to Misery is just great.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I like how people bitched about even having to do monster chases and puzzles in Soma after complaining about how there weren't enough of them in Machine For Pigs.

Guess they wanted more breathing room to experience the Less Wrong-tier philosophy in Soma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

1stGear posted:

In retrospect, expecting The Chinese Room to deliver anything other than a walking simulator with interesting, if not necessarily competent writing was foolish of everybody.

I hadnt even realized it had a different dev, I thought it was by the same guys that did the Penumbra games which I had liked quite a bit.