Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

HEY GAIL posted:

i guess that balances the scales with the knghts of malta controversy
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/world/europe/ten-centuries-later-a-pope-and-knights-do-battle.html

which involves some of the best German names I have ever seen, holy poo poo Metternich read this

Those are some splendid names. The Albrecht von Boeselager mentioned in the text must be related to the priest in the German “Valerie and the Priest“ blog I linked earlier then (he is called Franziskus von Boeselager)

Also,

quote:

The pope was already critical of the ornate dress favored by the Knights (red military jacket and gold epaulets) and by Cardinal Burke (a long train of billowing red silk known as a cappa magna).

Why would he be critical of that :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

System Metternich posted:

The pope seems somewhat uninterested in bling.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Those are some splendid names. The Albrecht von Boeselager mentioned in the text must be related to the priest in the German “Valerie and the Priest“ blog I linked earlier then (he is called Franziskus von Boeselager)
my fav and bae is Grand Commander Ludwig Hoffmann von Rumerstein

quote:

this is one of several things i do not like Francis about : he hates archaic vestments and doesn't like the old liturgy either.

edit: most -steins are catholic, in my experience. or jewish.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 31, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

this is one of several things i do not like Francis about : he hates archaic vestments and doesn't like the old liturgy either.

The others are?

Personally considering he's just turned 80 I probably agree with him more than I would the average 80 year old.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
popefrancis wear the papal tiara

HEY GAIL posted:

There was that eyebrow-raising quote of his where he basically joked about young priests who wanted to wear traditional vestments being effeminate. Like "haha a saturno? I thought we didn't allow women in the priesthood." I give him a little bit of a pass for being old and Argentinian as all hell but that was just bizarre.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Went to see Silence tonight. Excellent film, very thought-provoking. Thanks to those of you who recommended it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bel_Canto posted:

lol 7 pm is amateur stuff, we've got one at 9

we have one too but the 7 is way more popular, prob because there's a cheap dinner right before

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Worthleast posted:

Edit: What on earth is this Malta ruckus? How have I not heard about this?
it took some time for the NYT to figure out what was going on, the reporter left no -stein unturned

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

also to this guy, who lived, thank god!

edit: the name means "bad army camp"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

looks like they aren't going to pass this so lgbt people everywhere can rejoice that the redhats are going to be busy with the muslims and mexicans for the next couple years

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

looks like they aren't going to pass this so lgbt people everywhere can rejoice that the redhats are going to be busy with the muslims and mexicans for the next couple years

don't count trump out until he's no longer president

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
two news items here. one is that the usccb put out an actually pretty good statement on the refugee ban, abandoning their decades-long position of cozying up to right-wing american politicians.

the second is that monsignor daniel gallagher, the head papal latinist, is leaving his vatican job to become a latin professor at cornell. this is a huge deal in the world of latin studies because we've basically never integrated spoken latin into pedagogy, and now a very famous practitioner of "living latin" is getting a post at a major classics department.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Wouldn't he be using ecclesiastical pronunciation though? I mean I guess it really doesn't matter unless you happen to travel through time as a hobby.

StashAugustine posted:

It got zero attention from the usual suspects on the Christian Right as far as I saw, so all it managed to do was to fire up the left for pretty much no reason. Excellent political move!

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

Wouldn't he be using ecclesiastical pronunciation though? I mean I guess it really doesn't matter unless you happen to travel through time as a hobby.

yeah he would, but it doesn't matter. switching between the two is really easy: i have to do it all the time when i move between work and singing either at choir or at mass, and honestly ecclesiastical is the harder one because it's got obvious allophones of c, g, and consonantal u, whereas the classical pronunciation generally goes with "one sound per letter."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

yeah he would, but it doesn't matter. switching between the two is really easy: i have to do it all the time when i move between work and singing either at choir or at mass, and honestly ecclesiastical is the harder one because it's got obvious allophones of c, g, and consonantal u, whereas the classical pronunciation generally goes with "one sound per letter."
ecclesiastical is easier for me and i speak it in a thick spanish/italian accent

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Thirding Ecclesiastical Latin as the way to go. It rolls off the tongue, and really should be more sung than spoken.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
has anyone itt ever heard ecclesiastical latin spoken in a german accent? it's hilarious, they say "qvi"

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

has anyone itt ever heard ecclesiastical latin spoken in a german accent? it's hilarious, they say "qvi"

yesssss i've sung through Orff's Carmina Burana and we did it all in german latin and it owned

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Senju Kannon posted:

yeah but now you've got a bit more time to get an exit visa or concealed carry permit

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Bel_Canto posted:

yesssss i've sung through Orff's Carmina Burana and we did it all in german latin and it owned

In Taberna is so much fun.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

WilliamAnderson posted:

In Taberna is so much fun.

singing it is fun, having to memorize it is not

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Bel_Canto posted:

Oh I know, I still have my cheat card with the entire lyrics to study off of.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

This is the correct way to say it, btw :colbert:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

This is the correct way to say it, btw :colbert:

Stop trying to make the Holy Roman Germanic Empire happen. It's not going to happen.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Senju Kannon posted:

Can I tattoo your avatar onto my body

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

I've memorized the whole thing and the female voices don't even sing it.

English Latin is fun, you can tell what they're saying but it just sounds weird. QVI 4 lyfe

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Can I tattoo your avatar onto my body

don't steal another person's tattoo

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Worthleast posted:

Stop trying to make the Holy Roman Germanic Empire happen. It's not going to happen.

Not if my secret volcanic base and my large number of elite henchmen have anything to say about it!!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
¿que?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

When did you name change Hey Gail?

Also, what would people consider to be an act of faith?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

Also, what would people consider to be an act of faith?

posting, obvs

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i think i experienced faith once

i didn't like it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

that's not actually true, mind, i loved every minute of it, it's just that it proved my own susceptibility to unjust and unfounded causes so thoroughly that i don't think it would be responsible for me to live without skepticism

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Saw this while I was hunting around for wall crucifixes online. The perfect gift for the die-hard patripassian in your life!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

a while ago--i wanted to go back to Hegel but someone else has it now. Currently considering HEY GHOUL, HEY GOON, or HEY GALE for when the weather's bad out

edit:
STOP MAKING US LOOK BAD
http://usuncut.com/politics/syrian-family-voted-trump/

quote:

Assali said her vote for Donald Trump was done out of a desire to see secure borders, though she didn’t expect one of her candidate’s chief campaign promises to be applied to her relatives, who are all Orthodox Christians with green cards.
"First they came for the Syrians, and I said nothing because I am a Syrian. Is that how it goes?"

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 2, 2017

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

HEY SCHOPENHAUER

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
SUCK MY FICHTE
LICK MY KANT

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

KNEE CHEESE?

e: CAMUS TOE

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
JEAN PAUL SHART

hell is my posting

edit: HEY DIGGER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013