Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

namaste faggots posted:

http://vanmag.com/city/big-changes-coming-to-main-street/

Foundation on main St is a garbage restaurant and I've never given any of my money to any of these businesses because I buy all my poo poo online so gently caress em

gently caress Vancouver and gently caress this lol startup rezoning

hot art wet city was a great event space that i, personally, will miss a lot. gently caress foundation tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The Wolf of Whistler just posted "the only 3 bed/3bath townhouse with garage under $2,000,000 in the Benchlands" and I am loving that towel holder. :canada:

I like wainscotting, but not that wainscotting!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mainland Chinese agents disappeared a Chinese-Canadian multi-billionaire while he was in HK: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/world/asia/xiao-jianhua-china-hong-kong-billionaire.html

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The first of many, I'm sure.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When it starts happening in Richmond I'll be alarmed.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

http://vanmag.com/city/big-changes-coming-to-main-street/

Foundation on main St is a garbage restaurant and I've never given any of my money to any of these businesses because I buy all my poo poo online so gently caress em

gently caress Vancouver and gently caress this lol startup rezoning

The startup zoning is such a terrible idea. By baking in such narrow wording into the zoning the city has made the property extra inflexible. What happens if there's a tech downturn and demand for these spaces decreases? Well then you have the situation of Great Northern Way, which a previous council zoned for "high tech" use in 1999, but has remained a parking lot ever since because the area was never trendy enough for tech companies and the land owners can't do anything else with the land. The city is just making work for some future council that is going to spend time to undo this later.

If it wasn't for the fact that these meetings are at like 5pm and impossible to attend, it would have considered going and asking council if they were even considering the scenario where Hootsuite doesn't become a success, Vancouver's tech ecosystem stagnates and what happens then.

Recall all those articles from a few months ago about investors (foreign and local) starting to wildly speculate on commercial and industrial land and driving up valuations. This is going to have a big direct impact on small businesses all over Vancouver, but especially in Mount Pleasant.

The city is also now floating the idea of putting housing into the False Creek Flats industrial area, which seems totally contradictory to what I thought the broad goals of the area were. This will drive up valuations, increase taxes on businesses, and undermine industrial use. I could see a lot of businesses being displaced by this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EvilJoven posted:

The first of many, I'm sure.

Doubtful that it's the first.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Doubtful that it's the first.

The article itself gave another example of the exact same thing happening a few years ago.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-man-lives-with-his-five-young-children-in-a-1050-square-foot-condo-2017-01-31

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You can stack young kids pretty good, but once they hit double digits that's not going to work so well.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

The conspiracy theorist in me is starting to wonder if these stupid articles are part of a plot to normalize the idea of cramming an entire family into a bachelor apartment or storage shed 'tiny house' in order to further minimize the expectations of the working populace of this country.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

The conspiracy theorist in me is starting to wonder if these stupid articles are part of a plot to normalize the idea of cramming an entire family into a bachelor apartment or storage shed 'tiny house' in order to further minimize the expectations of the working populace of this country.
Oh it totally is, and it's working - Burning Man type people on FB keep fetishizing cozy shipping container homes and #vanlife and prefabricated hobbit holes and it drives me nuts

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

I'm not sure it's like an organized conspiracy level plot. As much as it's being pushed by developers and politicians, it's also being boosted simply by people forced to live in those conditions trying to rationalize things and make them selves feel better about their lives. It's much nicer to think of yourself as a progressive minimalist helping the planet by rejecting consumerism and living a more "sustainable" life than the victim of a failing economic system trapped in a garbage city in a seemingly never ending housing bubble.

When you're forced to swallow rapidly diminishing quality of life it goes down easier with some smug progressive sugar. "no no I'm living like this on purpose, it's like a movement, I totally love it"

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

quote:

Hey folks, I know we focus mostly on Vancouver and gvrd area but I wanted to post a little bit about Fraser valley. I've been following some sales closely and everything I've seen so far is selling under listed. A lot of places have been going up to 50K under which is huge when the price of the house is 600K. A lot of properties are also listed for more than a month or two. Sales are down and I only see them going lower since it's much harder to qualify for a mortgage at this point.

I've also attended a few open houses in Chilliwack and Abbotsford area. Last weekend I went to 3 open houses in Chilliwack. All three were during peak times and no one was there besides me. I was getting the Grand tour of places since no one else showed up. Just to give you guys an idea of what's been happening lately in other parts of the valley. This is only regarding single detached homes. I've not focused on townhouse or condo sales.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It always starts in the most ridiculous far flung exurbs that had no business getting bubbly in the first place, then rapidly collapses further and further the core.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Femtosecond posted:

The startup zoning is such a terrible idea. By baking in such narrow wording into the zoning the city has made the property extra inflexible. What happens if there's a tech downturn and demand for these spaces decreases? Well then you have the situation of Great Northern Way, which a previous council zoned for "high tech" use in 1999, but has remained a parking lot ever since because the area was never trendy enough for tech companies and the land owners can't do anything else with the land. The city is just making work for some future council that is going to spend time to undo this later.

If it wasn't for the fact that these meetings are at like 5pm and impossible to attend, it would have considered going and asking council if they were even considering the scenario where Hootsuite doesn't become a success, Vancouver's tech ecosystem stagnates and what happens then.

Recall all those articles from a few months ago about investors (foreign and local) starting to wildly speculate on commercial and industrial land and driving up valuations. This is going to have a big direct impact on small businesses all over Vancouver, but especially in Mount Pleasant.

The city is also now floating the idea of putting housing into the False Creek Flats industrial area, which seems totally contradictory to what I thought the broad goals of the area were. This will drive up valuations, increase taxes on businesses, and undermine industrial use. I could see a lot of businesses being displaced by this.

And just like with the Molson Brewery property, long-standing industrial users shall bend the knee before The Market. Hail! HAIL!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

THC posted:

Oh it totally is, and it's working - Burning Man type people on FB keep fetishizing cozy shipping container homes and #vanlife and prefabricated hobbit holes and it drives me nuts

There's nothing inherently wrong with any of these, gramps, as long as they aren't trying to force alternative living on the general populace. We need the general populace to uphold the status quo of normality so that those economic gears keep turning and I keep making money.

I still plan to live in a van, it suits my career and life goals a drat sight better than renting a room for four months at a time or signing on to a fuckin' mortgage. And when I do get old enough for the latter, it'll be to build some hippy hobbit hole far enough away from you city fucks that I won't have to listen to your conformist yammering anymore. :colbert:

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Rime posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with any of these, gramps, as long as they aren't trying to force alternative living on the general populace. We need the general populace to uphold the status quo of normality so that those economic gears keep turning and I keep making money.

I still plan to live in a van, it suits my career and life goals a drat sight better than renting a room for four months at a time or signing on to a fuckin' mortgage. And when I do get old enough for the latter, it'll be to build some hippy hobbit hole far enough away from you city fucks that I won't have to listen to your conformist yammering anymore. :colbert:

If people wanna live in shipping containers they can go for it. It sure as poo poo shouldn't cost them $200,000+ to do though.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the last signal... posted:

If people wanna live in shipping containers they can go for it. It sure as poo poo shouldn't cost them $200,000+ to do though.

You think they are making anymore shipping containers?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

I still plan to live in a van, it suits my career and life goals a drat sight better than renting a room for four months at a time or signing on to a fuckin' mortgage.

Have you considered the potential impacts of this on your dating life?

Like I know there is a subset of folks who would be cool with going back to a van beside the park to get down but it's a pretty small one and a lot of them are white people with dreadlocks who don't shave their junk at all.

Someone has to ask the important questions here.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Federal parliament complicit in property money laundering

By Leith van Onselen

Last week we got confirmation that dodgy Chinese money continues to pile into Australian property:

Australian financial intelligence officials last year investigated more than $3.3 billion of suspect transfers by Chinese investors — including $1bn invested in property…

The figures lay bare the scale of Chinese investment in the Australian property market as well as the concerns of officials in Beijing and Australia about investors rorting foreign ownership regulations…

Austrac’s own reporting… found that the most property-­related fund transfers from China reported to the agency were linked to Victoria, followed by NSW …sources say rorting is rife, with foreign buyers using a variety of scams to get their money out of China…

At their most basic, the scams involve using a network of friends and family members to transfer multiples of $US50,000 into Australia, where it is collected and used by a trusted agent to buy property.

More sophisticated scams ­involve buying homes through a web of incorporated companies or through Chinese permanent residents. Neither entity is ­restricted by conditions on property purchases.

Today there’s more confirmation, with reports emerging that there has been a huge surge in foreign buyers paying cash for off-the-plan apartments. From The AFR:

The proportion of foreign investors paying cash to settle new Melbourne apartment acquisitions has surged to more than 35 per cent…

Nick Holuigue, a partner in law firm Maddocks’s development practice, said there had been an “unusually high percentage of cash buyers”…

Evan Cathcart, a director at Three Sixty Property Group, which sells apartments and townhouses off-the-plan into China (including Ikebana) said there had been a “huge surge in cash buyers in the past 12 months or so”…

A Melbourne-based Chinese estate agent who asked not to be named said it was quite possible that Chinese buyers were paying 100 per cent cash for new apartments.

“While there are capital controls, there are tons of ways to get around it. My partners having used these channels to transfer cash across for Melbourne purchases. If these buyers have enough connections on the Chinese side, it can be done,” he said.

Under Australia’s existing Anti-Money Laundering (AML) regime [the first tranche implemented in 2006], only financial institutions are required to report suspicious transactions to Austrac.

The Turnbull Government recently deferred indefinitely the promised second tranche implementation of AML rules for real estate gate-keepers, which have been in limbo since the federal government first promised to bring them into the regulatory in 2003. This deferral came despite explicit criticism from the global regulator, the Paris-based Financial Action Taskforce, that Australian homes are a haven for laundered funds, particularly from China, as well as similar warnings from Austrac.

The end result is that realtors, lawyers, accountants and other real estate gate keepers are currently exempted from AML requirements. And this exemption has provided an easy avenue for foreign buyers to launder funds through Australian property.

Perversely, if somebody wants to set up an account to place a $100 bet at Sportsbet, or invest $1,000 into a managed fund, then they must provide sufficient identification under the AML Act. But if they want to launder millions of dollars through an Australian home, few questions are asked. It makes no sense.

Clearly, the Australian Government is tacitly complicit with the dirty foreign money flooding into Australian property. The Coalition has already shown its hand in deferring the implementation of the second tranche. But where are Labor and The Greens on this issue? Why won’t they lobby to end a decade of neglect and bring Australia’s real estate gatekeepers into the AML net – as demanded by FATF and Austrac, promised by the federal government in 2003, and intended when the AML legislation was first drafted in 2006?

Will our politicians please stand up?

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2017/02/federal-parliament-complicit-property-money-laundering/

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

the last signal... posted:

It's been my plan for some time to secure some land up north and put a "tiny" home on it but the reason I began looking into that kind of lifestyle years ago is because it's too loving expensive to live "normally" in a suburb or a city for me, and now even that is too expensive without the bubble bursting

gently caress all these hipster douchebags freezing their asses off during the winter because they forgot they were building a home and not a loving play fort for 8 year olds so they didn't add any insulation, or rich assholes pretending they've gone galt because daddy's bank account paid for their 300 acre fuckfruit farm

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Natural Resource Forum: "our greatest natural resource is our people"

"Look at our tech sector growth. 3.3% every year."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tighclops posted:

gently caress all these hipster douchebags freezing their asses off during the winter because they forgot they were building a home and not a loving play fort for 8 year olds so they didn't add any insulation, or rich assholes pretending they've gone galt because daddy's bank account paid for their 300 acre fuckfruit farm

Tell me more about these fruit farms.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

The Butcher posted:

Have you considered the potential impacts of this on your dating life?

Like I know there is a subset of folks who would be cool with going back to a van beside the park to get down but it's a pretty small one and a lot of them are white people with dreadlocks who don't shave their junk at all.

lol even those people would be able to see through his try-hard non-conformist wannabe act so i dont think itll be much of a problem

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm still hacking my way through hundreds of CanPol posts but since I'm caught up with this one I thought I'd throw this up:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I'm still hacking my way through hundreds of CanPol posts but since I'm caught up with this one I thought I'd throw this up:

Jenny Kwan Skrillex?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
She does good work

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I worked with a guy that lived in a van in Vancouver a couple of years ago. He knew all of the parks that didn't lock their toilets at night and even had a small chemical camp toilet onboard. After listening to his stories I really don't know why the rest of us choose to live in houses and condos like the loving sheep we are.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Some of us enjoy bathing and have sex lives

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Is there much practical difference between a 600sq ft microcondo/lane house and a van aside from $2k a month?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
lol goddamn you're posh. You can just live in a park why do you even need a van.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

cowofwar posted:

Is there much practical difference between a 600sq ft microcondo/lane house and a van aside from $2k a month?

Is there much practical difference between a dumpster and a van aside from what you spend on gas, insurance, and parking?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

cowofwar posted:

plumbing, electricity, internet, a mailing address

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Plumbing that doesn't connect to a bucket? General lack of piss jars?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

This is my ideal place. Near rail tracks, a SkyTrain line, industrial parks, and more!

Includes shade too!

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

lol goddamn you're posh. You can just live in a park why do you even need a van.

Pick the right one and your sex lives may actually improve because park loving.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Park loving: the Canadian tragedy of the commons.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What's the difference between van squatting and homelessness

Emancipation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

mashed_penguin posted:

I worked with a guy that lived in a van in Vancouver a couple of years ago. He knew all of the parks that didn't lock their toilets at night and even had a small chemical camp toilet onboard. After listening to his stories I really don't know why the rest of us choose to live in houses and condos like the loving sheep we are.

He could just park the van in a Walmart and use their toilet facilities, and/or join a 24 hour gym for shower facilities. He can also lift weights too.