Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hotline Miami 2 had a kickass limited edition vinyl run of the ost I would kill for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm pretty certain this has already been brought up before but as someone mentioned DOOM's music, I love how they hid an easteregg in the Cyberdemon's boss music that you can only see with a spectrogram:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_o8AWu2N4

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dNXPwB7lsQ

The...creativity of Hitman's community astounds and frightens me. :allears:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Sunswipe posted:

Same when the random number gods smile on you in FTL and your ship is so well-equipped you just curb stomp the rebel flagship.

One time I got 4 of the pulse lasers or whatever before I was halfway through. My ship was otherwise nothing special, but it didn't need to be and I just completely stomped everything in a way that should have been boring but was super satisfying at the time.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atmus posted:

One time I got 4 of the pulse lasers or whatever before I was halfway through. My ship was otherwise nothing special, but it didn't need to be and I just completely stomped everything in a way that should have been boring but was super satisfying at the time.

This is how I beat the game the first time. That and a full 3-Mantis boarding team combined with 12 hits of laser per volley meant poo poo got wrecked.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Atmus posted:

Having as many multi-shot lasers as possible is pretty much the only reliable way to deal with the flagship.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Who What Now posted:

Having as many multi-shot lasers as possible is pretty much the only reliable way to deal with the flagship.

I never not post this any chance I get but in this case also untrue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdeoCJ4q26o&t

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Atmus posted:

It would get boring if it happened every time, but it's a glorious revenge when it happens rarely. And the burst laser II is hands down the best weapon in the game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I love FTL but eventually I was just too much in love with boarding parties and all i did every game was try to collect mantis and rockmen and board everything all the time forever.

it was extremely effective but felt a little too optimal, to the point where variation on that theme felt I was just intentionally handicapping myself rather than exploring alternate strategies.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I only ever legitimately beat FTL twice, and both of those times I thrashed the flagship by virtue of getting lucky with rockmen and lasers. Every other time I'd get pounded into dust after a couple of volleys.

Even when I cheated, I still never really did better than both of the lucky ships I managed to build.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tumble posted:

I only ever legitimately beat FTL twice, and both of those times I thrashed the flagship by virtue of getting lucky with rockmen and lasers. Every other time I'd get pounded into dust after a couple of volleys.

Even when I cheated, I still never really did better than both of the lucky ships I managed to build.

Are you maximizing your jumps?

Always plan the most lucrative route through any sector, the specter or RNG can still gently caress you but I've been able to consistently beat the game by planning a route to hit as many areas as possible, I've even won with some terrible builds purely because of how prepared my crew was.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

My favorite playthrough ended with 2x Flak 3 and a pike beam with weapons pre-igniter.

That stupid ship was toast so fast....

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You just need to have a strategy for dealing with the missiles and power surge, while trying to thin the crew.

Or just get enough beam weapons to take it out in a single volley, that's always fun.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Agent355 posted:

I love FTL but eventually I was just too much in love with boarding parties and all i did every game was try to collect mantis and rockmen and board everything all the time forever.

it was extremely effective but felt a little too optimal, to the point where variation on that theme felt I was just intentionally handicapping myself rather than exploring alternate strategies.

This was true before the Advanced Edition. Material gains from boarding were lowered, and there was a fuckton of counters to boarding added to the point that reliably boarding is one of the harder ways to play the game.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Another small thing from FFXIV: if there's a large group of people around, the game adds a bunch of crowd noise to the music to simulate the conversation going on around you.

(I should know; my current early-game questline currently goes through the area that you hang out in to party up for one of the end-game dungeons)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hundreds of hours in vermintide, and blasting away a special rat in one shot with the handgun before it can do anything still floods my brain with appalling amounts of dopamine

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Speaking of FFXV, was fighting some annoying flying dudes and since i didn't have an extra gun to use i kept spamming Prompto's gun attack. Eventually Noctis goes "IGNIS...no wait i mean PROMPTO!" and when the camera swooshed over to Prompto, he looked confused for a second or two and then did his attack.

I'm about 50 hours into that game now and i'm still finding new things :allears:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Sunswipe posted:

It would get boring if it happened every time, but it's a glorious revenge when it happens rarely. And the burst laser II is hands down the best weapon in the game.

Another really awesome build I had enabled me to set everything on fire. The whole rebel ship was on fire simultaneously. I think that was the first time I saw what happened when you killed the whole crew on it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just realized what the implications of the Old Hunters DLC in bloodborne is and my mind is all :psyboom:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Alteisen posted:

I just realized what the implications of the Old Hunters DLC in bloodborne is and my mind is all :psyboom:

Don't know if it's already been discussed, but mind sharing?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Don't know if it's already been discussed, but mind sharing?

Its the nightmare of certain people that are considered heroes.

Ludwig in terms of game lore is supposed to be a big hero, in reality he murdered god knows how many people then ultimately became a beast himself, I mean his arena is a literal pile of corpses strewn about everywhere.

Maria and the hosed up research hall, essentially giving the implication that she knew all about the horrific poo poo happening but did nothing.

The fishing village is where the church fights and the streets run red with blood, its the old Yharnam, possibly the very first one.

And the hub area itself of the nightmare is where hunters end up and go completely insane, all they live for is to kill.

Its hell, a literal hell for hunters and a much worse fate for some of them.

Whether or not Maria killed herself is open to interpretation, it seems self inflicted when you find her.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well for starters that's not a sun.

Thats a pupil.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Lovecraft/cosmic horror streak in Bloodborne has always been what puts it above the other souls games for me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
That's certainly one interesting way to look at the old hunters DLC. My personal favorite take on it is this;
It's the past. The deeper into the content you go, the deeper into the hunters' past you go until you arrive at what started all this poo poo in Yharnam with the hunters as we know them, and that is the old one at the fishing village. I think the more common theory is that it's Gehrman's nightmare specifically, a nightmare of people he knew and lost and of whatever happened in that village that still haunts him. Presumably something to do with killing the offspring of the old one.

It's probably some of the best souls series storytelling, right up there with the first Dark Souls just because it manages to not only tell the story it intends to, but it leaves so many of the details in shadow that it's intriguing and a lot of theories can fit the pieces together.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Well the Hunter's Nightmare is a kind of collective nightmare of all the hunters and church officials doomed by their actions in Yharnam. As you tread through you are going backward through history, to the original sin which dooms all Yharnamites.

It's really cool and some of the best storytelling in the souls series. That kind of poo poo is why I would argue that Bloodborne is even above DkS1 in terms of worldbuilding.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Glukeose posted:

Well the Hunter's Nightmare is a kind of collective nightmare of all the hunters and church officials doomed by their actions in Yharnam. As you tread through you are going backward through history, to the original sin which dooms all Yharnamites.

It's really cool and some of the best storytelling in the souls series. That kind of poo poo is why I would argue that Bloodborne is even above DkS1 in terms of worldbuilding.

Hold up

Are you saying in the non nightmare world hunters or whomever killed a son of a great one thus dooming yharam forever?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Alteisen posted:

Hold up

Are you saying in the non nightmare world hunters or whomever killed a son of a great one thus dooming yharam forever?

Not quite. They found an old one, possibly killed it. Old ones are sympathetic to humanity, but don't know how to interact with them. The fishing village people (one of them at least) murmur about cursing the people who did the killing, as well as their descendants, so it might have created the nightmare. They couldn't have killed the child because old one children are all stillborn in reality, so the nightmare is the only place it can exist, possibly making the nightmare a dual purposed thing.

But the whole descendants thing might apply to organizations too, like the healing church and such, so....

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ashsaber posted:

Not quite. They found an old one, possibly killed it. Old ones are sympathetic to humanity, but don't know how to interact with them. The fishing village people (one of them at least) murmur about cursing the people who did the killing, as well as their descendants, so it might have created the nightmare. They couldn't have killed the child because old one children are all stillborn in reality, so the nightmare is the only place it can exist, possibly making the nightmare a dual purposed thing.

But the whole descendants thing might apply to organizations too, like the healing church and such, so....

It, and maybe I've watched too many lore speculation videos on the subject, kind of sounds like they're not just murmuring about cursing people but it does kind of sound like they're talking about either stealing or killing "her baby" which could imply they didn't actually kill the offspring of the old one during the original incident but instead kidnapped it to experiment with blood. But as a whole it definitely looks like the fishing village basically had some kind of symbiotic life going on with the old one there, even the slugs you see all around the village look kind of like the thing you turn into in one of the endings. Seems like whatever happened, the hunters hosed it up big time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If killing that screamy obnoxious piece of trash is wrong then I don't want to be right. let us cleanse these foul streets

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Digirat posted:

If killing that screamy obnoxious piece of trash is wrong then I don't want to be right. let us cleanse these foul streets

Killing the Orphan/Sweet Child of Kos is basically euthanasia, since it's the lynchpin holding the Hunter's Nightmare together. Yharnam's original sin was Byrgenwerth aborting the Sweet Child from Kos (which might have been the only Great One to ever successfully give a live birth) and using its blood as the foundation of all their experiments.

The big twist of the Hunter's Nightmare DLC is that you spend the game fighting to free the Great Ones from Yharnam, not the other way around.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ohhhh ohhhhh
sweet child of kos

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

Killing the Orphan/Sweet Child of Kos is basically euthanasia, since it's the lynchpin holding the Hunter's Nightmare together. Yharnam's original sin was Byrgenwerth aborting the Sweet Child from Kos (which might have been the only Great One to ever successfully give a live birth) and using its blood as the foundation of all their experiments.

I thought Ebrietas was the source of the blood? I need to rewatch a lore video some time.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Alteisen posted:

Hold up

As I understood it, the fishing hamlet worshipped Kos and was granted a boon in the form of the slugs a-la Shadow Over Innsmouth. The hunters and church came one day, and began to kidnap and torture the locals, largely under Gehrman's direction. For that act, the hunters and church were doomed to suffer in the nightmare.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

ohhhh ohhhhh
sweet child of kosm

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
she's got eeeeeyes
on the iiiiiinside

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

haveblue posted:

she's got eeeeeyes
on the iiiiiinside

She's got eyes and they're made of bees?

(I haven't played the game in question)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

She's got eyes and they're made of bees?

(I haven't played the game in question)

what you need are more eyes

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

some would say kosm

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Do you hear our prayers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

haveblue posted:

The Lovecraft/cosmic horror streak in Bloodborne has always been what puts it above the other souls games for me.

I really wasn't feeling Bloodborne until I was wandering around in the early game and a giant invisible amygdala tossed me around like a rag doll out of nowhere. I was also pretty drunk at the time and had to immediately do it again to make sure I wasn't losing my mind.