Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Subyng posted:

Any Toronto/Canada goons know how much it costs here to train Judo?

it shouldn't be expensive, judo is subsidized by the government because it's an olympic sport, in montreal I can point at a few places that train you for 80$ a month or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Subyng posted:

Any Toronto/Canada goons know how much it costs here to train Judo?

One of the nice things about judo is that it's cheap as far as MAs classes go.

I'm in Canada (not Toronto) and for a whole year (well 29 weeks since that club closes for the summer) my club is 185$ for 1 time a week, 255$ for twice a week and 315$ for 3 times a week.

I'd expect prices to be around that for the cheapest clubs in Toronto

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Ah okay. My former uni runs classes and you don't have to be a student to join, $110 for a semester 2 times a week sounds like a steal then.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Subyng posted:

Ah okay. My former uni runs classes and you don't have to be a student to join, $110 for a semester 2 times a week sounds like a steal then.
you talking about the UofT Judo club? The instruction is great and it caters more towards adults vs kids. Jorge is really well known in the judo scene.

For other cheap clubs that give good instruction you can try Ronin Judo and Annex Judo. All 3 clubs are vastly different from one another so it will mostly come down to personal preference.

If you don't mind dropping more than $100/month in the city for 2x week, another option is to check out Revolution MMA. I think they still offer judo classes plus you'll also have the option of checking out muay thai and BJJ.

e: I can't read - $110 per semester is pretty cheap.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 22, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
When going hand-to-hand with extraterrestrials, if you open with a reverse punch, expect to be steeple blocked:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26903...e-was-abducted/

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

kimbo305 posted:

When going hand-to-hand with extraterrestrials, if you open with a reverse punch, expect to be steeple blocked:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26903...e-was-abducted/
Aliens are powerless before the TKD one-step.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Just buy gravity boots

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I just saw the most realistic portrayal of BJJ-for-self-defence that I've seen in a film: Green Room (2015). It's a thriller about nazi punks and it was very believable in every respect. If you've ever been at a punk or black metal show that skinheads have crashed, it feels so real. There's one character who trains a little bit and it becomes a plot point.

I thought it was an excellent movie, so I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it. I'll wait until a couple of you have seen it before discussing it. Warning: contains extremely gross/believable knife violence. It just got added to Australian Netflix.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I just saw the most realistic portrayal of BJJ-for-self-defence that I've seen in a film: Green Room (2015). It's a thriller about nazi punks and it was very believable in every respect. If you've ever been at a punk or black metal show that skinheads have crashed, it feels so real. There's one character who trains a little bit and it becomes a plot point.

I thought it was an excellent movie, so I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it. I'll wait until a couple of you have seen it before discussing it. Warning: contains extremely gross/believable knife violence. It just got added to Australian Netflix.

Green Room is brilliant, I didn't like the way they set it up and explained that he did bjj but I did enjoy the use of it when it was used.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Agreeing with this. Green Room was good and so was its portrait of BJJ. It also stars an evil Patrick Stewart which is funny to me for some reason. And ya its knife violence is pretty disturbing so be warned

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Green Room is brilliant, I didn't like the way they set it up and explained that he did bjj but I did enjoy the use of it when it was used.

Did I manage to completely miss that? Spoilers I guess he put a dude in an armbar and threatened him by saying something like "in a tournament I'd stop when you tap" .

I thought that was the first you heard of it. I thought it was great how it efficiently told you everything you need to know without breaking up the action - if the audience doesn't recognise bjj that's fine, you get the point that he competes in some kind of wrestling/judo/whatever, you don't need some shoe-horned in scene where he turns to the camera and explains that he does jiu-jitsu, a submission grappling martial art. If they did actually do that I totally missed it.

Similar note - I saw the first Lethal Weapon the other day. It's mentioned a few times that Mel Gibson knows jiu-jitsu, and then in the final fight he does actually finish Gary Busey with a triangle. It's an 80s action film, I assumed "jiu jitsu" just meant generic movie-martial arts and the fight would all be spinning back fists and poo poo (ok most of it is)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Magnus Manfist posted:

Did I manage to completely miss that?

One of the other bandmates says "settle down, jiujitsu" when he is getting angry at the promoter with the mohawk.

The touches I really liked in that movie included:
Asking somebody else to watch for "when he goes out", them being confused when he's conscious again ten seconds later, and then them having no idea how long it actually takes to kill someone with a RNC. Which is something I've always wondered and never got a solid answer about. I think it's a surprisingly long time, more than a minute? Longer? I also liked how he wouldn't disengage the armbar until somebody had a gun pointed at the dude's head, and I liked how it seemed to take a lot of violent effort to do the actual arm break. I think somebody asked that exact question in the grappling thread recently, wondering how much force it took to actually break the arm. I also like how the guy didn't come across as an expert, but more like a blue belt.

Magnus Manfist posted:

Similar note - I saw the first Lethal Weapon the other day. It's mentioned a few times that Mel Gibson knows jiu-jitsu, and then in the final fight he does actually finish Gary Busey with a triangle. It's an 80s action film, I assumed "jiu jitsu" just meant generic movie-martial arts and the fight would all be spinning back fists and poo poo (ok most of it is)

Rorion Gracie was a 'technical advisor' on that film, I think it was their first big hollywood break.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Magnus Manfist posted:

It's so sloppy too

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lethal Weapon is one of my fav movies of all time

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking of going to the Wing Chun and Aikido classes in my local area to get a feel for them, any problems with studying two martial arts at once? Anyone have any experience with Wing Chun or Aikido?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bowmore posted:

I was thinking of going to the Wing Chun and Aikido classes in my local area to get a feel for them, any problems with studying two martial arts at once? Anyone have any experience with Wing Chun or Aikido?

No problems studying two at once if you can keep from getting your wires crossed and accept that your progression may be impaired a bit just due to splitting your attention.

The thread isn't particularly fond of Wing Chun and Aikido, I should warn you. I advise you to ignore any subsequent shitposts, and just try them out and see if you enjoy them. But take any "you don't see this from guys who train UFC [sic] because it's too deadly" kind of discourse with a healthy grain of salt, because TMAs like that pretty much only exist now by packaging their conservative techniques in thick layers of excuses and mysticism. Also check the OP section for finding good gyms - avoid contracts, high pressure sales, and other McDojo scams. If they don't offer a free class, just walk away and don't think twice about it.

If they seem like honest people who aren't selling lies and snake oil, and who are just out for cool fun pyjama fight times, then enjoy.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nothing wrong with doing two arts at once, aikido and wing chun are both pretty hokey though.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bowmore posted:

Welllllll.... There are political issues that may arise and there are practical issues.

Practically if you train more than one art at a time, you will not be as proficient in that one art, than if you spent all of your time, the exception is if you do a complementary art it may help your progression a bit once you get to a certain point i.e train BJJ for awhile, then start Judo to make your throws better.

Politically; some gyms REALLY don't like you going to train other arts at other places. Like REALLY don't like it. A lot of martial artists look at their gym and their style like a really hardcore sports fan, if that fan would hate you forever if you even LOOKED at another teams games.

I have experience with the Chun. Don't do it unless you want to go be an action star in Hollywood or you think it looks cool. If you want to do it because you like Chinese culture go find some place that does San Shou or San Da.

CommonShore posted:

TMAs like that pretty much only exist now by packaging their conservative techniques in thick layers of excuses and mysticism. Also check the OP section for finding good gyms - avoid contracts, high pressure sales, and other McDojo scams. If they don't offer a free class, just walk away and don't think twice about it.

If they seem like honest people who aren't selling lies and snake oil, and who are just out for cool fun pyjama fight times, then enjoy.

This goes double for Chun. The sensei worship is unbelievable sometimes.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 2, 2017

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why is aikido considered hokey?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

bowmore posted:

Because 80% of aikido people believe it is magic

Piell fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 2, 2017

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bowmore posted:

Two reasons:
Some practitioners believes it works in a street fight and..
A lot of BJJ, etc thinks it it doesn't work in a street fight , then it's hokey.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

If you go to learn what, for the sake of this analogy, is a fighting art, and it wouldn't help you at all in a fight, and would in fact probably get you beaten up if you tried it, then you have accidentally learned dancing. Dancing is cool, and will get you fit whilst having fun, but there are better dance styles than Aikido.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Two reasons:
Some practitioners believes it works in a street fight and..
A lot of BJJ, etc thinks it it doesn't work in a street fight , then it's hokey.

Have you ever seen aikido practiced on a resisting opponent? Yeah, neither have I.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yeah Aikido isn't taught in a very practical way. They teach you how to throw someone who is trying to punch you, but they say "no, punch like *this*" and demonstrate a super exaggerated haymaker where you step forward way too far and nearly fall over on your own. Then they drill it and go "right, you can now stop punches." It's so codified that it probably hasn't accepted any new input since the 1940s, and there's no attempt to improve what's being taught over time. So if you'd like to learn how to block hollywood punches that will never be thrown at you, go for it. If you want a fat white guy to get mad at you for attempting to mimic a real punch, try aikido.

When people want to try aikido, judo is usually what they're actually looking for: an effective, scalable toolkit for self-defence built around a philosophy of non-violence. (by scalable, i mean you can crank it up and down from "pacify an aggressor without hurting them" to "murderous rage" as a situation warrants.) (also, I stole that description from somebody in this thread)

Judo, BJJ, Sambo etc are all similarly cool and will simultaneously get you fit while also turning you into a bit of a weapon. Boxing and Muay Thai are both great if you want to hit people.

Wing chun is not quite as bad... it can't handle grappling or any kind of rotational strike, but you might learn some cool stuff. They tend to be very culty, though. They'll spend a lot of time explaining to you why they are the ultimate art while never being able to actually demonstrate said superiority on any kind of skilled opponent.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

JaySB posted:

Have you ever seen aikido practiced on a resisting opponent? Yeah, neither have I.

And so what?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

If you aren't learning martial arts to be able to use it if needed then go learn something you can actually use, like dancing or juggling.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Piell posted:

If you aren't learning martial arts to be able to use it if needed then go learn something you can actually use, like dancing or juggling.

Why? It still teaches discipline, manners and respect. It (if taught properly) teaches you how to use your body and it'll keep your reasonably fit.
Do I think that a lot of the techniques are bullshit in terms of practicality? Sure, but if people enjoy, improve themselves and don't go out and try to pick fight when drunk (Which I've seen plenty of kickboxers, BJJ's, etc do), then I can see absolutely nothing wrong with practicing it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I feel like 'discipline, humility and respect' are byproducts of learning any difficult physical endeavour, anything where you have to grind out improvements over time.

When a TMA that lacks those ingredients claims to build character, I think they're advertising fire when they only have smoke.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Yeah Aikido isn't taught in a very practical way. They teach you how to throw someone who is trying to punch you, but they say "no, punch like *this*" and demonstrate a super exaggerated haymaker where you step forward way too far and nearly fall over on your own. Then they drill it and go "right, you can now stop punches." It's so codified that it probably hasn't accepted any new input since the 1940s, and there's no attempt to improve what's being taught over time. So if you'd like to learn how to block hollywood punches that will never be thrown at you, go for it. If you want a fat white guy to get mad at you for attempting to mimic a real punch, try aikido.

When people want to try aikido, judo is usually what they're actually looking for: an effective, scalable toolkit for self-defence built around a philosophy of non-violence. (by scalable, i mean you can crank it up and down from "pacify an aggressor without hurting them" to "murderous rage" as a situation warrants.) (also, I stole that description from somebody in this thread)

Judo, BJJ, Sambo etc are all similarly cool and will simultaneously get you fit while also turning you into a bit of a weapon. Boxing and Muay Thai are both great if you want to hit people.

Wing chun is not quite as bad... it can't handle grappling or any kind of rotational strike, but you might learn some cool stuff. They tend to be very culty, though. They'll spend a lot of time explaining to you why they are the ultimate art while never being able to actually demonstrate said superiority on any kind of skilled opponent.
so aikido teaches you how to defend yourself from drunks

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
in all seriousness thanks for the replies

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Why? It still teaches discipline, manners and respect.
Hey rear end in a top hat, before you go moving the goalposts, your original smug rear end assertion was regarding street-fighting.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I feel like 'discipline, humility and respect' are byproducts of learning any difficult physical endeavour, anything where you have to grind out improvements over time.

When a TMA that lacks those ingredients claims to build character, I think they're advertising fire when they only have smoke.
At least for traditional Japanese stuff like aikido or iaido, graduation exams serve that requiremet. It's not "real" like competition, but at least over here you need to demonstrate improvement to get a new belt.

But lol at everyone who thinks martial arts have any use beyond being an excuse to hug sweaty dudes in this day and age.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Siivola posted:

But lol at everyone who thinks martial arts have any use beyond being an excuse to hug sweaty dudes in this day and age.

Uh, I've helped out bouncers and avoided being punched by drunk people a fair few times, and I'm fairly certain the training I've been doing over the years improved my ability not only physically but mentally as well.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Anyone know of any good resources for BJJ conditioning? Mostly cardio as I'm super out of shape, but supplemental strength stuff too, I guess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Patrovsky posted:

Anyone know of any good resources for BJJ conditioning? Mostly cardio as I'm super out of shape, but supplemental strength stuff too, I guess.

More BJJ until you can handle a few 5 minute rounds easily, and then HIIT if you want more cardio after that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

Uh, I've helped out bouncers and avoided being punched by drunk people a fair few times, and I'm fairly certain the training I've been doing over the years improved my ability not only physically but mentally as well.

:staredog: that Willie credits martial arts for his physical improvements.

:staredog: that Willie has improved mentally.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

bowmore posted:

in all seriousness thanks for the replies
What interests you in taking aikido and wing chun? What interests you in taking both at the same time? If it's for exercise, fun, and perhaps for a bit of culture immersion - go for it. But if you haven't trained a martial art before you might get a bit overwhelmed by the techniques taught in both arts. My opinion is if you do intend to pursue martial arts as a life long hobby it would be best to get a foundation in one art before learning a different one (unless the arts compliment each other, as KildarX mentions).

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

i'm not sure what your starting point was but your posting makes me want to immediately dismiss any notion of mental improvement

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Kekekela posted:

Hey rear end in a top hat, before you go moving the goalposts, your original smug rear end assertion was regarding street-fighting.

You still doing the morning classes at PH? I haven't been crushed in a while you should make it out at night...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Darlok posted:

You still doing the morning classes at PH? I haven't been crushed in a while you should make it out at night...

Got too busy with works to do mornings much to my great sorrow. I'll be up there tonight though :hfive: