Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

REED HOOD

So that's where the Fantastic Four went. No wonder nobody knows where they are, they're in a lovely DC book nobody reads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really hope Bane is still naked the whole time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So um Justice Lord Man still didn't appear in Superman and the arc is over now.

It was a good arc but I feel rather misled?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

BrianWilly posted:

So um Justice Lord Man still didn't appear in Superman and the arc is over now.

It was a good arc but I feel rather misled?
Was that image posted before really from the current issues? Because it looked pretty similar to how he was drawn in Justice League Beyond 2.0 so I was kind of curious.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The actual bad guy was a bunch of nothing interesting, so while I have no investment in whatever you guys were getting excited about, it could only have been better, so that's a shame.

Also, Captain Carrot getting his powers back was crap. I wanted the Kents to adopt him as a little bunny in a cape :/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 2, 2017

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Is DC seriously going to make snagglepuss gay? Can't wait for every comic to be about ID politics

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr President posted:

make snagglepuss gay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4qFxTTi8q0&t=8s

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Snagglepuss has been the Paul Lynde of cartoons for decades.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr President posted:

Is DC seriously going to make snagglepuss gay? Can't wait for every comic to be about ID politics

We get that you don't like gay people. You've made proclamation after proclamation about it. But Snagglepuss pretty much has been gay since he was invented. Just not explicitly so because you know he was a cartoon character from the '60s.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Snagglepuss can't be gay! This is a hill worth dying on!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The voice actor of Snagglepuss even said the character was gay.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Mr President is a really obvious bad troll I just like any opportunity to reference Paul Lynde.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

When I was a kid in the 1960's we'd call it a sissy, or just plain silly voice! We didn't have to think about guys porking each other at all as we skipped off to school after our cartoons.
At least there's hope of innocent times returning. M.A.G.A!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr President posted:

You know, after they depicted Barack Obama as Black over at Marvel, DC had to raise the stakes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snagglepuss? Gay? Well, I never!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Heavens to murgatroyd, even!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is Mr President also American Dracula?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Is Mr President also American Dracula?

If you're talking about the news and not comics, probably.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, he's definitely not the lovely poster that was banned days before he registered that just so happened to have almost the same exact views. Nope. Just a coincidence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

No, he's definitely not the lovely poster that was banned days before he registered that just so happened to have almost the same exact views. Nope. Just a coincidence.

LoL.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't know about comics, but it's kinda hosed they made Lara Croft a woman in the most recent video game.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I don't know about comics, but it's kinda hosed they made Lara Croft a woman in the most recent video game.

I'd say in the first game those sharp chest polygons were only about as suggestive as Snagglepuss' voice.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

We get that you don't like gay people. You've made proclamation after proclamation about it. But Snagglepuss pretty much has been gay since he was invented. Just not explicitly so because you know he was a cartoon character from the '60s.

Is there any actual proof from the creators that he was intended to be gay or are people just looking into it because of his coloring and flamboyant attitude? I'm legit curious about this.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If it makes you feel better, these comics aren't making lasting fundamental 'true' adjustments to the characters.
Next time Dick Dastardly shows up in a cartoon, they probably aren't going to mention the time he let his wife and child get vaporised.

edit: Or even the next comic where he's a jet pilot.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 2, 2017

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Snagglepuss is clearly gay, and I also suspect that Huckleberry Hound is gay. This is more controversial, but I think I could sustain the point.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr President posted:

Is there any actual proof from the creators that he was intended to be gay or are people just looking into it because of his coloring and flamboyant attitude? I'm legit curious about this.

I'm sorry, but every character you like is gay.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Please don't 'out' cartoon characters without their permission.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr President posted:

I'm legit curious about this.

Bullshit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr President posted:

They produced but never broadcast a cartoon where he has sex with Huckleberry Hound, so I think he was intended to be gay.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guys, I'm legit curious about this. I know I only come in here whenever news about DC is making a character a minority of some kind so I can complain about it because that's my one and only gimmick, but I'm legit curious about this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm surprised American Dracula hasn't complained about Riverdale making Moose closet gay.

And Reggie Asian, for that matter.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Mr President posted:

Why do you hate gay people so very much? What about their existence angers you so much that the main thing you care about is there being as few gay characters presented in fiction as possible?

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 2, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please don't try to argue with American Dracula Mr President in earnest.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Endless Mike posted:

Please don't try to argue with American Dracula Mr President in earnest.

If we keep showing him the truth one day he might figure it out we're not just being mean to him.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Why do you hate gay people so very much? What about their existence angers you so much that the main thing you care about is there being as few gay characters presented in fiction as possible?

No hate. I just want them to introduce new gay characters instead of being cowardly and retroactively making existing characters gay just to get headlines and free marketing.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

If we keep showing him the truth one day he might figure it out we're not just being mean to him.

I appreciate that. Like I said I mean no disrespect to the LGBTQA community I just don't like when this stuff feels forced.

Roth posted:

Guys, I'm legit curious about this. I know I only come in here whenever news about DC is making a character a minority of some kind so I can complain about it because that's my one and only gimmick, but I'm legit curious about this.

Sorry that I have a life outside of posting here that I have been VERY busy with. I did some research about Snagglepuss and surprise surprise there is 0 evidence the creators intended for him to be gay. Some internet ID politic obsessed liberals just began speculating that he was gay later on and made it into thing. Aside from that, I hope to post here more frequently without bringing up these sensitive topics. I am a longtime fan of DC Comics going back to the 80s and am generally a fan of what they are doing these days.

Mr President fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 2, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr President posted:

No hate. I just want them to introduce new gay characters instead of being cowardly and retroactively making existing characters gay just to get headlines and free marketing.

I hate to break the news to you but Hanna-Barbera isn't making new characters.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

I hate to break the news to you but Hanna-Barbera isn't making new characters.

This wasn't Hanna-Barbera's decision. It was DC's and Mark Russells.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I vaguely remember Snaglepuss from the cartoons I used to watch as a child and while I haven't been impressed or interested by DC's HB comics (or any of Russell's previous output) I have to say that the preview page is really good. Mainly because I think that is a beautiful message Rusell is telling.

Definitely something worth a look.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So this is a wild and insane thing but in many cases (I'd guess most honestly) gay people have to pretend to be straight to avoid a backlash.So if anything, having a traditionally "straight" character come out as gay is actually very realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr President posted:

I appreciate that. Like I said I mean no disrespect to the LGBTQA community I just don't like when this stuff feels forced.

The problem is that you and people like you claim that homosexuality is "forced" upon you every time a gay character exists anywhere you can see it. Thanks to reactions like that, retcons that make previously straight characters gay are anything but cowardly, since people like you take it as an opportunity to vent your distaste for the mere existence of gay/minority characters and frequently harass creators and editors for daring to diversify an industry that is still 90% straight white dudes in tights. People get doxxed over this, they get death threats and rape threats, and you've got the impressively sheltered gall to call the artists and writers cowardly.

In conclusion eat poo poo