Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Space Skeleton posted:

The best pics often seem to involve belts around planets.

I think you meant neutron stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

I think you meant neutron stars.

And white dwarfs. I should mention that, since you just posted a pic of one. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 2, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

And white dwarfs. I should mention that, since you just posted a pic of one. :v:

Yes, you're right, I forgot which shiny thing I took that picture in front of.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You can kit a decent conda for ~200M, but don't expect to hold your own in PVP until you have ~600M-1B to blow on it.

This is accurate. You can do most anything PVE for +-200 mil.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Do you need Horizons to do passenger stuff?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SkySteak posted:

A number of tourist waypoints are on planets so probably?

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

SkySteak posted:

No, passenger stuff is part of the base game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mr. Crow posted:

This is accurate. You can do most anything PVE for +-200 mil.

Money is a trivial thing only the lower classes worry about. You still need 400 hours of engineering grinding unless you want to be a total scrub. :smugdog:

(I didn't survive it :smith:)

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Your selfies are all ugly as gently caress

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So I'm kitting out my FDL, mainly for PvE bounty hunting at the moment. I'm considering the following loadouts, and would appreciate input as to which is the best and why.

1. 1x Class 4 Multicannon + 4x class 2 burst lasers
2. 1x Class 4 Cannon + 4x class 2 burst lasers
3. 1x Class 4 Burst Laser + 4x Class 2 Multicannon.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Thinking about getting this.. my buddy plays on xbone and is trying to get me to get it (for PC though). I hated EVE but this looks more arcadey. I'm on the fence about it.

Should I just buy the base game or get the 3 pack deal on Steam?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If arcades were like Elite there'd be scenes of advanced decomposition in every one.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Polish posted:

Thinking about getting this.. my buddy plays on xbone and is trying to get me to get it (for PC though). I hated EVE but this looks more arcadey. I'm on the fence about it.

Should I just buy the base game or get the 3 pack deal on Steam?

It's basically nothing like EVE at all other than being in space. Also make sure you understand that it is NOT cross platform in anyway except for like market data or whatever. You cannot play together or interact in any way on different platforms.

As for the version I would recommend just getting whatever brings up to current unless money is tight.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Hes considering getting it for Mac to play with goons.. I assume Mac and PC versions are compatible?

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Polish posted:

Hes considering getting it for Mac to play with goons.. I assume Mac and PC versions are compatible?

They are, but there's no Horizons for Mac due to the lovely out of date OpenGL Apple ship with OSX that doesn't support Compute Shaders.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Mu77ley posted:

They are, but there's no Horizons for Mac due to the lovely out of date OpenGL Apple ship with OSX that doesn't support Compute Shaders.

I told them they should have ported it to Linux instead (where OpenGL has all the required bells and whistles), but apparently I'm the only one who wants that.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
Are economy passenger missions still a good way to make money? Is there any particular system that is good for them?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Truth Quark posted:

Are economy passenger missions still a good way to make money? Is there any particular system that is good for them?

Get a ship with a bunch of first class cabins and a great jump range.

Pick a destination way out in the black.

Board scum until your first class cabins are full.

You can probably make 50M a cabin for anything past 10kly.

The other options is to run the little site seeing tours for 5-10 mill a pop.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mr. Crow posted:

Seems like multicrew is only viable for big ships? Which is disappointing, but not unexpected I guess.

Well, I'm hoping that the number of seats will match approx how many crew you can have, so you'll be able to stick a turret on your Adder or Cobra and go to town. Turretting the lower weapons on a cobra would probably be really good actually.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Truth Quark posted:

They killed the couple of systems I was using for bulk economy missions (the ones where they would all generate going to one other stop). On the brighter side, those systems are now very good for picking up sightseeing missions.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's funny how the game spawns pirates based on the worth of what you're flying.

In my DBS? An eagle threatens you. Who cares what combat rank it is, it's an eagle and therefore a clay pigeon.

In my python? Angry anaconda. Too much effort in a mission runner, I'll just boost and leave.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

DancingShade posted:

It's funny how the game spawns pirates based on the worth of what you're flying.

In my DBS? An eagle threatens you. Who cares what combat rank it is, it's an eagle and therefore a clay pigeon.

In my python? Angry anaconda. Too much effort in a mission runner, I'll just boost and leave.

Not gonna lie, NPC's haven't been able to pull my FCorv out of Supercruise for a couple updates, so I don't know what is coming after me anymore.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Yeah, it gets a bit obnoxious sometimes. Before my great journey to the other side of the galaxy, I had this fun idea of buying a Fed Dropship and fitting and engineering it into a smuggler/explorer-hybrid. Just because. But because it was an ultra-light explorer build and handled like rear end, it was basically unable to fight anything. It was just a fun little ship to fly around in for me. Then the game started spamming angry FDLs and Pythons all the time. Having to run away in 100% of all cases drained the fun away pretty fast.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

DancingShade posted:

Are you sure? Because I fly in my DBS/X all the time and get pulled over by angry vultures and FDLs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morter posted:

Are you sure? Because I fly in my DBS/X all the time and get pulled over by angry vultures and FDLs.

I'm sure that's what I experience yes.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mr. Crow posted:

Letting random players on to your ship is going to be chat roulette insanity. I think 90% of them are going to immediately open fire on stations.

This would get me to play elite dangerous for hours each day.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Do they really expect people to sit there and play turret gunner with their mouse while someone else flies the ship madly around?

Did the brain damaged "ww2 in space" autism from star citizen somehow infect this game?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:grin:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

Did brain damaged autism infect this game?

Search your heart.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

hakimashou posted:

Do they really expect people to sit there and play turret gunner with their mouse while someone else flies the ship madly around?

Did the brain damaged "ww2 in space" autism from star citizen somehow infect this game?

If the rewards are right (and that's highly unlikely knowing the Frontier forums) it's a perfect way to get new players and players that can't be bothered to goldrush when a new exploit comes up some much needed cash while still having them contribute.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Well they've already said that people will get full value for bounties, etc. soooooo....

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

hakimashou posted:

Worse yet, it's being forced on an unwilling community instead of the countless bug fixes and upgrades to immersion that we've been demanding for years. I'm sick and tired of Frontier only doling out half brained updates to 'pvp'ers and griefers, while us loyal fans since 86 have been tossed to the weighside, only given copy and pasted 'content' like the alien sites.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

hakimashou posted:

Yes, and it sounds fun as hell. And lets be serious "flying madly around" in elite is more akin to pushing a rusty shopping cart around the parking lot.

Going full Artemis Bridge Simulator would be better, but I'm looking forward to just turrets and fighters.

The massive grind and vertical progression made me quite elite, this patch will hopefully get me involved again.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well they've already said that people will get full value for bounties, etc. soooooo....

And once upon a time the ship and module shipping was announced with sensible numbers. Just because the initial annoucement sounds good doesn't mean it stays that way by the time it comes out.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Now give us a huge multicrew mining barge so we can strip mine asteroid belts

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eldragon posted:

The massive grind and vertical progression made me quite elite

Best typo ever

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Efexeye posted:

Now give us a huge multicrew mining barge so we can strip mine asteroid belts

omg this

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TorakFade posted:

Best typo ever

lol. I'd go fix it, but now I have to leave it.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Now to finally turn the tables a bit in a RES by just deploying fighters while mining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
They should have done a re-balance a long time ago to make mining pay out huge. It should be worthwhile to scoop 4 rocks in a sidewinder and you should feel like your life is in danger doing it so that it's fun and rewarding. Having a type 9 with protection wing should make everyone rich while a white knuckle battle happens around you.

• Locked thread