Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

My finalists are the Mariners (I live in Seattle), Mets and los doyers.

Final decision Friday. Give me opinions

Well, considering you live in Seattle and could go see the games live if you wanted ...

I'd go with the Dodgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
The New York Steven Matz.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

More Dodgers reasons:

-You get to root for and watch the best pitcher of this generation, Clayton Kershaw
-Corey Seager is p much the second coming of Cal Ripken Jr. and also clearly the better Seager brother
-Julio Urias may be the best 20 year old pitcher since Jose Fernandez
-Puig is still a spectacle, and will still do incredible things even if he isn't the world beater he could be.
-Smart front office with as big a budget as anyone in the game
-NL
-current ownership group didn't piss away millions with Bernie Madoff and financially hamstring themselves for years
-haven't been to a WS since 1988, so you're jumping on the bandwagon in time and joining a hungry fanbase
-the Giants are an easy team to hate, and it's the best rivalry in the game (fight me irl Yankee/Sox fans)
-Likely the best team of the final three you picked over the next several years

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 2, 2017

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Go for the Mariners and get to see Cruz mash and Cano rack up the solo home runs in games that have long been out of hand one way or the other.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Mariners because they've been trading nonstop and I don't even know who they do or don't have. It's like a mystery!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Mariners because baseball is supposed to be painful suffering :smith:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

More Dodgers reasons:

-You get to root for and watch the best pitcher of this generation, Clayton Kershaw
-Corey Seager is p much the second coming of Cal Ripken Jr. and also clearly the better Seager brother
-Julio Urias may be the best 20 year old pitcher since Jose Fernandez
-Puig is still a spectacle, and will still do incredible things even if he isn't the world beater he could be.
-Smart front office with as big a budget as anyone in the game
-NL
-current ownership group didn't piss away millions with Bernie Madoff and financially hamstring themselves for years
-haven't been to a WS since 1988, so you're jumping on the bandwagon in time and joining a hungry fanbase
-the Giants are an easy team to hate, and it's the best rivalry in the game (fight me irl Yankee/Sox fans)
-Likely the best team of the final three you picked over the next several years

-tried and buy their way to the World Series for almost a half decade
-hope you like lots of starting pitching (and a built in excuse, "if only our broken pitchers we bought broken were healthy! If only there was a way to know!")
-annual #kershawing pictures in the playoffs
-home games conveniently start in the third and end in the seventh

:wink:

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
Root for the Mariners! They will be entertaining to watch.

-Cano and Cruz are really good and fun to see hit (dingers galore), but will age finally catch up to them this year? tune in to find out!
-Felix was elite has seemingly dropped off, but it still feels like he could maybe toss a no-hitter at any time or strike out 20
-There are a ton of new players this year so you will be as knowledgeable about them as any other Ms fan, not a lot of lore to catch up on
-The GM loves to mess around and tweak the roster and make trades so there will always be stuff to read about
-Kyle Seager is a solid 3B who seems to go in 2 week feast or famine spurts and is kind of a dick but cool

-As a Mariner fan you will be required to get cautiously undeservedly overly optimistic if they are even doing kinda good
(but deep in your heart you will know they will always suck poo poo)
-The projected outfielders seems to be pretty good fielders so they will be running and jumping and sliding all over the place
-The TV crew isn't awful to watch, the usual play by play guy is "eh" but the color guy is good because he doesn't talk a lot
-They usually have an interesting novelty player like Willy Mo Pena or Muni Kawasaki or that fat Korean first baseman or Raul Ibanez fielding outfield

In conclusion, thank you for reading all this and considering the Mariners as your new team.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Choose the A's because their colors are cool and their front office keeps things interesting and stuff. New ballpark announcement soon, too, so you could even plan a trip around it!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Go with the dodgers

Or be smart

Go Yankees

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Arm_Fruit posted:

The New York Steven Matz.

This is the correct answer.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Go with the Dodgers so you can remember moments like this from your Cy Young beast of a pitcher every October

https://i.imgur.com/oIYooPa.mp4

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Mariners are a fun young team with a GM who rotates through players faster than anyone in baseball so, if you find yourself hating the team, just hang in there because you'll have a whole new set of players to root for really soon! They're going to get on base a ton and catch all the flyballs in the outfield.

Dan Vogelbach - The Hefty Lefty, dingers
Nelson Cruz - dingers
Kyle Seagar - one of the best finds in the draft in years. great defender. some dingers
Jean Segura - he fast
Jarrod Dyson - he really fast
Robinson Cano - The Yankees did not pick up his option (SAS joke). He's one of the smoothest fielding and hitting players in baseball. I love watching this guy just do things on the field and have never been a Mariners or Yankees fan.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pick the Dodgers and also Bobby Bonilla.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
honest question here for those posters who are smarter than me about advanced stats (re: everyone)

Is Hendricks due for a pretty significant regression? Don't pitchers who mainly pitch to contact fall victim to BABIP and are less consistent from year to year?

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
The Mariners only exist to cause you pain. But they've been bad for so long the pain is now a mere numbness. Safeco is a great place to watch a game though.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Your Taint posted:

honest question here for those posters who are smarter than me about advanced stats (re: everyone)

Is Hendricks due for a pretty significant regression? Don't pitchers who mainly pitch to contact fall victim to BABIP and are less consistent from year to year?

Probably but the Cubs defense is so good that it might not matter

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Jean Segura once stole 1st base (for the Brewers) so that's reason enough to cheer for the Mariners.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Your Taint posted:

There will be regression almost certainly. But fortunately he excels at inducing soft contact and that seems to be something that people can maintain, which can potentially keep his babip lower than league average. Just not as much as we saw in 2016

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

CubsWoo posted:

Go with the Dodgers so you can remember moments like this from your Cy Young beast of a pitcher every October

https://i.imgur.com/oIYooPa.mp4

God that game was so loving sick.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

IMB posted:

I'm still hard. That game was so loving awesome.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Jean Segura once stole 1st base (for the Brewers) so that's reason enough to cheer for the Mariners.

I miss him so much. Why couldn't they have put him at 2nd? Scooter is just barely average for a 2b and will never hit lefties so what's the difference really.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They are making a bobblehead of David Ross being carried off the field.
http://www.clarktoys.com/daroccu20wos2.html

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
David Ross is the come up goals.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Carlos Martinez extension breakdown:

2017: $4.5m
2018-2021: $11.5m per season
2022: $17m option
2023: $18m option

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Well, at least Trump is giving us great demonstrations of the circle change grip:

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/822494817594834946

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

Considering he's 25 and a bona fide ace in an era where pitchers are getting sacks of money thrown at them in FA? Yeah, 5/51 is a goddamn steal. :stare:

Doesn't take into account a lifetime Brazzers membership and a subscription to Playboy.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Team, player, or mutual options?

E: figured it out

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

-tried and buy their way to the World Series for almost a half decade
-hope you like lots of starting pitching (and a built in excuse, "if only our broken pitchers we bought broken were healthy! If only there was a way to know!")
-annual #kershawing pictures in the playoffs
-home games conveniently start in the third and end in the seventh

:wink:
see Dr. Angela Ziegler? The Giants aren't even on your final list but one of their posters was contractually obligated to take a swipe at the Dodgers reasons. This is the kind of high quality rivalry you can look forward to once you're on the bandwagon. No one cares enough about hating on the Mariners or Mets to do this.

IMB posted:

It was a sick joke that the one game I was able to motivate non-baseball friends to come watch with me in a bar was that game.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 2, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

Maybe. His BABIP allowed was significantly lower than any of his previous years (.250 vs .271/.296 in 2014/15) which would normally signal he's due for regression in a big way, but there are some caveats. For one, he also posted the best FIP of his career (3.20) which also happened to be the fourth best FIP in baseball among qualified SP, so there's something working for him beyond learning on the Cubs historically good defense. And speaking of that defense, it also isn't going anywhere: the only real changes are a small defensive downgrade in left (Schwarber vs Soler) and a small defensive upgrade in center (Almora & Jay vs Fowler).

The real test will be to see if Hendricks is able to keep his batted ball profile looking the same. Arguably the biggest key to his success last year was inducing a ton of soft and medium contact but very little hard contact. The ability to do that came from a lot of little adjustments Hendricks made during the season, and I can't help but think it took teams by surprise when a guy scouted as a two pitch pitcher with a sinker/change combo suddenly went out and started throwing four seam fastballs up and in and back-dooring curveballs. It's very possible the league will adjust to Hendricks this year and his batted ball profile will come back to earth, in which case he'll have a few games where he's smacked around. It's also possible that between the Cubs defense, the crazy amounts of deception Hendricks has baked into his mechanics, and his ability to induce weak contact will result in another 2-something ERA year.

So there's a lot of words to say we don't really know :v:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I hope someone splashes his adorable face with a cup full of money. CarMart/Reyes at the top of a rotation for a while could be pretty fun.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Isn't Almora a pretty big upgrade defensively over Fowler?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Ability-wise, probably. But Fowler made a huge jump just by adjusting his positioning so it might not be that pronounced. Almora should be a lot better than Jay, though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

see Dr. Angela Ziegler? The Giants aren't even on your final list but one of their posters was contractually obligated to take a swipe at the Dodgers reasons. This is the kind of high quality rivalry you can look forward to once you're on the bandwagon. No one cares enough about hating on the Mariners or Mets to do this.

I'm not sure "we're the most disliked of your three options" is as big a selling point as you think it is.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

He projects to be a GG caliber center fielder, but he's still green and there's concerns over his ability to captain the OF so quickly, which is why the Cubs signed Jay ostensibly to mentor him. Kid has crazy baseball instincts though, some of the jumps he gets are absurd.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The only things of significance the Dodgers' so-called super front office has contributed to the org is to sign Justin Turner and Kenta Maeda. Everything else they have, they owe to Colletti-ball and legendary scout Logan White, who is now with the Padres..

:colbert:

I mean, so long as we're hot-taking here...

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

this is what CarMart wore to the press conference announcing his extension:
https://twitter.com/2xBirds/status/827195853576232965

(sadly, he did not do the Big Shoes Dance.)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
There are very, very few people who have not looked like a complete dipshit while wearing a bowtie.

Carlos Martinez is not one of them.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm not sure "we're the most disliked of your three options" is as big a selling point as you think it is.
It's specifically Giants fan hate I'm trying to highlight here, not general hate. I honestly really enjoy the rivalry, including its SAS incarnation. The fact that both teams are good right now and the rivalry exists raises the emotional stakes of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Toronto Blue Jays
Oakland As
Seattle Mariners
Detroit Tigers

Those teams are enjoyable baseball teams imho

• Locked thread