Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Jimmy Fallon segment certainly sealed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

IMM: Jurassic Park 3, while by no means great, was a fun little movie with some cool scenes and wrap-up for the original cast and setting, but since it killed a rex there's been fifteen years of fanboy whining until World (and associated merchandising) had to fall all over itself to pretend that Tyrannosaurus is still the biggest and baddest and bestest and we'll smash a Spino skeleton out of pettiness too.

They even changed the movie's logo now to take the Spino out.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Feb 2, 2017

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Anyone who doesn't like the T-Rex loving sucks!!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Byzantine posted:

IMM: Jurassic Park 3, while by no means great, was a fun little movie with some cool scenes and wrap-up for the original cast and setting, but since it killed a rex there's been fifteen years of fanboy whining until World (and associated merchandising) had to fall all over itself to pretend that Tyrannosaurus is still the biggest and baddest and bestest and we'll smash a Spino skeleton out of pettiness too.

They even changed the movie's logo now to take the Spino out.

Dude it's not fanboys whining, it's paleontologists. Rex's really were that badass. Spinos were likely fish-eaters.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Dude it's not fanboys whining, it's paleontologists. Rex's really were that badass. Spinos were likely fish-eaters.

I'm not talking about the real-world discoveries (although the 2014 reconstruction has been disputed and now it looks like they had an entirely different species' bones mixed in), the fanboy whining both predates that and ignores it when convenient.

After all, it's not like anybody gives a drat that Velociraptor was actually two feet high, Pteranadon couldn't lift a human, Mosasaurus was nowhere near big enough to eat a great white shark whole, etc, etc, etc but for some reason Spinosaurus, and only Spinosaurus, needs to be accurate...

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Byzantine posted:

After all, it's not like anybody gives a drat that Velociraptor was actually two feet high, Pteranadon couldn't lift a human, Mosasaurus was nowhere near big enough to eat a great white shark whole, etc, etc, etc but for some reason Spinosaurus, and only Spinosaurus, needs to be accurate...
I know this is the IIMM thread so I feel dumb typing this out but I wanted to explain my perspective on the whole thing.

It's not that Spinosaurus needs to be accurate, far from it. It's that its portrayal in JP3 contradicts the mythology of dinosaurs that is basically imprinted in the popular consciousness -- something your examples are actually pointing out. Velociraptor was a completely unheard of and unknown dino until the first Jurassic park movie; as a kid I was a huge dinosaur fan but was much more interested in things like Deinonychus than any of his relatives but when Jurassic Park came out Velociraptor became the 'big claw hunting dino' in the minds of pretty much the entire world. Pteranodon absolutely couldn't lift a human in real life but it's the most famous flying dinosaur and in cultural imagination dinosaurs are huge and powerful so of course in dino myth the Pteranodon is a gigantic beast capable of lifting a grown man in each claw into the air with ease. Mososaurus gets the same treatment for water based dinos (though I'm surprised that they didn't go with a Plesiosaurus which would get the Loch Ness bump in pop consciousness -- probably too similar to the Brachiosaurs, though).

Spinos crime was being portrayed as bigger and tougher than the T-Rex which 'everyone knows' was the fiercest most dominant and dangerous predator dinosaur of all time; he's got 'king' right there in the name. He's the Hulk Hogan/John Cena of the Dinosaur world and Spinosaurus needs to know his role and shut his mouth in the minds of the casual dino fan.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The spinosaurus was poorly introduced and came across as a lazy attempt at escalation. No one gave a poo poo about it because it was a poorly written addition to a lame sequel. The least lame Jurassic Park sequel but that's hardly something to be proud of.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lost World is awesome. The impetus for going back to the island is preposterous and Malcolm only questions it for like 2 minutes. All the good guys are dumb as rocks and the bad guys are actually good like Roland. The good guys actually cause a lot of the havoc that happens. The look of the movie is dark and gritty as poo poo and when people die it's almost always played for laughs. Even with those faults the action and pacing are flawless and the CGI still looks really good and miles above Jurassic Park.

gently caress JP3 it has no redeeming value.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

gently caress JP3 it has no redeeming value.

It had William H Macy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm wracking my brain and can't remember JP3 except for that talking raptor sequence. Everything else is a total blank.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
All the dinosaurs do Hollywood neck-snaps. Even the Raptors on humans.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm wracking my brain and can't remember JP3 except for that talking raptor sequence. Everything else is a total blank.

Same. Was that the one where the T-Rex goes on a rampage in some city after the shipped it to the mainland, or was that JP2?

I do remember JP2 having that scene where they rescue a wounded dinosaur young and mommy comes to save it, which lead to this kickass scene with the heroes dangling on a rope inside the vehicle which was dangling from a cliff and fell down around them.

That's pretty much all that stuck with me though, but boy was it cool to a young me.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That scene was 2. I'm convinced I never saw 3 because I don't remember anything about it but I also feel like it's impossible that I never got around to seeing it.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

In JP1, the dinosaurs are animals. As the humans lose control, the island just becomes an ecosystem where humans aren't the top predator.

In JP2 the dinosaurs are monsters. Compsognathus are land piranhas. If the sick triceratops scene had happened in JP2, it would have chomped some extra's head off.
T-rex in the City was dumb. Maybe I'm it's an unfair stereotype of Americans, but if there was a real life monster walking about town eating people, wouldn't thousands of gun-totting rednecks in pickups be racing to be the one to bag it? Why did anyone want to save the monster that's eating people when you could clone a whole bunch more?

JW was just too dumb for me to stay invested in the characters and world
Oh no, our super dinosaur is missing, let's just walk right into the last place we knew it was oh poo poo it is still there and has a cloaking device! Let's team up with the velociraptors and T-rex to fight the mutant superdino and learn the true meaning of friendship

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of strange how Jurassic World is the fourth-highest grossing movie of all time now, and it was third after Avatar and Titanic until Star Wars came out. Come to think of it, it's sort of weird how Avatar is the biggest movie ever (not adjusted for inflation, of course) because in retrospect I don't think it really had a lasting impact, even compared with Titanic.

Anyway, the next Jurassic Park movie should be a prequel where Edward Drinker Cope and Othniel Charles Marsh have to set aside their differences and team-up to fight a pack of dinosaurs that somehow survived until the 1880s. It would be called Jurassic Park: Bone Wars.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

It was gorgeous.

But poo poo.

Though I'm probably biased owing to my hatred of the "savages saved by the pity of the White Man who also happens to be trying to get his leg over" genre.

Doubly so when his big plan was, "Okay now, everyone run towards the machine guns! They'll run out of bullets eventually and we can walk to victory over the corpses of 99% of our people".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Doubly so when his big plan was, "Okay now, everyone run towards the machine guns! They'll run out of bullets eventually and we can walk to victory over the corpses of 99% of our people".

Turns out the Navi are assholes and the real plan was to eliminate all the rival tribes.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Blue team: Buncha moralising hippies who sleep in a tree in a hippy love in and use their hair penises to sex up dragons and ponies.

Red team: He has a gigantic robot and the gigantic robot has a gigantic robot knife come the gently caress on that rules.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jurassic Park is the only movie in the franchise that's actually good but I will watch any of them at any time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Clearly he learned from the best.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Come to think of it, it's sort of weird how Avatar is the biggest movie ever (not adjusted for inflation, of course) because in retrospect I don't think it really had a lasting impact, even compared with Titanic.

That's OK. Even if it didn't make a huge impact, one of the four planned sequels will.

grumble grumble getting this poo poo instead of Battle Angel Alita grumble grumble.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Neito posted:

That's OK. Even if it didn't make a huge impact, one of the four planned sequels will.

What.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's sort of strange how Jurassic World is the fourth-highest grossing movie of all time now, and it was third after Avatar and Titanic until Star Wars came out.

Kinda a meta IIMM, but it annoys me why some people think it's strange that everyone and their mother liked it. It's not rocket science, since JP2 and 3 were such crap that even being not as good as JP1 meant a ton of people dug it.

Hell, I got this avatar, initially, for citing an ad I saw at the theater about a review-the-movie app that was starting up around the time JW came out. They had a few examples, with the goony-looking guy as the Obligatory Outlier rating JW 2-star after every other person (the teen, the young couple on a date, the family group, the old couple) all gave it a 5-star.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

JW is boring

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The only thing I really remember about JW is how they seemingly went out of their way to give that one personal assistant an extremely drawn out and gruesome death scene for pretty much no reason.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Perestroika posted:

The only thing I really remember about JW is how they seemingly went out of their way to give that one personal assistant an extremely drawn out and gruesome death scene for pretty much no reason.

She's unlikable, therefore we enjoy watching her die.

It's the same logic behind slasher movie victims.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

She's unlikable, therefore we enjoy watching her die.

It's the same logic behind slasher movie victims.

It's quite the opposite, in fact. She's likable, but she gets an ending equal to that of slasher movies.

The throughline of the JP franchise is that nature doesn't give a poo poo about the systems of humanity. The giant water-monster and pterodatcyl don't give a poo poo if the assistant was a Good Person or not. She's food, and they're going to kill and eat her.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Perestroika posted:

She was the toilet lawyer of that film in the series.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

It's quite the opposite, in fact. She's likable, but she gets an ending equal to that of slasher movies.

I'm not going to get into a major argument with you over this, but you are wrong.

She clearly doesn't care about her job, she doesn't care about the kids, she's more concerned with staring at her phone. She is unlikable. If she were meant to be sympathetic, she'd have been an awesome guide who was connecting with the kids.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

bitterandtwisted posted:

T-rex in the City was dumb. Maybe I'm it's an unfair stereotype of Americans, but if there was a real life monster walking about town eating people, wouldn't thousands of gun-totting rednecks in pickups be racing to be the one to bag it? Why did anyone want to save the monster that's eating people when you could clone a whole bunch more?

The T-Rex thing took place over a single night and there probably wasn't even any solid news until it was already over. Also, you would need some serious firepower to even make a dent in an animal that large, which most hunters/gun nuts aren't going to have.

In 5 years with thousands of embryos they only managed to get 3 viable tyrannosaurs, not that our heroes were thinking about that. They just wanted to save the aminals.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

WampaLord posted:

I'm not going to get into a major argument with you over this, but you are wrong.

She clearly doesn't care about her job, she doesn't care about the kids, she's more concerned with staring at her phone. She is unlikable. If she were meant to be sympathetic, she'd have been an awesome guide who was connecting with the kids.

She's the personal assistant to the second most important person on the island (next to the ceo) who was relegated to baby sitting duty, which she did without complaint. Not being happy that you're doing a job for 15 year olds instead of your actual interesting work doesn't make someone a bad person worthy of a drawn out horrible death.

Jurassic World was a bad movie.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sinburger posted:

She's the personal assistant to the second most important person on the island (next to the ceo) who was relegated to baby sitting duty, which she did without complaint.

I must have missed the version of the movie you saw, because she certainly did not do her job as the kids manage to get away from her.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

sinburger posted:

Not being happy that you're doing a job for 15 year olds instead of your actual interesting work doesn't make someone a bad person worthy of a drawn out horrible death.

Exactly. Nature doesn't give a poo poo about the 'worthiness' of how you die. To a giant fish dinosaur, you're not a good or bad person worthy of a type of death or not, you're a prey item.

If you have an issue with the death, you're as suckered into the glitz and the glamor of the park as much as people who visit it. The 'worthiness' of her death is as artificial as the ability to keep the park under control.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Feb 2, 2017

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

The T-Rex thing took place over a single night and there probably wasn't even any solid news until it was already over. Also, you would need some serious firepower to even make a dent in an animal that large, which most hunters/gun nuts aren't going to have.

In 5 years with thousands of embryos they only managed to get 3 viable tyrannosaurs, not that our heroes were thinking about that. They just wanted to save the aminals.

Did they have a personal bond with the man eating monster in the post-extinction universe they live in?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda a meta IIMM, but it annoys me why some people think it's strange that everyone and their mother liked it. It's not rocket science, since JP2 and 3 were such crap that even being not as good as JP1 meant a ton of people dug it.

JW was way, way worse than JP3 and even JP2, a movie that had a teenager gymnast-kicking a velociraptor before a T-Rex got loose in America.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

food court bailiff posted:

JW was way, way worse than JP3 and even JP2, a movie that had a teenager gymnast-kicking a velociraptor before a T-Rex got loose in America.

After locking itself in a cargo hold, no less.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

MisterBibs posted:

Exactly. Nature doesn't give a poo poo about the 'worthiness' of how you die. To a giant fish dinosaur, you're not a good or bad person worthy of a type of death or not, you're a prey item.

If you have an issue with the death, you're as suckered into the glitz and the glamor of the park as much as people who visit it. The 'worthiness' of her death is as artificial as the ability to keep the park under control.

You are aware that JW is a fictional movie and not a documentary yea? Multiple people had to make a conscious decision to plan and shoot a horrific death scene for a character who didn't do anything remotely worthy of deserving it.

"oh no, she has a British accent and doesn't like babysitting. Let's ultra murder her. "

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

I'm not talking about the real-world discoveries (although the 2014 reconstruction has been disputed and now it looks like they had an entirely different species' bones mixed in), the fanboy whining both predates that and ignores it when convenient.

The Velociraptor mistake is because of the books which started it because Crichton used a reference book that had Deinonychus incorrectly referenced as a subspecies of Velociraptor. Also none of the living adult raptors are ever actually referred to as "Velociraptor" in the movie dialog, just "raptor" which is technically correct because its a colloquial name for the Dromaeosauridae family which includes Deinonychus and Utahraptor, both big enough, which you would know if you were ACTUALLY a fan of the movie.

Pteranadon is actually a genus of Pterosaur (NOT a Dinosaur) which includes the Pteranodon longiceps which had a wingspan of up to 23ft and could probably carry a human. Not lift, but thats not what you meant, because if you did you'd have pointed out the incorrectness in the flight method. Also, Pterodactyl is the Pterosaur in the movie, which is NOT a Pteranadon.

Mosasaurus reached sizes approaching 17 meters. Adult male great whites are around 3.5m, and could actually be eaten in one bite by a Mosasaurus. Yes the Mosasaurus in JW was about twice too long, but thats not what you said and so you're still WRONG.

Also you forgot about the TRex only seeing motion which was disproven even at the time of the movie, or the Dilophosaurus being bigger than in the movie and not actually having the crest or spitting venom, or the fact that Brachiosaur wouldn't have been able to sneeze, which are all ACTUALLY mistakes. IDIOT

Spinosaurus sucks

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

WampaLord posted:

I must have missed the version of the movie you saw, because she certainly did not do her job as the kids manage to get away from her.

Clearly her losing two teenagers actively trying to get away from her in a massive crowded park is her fault, and not the kids who decided to run away.

The kids should have had the long drawn out death scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
i still say that JW would have been a mile better if the Supersaurus would have been able to talk.