Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

had to check whether it was satire or not.. lmao america what hath thou wrought
deserved 911 tbh

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

apple really should just embrace the "an x, except not dogshit", it has pretty consistently been the things they do well

i really wanted the apple car to just be a licensed honda which they filled with sane creature comforts like a media system that works, knobs and controls that don't offend the senses, and applecare of some form which makes it not a sudden economical disaster when something goes wrong down the line. while making it look nice and marking up the price by $10k of course

idk my 2010 manual civic EX (with internal USB port that does the ipod protocol) is pretty great in terms of tactile control for everything and connecting a iphone to it, i can plug mine in and play music that i have stored on it, and if i have google maps open, the navigation instructions ("turn left here") play over car speakers (usually if i need this my phone is in a gps-like windshield-mounted bracket connected to car with a long lightning cable) , and if i dont need that for a famililar road trip or if i dont mind no vocal navigation insturctions or over phone speakers, wife can plug her phone in and it'll play whatever pandora or spotify she chooses over car speakers

sure it isnt bluetooth but i have no problem with plugging in a device in a car especially given that it will (slowly) charge the phone instead of draining it

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i've been down on apple lately for their middling updates and bugs but today i tried setting up a windows 10 PC for my daughter's first computer and it is so bad

the highlight for me was setting up a "child" account with parental controls. i thought it'd be nice since kids under 13 have better privacy protection, so even tho win10 is all about phoning home and sharing ad metrics, she'd be spared that garbage. nope, turns out the adult has to give permission to microsoft to track their child, and then microsoft requires you enter a valid credit card, which they proceed to charge $0.50 to in order to verify that you, the computer admin, are an adult, and thus legally capable of waiving the privacy rights of your kid. i know this is petty and spergy and the easy way is just lie and tell them the kid is >13 years old but gently caress it, i gave them an amex and i'll do a chargeback in a few days :angel:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Tim Cook is my findom Master

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i've been down on apple lately for their middling updates and bugs but today i tried setting up a windows 10 PC for my daughter's first computer and it is so bad

the highlight for me was setting up a "child" account with parental controls. i thought it'd be nice since kids under 13 have better privacy protection, so even tho win10 is all about phoning home and sharing ad metrics, she'd be spared that garbage. nope, turns out the adult has to give permission to microsoft to track their child, and then microsoft requires you enter a valid credit card, which they proceed to charge $0.50 to in order to verify that you, the computer admin, are an adult, and thus legally capable of waiving the privacy rights of your kid. i know this is petty and spergy and the easy way is just lie and tell them the kid is >13 years old but gently caress it, i gave them an amex and i'll do a chargeback in a few days :angel:

We're sorry, your Windows 10 installation has been locked due to a Microsoft account payment issue. Please drink a Mountain Dew Verification Can and say "McDonalds" in front of your Windows Hello camera to continue.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Please drink a Mountain Dew Verification Can and say "McDonalds"

tfw Microsoft Edge knows ur a goon

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

why did you give microsoft permission to track your child

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qntm posted:

why did you pay microsoft to track your child

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
I guess it's to much to expect the Apple Watch and iPhone to be in sync with what I am listening to on my AirPods.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
is it possible you have a second iphone streaming to the apple watch? i find i have so many apple products i frequently misplace them

check your colon first

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

doesn't the watch sync over bluetooth? its disabled on that phone

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i'm the soundtrack to a children's movie

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

doesn't the watch sync over bluetooth? its disabled on that phone

actually it's not disabled. I can control the volume on my AirPods with the Apple Watch but can't skip to the next song only pause and play.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Please drink a Mountain Dew Verification Can and say "McDonalds"

Microsoft is good now!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the "/" key on my new macbook has already broken and a few other keys are kinda getting lovely already. gonna take it in for repair will udpate the thread to let you know if i've been typing it wrong

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the "/" key on my new macbook has already broken and a few other keys are kinda getting lovely already. gonna take it in for repair will udpate the thread to let you know if i've been typing it wrong

Stop loving your computer and cumming in it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Citizen Tayne posted:

well this generation of macbooks sucks so i was just trying to hurry it along a little

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

neonbregna posted:

I guess it's to much to expect the Apple Watch and iPhone to be in sync with what I am listening to on my AirPods.

please fix your id3 tags

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Citizen Tayne posted:

well what else are you supposed to do with them?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

for fucks sake

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

qntm posted:

why did you give microsoft permission to track your child

just to be clear: there is no option not to let microsoft track your child. as far as i can tell you can't set up a young child with a win10 account without ceding their privacy rights and paying 50 cents for the privilege

(once the account is set up you can disable as many of the tracking options as possible, same as for adult accounts)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

er, is the $0.50 charge an actual charge, or is it just one of those things where they attempt a charge to make sure the card works, but don't have it go through?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

er, is the $0.50 charge an actual charge, or is it just one of those things where they attempt a charge to make sure the card works, but don't have it go through?

It's not refunded.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

eric posted:

It's not refunded.

they put a hold charge on the card but never process it so eventually it will expire and not be billed. but until then you will be $.50 less on your available credit line

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

but until then you will be $.50 less on your available credit line

now i can't pay rent

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah, hold. that's the term i was looking for.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

they put a hold charge on the card but never process it so eventually it will expire and not be billed. but until then you will be $.50 less on your available credit line

From Microsoft's site

quote:

Microsoft and Family Safety comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) regarding online account creation for children under the age of 13. To verify that an adult is giving a child permission to create a new Microsoft account, COPPA requires that a small amount be charged to the adult's credit card. We charge 50 cents for this verification. These charges aren't refundable.

Am I charged for each child I sign up?

Yes. A fee is required by COPPA.

Do other companies charge this fee?

Yes. A fee is required by COPPA.

How does Microsoft use this money?

The fee is donated to The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. For more info about this organization, visit their website.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hahahahaha all bets are off when the feds are involved then

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
why would a child have a use for a microsoft computer? the only possible reason I can imagine is if you want them to handle your accounting and stuff for your small business and that violates child labour laws

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what if Microsoft didn't violate the privacy of minors?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

what if Microsoft didn't violate minors?

and what if cats could talk, youtube commenters couldn't, and you could get taco bell delivered in an inconspicuous package

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

charging that massive $0.50 is proof that you love exploiting children

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

not giving you the option to disable spying on your kids is proof that you love exploiting children

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the Apple TV was a really good way to permanently replace my somewhat old Samsung HDTVs operating system with something that is actually updated and will not get infected with ransom ware if I ever connect it to the wifi again without actually buying a new TV

airplay is also nice

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
just bought a refurb time capsule and apparently if you choose to manage the internal NAS with accounts you cannot use the drive as a reliable backup because first of all it won't backup to your account dir and it won't restore if your sparsebundle isn't in the top directory for the capsule lol

oh and additionally you can't have an encrypted backup unless you gently caress around with creating an encrypted disk image on the TC

still trying to figure out how file permissions work

but it does work as a router p good and I can access it over the web with my Apple account from my Mac, and the encrypted backup does work now that I've set it up, so that's nice

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

qntm posted:

why did you pay microsoft to track your child

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

neonbregna posted:

everything in this photo is funny

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol that you can be charged as an adult for a crime but not be legally allowed to have an email address in this country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

why would a child have a use for a microsoft computer? the only possible reason I can imagine is if you want them to handle your accounting and stuff for your small business and that violates child labour laws

it's one of those tough love things, i can't let her grow up thinking that things Just Work

one day when she's finally comfortable with windows she'll wake up and find it's all been changed to some weird new setup that doesn't recognize half the hardware and all her games are missing, replaced with some ugly penguin sled race garbage. then the true trial begins :twisted:

• Locked thread