Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

What the hell are you guys doing that makes organ harvesting a thing? Is there some late-game hurdle I'm missing?

You can operate on people to remove organs. It's just a thing you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MisterBibs posted:

What the hell are you guys doing that makes organ harvesting a thing? Is there some late-game hurdle I'm missing?

you can do it from the word go with nothing but a pack of medicine, a doctor, and a sleeping space/grave from the donor, and the usual reason for doing it is that organs sell for quite a lot and are pretty valuable for fixing some inherent problems in your own colonists. for example, older colonists will frequently show up with an artery blockage, which WILL eventually cause a heart attack due to the weakened blood pumping. harvesting a heart from some poor sucker and popping it into your colonist will fix them straight up.

similarly, lung transplants cure asthma.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pretty much all my dudes are in ok health. Sometimes they get a hand or nose or finger lost, but I've yet to run into a situation where they need an internal organ. It's all just scars and missing digits.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

It's all a nice 20ish and indoors.

A hosed up thing happened though. I dug into a tiny tiny pocket of not-mountain-above. It's like 10 square open to the air and some "thin rock roof" around it. Now every pirate raid lands in this tiny area which is in the middle of my base and the "thin rock roof" straddled the corners of a few rooms.

I had to fill the entire area with solid granite , seems to be keeping them away. All my "person is running away from pirates, help them??" events were also landing via drop pod too.
Sounds to me like you need to find out how many turrets you can fit in a ring around that area. For science, ya know?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Dejawesp posted:

Also do painstoppers not have any downsides like the joywire?

Most of the time when pawns are downed in combat, it's due to shock from pain. This doesn't happen when they have a painstopper, which means they'll keep fighting even when severely injured, dramatically increasing the risk of dismemberment and death.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

You can operate on people to remove organs. It's just a thing you can do.

Nah, I get you can, I'm just kinda agape at why you'd do it. It's mentioned so frequently that I'm half assuming there's a point where organ failure becomes an epidemic thing, or there's a fundamental failure to reload when lovely colonists come by at play.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, I get you can, I'm just kinda agape at why you'd do it. It's mentioned so frequently that I'm half assuming there's a point where organ failure becomes an epidemic thing, or there's a fundamental failure to reload when lovely colonists come by at play.

You can sell them for big money too.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

MisterBibs posted:

So you are just letting all those valuable organs go to waste? Hell, I give all pirates that I capture two peg legs just because it is funny watching them hobble around in future raids against me. (And it is excellent practice to get doctoring raised!)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What is this new guilt mechanic? Is it like a window to execute them? For people who will never agree to be recruited I never quite know what to do with them. I really wish we could set up a basic justice system and like give pirates prison terms or throw idiots who get into "social fights" into the naughty corner to chill out.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Zhentar posted:

Most of the time when pawns are downed in combat, it's due to shock from pain. This doesn't happen when they have a painstopper, which means they'll keep fighting even when severely injured, dramatically increasing the risk of dismemberment and death.

The trade off is more PEW PEW time...

But you might trade off horrible injuries. :)

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Well gently caress. I just conducted my first successful slave raid.

Killed everyone who struggled. Took 4 prisoners. Converted a local hut into a triage station. One prisoner died but the other three were stabilized. (Of note. The doctor would not use medkits she had in her pocket. Nor would she use them if they were on the ground. Not even when I made the ground a stockpile and the room "home")

Keep in mind that you have 24 hours from when the last enemy is incapacitated to get out which is hell of a short time.

Had the engineers prepare and fuel a launch station so we could all get back home.

Loaded in the prisoners.

When the last pawn entered the drop pod the game registered that this map had no pawns in it. Instantly killing all the pawns in the pods and returning me to the world map. Back in my base, pets who belonged to pawns on the drop pods went berserk due to their bonded person having died.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I imagine the whole overworld mechanic will get fleshed out and improved soon.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Okay it worked out. I had all the pawns except 1 get in the pods and fly them home. That one pawn was then loaded up with the remaining smokeleaf, beer and as much food as he could carry. So that he could walk home. No hurry. He'll be fine.

Pods landing back home with all the prisoners and the loot.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So what's the best way to remove a small mountain that's in the way of my expansion? I've mined most of the thing out, but when I try to take out the last few pillars rocks fall any my minor dies. Any options?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Alchenar posted:

So what's the best way to remove a small mountain that's in the way of my expansion? I've mined most of the thing out, but when I try to take out the last few pillars rocks fall any my minor dies. Any options?

Make pillars to hold up the mountain and learn to live with them. 1 every 6-7 blocks should do it.

Meanwhile this guy named Raccoon has a rival named Raccoon.

Okay so that village belonged to one of the three factions who own this entire planet. That kind of sucks. With so many towns and villages you would think a hundred or so factions would be a good start. Having three trade partners was good.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 2, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dejawesp posted:

Okay so that village belonged to one of the three factions who own this entire planet. That kind of sucks. With so many towns and villages you would think a hundred or so factions would be a good start. Having three trade partners was good.

Eh, two trade partners and one source of organs is still pretty good.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Mister Adequate posted:

Eh, two trade partners and one source of organs is still pretty good.

Yeah you're right. You have to see the silver lining. These villages aren't putting up much of a fight.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Stockpiles are beginning to irritate me. I wish there'd be a search feature on them so I don't have to click through every sub-branch to find under what generic term a product is listed under. Or a trait, so I could say "stuff that will decompose if its outside" or its alternate.

Like, where the gently caress is Components under?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's a stockpile search mod which is on my required to play list

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Stockpiles are beginning to irritate me. I wish there'd be a search feature on them so I don't have to click through every sub-branch to find under what generic term a product is listed under. Or a trait, so I could say "stuff that will decompose if its outside" or its alternate.

Like, where the gently caress is Components under?

Manufactured

It could use some reorganizing for sure IMO.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

There's a stockpile search mod which is on my required to play list

Thanks to you both, I need to pick that up.

Another dumb question: it's a heat wave and I made the mistake of inviting someone with an already depressive mood into my colony. Is there any way to just tell her to stand in the freezer area for a while to cool down?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Cool, Vindar (the author of the Medieval Times mod) has decided to integrate my coal stuff with his next Medieval Times release :)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

MisterBibs posted:

Thanks to you both, I need to pick that up.

Another dumb question: it's a heat wave and I made the mistake of inviting someone with an already depressive mood into my colony. Is there any way to just tell her to stand in the freezer area for a while to cool down?

Make a zone in the freezer and assign her to it! The opposite of this is how I figured out to keep these 2 millions cats and huskies out of my food storage and chicken coup!

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Make a zone in the freezer and assign her to it! The opposite of this is how I figured out to keep these 2 millions cats and huskies out of my food storage and chicken coup!

Or just draft her and station her in there, either way, make sure you remember to let her out before she gets frostbite.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I downloaded a stacking mod that increases the size of all stacks in the game. I no longer need stadium sized freezers to store food for a half dozen people.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Christ, I love this game, so why does it hurt me so much?

Someone wants to join my colony, cuz she's being chased by a mean guy. I accept, check her stats and skills, and decide to go with it. Come on in, lady! Just a quick beeline northward! The big wooden building! Can't miss it! You run to us, the dude with a club will he positively riddled with bullets!

Wait, why are you running southward? Into the mountains? With all the rock chunks slowing you down, likely tripping over things like a Friday The 13th victim? You're going to... yup, you're dead. Why.

Unrelated, how badly do wind turbines do when the weather is Clear? The wiki isn't very clear on their viability, and seems like you'd need to build tons of them (and batteries) to keep things going.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 2, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So I just had a guy visit my colony (hospitality mod). Like most visitors he had a few items for trade, so as he was milling around the billiards table I traded him four or five yayo for a couple of his components. Immediately he whips them out and snorts every last one, grabbing himself a crippling psychite addiction and passing out from a drug overdose there on the spot. The chief of his tribe instantly hears about this through the vast psychic awareness afforded to all tribal chiefs, and is angered with me (-5 faction good will). I send a colonist to "rescue" the passed-out guy, and she takes him to hospital, where he lies down for a couple minutes before waking up again. He's so grateful for his rescue that he asks to join the colony. He hasn't made much of an impression on my so far so I say no. I release him back into his natural habitat, and he wanders slowly off the map, still tripping egregious quantities of balls.

The tribal chief is pleased that he left the map healthy (+15 faction good will).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

So I just had a guy visit my colony (hospitality mod). Like most visitors he had a few items for trade, so as he was milling around the billiards table I traded him four or five yayo for a couple of his components. Immediately he whips them out and snorts every last one, grabbing himself a crippling psychite addiction and passing out from a drug overdose there on the spot. The chief of his tribe instantly hears about this through the vast psychic awareness afforded to all tribal chiefs, and is angered with me (-5 faction good will). I send a colonist to "rescue" the passed-out guy, and she takes him to hospital, where he lies down for a couple minutes before waking up again. He's so grateful for his rescue that he asks to join the colony. He hasn't made much of an impression on my so far so I say no. I release him back into his natural habitat, and he wanders slowly off the map, still tripping egregious quantities of balls.

The tribal chief is pleased that he left the map healthy (+15 faction good will).

So what you're saying is install that mod

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MisterBibs posted:

Christ, I love this game, so why does it hurt me so much?

Someone wants to join my colony, cuz she's being chased by a mean guy. I accept, check her stats and skills, and decide to go with it. Come on in, lady! Just a quick beeline northward! The big wooden building! Can't miss it! You run to us, the dude with a club will he positively riddled with bullets!

I always always draft the chasee immediately and force them into a nice interior cover position just to avoid them arriving and deciding that that peg leg someone dropped on the planet desperately needs hauling right this second

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Millennial Sexlord posted:

So what you're saying is install that mod

hospitality mod is pretty good. Early on one of my character's mom came over because she was worried the colony was struggling. Then his dad came too. Dudes parents moved in. He hates them and they are the only rivals in the colony.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MisterBibs posted:

Unrelated, how badly do wind turbines do when the weather is Clear? The wiki isn't very clear on their viability, and seems like you'd need to build tons of them (and batteries) to keep things going.
I've seemed to hit a balance with 2 wind turbines per solar panel per battery but that's very circumstantial and I haven't done any analysis on power draws vs supply to even say why it might or might not be balanced. Temperate forest year round growing planes if that makes any difference to average sun and wind.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Baronjutter posted:

It's all a nice 20ish and indoors.

A hosed up thing happened though. I dug into a tiny tiny pocket of not-mountain-above. It's like 10 square open to the air and some "thin rock roof" around it. Now every pirate raid lands in this tiny area which is in the middle of my base and the "thin rock roof" straddled the corners of a few rooms.

I had to fill the entire area with solid granite , seems to be keeping them away. All my "person is running away from pirates, help them??" events were also landing via drop pod too.

Hospitality adds the possibility for refugees to land via drop pod.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Pigs eat hay, don't they? 80% of my google searches are asking the same question, 20% say that do, and I'm 100% sitting here with three random pigs that have really low health meters.

I wish this game was clearer with things. Don't tell me what animals eat in generic terms, tell me what they eat in terms of salient products I can make.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
pigs happily eat hay. i was feeding pigs for some farmed meat until i found some chickens. wild boars will also eat hay.

you can check the rimworld wiki for the diet of various animals. only carnivores will refuse to eat plant matter (grass and hay), but compensate for it by being hungry less often. i've found that dogs will happily eat chicken eggs, which is making me consider picking them up again if i can figure out a good way to make sure they primarily eat eggs

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Anyone train/breed boomalopes or boomrats for defence? How's that work out?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I currently breed timber wolves but I'm having mixed feelings.

The game refuses inbreeding so breeding is not as easy as just having at least one female and one male because a few generations down the line you're going to have 40 wolves but only the original parents can mate.

If you on the other hand have 2 males and 2 females then they will have two separate families who will breed interchangeably. However you have to be super careful when selling wolves because if one family gets a lot of males and a few females die from fighting or disease, you could stand there with 15 males and 15 females and your wolf population will gradually die out completely because the game considers all the wrong ones related.

Lets talk about drugs. I added smokeleaf and beer to the population a day ago and set them to use social drugs. People have been happier and breaking down less but people have also been getting really sick. Lung and liver cancer is rampant.

1 in 4 has asthma (chronic and reduces movement speed)
1 in 3 has Cirrhosis (chronic, reduces work speed and the speed at which they develop immunity)

That combined with the staggering amount of effort that they have to spend on growing the related plants and producing the drugs probably make them a net negative to the colony.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dejawesp posted:

Lets talk about drugs. I added smokeleaf and beer to the population a day ago and set them to use social drugs. People have been happier and breaking down less but people have also been getting really sick. Lung and liver cancer is rampant.

1 in 4 has asthma (chronic and reduces movement speed)
1 in 3 has Cirrhosis (chronic, reduces work speed and the speed at which they develop immunity)

That combined with the staggering amount of effort that they have to spend on growing the related plants and producing the drugs probably make them a net negative to the colony.

Drugs are bad, who knew? Nobody tell TCC.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Nice piece of fish posted:

Drugs are bad, who knew? Nobody tell TCC.

It's a conspiracy by the lumber industry because they know that hemp can replace wood as a superior raw material for making paper. (Yes this is a real conspiracy theory)

On another note there are a few mods I would want to find.

A mod that makes a deep drill that mines a wider area. I'm tired of micromanaging these little fuckers. One drill per area is fine for me. The cost, yield and power usage can be balanced accordingly

A mod that makes hunters cooperate somehow. When I select half the map and click "hunt" I'd want them to work as a team. Not have one guy take on a grizzly bear solo on the other side of the map.

A mod that lets you set a cap on how many plants to harvest. Like harvest until there's 1000 potatoes in storage and then don't harvest more or 1000 smokeleaf. So I don't end up with 15,000 potatoes.

Something to reverse the order of beer brewing. Right now brewing goes like this:

Collect raw material > Process raw material (player sets the Wort cap) > Put processed material in barrel to make beer.

I can control the cap on how much Wort is made but I have no control over how much Wort is turned into beer. I'd rather they just harvest the hops and then put it straight into the barrel. Then after fermenting they bring the result to the bench for bottling. Then let me set the cap on how much final beer is made.

Edit: Oh yes. When I tell colonists to build something. I'd want them to use uninstalled items from the stockpile before building new ones.

If I want to move 10 beds then I'd like to be able to select all 10 and uninstall them. Then tell colonists to build 10 at the new spot and have them get the uninstalled beds automatically.

And a loving log so I can see what happened. It doesn't have to be elaborate but if a colonist is crushed by falling roof they get deleted from the game without a peep. You get a quick notice at the top (that obscures colonists too) and then that vanishes. You get a yellow note on the right that a roof did collapse but the only way you would know if someone died is from them missing.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 2, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

you can check the rimworld wiki for the diet of various animals.

Frankly, the wiki rarely feels specific and concrete enough for me. I get the detail for my answers more from either asking here, or punch "rimworld (question I have)" to find the answer with greater accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I just noticed something about surgery.

When I tried to harvest a left kidney, the surgery failed and the kidney got infected. The order then changed to "remove left kidney" which means you take it out and throw it in the garbage. So if you still want to harvest them, you have to remove that work order and then add "harvest right kidney"

I do not give this game enough credit.

I just noticed that the game has art engravings on weapons.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 2, 2017