Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

Danaru posted:

My CPU is below minimum spec, but I still managed to play the game aside from some fierce lag if I went too fast and loaded too many chunks. Now that I have the Seamoth, the game just crashes outright :( Might be time to call it until I can afford an upgrade.

There is supposed to be a bug where making a seamoth can lag the game really badly. Some people suggested that if you delete it and then add in a new one with the console, it will fix the problem. I haven't tried it yet though, haven't had that issue yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I've had a weird bug where the drones from the vehicle bay don't stop creating the vehicle once it's done, and they'll follow it around until you quit and reload.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

meatsaw posted:

If it's the piece I think, it's sitting flat on top a nearby large black girder. The texture is a 2D fin, so I always miss that piece and have to go back for it (it kind of blends into the texture). Of course, not to say it might not be missing entirely in your game - I've seem some strange behavior in it recently.

Yeah, there it was. Man, if you hadn't told me about this I never would have found it. So, thanks!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Paracelsus posted:

I've had a weird bug where the drones from the vehicle bay don't stop creating the vehicle once it's done, and they'll follow it around until you quit and reload.

They are just trying to protect your investment.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, they added a ton of scanables for the vehicle upgrade pod and the propulsion cannon around Pod 4 and the Auroroa, didn't they?

And of course on the way back I get surprise-attacked by a sandshark hanging out near my base and lose all the loving power cells and batteries I found. Which sucks, but sucks harder because I haven't found the charging stations yet. :argh:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's kinda dumb that i can get the schematics for the upgrade station and the Cyclops before i can get the moonpool. The current messages / sensor beacons that lead you around need some work.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, discovered a strange and unsettling new bug. Lifepod 5 started drifting away from its location. This was a big problem for me since I hadn't build a fabricator into my base yet and this might have been indicative of other bugs to come. Weird.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
That's been around since the game launched and supposedly been fixed countless times. You used to be able to easily keep it in place by building pipes around it as a sort of net but now that you need surface pumping things I'm not sure if its still practical.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I thought it was supposed to drift away until you fixed that broken panel with the repair tool.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

My first several games I didn't even think about that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tombot posted:

I thought it was supposed to drift away until you fixed that broken panel with the repair tool.

There was a known bug where repairing the panel and activating the gravity anchor, didn't actually prevent it from drifting off into the distance for people. Either way, it's kind of been A Thing.

So while I think they fixed it by now, it's basically a coinflip of whether it's "oops, I never fixed my pod!" or "I fixed my pod, what gives?" until Speedball mentions either way :v:

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I've seen it drift in half the games I've played, but oddly enough it seems to drift back after a few hours. This has happened every time that it moved, it always moves back eventually in my games.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Section Z posted:

There was a known bug where repairing the panel and activating the gravity anchor, didn't actually prevent it from drifting off into the distance for people. Either way, it's kind of been A Thing.

So while I think they fixed it by now, it's basically a coinflip of whether it's "oops, I never fixed my pod!" or "I fixed my pod, what gives?" until Speedball mentions either way :v:

Hey, fixing my pod is always one of my first priorities and in this save file it's been fixed for a long-rear end while. Which is why I was able to build a base beneath it.

It seemed to stop drifting once I got back into visual range, at least.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Hey, fixing my pod is always one of my first priorities and in this save file it's been fixed for a long-rear end while. Which is why I was able to build a base beneath it.

It seemed to stop drifting once I got back into visual range, at least.

I had a feeling you were fixing it, but sometimes I like to take desperate stabs at being optimistic that maybe this time it's not actually the game loving up.

Then I get something reminding me of my concerns about how well additional vulnerabilities to the Cyclops will be implemented (Not that I think they should be in the first place :downs:)., when "At least my house stops floating away if I look directly at it" is a response that can happen.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, you dump enough resources into the Cyclops it ought to be invulnerable. Its weakness of being not-very-agile and sucking up a lot of power should be balance enough.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Agreed. That's a whole lotta time and effort to get oneshotted by a reaper

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I think the whole point of the Cyclops is to just be a mobile base you return to restock and offload resources.

Using it to be impervious to the outside world reduces the point of the game being about survival in a hostile world.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Man, you dump enough resources into the Cyclops it ought to be invulnerable. Its weakness of being not-very-agile and sucking up a lot of power should be balance enough.

Hexenritter posted:

Agreed. That's a whole lotta time and effort to get oneshotted by a reaper

Yeah. Something like a loss of seamoth or Prawn suit is painful, but not in a "Well, there goes literally 3/4 of my game save's time spent" way just as likely to be taken out by BS as :airquote: "legitimate threats" way that making your Cyclops open season would cause.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think the whole point of the Cyclops is to just be a mobile base you return to restock and offload resources.

Using it to be impervious to the outside world reduces the point of the game being about survival in a hostile world.
This mindset is why I'm wondering about the when, not if, for them continuing the trend of pacthing out the survivability of our survival tools.

"It has been decided that using your upgraded survival tools to survive, is letting people survive. To remedy this we are implementing a popular suggestion. The Stasis gun now only works on stalkers, biters, and bleeders."

Hotfix: Stasis gun only allowed to effect one biter or bleeder at a time.

The Cyclops can do gently caress all but transport you and your stash around anyways. You still need to get out of it to do anything, so "Hold on, I need to park this by the lifepod and swim to the Auora or I'm not taking enough precautions on my investment" logic is just wasteful.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 2, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
You're not wrong, the Warpers are already immune to the Stasis gun.

It's hard to balance a non-shooter with such a limited inventory and so few devs.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

"player survival times exceeded halflife of francium-223. Survival tools and equipment debuffed accordingly."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
At the very least they shouldn't make the cyclops take damage from wall collisions, because there are a bunch of places, like trying to exit the deep grand reef, that you sorta have to brute force your way through.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Still, for all the bugs I'm still glad I picked this over ARK: Survival Evolved. I haven't heard too much good about that one at all.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I haven't been able to get into Ark, and apparently most of the dinos require multi-hour taming efforts yawning into double digits

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
If I had my way the Cyclops would have some defensive/utility modules to make a zone around temporarily safe for whatever you're doing outside it. Big stasis generator, ultrasonic creature repeller, wildlife mulching unit, that kind of thing.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

all good ideas.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Now I'm fantasizing about a Kerbal Space Program style Cyclops, with the modules pasted on the outside so you have to EVA to operate them, and a big hangar (maybe refitting the one at the spacegun?) to work on the craft when it needs repairs or refitting the modules installed.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

why is there no Jack Nicholson nodding eagerly going "yessss" emoticon

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Still, for all the bugs I'm still glad I picked this over ARK: Survival Evolved. I haven't heard too much good about that one at all.

For all it's rough edges, there is still a lot of good to this game. Much if it borne from the obvious single player experience focus. Rather than war of the poopsock tribes with "I dunno, adjust some slider bars for single player mode I guess?" and assorted multiplayer focused games.

Unfortunately, a lot of the rough edges are caused by people who still want to balance it like a PvP survival game. Like seeing threads with people suggesting to double the titantium costs and add more required resources on top to build a Cyclops "Because it's so easy to get titanium you guys"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 2, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wouldn't mind having a tether or power cable to attach from your base to the Cyclops to recharge everything at once. Or maybe solar panel modules that only work at surface depths. Or, hell. Maybe a nuclear power plant, turn it into a nuclear submarine!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

At the very least they shouldn't make the cyclops take damage from wall collisions, because there are a bunch of places, like trying to exit the deep grand reef, that you sorta have to brute force your way through.

That's why they added all the cameras to it. It's like a real sub or boat: boring and hard to drive.

I don't think I've used the regular glass view since I got the Cyclops, it's much easier to pilot using the forward camera on the bottom, and the top when ascending near slopes or the grand reef.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Wouldn't mind having a tether or power cable to attach from your base to the Cyclops to recharge everything at once. Or maybe solar panel modules that only work at surface depths. Or, hell. Maybe a nuclear power plant, turn it into a nuclear submarine!

At the moment at least (Or did they remove that when I wasn't looking?), you can put power cell rechargers in your Cyclops, and get a net gain in energy because gently caress you, thermodynamics.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Section Z posted:

At the moment at least (Or did they remove that when I wasn't looking?), you can put power cell rechargers in your Cyclops, and get a net gain in energy because gently caress you, thermodynamics.

In the endgame you can also give your cyclops 6000 energy to work with, although at that point it's really more because you can than anything else.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I think if they added something like really big salvage chunks that need to be loaded and carried back to base in the Cyclops vehicle bay it'd add a lot--as-is, the Cyclops is pretty exclusively a quality-of-life upgrade and that makes it feel more hollow than a giant, kickass submarine should. A binary increase in capability, like the Prawn suit's drill arm letting you finally crack those big resource nodes, and a concrete reason to actually take the sub somewhere beyond easy access to lockers would really make it more interesting as a gameplay element, I think.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It'll all be moot since you'll see a crabsquid and immediately need to run away from it. I suspect when they add cyclops damage EMP will also effect it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ARK and Subnautica are really nothing alike and should not be compared.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, Lifepod 5 got shuffled around again, but this time there was a good reason for it. A reefback decided to use it as a scratching post and was rubbing itself all over it, making it bob and drift around.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
For the sake of obsessive neatness. I built myself a little kind of docking port for my Cyclops. I really dug the way the moonpool drops you out and you are good to speed away. So I put an airlock nestled in by the Cyclops port on the bottom. I also built windows in my base looking out at my "port" kinda like in the Star Trek movies when they can chill in the bar and look at the ship. What would really impress me is a straight docking collar so you can walk directly from the cyclops to your base. instead of getting wet when offloading resources.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Like maybe if the forward glass could retract open in the middle, or swing off to one side or something, Vault door style.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Is the knife the only piece of equipment that breaks from use, and does it still do that?

That was one of the stupidest things and the bug where it didnt was one of the best. What was even the bloody point of that nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It seems like they have a lot of ideas about what they might want but aren't committing enough to anything.

They want progression so they lock the multi-purpose room... even though it's pretty much required for bases and you won't chance across one too early.

They have a glove slot which serves no purpose other than you need to put a radiation suit glove in there.

The knife only loses durability because they wanted you to have a reason to upgrade it... though no one thought to show durability where another object would show its battery power, so unless you're checking it in your inventory all the time it's a crapshoot when it might go out.

Without more content all of those things are just annoyances and I hope they have better ideas before 1.0