Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm sure CIG will handel this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

gently caress it. I am finally going to ask after all these years. What is WH40K about?

It's about a galactic power brought low by betrayal, and everyone freaking the gently caress out and doing the wrong thing in the face of an existential threat. It's fuckups writ large from every angle on a vast scale that appealed to the 1980s tween view on the world with a soupcon of Brian Ansell's occult leanings. it's about good people doing the right thing and being punished for it. it's about everyone tripping over themselves trying to do the right thing.

And weirdly, it's really appealing to the alt-right. You know how some people view '1984' as a cautionary tale and others see a manual?

Yeah.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen: Watermarking our territory

Truly, Trump took all the lessons from the SC book.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWE_k-kzA7k

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Here's my own recollection of history...

Before Derek was on the scene, people like Beer4TheBeerGod were already doubting the project was possible, and actively posting about it being junk.

Now I don't believe the whole "it's a scam" came up before Derek though, he was involved by then.

But even without Derek, I think we'd all be at the same place today, though probably with less mass comedy and there'd be no hate forum on reddit dedicated to him.

Nope, from the kickstarter it's been called a scam and mocked.

You are mostly talking about the Games forum Star Citizen threads which were true believers up until 2015 or so. People could express some doubts but most people were bounced out of those threads with probations if they disturbed the flock of idiot goons with trolling.

I think Derek getting buttmad coincided with the collapse of the hugbox here finally allowing open mocking without moderator reprisal but there are threads in the gas chamber from 2012/2013 making fun of those goons/star citizen.

This guy makes way more sense now that you know he is a frustrated EVE snowflake.

Him going all over reddit spewing salt and being so loving angry about goons and CCP tolerating "organized trolling" means he was probably one of those idiots that got caught in a recruitment scam since CCP condones scamming as an analogue of real world economics. So he probably fell for the internet spaceship equivalent of a nigerian prince scam and has now purchased an autism armada.

I'd also bet that there is a direct correlation between the size of his spergfleet and the amount of money he lost due to obvious scams in EVE, since Anger Mcbuttsalt obviously throws money at games to buy validation.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen: Watermarking our territory

I was thinking Star Citizen: Heart of Archness but this is better.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

:thurman:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

gently caress it. I am finally going to ask after all these years. What is WH40K about?

It's a British Science Fiction take on Monty Python, with Tolkien, Alien and Sex Demons thrown in, only it's all in Latin.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

tooterfish posted:

Couple of years ago, couldn't tell you which show (they've done that loving many).

He sat glassy eyed in front of an open IDE for a few minutes, typing like a grandmother learning how to "electronic mail".

It was pathetic, so citizens lapped it up obviously. Chris is the greatest coder since god.

Wasn't that some PAX where he was sitting in front of the computer and couldn't figure out how to work the game?

If there is some IDE footage I would love to see that.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hope so, otherwise this stuff will come bach to bite them.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

It's a British Science Fiction take on Monty Python, with Tolkien, Alien and Sex Demons thrown in, only it's all in Latin.

I prefer Battletech myself, but yeah. They're both basically "Hey what if everyone was a Mary Sue and we just turned the AWESOME/INSANE knob until it broke the gently caress off"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DapperDon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4&t=282s

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Wasn't that some PAX where he was sitting in front of the computer and couldn't figure out how to work the game?
No, this is a completely different time he sat clueless in front of a computer for five minutes.

Wish I could remember which show it was, but I never pay that much attention to what I'm watching on this shitshow.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

AP posted:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, scanners was a big influence too.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I prefer Battletech myself, but yeah. They're both basically "Hey what if everyone was a Mary Sue and we just turned the AWESOME/INSANE knob until it broke the gently caress off"

Battletech was the poo poo when I was a kid. There was a Japanese kid on my block that had all of the REALLY cool Mech toys that you couldn't buy over here (early 80's) and we would watch the poo poo out of that show. Good times.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

tooterfish posted:

No, this is a completely different time he sat clueless in front of a computer for five minutes.

Wish I could remember which show it was, but I never pay that much attention to what I'm watching on this shitshow.

?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc7ywfd1qe8
(the origin of paaarp)

Edit: 3 years since we made that? HA.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

Battletech was the poo poo when I was a kid. There was a Japanese kid on my block that had all of the REALLY cool Mech toys that you couldn't buy over here (early 80's) and we would watch the poo poo out of that show. Good times.

Yeah it never quite reached the level of pants-making GBS threads insanity of WH40K but it was and still is dope as hell.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Imagine... The SCENE:
A boardroom with space tumbleweed aimlessly blowing around. Present in the boardroom around the aeroplane wing desk are Chris Roberts, Sandi Gardiner, Ben Lesnik, Unfortunate Peons numbers 1 & 2, and Ortwin Freyermuth.

Crobblers (For it is he): Uh muh wohr *waves hands* what's, um, all this about, um hrrr, an intent to sue?? *waves hands*

Unfortunate peon No.1 (in charge of art): Well sir, it seems some clever bastard Goons fou-

Sandi (interrupting): Shut the gently caress up! You know that you are not allowed to use the loving G word here!!

Lesnick: Wing Commander

Unfortunate Peon No.1: ...er some "people" found some art we'd, er, borrowed from 123rf and notified them....

Crobblers: Um *waves hands* well er, er, er what are we going to do about it? *waves hands*

Sandi: (pointing at Unfortunate Peon No.1) You! You loving poo poo! This is your loving fault! You're loving fired!

Sandi: Commando??? Did you say loving Commando?? That's NOT loving ALLOWED either!

Unfortunate Peon No.1: I'll just get me coat then

Sandi: gently caress off!

Ortwin: Don't worry Chris, even if they do sue us they wont know which of the 71 corporate bodies we have incorporated to sue, it's as opaque as mud *laughs*

Crobblers: *waves hands* um *waves hands* er *waves hands* Good! That's good - um so we're in the clear then? *waves hands*

Unfortunate Peon No.2 (in charge of art as of 20 seconds ago): Um sir I'm not quite sure about tha-

Sandi: (to Unfortunate Peon No.2) Are you loving kidding me? You're loving fired too! Get out of my loving sight!

Crobblers: um er um woh *waves hands*

END SCENE

Galarox fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 2, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Fat Shat Sings posted:

?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc7ywfd1qe8
(the origin of paaarp)

Edit: 3 years since we made that? HA.

That was the one I was thinking of.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

123rf will absolutely sue, it's pretty much part of their business model :v:

C'mon, they see a 141M$ target just dropped down in front of them like that? Bet they're going to spend some time looking for additional "hommages"

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Is Chris in jail yet?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Sorry friend! As you can tell when I get into "Workd War 2 bomber mode" my office, made of aircraft stuff, becomes my B-52 and I just sometimes take it too far. Already thinking I should just replace my office door with a hatch from an old bomber too. I bet I can find the parts just laying around in a buddy's garage and have it cobbled together by volunteer employees. :clint:

Why? It won't open right anyway and you will just have to clip through it. Waste of resources.

If you don't like my opinion, we can move this to concern.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I thought they have more people building jpeg's than anyone else in the company? Why would they continue to steal artwork?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

I thought they have more people building jpeg's than anyone else in the company? Why would they continue to steal artwork?

A Derek Smart plant did it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'd like to know the thought process that leads to 'better load up 123rf and steal it' rather than 'better load up illustrator and make it' when faced with the admittedly huge task of creating a 'Best Price Guaranteed' graphic

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

I'd like to know the thought process that leads to 'better load up 123rf and steal it' rather than 'better load up illustrator and make it' when faced with the admittedly huge task of creating a 'Best Price Guaranteed' graphic

The artist got sick of redoing the loving asset 50 times because Chris is an indecisive gently caress so the they just said gently caress it and grabbed the first thing they found

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sillybones posted:

Also TIMEWAAAARP:

I'm the bile.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The artist got sick of redoing the loving asset 50 times because Chris is an indecisive gently caress so the they just said gently caress it and grabbed the first thing they found

It's not really hard I made this since my last post, they can use this if they like, it is open source

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
The Star Citizen youtube channel has 801 videos

Reminder, one of them is the below which they thought was a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSrWgU01QJ0&t=13s

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

On that level, they're not wrong. I have worked with people that destroy whatever integrity or work ethics a person has and causes them to just put their day on autopilot for the paycheck and bennies. They just do their 8 and hit the gate.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DapperDon posted:

On that level, they're not wrong. I have worked with people that destroy whatever integrity or work ethics a person has and causes them to just put their day on autopilot for the paycheck and bennies. They just do their 8 and hit the gate.

We all get projects like that, it doesn't make me want to go out and steal poo poo though

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

AP posted:

Still good to see Sandi is getting mileage out of her fetishwear collection.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

The Fantasy setting was an utter pisstake of Tolkein originally, with Dwarves being borderline alcoholics that know how to hold a grudge. Second edition came with the 'Battle of Ork's Rift', which is a play on the events portrayed in the film 'Zulu'. The 'Empire' was largely based around the Holy Roman Empire with various other flavors of medieval thrown in. Orcs Iz Orcs.

The Far future version was much the same; I have the first printing of WH40K that I had on pre-order for fricking months and it's filled with sci-fi tropes, turning up the silly to the max.

Ansell's takeover then tipped us hard into 'Realms of Darkness' territory and a new world of tit-demons that would hold sway until a board revolt and effectively a corporate takeover which wanted to concentrate on extracting cash from nerds. Chaos got a huge buff during this time.

The corporate takeover started to throw more concentration into spessh marines, while neglecting other lines. Then they started with bigger kits, and rules for those kits (Apocalypse rules tend to require around $120/unit of three tanks), before killing off the Fantasy line due to a lack of sales.

It's been interesting watching the fortunes of the company over time, as they've always seemed so drat abusive to their customers, but drat it if they didn't produce an interesting set of worlds.

Slaanesh is going to get killed off, though. You can have a skull God, but not tit monsters.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

tooterfish posted:

He sat glassy eyed in front of an open IDE for a few minutes, typing like a grandmother learning how to "electronic mail".
Read it as IED first. I'd watch that.

AP posted:

Another one of them is :sandance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFT-jfTZf1U

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hav posted:

The Fantasy setting was an utter pisstake of Tolkein originally, with Dwarves being borderline alcoholics that know how to hold a grudge. Second edition came with the 'Battle of Ork's Rift', which is a play on the events portrayed in the film 'Zulu'. The 'Empire' was largely based around the Holy Roman Empire with various other flavors of medieval thrown in. Orcs Iz Orcs.

The Far future version was much the same; I have the first printing of WH40K that I had on pre-order for fricking months and it's filled with sci-fi tropes, turning up the silly to the max.

Ansell's takeover then tipped us hard into 'Realms of Darkness' territory and a new world of tit-demons that would hold sway until a board revolt and effectively a corporate takeover which wanted to concentrate on extracting cash from nerds. Chaos got a huge buff during this time.

The corporate takeover started to throw more concentration into spessh marines, while neglecting other lines. Then they started with bigger kits, and rules for those kits (Apocalypse rules tend to require around $120/unit of three tanks), before killing off the Fantasy line due to a lack of sales.

It's been interesting watching the fortunes of the company over time, as they've always seemed so drat abusive to their customers, but drat it if they didn't produce an interesting set of worlds.

Slaanesh is going to get killed off, though. You can have a skull God, but not tit monsters.

I have no interest in the game itself but the setting is extremely awesome. I mean just look at this loving thing. Awesome.

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme
While reading this thread I'll randomly and for no reason recall the mental imagery of a grilled cheese sandwich being pulled apart. I think I've been permanently damaged.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

I haven't really followed it for 20+ years.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The Titanic posted:

Here's my own recollection of history...

Before Derek was on the scene, people like Beer4TheBeerGod were already doubting the project was possible, and actively posting about it being junk.

Now I don't believe the whole "it's a scam" came up before Derek though, he was involved by then.

SA has been calling Star Citizen a scam since the kickstarter. People in the games thread would redtext you for making fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

SA has been calling Star Citizen a scam since the kickstarter. People in the games thread would redtext you for making fun of it.

Even as a SC believer I found that party extremely funny.