Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Belated EC talk from a few pages back - there aren't any liberals or Democrats wringing their hands evilly for the EC to work in their favor, then decrying it when it doesn't. Because it never does, and districts are drawn up intentionally to swing right. Republicans are the only ones who would miss the EC because they're the only ones who keep getting their garbage-tier presidents elected against popular vote in recent history.

And of course if Clinton won the EC but lost the popular I'd take it, because our president wouldn't be a literal piss pig, but I wouldn't be any less horrified and I'd still regard the EC as dubious at best. Someone said they wouldn't trust the coasts to know what's best for the Midwest, but the reverse is also true and there's a hell of a lot more people on the coasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
One time I had a really bad fever and hallucinated that my back was cut into strips and I had to use brass pins to piece it back together. Another time I had insomnia for days and hallucinated people talking in my ears and the shower spraying blood at my feet.
My body supplies its own trips.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Solice Kirsk posted:

One time on acid I figured out the meaning of life and immediately started crying because I knew I wouldn't remember it because I was too hosed up.

It's ok, if you had remembered it or written it down, sober you wouldn't have understood it at all (or would've laughed at how stupid it was). Unless your life is based around drug consumption, no epiphany you have while on drugs is meaningful.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

WampaLord posted:

Why are you such a square?

Ever speed on the way to work, law breaker?

I was only partially serious. I would argue that hard drug (i.e. heroin, meth) addicts or alcoholics shouldn't be allowed to have important jobs like doctors or anything else where you're responsible for other peoples' safety/health, no matter how well you hide it and how good you are at the job. Like that Flight movie with Denzel Washington - it didn't matter that he saved a lot of people, the fact that he was drunk and high was a betrayal of the public trust and he deserved to go to jail/be fired. The same should happen if your doctor took some heroin before work even if nothing bad happens.

Anyway, Blue Star, if drug addicts are humans at their full potential, why are they invariably mentally unstable (unless on drugs) fuckups at life? Why do they never do anything meaningful with their expanded consciousness other than preach about drugs to other people?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Drug testing employees is stupid and a waste of time, and completely invasive.

Unless there is an accident then check, but it should never be a condition for employment
It should be treated just like alcohol - as long as you're not high/drunk at work your employer doesn't get a say.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Why do they never do anything meaningful with their expanded consciousness other than preach about drugs to other people?

What constitutes meaningful?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Ever try doing a SAT prep test while blasted? It's humbling.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was only partially serious. I would argue that hard drug (i.e. heroin, meth) addicts or alcoholics shouldn't be allowed to have important jobs like doctors or anything else where you're responsible for other peoples' safety/health, no matter how well you hide it and how good you are at the job. Like that Flight movie with Denzel Washington - it didn't matter that he saved a lot of people, the fact that he was drunk and high was a betrayal of the public trust and he deserved to go to jail/be fired. The same should happen if your doctor took some heroin before work even if nothing bad happens.

Anyway, Blue Star, if drug addicts are humans at their full potential, why are they invariably mentally unstable (unless on drugs) fuckups at life? Why do they never do anything meaningful with their expanded consciousness other than preach about drugs to other people?

Not all drugs make you "hosed up". Opiate addicts (and there's no effective difference between heroin and oxycodone in this regard) do not become "high" from the drug; it just staves off physical withdrawal. Functional opiate addicts are quite common - you just rarely notice them because the drug doesn't influence their behavior.

(Granted, I don't think this is really true of stimulants like meth or whatever marijuana is, though I could be wrong about the former since I don't really understand how stimulant dependence works.)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Without drugs we'd have almost no pieces of art or music

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Soiled Meat
lol if you really think that

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All those great musicians that have enhanced your life with music throughout the years? Reeeeeeeal loving high on drugs.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

I honestly can not comprehend why so many people get upset about spoilers for movies, books, tv shows etc. I usually enjoy things more if I already know what is going to happen, and have never felt like a "twist" at the end of a narrative was ruined because I knew about it in advance. When people try to explain to me why spoilers ruin the experience for them or whatever it never really makes sense. This usually only ever comes up when someone tries to recommend a piece of media to me and I ask them what happens in it. People get all cagey about the details and refuse to tell me because they think I won't be able to like it if it's been spoiled for me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

slouch posted:

I usually enjoy things more if I already know what is going to happen

Serious question: have you been diagnosed with autism?

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Devoyniche posted:

I talked to a dude who speculated that most economic movements and protests today were started by the 1 %. Like, all the movements like Black Lives Matter, even feminism, they didnt gain real traction until after Occupy Wall Street. The dude speculated that the rich, the 1% were actually rattled by the idea of OWS and realized that what was needed more was to turn people against each other rather than threaten the oligarchy; which led to what you see today where people of the same "class group" are angry at each other over political disagreements, rather than both of them being angry and working against the guys at the top. It was a form of 'divide and conquer' in his words.

This is pretty much true. I doubt they secretly start poo poo but anything that discourages solidarity gets loads of attention and is generally allowed to run its course as a 'controversy'. Race stuff especially. Anything that has a whiff of class consciousness about it is ignored, ridiculed into the ground, or shut down by force. The ruling class don't have double agents hiding in the movements or anything retarded like that, but they know what they're doing.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

I could list a bunch of writers, of literature, not "rock songs", who did lots of drugs but really the list is not needed, you can probably think of many of them on your own.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Artist types are all huge fuckups and need to be largely taken care of in society by those who aren't artistic/huge fuckups.

In exchange for this, artist types are who make life worth living!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

slouch posted:

I honestly can not comprehend why so many people get upset about spoilers for movies, books, tv shows etc. I usually enjoy things more if I already know what is going to happen, and have never felt like a "twist" at the end of a narrative was ruined because I knew about it in advance. When people try to explain to me why spoilers ruin the experience for them or whatever it never really makes sense. This usually only ever comes up when someone tries to recommend a piece of media to me and I ask them what happens in it. People get all cagey about the details and refuse to tell me because they think I won't be able to like it if it's been spoiled for me.
:same:

Actually, I don't feel like spoilers make anything better, they just don't make it worse. The only exception (sort of) is comedy, where hearing the punch line ahead of the setup can definitely ruin a joke, but as far as stories go it makes no difference.

And people complaining about spoilers are the worst. If you're that bothered by it, just make sure to watch stuff in a timely manner. Don't expect everyone you know to avoid discussing popular media just because you might not have seen it yet. Get over it.

doverhog posted:

I could list a bunch of writers, of literature, not "rock songs", who did lots of drugs but really the list is not needed, you can probably think of many of them on your own.
Most of those are exaggerated or taken out of context (like, they did drugs but not actually while they were producing their best work) or just made up (because they must have been on something to come up with that!). Drugs making you "more creative" is just how you feel when you're on drugs because you're too impaired to realise how dumb your ideas are.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tiggum posted:

And people complaining about spoilers are the worst. If you're that bothered by it, just make sure to watch stuff in a timely manner.

Hard to do when FYAD changes it's forum name to "Han Solo Dies" a week before the loving movie came out.

Tiggum posted:

Most of those are exaggerated or taken out of context (like, they did drugs but not actually while they were producing their best work) or just made up (because they must have been on something to come up with that!). Drugs making you "more creative" is just how you feel when you're on drugs because you're too impaired to realise how dumb your ideas are.

Carl Sagan said he would have insights about math/physics while high and could retain them afterwards.

http://marijuana-uses.com/mr-x/

quote:

There is a myth about such highs: the user has an illusion of great insight, but it does not survive scrutiny in the morning. I am convinced that this is an error, and that the devastating insights achieved when high are real insights; the main problem is putting these insights in a form acceptable to the quite different self that we are when we’re down the next day. Some of the hardest work I’ve ever done has been to put such insights down on tape or in writing.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Tiggum posted:

I didn't claim they did their work while high (though some did), just that they both did something meaningful and did drugs, and really we should be including alcohol to "drugs", and then you're gonna have a hard timing finding any writers who didn't partake.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

slouch posted:

Yeah I agree with this. Spoilers have never actually spoiled anything for me, because knowing a technical detail to a fictional story doesn't do anything for you. I always think of spoilers in the comic book sense. Because generally comics spoil poo poo right on the cover for you. It will say this issue Captain America dies. Because they're trying to get you to buy the book. The actual knowledge of captain America dying isn't what's important it's how it happens and what it took to get there that is important.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

69 isn't all that great.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
RE: Spoilers
A lot of the time the reactions are overblown but I've had some instances of watching a movie wherein the first viewing is special. Something happens and you can feel your brain just stop, stutter and panic trying to make sense of what you just saw. No Country for Old Men did this for me, as well as Ida and Rebecca. Hell, I had it the first time I read 1984.
But then I also had it when I watched Dear Zachary. That wasn't the good kind and I cried all weekend. :suicide:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't imagine people liking Arrival nearly as much if they spoil the ending. The whole movie builds up to it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The thing about spoilers is that they rob you of an experience. You will never have the experience of seeing the story unfold without knowing what will happen.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't imagine people liking Arrival nearly as much if they spoil the ending. The whole movie builds up to it.

Kinda sorta spoiler not really:
How do you spoil the ending if it's at the beginning? SOMEONE DIDN'T PAY ATTENTION.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

spit on my clit posted:

I wonder if chinese goes well with sushi...

Hung out with my cousin a few months ago, and it was his idea to stop at an Asian supermarket to do this.

Alternating between sushi and General Tso's with fried noodles is awesome.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Goons are way too protective about spoilers. They act like every single little detail of the story is a huge reveal, and knowing anything about it means it's completely ruined.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Serious question: have you been diagnosed with autism?

No but my father once sent me an email containing a link to an article about autism asking me "thoughts? read it and let's discuss." I also have a bunch of seemingly autistic family members so maybe I have the spectrum running through my blood.

The_Rob posted:

Yeah I agree with this. Spoilers have never actually spoiled anything for me, because knowing a technical detail to a fictional story doesn't do anything for you. I always think of spoilers in the comic book sense. Because generally comics spoil poo poo right on the cover for you. It will say this issue Captain America dies. Because they're trying to get you to buy the book. The actual knowledge of captain America dying isn't what's important it's how it happens and what it took to get there that is important.

This is my thinking, more or less. Are roller coaster rides not exciting if you know that they will eventually come to an end? Does seeing a loop in the ride while standing in line make the experience of being flipped upside down any less thrilling? Presumably not. Even If I already know the narrative beats of a story, I am still able to enjoy on the moment-to-moment experience of the cinematography and I can still empathize with the fictional experience of a character who does not yet know they were Actually A Ghost The Whole Time. I live my whole life on the precipice of a terrifying, unknowable future. Why the hell wouldn't I want a two hour long break from that?

I'll look up The Arrival before watching it and report back. :twisted:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Arrival is a different movie starring Charlie Sheen.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Spoilers no matter how big never absolutely ruin the experience. They can make it less enjoyable though. There's no sense in getting super pissed about it though, it's just a movie/tv show/book. If the "twist" was the only good thing about it it wasn't a good movie - I know almost every line to movies I rewatch all the time but they are no less enjoyable.

There's a happy middle ground between the people who refuse to go online or talk to people before seeing a movie and the type of person that looks up spoilers before seeing a movie. Avoid them if you can, but it's not the end of the world if you see one.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Intentionally spoiling things for people is dumb

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

free basket of chips posted:

Intentionally spoiling things for people is dumb

Hachi machi that's one spicy opinion :prepop:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Backing the side that doesn't care about spoilers. Knowing that someone is going to die doesn't ruin the author depicting people dealing with grief, or how visually spectacular someone blowing up is. If the writing is actually any good, then stuff like character development isn't going to be ruined from knowing some focus point in advance. It is probably unfair, but people whining about spoilers is nearly always into some trashy sci-fi or fantasy garbage.

I mean, it is fine to like whatever, but there is a reason why it is always someone talking about Star Wars or Harry Potter who feels that spoilers ruined everything, and not someone freaking out about being told that Fyodor dies in Brothers Karamazov. Intentionally spolering people and ruining their experience is rude, but grown-ups freaking out about super-heros lore is also pretty funny and that is the exact people who get wound up about spoilers.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Meg dies in Little Women

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

not that i don't think there are works whose intended impact hinges on a pivotal reveal or some kind of twist which reframes all preceding events, i think i liked arrival in spite of the ending tbh - tho it wrapped up the film nicely and did reframe preceding events neatly i felt that the ending was the weakest part ... but that isn't exactly a damning critique since i thought it was a pretty good film overall and even its weakest link was okay - i bet that counts as an unpopular opinion

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It is absolutely about how it reframes the preceding parts that makes the ending good.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've not seen it, and probably won't in the foreseeable future, one of you just tell me the twist and all that.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

it did a thing i detest when plots involving non-linear time shenanigans have the protagonist in a completely inescapable situation but then have a future version of themselves intervene in their favor, it doesn't just kill the tension of the one scene for me, it retroactively kills any preceding tension

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My apparently unpopular opinion about the arrival is that the father was right to be super pissed at her and leave her for not disclosing some extremely serious info she had before making a major commitment. This is apparently an unpopular opinions because a bunch of people disagreed and told me it's a woman's right to have a child and men shouldn't have a say and there's always risk in life (and I'm practically accusing her of spermjacking which makes me an mra). I tried to explain that's not the point, the point is that she purposefully withheld extremely life-changing information from the father that had a right to know because she had time-travel mind powers he didn't have, information that would have absolutely influenced his consent to try for a kid or not. Also why not try to change the future, just to see how that works? The ending had this real "everything is predetermined so just enjoy the experience who cares if you hurt other people that's just their destiny" message, or at least that's how I interpreted it, and I've never cared for that message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Baronjutter posted:

My apparently unpopular opinion about the arrival is that the father was right to be super pissed at her and leave her for not disclosing some extremely serious info she had before making a major commitment. This is apparently an unpopular opinions because a bunch of people disagreed and told me it's a woman's right to have a child and men shouldn't have a say and there's always risk in life (and I'm practically accusing her of spermjacking which makes me an mra). I tried to explain that's not the point, the point is that she purposefully withheld extremely life-changing information from the father that had a right to know because she had time-travel mind powers he didn't have, information that would have absolutely influenced his consent to try for a kid or not. Also why not try to change the future, just to see how that works? The ending had this real "everything is predetermined so just enjoy the experience who cares if you hurt other people that's just their destiny" message, or at least that's how I interpreted it, and I've never cared for that message.

Because she didn't just see the future, she existed in it simultaneously. For all purposes her daughter was alive to her already. If giving information to my wife would cause my son to potentially be removed for existence (even if I wouldn't remember, possibly) I would never tell her that, because my child's existence is more important than our relationship. Cancer or not. I see your perspective, I think I just came at it a different way. Also, playing future experiment with the potential destruction of your own child doesn't seem to make any sense, so I'm not sure if that's what you meant there.

There's probably a thread for this in the cinema subforum I never go to. I just saw it last night, so I'll probably head there for chatter about it.