Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I hope there is an achievement where you put Dyson spheres on all stars in the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Expansion looks fantastic. Having massive vanity projects that stir up diplomacy in the late game will be tremendous fun. The Sentry looks incredibly handy - ringworlds look so much less attractive by comparison.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Aethernet posted:

Expansion looks fantastic. Having massive vanity projects that stir up diplomacy in the late game will be tremendous fun. The Sentry looks incredibly handy - ringworlds look so much less attractive by comparison.

Do we know if you can build more than one ring world?

Because if it's feasible to do so then yeah, i'd pick the ring world over the Sentry. You could literally just huddle up in one corner of the galaxy with a dozen ring worlds producing tech, minerals, and energy and watch the rest of the galaxy burn until it was time to intervene. Why squabble over worlds and resources when you can just build most of them?

Y'know, things that a Fallen Empire does.

Edit: The Megastructures mod and ring world creation mod is a good preview of this. Megastructures in particular adds in ring worlds along with some other neat ideas that aren't featured in the expansion. Usually by the time i've gotten to the point where I can build multiple ring worlds the affairs of the rest of the galaxy seem pretty pointless, barring them trying to nab a rare resource I want or them loving with my agenda in some way.

After all, why bother with a bunch of nations wielding cruisers when I can field an armada of super dreadnoughts, battleships, battlecruisers, and insane/horrific world destroying super weapons from ISB? Everyone else does what I want them to do anyways since I could just blow them to heck and back. Politics at that point becomes an issue of dealing with aggressive AE's, keeping good relations with the xenophile AE if it's around, and keeping remaining FE's complacent while they :smug: from the ruins of their empire.

Usually that's around the time the Unbidden show up. Or there's a huge AI revolt. Or the Prethoryn come screaming into a section of the galaxy nearby. :allears:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 2, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Ringworlds (and Dyson Spheres) need to be built in 'planet rich' systems and even then can't be built around certain types of stars so not every system will be a candidate. And while I suspect a ringworld and Dyson Sphere may be mutually exclusive in one system it doesn't sound like there's a limit to what you can build otherwise. Just what your economy can support.

I wonder if you can build a sphere around a star in an inhabited system and kill everyone?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Dyson Sphere: Can only be built around a star in your borders and provides a huge amount of energy each month, with the amount increasing for each stage of the Dyson Sphere completed. Once completed, the Dyson Sphere will cool down the system, turning most planets there into frozen worlds

Does this mean picking your species world type is no longer just cosmetic now?

I think that's a good design decision if that's the case, but it would be weird if this was the only thing in the entire game it affects.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I think that's a good design decision if that's the case, but it would be weird if this was the only thing in the entire game it affects.

Frozen, not arctic. Frozen worlds are uninhabitable.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Frozen worlds aren't inhabitable in vanilla.

There's a mod that deals with this by making them colonizable but otherwise i'd imagine that it'd kill everyone in the system.

Edit: drat, beaten. Beaten by one of the devs, in fact.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 2, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Archonex posted:

Do we know if you can build more than one ring world?

Because if it's feasible to do so then yeah, i'd pick the ring world over the Sentry. You could literally just huddle up in one corner of the galaxy with a dozen ring worlds producing tech, minerals, and energy and watch the rest of the galaxy burn until it was time to intervene. Why squabble over worlds and resources when you can just build most of them?

Y'know, things that a Fallen Empire does.
I really like the ever increasing "He who fights monsters" nature of this game.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Wiz posted:

Frozen, not arctic. Frozen worlds are uninhabitable.

Oh, right. I guess it's hard to run a civilization in a world with zero solar energy.

Given the prior theme of the expansion being horrible ways to treat aliens it would be amusing if early stages of the sphere changed planets to colder biomes, and then you could kill everyone by completing it.

I just want various ways for megastructure building to go horribly wrong :unsmigghh:

ModernMajorGeneral fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 2, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bholder posted:

Starting next to a xenophobic FE is borderline restart worthy, but if you settle away from them you might get something out of it.

Also if you can destroy any of their ships you could get some early jump drives which is amazing.
Alas, I coulda gotten one of their ships but I was trying to keep my fleets intact so no dice. Did get a mining station and so I have end-game tier shields, shooty guns and armor though.

Huh. That makes me wonder actually; if I settle a paradise world, could I then wait for those schmucks to declare war on me? Or maybe gift it to a small empire, defensive pact, no no, they'd just give in wouldn't they? Hrrrmmmm.

ChickenWing posted:

Other than finding powerful friends, is it possible to do as well as a big expandy empire as a small hemmed-in empire? It seems that without the same amount of space, there's not much building tall that can compensate for building wide.

It's me I've started like four games in a row next to a Fanatical Purifier that expanded like a motherfuck
Well, you can either become the fanatic purifiers and just do it to them harder or actually be pacifists; having more core worlds is just amaze because you can maximize each of their outputs, which gives you more bang for your buck.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Splicer posted:

I really like the ever increasing "He who fights monsters" nature of this game.

Y'know, in my modded game it got to the point where I was bombarding a purge loving xenophobic AE and their thralls into submission before releasing chemicals into the atmosphere of their planets that would brainwash them into being pacifistic xenophiles before I stepped back and realized that my civilization might have crossed the moral event horizon a few times in stopping them.

At that point you had might as well just check out of the galaxy for a few centuries while the opinion malus ticks down and everyone forgets that you literally mind raped half the galaxy into loving the rest of it. Cue me building ring worlds and adapting a policy of militant isolationism like the AE I just took out. Surely nothing will go wrong with that plan, right? :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 2, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, there's arctic climate and then there's frozen wasteland. One is like being a penguin race, other is "oh look, liquid nitrogen lakes".

Also irenic bureaucracy is goddamn amazing. So many core systems.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Truga posted:

Also irenic bureaucracy is goddamn amazing. So many core systems.
It really is. It makes pacifism insanely good, especially because core system up tech is rare and a hassle to get.

I'm not sure I can ever get back to being a warmonger

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I routinely have 1 or 2 additional core sustems (especially if they have multiple colonizable planets) without much issue. Energy can get a little tight if the fleet is out and about but otherwise it's not a problem. Maybe that will change now that we have something to spend energy and minerals on though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My main problem with pacifists is after a bit it becomes impossible to expand outside liberation wars. I mean, peace through superior firepower is real nice and all, but I'd really like if there were alternatives.

Hopefully the faction rework will allow cooler things later on. In my single player game my huge star empire xenophobe neighbour has some serious happiness issues on most of their planets, and ends up having to enslave them all (until I invade with "stop atrocities" again), it'd be nice if they decided to just join my utopian society by means other than me declaring war. I'd be fine with a war, even, it's just be nice if sometimes the faction leader stepped up and said "hey, you guys look like cool dudes, and these guys are real shitlords. Care helping us out?".

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I routinely have 1 or 2 additional core sustems (especially if they have multiple colonizable planets) without much issue. Energy can get a little tight if the fleet is out and about but otherwise it's not a problem. Maybe that will change now that we have something to spend energy and minerals on though.

It's insane how quick teching happens when you have full control over all your 20 planets though. I have so much science labs on my planets and still have enough surplus power that the negative that inevitably happens during the odd war doesn't really dent my pool much. Early on it seemed a bit slower than my usual games because I colonized everything as fast as I could, but when the pops fully populated the planets holey moly.

e: speaking of not sectors is there any way to keep sector'd planets on the right side panel? It'd be really nice if I could use their starports without having to go into system and find each planet there.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Hardly suprising but I can't quite see what's so utopian about that launch trailer...

Splicer posted:

It's the digital consciousness ascension. Those data banks are full of happy people doing happy things.

The key thing to remember is that to build your Utopia you might need to purge a species or two. One race's heaven is another race's hell etc.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Truga posted:

My main problem with pacifists is after a bit it becomes impossible to expand outside liberation wars. I mean, peace through superior firepower is real nice and all, but I'd really like if there were alternatives.

Hopefully the faction rework will allow cooler things later on. In my single player game my huge star empire xenophobe neighbour has some serious happiness issues on most of their planets, and ends up having to enslave them all (until I invade with "stop atrocities" again), it'd be nice if they decided to just join my utopian society by means other than me declaring war. I'd be fine with a war, even, it's just be nice if sometimes the faction leader stepped up and said "hey, you guys look like cool dudes, and these guys are real shitlords. Care helping us out?".
All you need is one vassal that isn't peaceful and you can assign them planets to take over. Don't add too many but you can then vassalize parts and liberate others.

But yeah, not being able to diplovassal at all is kinda sad. I mean, dang dudes, you're tiny and I treat my vassals as well as I can, join my warm embrace of getting mad tech and minerals.

Truga posted:

It's insane how quick teching happens when you have full control over all your 20 planets though. I have so much science labs on my planets and still have enough surplus power that the negative that inevitably happens during the odd war doesn't really dent my pool much. Early on it seemed a bit slower than my usual games because I colonized everything as fast as I could, but when the pops fully populated the planets holey moly.
I have so many planets I'm starting to think I mighta made a mistake but gently caress it; I have battleships, the rest I can get from scrap.

Truga posted:

e: speaking of not sectors is there any way to keep sector'd planets on the right side panel? It'd be really nice if I could use their starports without having to go into system and find each planet there.
Not as far as I know, but if you actually click the sectors in the F5 menu you get to see each planet there. I usually do that just to make sure everyone has solar panels/hydroponics.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

The key thing to remember is that to build your Utopia you might need to purge a species or two. One race's heaven is another race's hell etc.

Yeah, but heaven needs hell and hell needs demons. Those guys can be the demons. (I don't like to purge.)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's a really big advantage to go with the minimum amount of colonised systems until you've got everything you want researched. try a game sticking to two systems and notice the absurd tech advantage you'll have over neighbours - abuse frontier outposts for border control

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Deceitful Penguin posted:

All you need is one vassal that isn't peaceful and you can assign them planets to take over. Don't add too many but you can then vassalize parts and liberate others.

Wait what? You can assign orders to vassals?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's a really big advantage to go with the minimum amount of colonised systems until you've got everything you want researched. try a game sticking to two systems and notice the absurd tech advantage you'll have over neighbours - abuse frontier outposts for border control

But as long as you build what, 2 or 3 research buildings on each planet you come out ahead no?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

that takes time and pop escalation factors into it, your fleet cap will be lower but tech will give you the edge in holding aggressive ais at bay

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

LogisticEarth posted:

Wait what? You can assign orders to vassals?
Well, not really? But if you set them as the recipients of the planets in the war declaration I have noticed them going for those planets more; at least the last time that vassal was the one to send the invasion troops and whatnot.

It could just be that he's my only non-pacifist tho

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Now I have to build my Dyson sphere in the Sol system inhabited by primitive humans. Don't worry, I'll send them a note that we're going to be paving over their sun so they have time to move.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I guess you can still build orbitals around those newly frozen worlds? I think I would have greatly preferred it if the dyson sphere functioned like a ring world PLUS a massive energy bonus.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Demiurge4 posted:

Now I have to build my Dyson sphere in the Sol system inhabited by primitive humans. Don't worry, I'll send them a note that we're going to be paving over their sun so they have time to move.

Personally, I'm going to make a wall around the sun and make the xenos pay for it.

e: On science, if you're going to expand at all while trying to be the science leader, do it as quickly as possible from the start and then stop. You'll lag a bit for the first 20 years, then speed past the galaxy once your planets populate. Having free migration also helps.

Slow but steady expansion and focusing on science gives at best average results since there's always that one planet giving a science malus but having little to no output.

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 2, 2017

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Is there a trick to getting a civilization you've just liberated to be your vassal? Even when their strength is pathetic and their opinion of you is in the high 100s, they just won't entertain the idea.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Are you a xenophobe? They inherit their liberator's traits, so if you're a xenophobe, so are they and it's much harder to integrate them like that. Likewise, with xenophile, it's much much easier. You might have to wait a few years in any case though, often their trust for you right out of a war won't be the best and unless they feel threatened from another presence in the vicinity they won't entertain the matter.

On the other hand, when I liberate planets from a shitshow of an empire, they'll often they ask me to be my vassal/protectorate as soon as the war ends.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Bramble posted:

Is there a trick to getting a civilization you've just liberated to be your vassal? Even when their strength is pathetic and their opinion of you is in the high 100s, they just won't entertain the idea.

peaceful vassalization basically does not happen. let the truce expire and then kick their sandcastle over.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Can I just say that his next expansion looks rad as hell and I can't wait to play it?

However, on the subject of peaceful expansion in the late game, one feature that I loved and miss from Galactic Civilizations 2 was the Culture mechanic. Culture was tied into your borders, and planets could be flipped to your side purely by having the superior culture full of cool stuff. I think it would be really neat if planets would rebel against their nations and ask to become your vassal, inviting you into liberation wars, and then become integrated later on. Let us develop techs and buildings and starbases that pump out badass culture that other species want to get in on. It would give us a peaceful way to expand in the mid and late game without being the aggressor in a bunch of wars.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish there was some sort of "liberate vassal" war goal that was like a more expensive liberation goal but the liberated parties automatically become a new vassal.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Demiurge4 posted:

New megastructure: interstellar bypass.

it is a douglas adams joke

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

wait what how the hell does this work? Doesn't having more space mean you get more research stations, which is objectively better?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Baronjutter posted:

I wish there was some sort of "liberate vassal" war goal that was like a more expensive liberation goal but the liberated parties automatically become a new vassal.

"Establish protectorate" - go make space-taiwan

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You can of course annex chunks of an empire then make them a vassal after, it would just be nice to have a middle ground between liberation and annex. Create puppet, create buffer, establish protectorate. Something a non-extreme pacifist could physically do but at the cost of pissing off their pops.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

Can I just say that his next expansion looks rad as hell and I can't wait to play it?

However, on the subject of peaceful expansion in the late game, one feature that I loved and miss from Galactic Civilizations 2 was the Culture mechanic. Culture was tied into your borders, and planets could be flipped to your side purely by having the superior culture full of cool stuff. I think it would be really neat if planets would rebel against their nations and ask to become your vassal, inviting you into liberation wars, and then become integrated later on. Let us develop techs and buildings and starbases that pump out badass culture that other species want to get in on. It would give us a peaceful way to expand in the mid and late game without being the aggressor in a bunch of wars.

As neat as that was, I also found it incredibly silly. Though it was perfect for a game where ground invasions were fought with billions of people.

I think it could still work, but it would have to be tied to some kind of measurement of cultural vulnerability system to make sense. So xenophobic species would scoff at your superior culture, xenophiles would be more vulnerable then normal and the more different species you have in your empire, the more vulnerable it gets, too. Because the easier it is to accept something truly alien, the easier if would be to convince them of the idea that an alien culture could be superior.

Edit:

This way you get the neat side effect of culture-oriented races not being overwhelming in the early game: Just make sure even a xenophile race with 2-3 other species in their empire is still reasonably resilient and you'd never get some dumb effect where fanatic purifiers suddenly join you just because you're awesome.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 2, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

You can of course annex chunks of an empire then make them a vassal after, it would just be nice to have a middle ground between liberation and annex. Create puppet, create buffer, establish protectorate. Something a non-extreme pacifist could physically do but at the cost of pissing off their pops.

Improved Populations has a neat feature where if an ethos attached to the population becomes dominant it'll either try to take over the country and change the ethos via a coup or election or outright rebel and form a splinter state with a new AI personality and government type.

I've seen it work on everything from early game oppressive empires with aliens in it to even FE's having part of their populace get fed up with their poo poo and decide to just do their own thing and be part of the intergalactic community as a normal nation.

It'd be pretty good as an alternative. Instead of waging outright war you can just sanction the hell out of them and annihilate their capacity to keep the populace happy until they say the gently caress with it and switch to something a bit more open to diplomacy.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Serf posted:

I agree, will happily buy it on day one at this rate. Also agree with whoever complimented Wiz's hair, hope you tip that barber.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Allow me to explain the biggest problem with something like peaceful annexation of planets through culture: Everyone loves it when they're the one getting planets flipped to them... but when it's the other way around? Yeah, no, not so much.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Allow me to explain the biggest problem with something like peaceful annexation of planets through culture: Everyone loves it when they're the one getting planets flipped to them... but when it's the other way around? Yeah, no, not so much.

No one likes getting their planets invaded either, but it happens. It should be a thing that only happens with a huge big attractive empire versus some tiny little poo poo country with no chance. If you're already in that position as a player you've lost anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

No one likes getting their planets invaded either, but it happens. It should be a thing that only happens with a huge big attractive empire versus some tiny little poo poo country with no chance. If you're already in that position as a player you've lost anyways.

Why not have it be a modifier for diplomatic vassalization and annexation then? I also might not always want a planet that would flip to my control.

• Locked thread