Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gah, new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

Nah, someone shot a dart at Compress, preventing him from using his quirk.

Oh, that makes sense. I guess it is just something that fucks you up on contact (though likely a bit inferior to Shigaraki's quirk since I bet his might only affect living beings). Seems like it would be ineffective against someone like Todoroki if that's the case (though in exchange it would be super effective against close range fighters). The only thing that makes me doubt it only being effective against people is the fact that I think it can be used against clothing (or Magne's magnet iirc), though it could be transmitted through stuff in contact with their bodies.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow this chapter was brutal. :stare:

It's only a matter of time until one of the students also gets insta-killed, isn't it?

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 2, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Nice to see that there's still some competent villains around.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Jesus! Are those our first on-page deaths?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol "MY FRIEEEEEEEND *gibbed*"

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

JosephWongKS posted:

It's only a matter of time until one of the students also gets insta-killed, isn't it?

mirio vs explodey touch leading to the formers death?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also we finally saw what Shigaraki's quirk does to someone. And indeed he does not have to keep holding on to them. (And it's pretty gruesome what happens.)

Magne was the among the least interesting of the villains so I am not shocked to see him go down first. But I did not expect his death.

Liked how the cover was clearly based on a superhero comic.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 2, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Villain society really is running out of dudes. Other guy isn't wrong that his plan of getting powerful allies then throwing them away is pretty bad.

But holy poo poo that chapter was uncharacteristic of this comic overall which I think really sold how brutal it was. Sucks for the dude that gets introduced to immediately take one for leader.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

nice, i thought mr white mask dead guy was a clone or some poo poo but no he was just there to take a hit

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was that even a person that Shigaraki disintegrated? Looked like a Twice-esque clone of Overhaul.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Was that even a person that Shigaraki disintegrated? Looked like a Twice-esque clone of Overhaul.

All of them are wearing masks like his.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Overhaul's quirk isn't quite instant-death like Shigaraki's, since Compress only lost an arm. Still dangerous, obviously.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It looked like he needs to charge it do do more damage than blowing an arm off ... which is still a lot of damage.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It looked like he needs to charge it do do more damage than blowing an arm off ... which is still a lot of damage.

Maybe it's based on the damage done? Compress just smacked him and lost an arm for it, Magne drew him across the room for a big impact and lost his upper half for it. No idea why it works that way of course, but it's a theory.

EDIT: That would make him a human Impact Dial.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Darth Walrus posted:

Overhaul does say that both sides took a casualty.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

JosephWongKS posted:

:smithicide:

I hope not. Awesome chapter though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jesus christ

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I love that this took a real unexpected turn of the two groups having it out. Also seeing a lot of people in comments across other sites saying this had a HxH vibe for some reason.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

I love that this took a real unexpected turn of the two groups having it out. Also seeing a lot of people in comments across other sites saying this had a HxH vibe for some reason.

Ridiculous powers, goofy prop weapons, and rocket tag power levels? I can see it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kids and the school and the teachers. But I kinda wish this was just the adventures of Twice, young supervillian trying to find his place in a dangerous criminal organization.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Every Villain meet up must be some super tense poo poo when nobody knows what the other side of the room can do. Shig's team is still amateur hour.

What I want to know is if that quirk stopper dart is a product of someones quirk or something any of team bird could have on hand.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Regarding the recent chapter, I noticed something
When Magic Guy went to attack, it's a little hard to notice, but the intended sequence of events seemed to be touches arm > instantly brushed off > arm explodes. So in other words, the whole disintegration thing seems to happen whenever someone makes contact with him, so it's not a conventional activation quirk and explains why he only lost an arm while Magnes lost half his body.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Caidin posted:

team bird
c'mon son, they're plague doctor masks!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Wow, gently caress.

Good to see that despite being All For One's special snowflake prodigy apprentice or whatever, Shigaraki still gets made a fool of by every other bad guy he tries to work with. I believe these were the first two on-panel deaths of the series and they were rather Hunter x Hunter-esque in their suddenness and brutality. Hopefully now that the seal is broken Horikoshi doesn't get too murder-happy. Very curious where things will go from here. Glad he's moving the League's story along but didn't go back to the well again with yet another Class 1-A/League of Villains confrontation.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

c'mon son, they're plague doctor masks!

They're Yakuza, why are they dressed like plague docters!? And what does a name like overhaul have to do with anything about that guy other the how fast he can give something a new paintjob!?

The thematic cohesion is dropping like a stone with these punks.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well that was unexpected.

RIP Magne. Kind of disappointed it was him; between past stuff and this chapter featuring his friend it's pretty clear that he's meant to be queer and possibly trans (which makes his power that operates on a binary and one's gender... Hrm), so him being the one to get exploded... Well, at least the manga has had more than one example of LGBT characters (like Tiger), so it didn't just kill off the only one. And that was a hell of a way to go; it was so sudden and brutal, and the first time anything like this happened in the series, that I was waiting for the reveal of how Overhaul's quirk actually works and where all the exploded parts went for a while before finally realizing they actually just died. Also managed to be the first on-screen (non-Noumu) death, as far as I recall, so that's a milestone.

Also wow, Shigaraki annihilated that guy. That's a lot faster than I was expecting his quirk to work. The man he tagged was gibbed in seconds; I guess Aizawa nullified him almost immediately back as USJ, because at that rate anything more than a split-second would have resulted in him losing his arm or something.

And yeah, Overhaul's spot on with his analysis of the VA being kind of wasteful. Also a moron (or at least an egomaniac) though, walking in there and demanding fealty like that. I hope his comeuppance (since non-Shigaraki villains don't get to stick around too long generally) is in line with the new level of brutality we're getting, because he deserves a hard fall.

But, yeah. Things are clearly very different after this chapter. Wow.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Gotta say, I don't really like the shounen manga thing where someone gets a sad flashback right before they get ganked. It was partly why I liked the Twice chapter so much; because it spent the time and pages to set up his backstory and motivation as an interesting antagonist so we get attached to him going forwards in the story. And then there's this chapter where Magne kinda just ended up as cannon fodder.
I get why writers do it, but it still feels a little cheap when we feel something about a character for like two seconds and then welp nevermind.

On another note, Overhaul brings up some good points about the Villain Alliance losing some really good heavy-hitters due to mismanagement, and it makes me wonder about how he runs his own gang, seeing as one of his lackeys was ready to straight up die for him.

bondster
May 6, 2007

With what was set up this chapter I can see this as Shirageki getting those victories and rising in power without having ANOTHER battle with UA. It makes sense too, with All Might gone it is essentially lots of small villain groups rising up to power. Perfect opportunity for the Villain Alliance to establish credibility by absorbing/eliminating these groups.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Regardless of Overhaul's ego attacking him for disrespect was a really dumb move especially with villains since it's not like you can easily replace subordinates, especially when you are bleeding members already and the brains behind your operation is gone.

bondster posted:

With what was set up this chapter I can see this as Shirageki getting those victories and rising in power without having ANOTHER battle with UA. It makes sense too, with All Might gone it is essentially lots of small villain groups rising up to power. Perfect opportunity for the Villain Alliance to establish credibility by absorbing/eliminating these groups.

Yeah a concurrent plot that's basically the villains having a brutal underground war where whoever is left standing has been hardened to stand up to the heroes sounds pretty cool.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Gotta say, I don't really like the shounen manga thing where someone gets a sad flashback right before they get ganked. It was partly why I liked the Twice chapter so much; because it spent the time and pages to set up his backstory and motivation as an interesting antagonist so we get attached to him going forwards in the story. And then there's this chapter where Magne kinda just ended up as cannon fodder.
I get why writers do it, but it still feels a little cheap when we feel something about a character for like two seconds and then welp nevermind.

On another note, Overhaul brings up some good points about the Villain Alliance losing some really good heavy-hitters due to mismanagement, and it makes me wonder about how he runs his own gang, seeing as one of his lackeys was ready to straight up die for him.

We actually saw Magne meeting with his friend during Twice' chapter.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I love how the VA is genuinely surprised, that the plague doctor guy didn't come to join then. They've gotten by riding on Stain's/AfO's coattails, and it's made them think they're more important than they really are.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I hate that too, I was just thankful it was blissfully short and kind of a badass way to die.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Overhaul seems to be sweating a lot after just one exertion and the second was a lot weaker. Shigaraki's quirk seems to be completely effortless in comparison

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ChronoReverse posted:

Overhaul seems to be sweating a lot after just one exertion and the second was a lot weaker. Shigaraki's quirk seems to be completely effortless in comparison
He really doesn't seem to enjoy using his quirk either. It could be painful for him. I'm kinda liking the human impact dial theory in light of all this.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Oberhaul seems to have a fixation on cleanliness, given the plague doctor motif and his reaction to gibbing Magne. Which is actually pretty understandable on some level, but it presumably goes deeper and forms the basis of his worldview and villainy as well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want everyone to take a moment of silence for that subordinate of Overhaul's who gave his life to save his boss's life. Overhaul must be a solid dude to have people so willing to give their life for him.

I nominate Overhaul for next All Might. We need someone who can inspire that sort of loyalty in people.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ytlaya posted:

I want everyone to take a moment of silence for that subordinate of Overhaul's who gave his life to save his boss's life. Overhaul must be a solid dude to have people so willing to give their life for him.

I nominate Overhaul for next All Might. We need someone who can inspire that sort of loyalty in people.

It was implied that there might be some kind of clone or substitute quirk at work, so that dude who died may have been a lifeless creation.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
He sure was full of blood, for a substitute/clone.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Am I the only one whose first thought, when all the other plague doctor bros suddenly showed up, was "Enemy Stand detected!"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that's a dead guy there.

On a different topic, I feel bad for Twice. Dude's crazy and everything, and the VA basically represents the closest thing to friends/family he has. And bringing Overhaul here was his doing.

And then Overhaul killed Magne.

Guy's already not all there; feeling responsible for getting his friend killed is probably really going to do a number on him.