Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Do you have a decent number of Waze users in your area? I've had good luck with that app, it lets people in other cars nearby warn you of closures, construction, bad traffic, cops ahead, roadkill/animals on or near the street, accidents, etc. Depends on how many people in your area use it.

E: what a miserable start to the page, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Huntersoninski posted:

Do you have a decent number of Waze users in your area? I've had good luck with that app, it lets people in other cars nearby warn you of closures, construction, bad traffic, cops ahead, roadkill/animals on or near the street, accidents, etc. Depends on how many people in your area use it.

E: what a miserable start to the page, sorry

I'm curious where do you live that roadkill is a thing to get warned about? I'm from middle of nowhere Ohio so roadkill is just a fact of life. It's the same reason I was so confused when that dead raccoon went viral and had people leaving cards and flowers and poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I tried but the only thing it ever says is "the traffic in Pittsburgh is dreadful."

Well yeah I know that I just want to know if the drat road is open or not.

Google Maps re-routes you if a faster route is possible as you're traveling. I use it on every big road trip I take and sometimes I end up saving as much as an hour passing through a state when it notices a crash on the interstate and re-routes so that I can use local roads to bypass it.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Len posted:

I'm curious where do you live that roadkill is a thing to get warned about? I'm from middle of nowhere Ohio so roadkill is just a fact of life. It's the same reason I was so confused when that dead raccoon went viral and had people leaving cards and flowers and poo poo.

The last year of being from the Midwest is watching the rest of the country enjoy the novelty of things always being slightly lovely

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even without crashes, it can be faster to take the back roads during rush hour. That’s knowledge that used to only be available to seasoned locals, but with computer assistance, I can take advantage of back roads hundreds of miles from home.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 02:27 on Feb 2, 2017

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

This is why I like my XM radio in the car.

Did they ever fix that thing where if you were within 50 yards of a building more than four stories, it didn't work for poo poo? I haven't been in a car with it for a few years.

Platystemon posted:

Even without crashes, it can be faster to take the back roads during rush hour. That’s knowledge that used to only be available to seasoned locals, but with computer assistance, I can take advantage of back roads hundreds of miles from home.

I read an article about residents (I wanna say LA?) whose quiet side streets had become Google's default "there's traffic at this major intersection" diversion route, and how it was destroying their lives.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rough Lobster posted:

Whoa people in the UK call drunk driving "drink driving"?

As far as I know, basically everyone who speaks English besides North America does. Drunk driving implies that it's only the higher levels of intoxication that are dangerous, instead of any amount of alcohol being able to impair a driver

Len posted:

I'm assuming the mountains, deep south, or far north. A State Trooper can pull a dead deer to the side of the road, but something as large as a moose, a full grown boar, or a brown bear needs more muscle than fits in the average squad car

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Len posted:

Well sometimes out on small country highways it's good to know if there's a huge deer in the middle of the road ahead around a curve or over a hill. Like, poo poo that might get in the way, not an animal off to the side. I imagine in areas with bigger animals it might be a bigger possible obstruction.

Mostly if I get an animal related warning it's for live animals on/near the street, since those are generally more dangerous. But last I looked, roadkill was a possible warning in the app, so I mentioned it. That's all.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

walrusman posted:

I read an article about residents (I wanna say LA?) whose quiet side streets had become Google's default "there's traffic at this major intersection" diversion route, and how it was destroying their lives.
It probably was LA, and those people are whiny cunts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

John Big Booty posted:

It probably was LA, and those people are whiny cunts.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-california-commute-20150106-story.html

quote:

At 7:30 a.m. on a recent Monday, more than two dozen cars were backed up at a Sherman Oaks red light where a hilly, twisting residential street intersects with Mulholland Drive, blocking the driveways of more than a dozen houses. In less than an hour, more than 150 cars passed by, a direct result, residents say, of new navigation technologies

Won’t somebody think of the downtodden Sherman Oaks residents, whose homes might be worth slightly less than an average $873,200 now?

Truly the greatest injustice of our age.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ugh, this is so loving annoying. If kids have active engaged parents they're just as likely to go camping and build forts and get chased by bears as they were back in the day. There were kids that would sit by themselves inside all day reading comic books or playing games back then too.

The real question is "When you were a kid what did you do when your parents entirely ignored you?"

What a sappy pile of poo poo. "I wish we could go back to a more simple time when you had to struggle to find joy and polio could gently caress up your life. To hell with the ease and convenience of modern life, kids need to be threatened by bears to really know how to live."

Get hosed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-california-commute-20150106-story.html

Won’t somebody think of the downtodden Sherman Oaks residents, whose homes might be worth slightly less than an average $873,200 now?

Truly the greatest injustice of our age.

It seems like there was a legitimate issue in that traffic had been made so heavy in residential areas not designed for it that driveways started getting blocked. This seems to be more of a unique LA thing since the freeway infrastructure is so clogged and slow, so there's tons of cars to divert onto side streets.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

It seems like there was a legitimate issue in that traffic had been made so heavy in residential areas not designed for it that driveways started getting blocked. This seems to be more of a unique LA thing since the freeway infrastructure is so clogged and slow, so there's tons of cars to divert onto side streets.

That's a common problem in American cities overall. The infrastructure was just never designed to handle the volume of traffic we're seeing now.

Americans also hate mass transit because of a mix of :siren: MAH TAXES!!!! :siren: and not wanting to share a bus or subway car with those people.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm always annoyed when characters or items exist only to be fanservice for prospective buyers, especially when those characters are fine on their own. Like Aranea's boob armour or Cindy's cleavage in FF15, or the first other adventurer you meet in God Eater 2, who is wearing a top to small it shows prominent under-boob - none of the other female characters are drawn like that, they are dressed normally, like professionals. One is wearing a veil for no reason, which is fine, she may have one that hasn't been established yet, like she may be mourning someone who died in the same attack/accident that put her in a wheelchair. but on her and her sister, and even the Idol character, the clothes are reasonable. Same goes with Xenoblade Chronicles X - the better the armour the bigger the boob-window which is just embarrassing. Lim is 13 year old who fight with a shield that turns into a minigun - I don't like her as a person but that's due to her character flaws, giving her a boob window on later armours is just uncomfortable and unneccesary. Character Designers, you have proven that you can draw a woman who is wearing passable work clothes, what is it some Genie's Curse that for every 3 good designs you need to poo poo out Soul Caliber's Ivy as well?

God Eater's fun so far, don't try to pander...

And I'm counting this a a Marketing thing because a lot of the times those characters are prominently placed on the covers to sell the games, so you can tell whether a game is going to get embarrassing or not from the cover - God Eater doesn't do that so I thought it would behave. Don't bait and switch me, if I wanted cheesecake I would buy one of the titty covers in all the anime game aisles, don't give me it unsolicited.

I think I'm more annoyed with God Eater 2 than I otherwise would be because the cover is pretty cool, it's an anime girl wearing a skirt, certainly, but she's wielding a scythe in a reasonable battle stance while facing down a 100 storey tall Grim Reaper. That's badass, I bought the game for the promise of fighting that at some point.

The anime/anime game industry isn't marketing to you, they're marketing to easily exploited nerds who will throw away hundreds or thousands of dollars on blurays, limited edition merch, pillows, figurines, soundtracks, engagement rings, etc for whatever character they latch onto.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm not usually one to be all "I'M BOYCOTTING YOUR PRODUCTS!!1" because of advertising, but I watched that goddamn Nature Valley ad where the child actors say they spend hours a day sending emails and it makes the adults sad and it wholesale turned me off their entire brand.

Yeah, one of my personal boycotts was a certain toothpaste giant who did some ad with kids in a classroom answering questions in dialogue so unnatural it could have been part of the Moscow show trials. The cynicism of the whole thing from the dubbed over kids with perfect diction to the children's drawing logo with not a line out of place and the industrial combine pretending to save the world was too much and I've never bought that brand since.

Chop Sunni posted:

This brought back memories of a NZ drink-driving campaign 20 years back: a short film split into segments between the regular carpet-sales and other pre-movie ads at the local arthouse cinema. Its story ended with a bloody car crash resulting in the driver being blinded and possibly some deaths. It was brutal and horrifying and its only outcome was to thoroughly piss off the crowd and spoil everyone's night out. It was the proverbial mst3k riff-fest except instead of cheering people were screaming gently caress-off at the screen.The staff were apologising to people in the lobby afterwards and we never saw anything like it again.

The one where someone gets shunted onto a windscreen and her friend runs up screaming "Aggie... ...Aggie ...Aggie" is the one I think of. They used to run during primetime so little kid me got them heavily imprinted just from being near the TV in the evenings. Some of those 90s ones were really no holds barred, bordering on sadistic.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's a common problem in American cities overall. The infrastructure was just never designed to handle the volume of traffic we're seeing now.

Americans also hate mass transit because of a mix of :siren: MAH TAXES!!!! :siren: and not wanting to share a bus or subway car with those people.

Heh, it's not even sharing a bus with those people. The people against transit expansion aren't taking the bus. They literally believe brown people will take those buses and trains to the suburbs, rob us, and take the loot back on those trains.

My county is spending a buttload of money creating elaborate reversible toll lanes while at the same time building a brand new 500 million dollar ballpark. With all the construction and eminent domain it would have been stupid easy to slide in a light rail system to connect us to the metropolitan transit and ease stadium traffic. But nope. Here, have a couple of new lanes on one exit ramp which should totally make up for those extra 30k cars 80 nights a year.

The irony is the adjoining county embraced mass transit and their trains are packed full of happy White people every rush hour and their property values/development are beating everyone.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If you have search, I remember a bunch of public transit talk going on in this thread before it got permanently derailed about bike helmets.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

The irony is the adjoining county embraced mass transit and their trains are packed full of happy White people every rush hour and their property values/development are beating everyone.

Turns out good transport links are a selling point when it comes to where you want to live. Who could have guess that? your county sounds like it's run by idiots

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Heh, it's not even sharing a bus with those people. The people against transit expansion aren't taking the bus. They literally believe brown people will take those buses and trains to the suburbs, rob us, and take the loot back on those trains.

My county is spending a buttload of money creating elaborate reversible toll lanes while at the same time building a brand new 500 million dollar ballpark. With all the construction and eminent domain it would have been stupid easy to slide in a light rail system to connect us to the metropolitan transit and ease stadium traffic. But nope. Here, have a couple of new lanes on one exit ramp which should totally make up for those extra 30k cars 80 nights a year.

Cobb County, GA I presume.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Or Marin County, California. Same poo poo there.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Nimby County, home of Anytown, USA

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Cobb County, GA I presume.

DING DING DING DING!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Mu Zeta posted:

When I think about it the pork thing is really cultural just as much as anything to do with religion. I can't really justify why I think eating dog is so gross. Dog is probably delicious if raised a certain way and then roasted to perfection. But gently caress no I'm not eating dog.

Yeah. My dog is a fine piece of flesh. Lean, muscular, young, etc.

But, she tells me when someones here and she likes the last part of a burrito. If I'm sad, she puts her head on my knee. If I hurt, she licks where the cut or bruise is. She's pleasant and happy and I can play with her. She likes my daughters and wife and she's useful. Why eat her?

Pigs, however, are a thing that should get in my belly. I hate pigs.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Screw emotions, humans can create emotional bonds to virtually anything. The fact of the matter is that dogs are primarily carnivorous, which makes raising dogs for human consumption economically impractical. It takes a lot more energy to raise a dog to be ready for slaughter than it does for a pig, and pigs grow much, much larger than dogs can

Why do you think that there isn't mammalian carnivore meat available in grocery stores? Economics. Not nearly enough people are going to pay $15/lb for extremely tough meat to make feeding a carnivore for 2 years worthwhile

Most of the places that eat dog have much more relaxed standards for what qualifies a slaughtered animal to be able to be sold on the market, so they don't have to spend as much to raise them as people in America or the EU would

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Pre-European contact Hawaii had dogs raised for food, for want of any other large easily farmable livestock. Apparently they were short, fat and onery (I don't blame them), and the Hawaiians ditched them as soon as Europeans introduced anything bigger they could farm.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Google Maps re-routes you if a faster route is possible as you're traveling. I use it on every big road trip I take and sometimes I end up saving as much as an hour passing through a state when it notices a crash on the interstate and re-routes so that I can use local roads to bypass it.

Google bought Waze in 2013 and has been incorporating various elements of it in it's own mapping software. Both still maintain a degree of autonomy from each other and have their own active communities of editors (I'm one) that often work hand in hand with each other. Waze initially met with criticism from US law enforcement entities due to the way it "targets police for potential attack" (impacts revenue from ticketing) and there were departments demanding it be shut down, but this was back when it was incorporated in Israel so their answer was of course "lol no".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Red Bones posted:

Pre-European contact Hawaii had dogs raised for food, for want of any other large easily farmable livestock. Apparently they were short, fat and onery (I don't blame them), and the Hawaiians ditched them as soon as Europeans introduced anything bigger they could farm.

Dog meat was also relegated to the nobility for the most part, with the rest of the population using fowl and fish for protein.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There was a question on Quora asking how long it'd take for your pets to eat your slowly putrefying body.

By the time a dog got hungry enough you wouldn't be safe to eat. Cats will go right at it, but if they like you they'll at least spare your face.

Which makes me wonder why cat meat isn't more popular since we could justify eating them.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Door Frame posted:

Screw emotions, humans can create emotional bonds to virtually anything. The fact of the matter is that dogs are primarily carnivorous, which makes raising dogs for human consumption economically impractical. It takes a lot more energy to raise a dog to be ready for slaughter than it does for a pig, and pigs grow much, much larger than dogs can

Why do you think that there isn't mammalian carnivore meat available in grocery stores? Economics. Not nearly enough people are going to pay $15/lb for extremely tough meat to make feeding a carnivore for 2 years worthwhile

Dogs are a work animal. They have specific uses, and skills, while pigs are good for 3 things: tearing up fields, sniffing out truffles, and being eaten.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Kareem posted:

There was a question on Quora asking how long it'd take for your pets to eat your slowly putrefying body.

By the time a dog got hungry enough you wouldn't be safe to eat. Cats will go right at it, but if they like you they'll at least spare your face.

Which makes me wonder why cat meat isn't more popular since we could justify eating them.

Cats are also carnivores so they'd be expensive to feed on an industrial scale.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dogs are a work animal. They have specific uses, and skills, while pigs are good for 3 things: tearing up fields, sniffing out truffles, and being eaten.

But to be fair to pigs they are exceptionally good at all three of those things.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Johnny Aztec posted:

, sniffing out truffles,

From what I understand they don't even do that one anymore because it was too much work preventing them from eating the truffles first, whereas dogs can be trained and won't be interested in gobbling them up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nine of Eight posted:

From what I understand they don't even do that one anymore because it was too much work preventing them from eating the truffles first, whereas dogs can be trained and won't be interested in gobbling them up.

Wouldn't you be able to make some sort of open nosed muzzle for them?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Door Frame posted:

Most of the places that eat dog have much more relaxed standards for what qualifies a slaughtered animal to be able to be sold on the market, so they don't have to spend as much to raise them as people in America or the EU would

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBqhIVyfsRg

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Isn't that 20℅ of the population, what the gently caress? I thought Canadians were all tough lumberjacks or something

Food allergy can also mean "methinks bread makes me bloated".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Door Frame posted:

Screw emotions, humans can create emotional bonds to virtually anything.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
No, that's creating a bond to anything virtual.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

AlphaKretin posted:

If you have search, I remember a bunch of public transit talk going on in this thread before it got permanently derailed about bike helmets.

It's a long but good thread to read. He goes into why certain road designs suck and why you can't just add more lanes to ease traffic. Also has infamous poster Grover getting poo poo on for failing to understand things other than building codes for once.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

More here: https://imgur.com/gallery/2dF1J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Thanks for reminding me about that thread. I started reading it years ago but then just bookmarked it and forgot about it.