Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

It's specifically Giants fan hate I'm trying to highlight here, not general hate. I honestly really enjoy the rivalry, including its SAS incarnation. The fact that both teams are good right now and the rivalry exists raises the emotional stakes of the season.

I live in the Bay Area and somebody broke into my roommate's car for the sole purpose of stealing his Dodger hat. They left everything else, including his phone which he'd left in its dash mount.

It's quite the rivalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Berzerker posted:

Toronto Blue Jays
Oakland As
Seattle Mariners
Detroit Tigers

Those teams are enjoyable baseball teams imho

I agree with two of those, which is why I watch them.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Some day we will get a Dodgers-Giants NLCS and the state may burn itself to the ground before Game 7

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm sure people will disagree but the Red Sox Young Core are all pretty likeable and fun to watch.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

My finalists are the Mariners (I live in Seattle), Mets and los doyers.

Final decision Friday. Give me opinions

More Mariner musings (disclaimer: I am a Mariners homer):

- One of two teams left to never make it to the World Series (Nats / Expos being the other). If they make it, you can claim you were rooting for them before it was cool.
- In general, they have zero tolerance for reprehensible behavior of their players. See - Steve Clevenger getting axed after he called BLM activists savages. The Josh Lueke saga was gross however, and that was more Jack Z trying to save face on the fact that he didn't do a basic google search on the guy.
- Safeco Field is cool as heck as a place to watch games.
- Because of the recent success of the Seahawks, the Mariners have been playing second fiddle for a bit. This also has to do with the fact that fans guard their hearts closely after 2 really bad GMs. But the moment the team gets good, the city will awaken and rally around them. Having been around during '95 and '01, it was a sight to see home games packed with fans.
- Jerry Dipoto makes for really exciting offseasons. Also, he gives a lot of interviews and is very upfront about the type of players he wants. He also hates free agency with a giant passion.
- The team has new ownership, and they seem to be much less hands on than the previous regime.
- Our lone HoF player is the most iconic player in baseball history.
- The fans don't have an idiotic gimmick like the 12th Man that the Seahawks have.

Some bad stuff:
- The lack of playoffs has made pessimists of Seattle fans. It's not uncommon to go into a bar around Seattle and they won't have the Mariner game on. Ask to change the channel, and you'll sometimes get met with "what? So we can watch them lose?" (though I heard this about the Seahawks in the early 2000s too).
- This season, they're relying heavily on 2 rookies with no MLB proven record to perform - Mitch Haniger and Dan Vogelbach.
- No cool gimmick players this season (Dae Ho Lee was last year's cool player)
- Safeco field suppresses dingers.
- We lack a true "rival". If I had to pick, it would be between the A's and Angels, but I don't feel strongly for one over the other. MLB tried to cultivate a rivalry with the Padres for some dumb reason (on the basis that we share our spring training facility), but that hasn't worked.

Overall though, if you live in Seattle, and the Mariners get good, it will own. If they continue to be mediocre, you won't notice much change.

bawfuls posted:

It's specifically Giants fan hate I'm trying to highlight here, not general hate. I honestly really enjoy the rivalry, including its SAS incarnation. The fact that both teams are good right now and the rivalry exists raises the emotional stakes of the season.

Yeah, a good rivalry owns. Seahawks / 49ers was awesome until the 49ers blew themselves up.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 2, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm sure people will disagree but the Red Sox Young Core are all pretty likeable and fun to watch.

Personally I think the "dancing in the outfield" thing they do is incredibly lame, but that's just me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

seiferguy posted:

We lack a true "rival". If I had to pick, it would be between the A's and Angels, but I don't feel strongly for one over the other. MLB tried to cultivate a rivalry with the Padres for some dumb reason (on the basis that we share our spring training facility), but that hasn't worked.

I think a huge part of that is that there's no other team for hundreds of miles of us.

Though a friendly rivalry with the Blue Jays could be cool, since SafeCo is always packed with Jays fans and the Jays have so many ex-Mariners right now.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

If you gotta follow an L.A. team for some reason then root for the Angels.

:twisted:

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
There are at least two goons with Mariners 20 game season tickets too - Some Numbers and myself. I'll leave it up to you if that belongs in the pro or con column. Either way we should organize a fun outing sometime this season - I just started a new job downtown which will make it dangerously easy to make it to the pen in time for the happy hour that runs until an hour before first pitch.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

If you gotta follow an L.A. team for some reason then root for the Angels.

:twisted:
More Giants fans lobbing bombs, see how fun this is??

(Also where did your avatar go? Your posts don't elicit the same visceral reaction that they used to for me)

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

tadashi posted:

Dan Vogelbach - The Hefty Lefty

I'm sorry this has been owned by Jared Lorenzen for almost two decades now.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Cheers for the Nats. There aren't very many Nats fans here and Max Scherzer and Bryce Harper are cool. Well, bye.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

seiferguy posted:

More Mariner musings (disclaimer: I am a Mariners homer):

- Because of the recent success of the Seahawks, the Mariners have been playing second fiddle for a bit. This also has to do with the fact that fans guard their hearts closely after 2 really bad GMs. But the moment the team gets good, the city will awaken and rally around them. Having been around during '95 and '01, it was a sight to see home games packed with fans.
- Jerry Dipoto ... hates free agency with a giant passion.

"City only cares about team when they are good" and "hates workers rights to be paid fairly" are bad though?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

IMB posted:

God that game was so loving sick.

I took video of the final batter from my seat. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-HqTDjwtvg

Also the Cubs' ring ceremony is going to be when the Dodgers are in town.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So is Jason Hammel just never going to be employed again? Crazy to me that he's gotten no real interest and we are less than 2 weeks until ST.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Nards Pan posted:

There are at least two goons with Mariners 20 game season tickets too - Some Numbers and myself. I'll leave it up to you if that belongs in the pro or con column. Either way we should organize a fun outing sometime this season - I just started a new job downtown which will make it dangerously easy to make it to the pen in time for the happy hour that runs until an hour before first pitch.

I work just north of Pacific Place, so it'll be quite easy for me to get to games right after work.

On the other hand, most of my tickets are to Friday games and I have Fridays off.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Mets: They're cool
Mariners: They're cool
Dodgers: gently caress 'em

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

FlamingLiberal posted:

So is Jason Hammel just never going to be employed again? Crazy to me that he's gotten no real interest and we are less than 2 weeks until ST.

It turns out that the dearth of pitching talent didn't effect teams as strongly as we thought it would. Since everyone expected the lack of talent, all the competitive teams signed or traded for pitching before this offseason.

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the rumors that he was looking for more than $12MM AAV have probably cost him more active interest. He's going to be 35, he's hovered around 160-170IP a year, and his peak, which has been arguably since he was with Baltimore, has netted him an 102 ERA+ over the last 5 years. It's not that those things are bad, but they don't guarantee a big contract or a ton of interest.

He'll be on a roster eventually, it's just a question of when and how much.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Andrew Benintendi's name is fun to say, and Mookie Betts is exceedingly handsome, but

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Mets: They're cool

this is the way to go.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

More Giants fans lobbing bombs, see how fun this is??

(Also where did your avatar go? Your posts don't elicit the same visceral reaction that they used to for me)

I toxxed for Hillary and got owned. Guess I need a new Giants av though, has Cueto posted any cool pics on his instagram lately?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I guess I'll also go to bat for the Phillies since nobody else has.

They've got a nice young core of talent, decent farm system, and appear to be on the upswing. You can watch plenty of games against the Marlins, get to see pitchers hit, and get to listen to (imo) the best radio duo in baseball. They may not have the encyclopedic knowledge and grandfatherly charm of Vin, but Larry Andersen and Scott Franzke have a hilarious dynamic - give just the right mix of info and analysis, play-by-play, and ridiculous jokes and anecdotes during particularly grim games. Larry has no problem yelling and screaming at umpires when he thinks they're wrong, occasionally leaning out of the booth to actually yell at them, and apparently getting in hot water with the team and/or league a few times a year.

Come join me cheering on Odubel Herrara bat flipping after walks! Come see if Vince Velasquez or Aaron Nola can turn into an ace this season! Watch east coast games at 4 and then tune into the Mariners right afterwards! Bring your laptop to the bar so you can stream Phillies extras while still catching the first pitch of the M's game!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

What on earth https://www.instagram.com/p/BMhL8p3BmXs/?taken-by=johnnycueto47

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chief McHeath posted:

"City only cares about team when they are good" and "hates workers rights to be paid fairly" are bad though?

No idea why I'm responding to a banned poster, but it's not so much paying workers fairly, but that he doesn't believe teams should be built around free agency. He prefers the trade route. Many GMs agree with the idea of not building a team through free agency, but rather to augment teams using it. For the record, the Mariners have 2 highly paid FAs in Nelson Cruz and Robinson Cano (and internally, Felix and Kyle Seager have gotten some fancy extensions), so it's not as if they aren't paying players what they're worth like the way the Marlins do it - though it's fair to point out Jack Z did these deals, and not Jerry.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I toxxed for Hillary and got owned. Guess I need a new Giants av though, has Cueto posted any cool pics on his instagram lately?
Literally his most recent instagram post makes a great avatar. He made it his avatar in fact. But you should go with one that includes a donkey or horse as well, like this one: https://www.instagram.com/p/BNuoAanBz0b/

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I want a Mets and/or Marlins av, but I'm entirely too indecisive to design & formally request one. :smith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

3DHouseofBeef posted:

I think the rumors that he was looking for more than $12MM AAV have probably cost him more active interest. He's going to be 35, he's hovered around 160-170IP a year, and his peak, which has been arguably since he was with Baltimore, has netted him an 102 ERA+ over the last 5 years. It's not that those things are bad, but they don't guarantee a big contract or a ton of interest.

He also once again faded hard down the stretch, missed his final regular season start with "elbow soreness", didn't pitch a single post season inning for the Cubs even out of the pen, and the Cubs declined to pick up his very reasonable team option despite not having anybody else locked in for the 5th starter spot. The rumor is a lot of teams are convinced there's more to Hammel's injury than he's letting on and the Cubs - whose medical staff would best equipped to realize that - didn't pick him up as a result. That he's rumored to want a multi year contract at $12MM+ AAV is the final nail in the coffin on that. Presumably he'll end up taking a one year rebuilding deal and hope to do well enough to either get flipped at the deadline to a competing team or at least shake off the injury concerns and set himself up for a decent contract next off season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Aw, I was hoping he got another horse that doesn't know how to walk.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sort of outside the realm of regular baseball books but can anyone here recommend any good reads on the mental game of playing baseball? I've been curious about the theory behind having a strong mental approach towards playing and theory/practical applications to improve an often overlooked element.

I realize there are probably a lot of bad "The Secret" level books out there regarding this subject so any guidance on well respected authors or books is appreciated.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Your Taint posted:

There are very, very few people who have not looked like a complete dipshit while wearing a bowtie.

Carlos Martinez is not one of them.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It's not particularly hard to wear a bow tie if you have a general grasp of fashion principles, which most goons tend not to.

For the record, John Mozeliak does not.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mike_V posted:

It's not particularly hard to wear a bow tie if you have a general grasp of fashion principles, which most goons tend not to.

For the record, John Mozeliak does not.

Unless you're wearing a tuxedo, don't wear a bowtie. tia

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Sydin posted:

and the Cubs declined to pick up his very reasonable team option despite not having anybody else locked in for the 5th starter spot. The rumor is a lot of teams are convinced there's more to Hammel's injury than he's letting on and the Cubs - whose medical staff would best equipped to realize that - didn't pick him up as a result.
Didn't the cubs and Hammel mutually agree before the off season that they wouldn't pick it up so he could test FA? Seems like he wouldn't want to do that if he knew he was hurt bad

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Didn't the cubs and Hammel mutually agree before the off season that they wouldn't pick it up so he could test FA? Seems like he wouldn't want to do that if he knew he was hurt bad

They made that agreement before he signed his deal prior to the 2016 season. The deal was that he'd sign and come back to Chicago, but if the Cubs didn't feel he'd be a part of the team in 2017, then they'd cut him loose rather than picking up his option and trying to trade him.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 3, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

They did yes, but apparently other clubs aren't buying it. You'd think it could be cleared up by inviting the guy in for a physical but who knows. The Brisbee article linked earlier is also good and makes the point that mediocre starting pitchers who expected to get paid this off season didn't.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Sort of outside the realm of regular baseball books but can anyone here recommend any good reads on the mental game of playing baseball? I've been curious about the theory behind having a strong mental approach towards playing and theory/practical applications to improve an often overlooked element.

I realize there are probably a lot of bad "The Secret" level books out there regarding this subject so any guidance on well respected authors or books is appreciated.

The closest I've read to something like this is probably Pitch by Pitch, which along with being a Bob Gibson memoir goes through a lot of his specific thinking in at-bats during the 1968 WS Game 1 when he struck out 17. You're welcome to borrow my copy, but I'm posting in the thread rather than sending a PM so other people think of reading it too.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'd be willing to take a flier again on a 1-year deal, but he probably wouldn't sign.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The 40 man roster is also already full so I doubt we're going to extend him an offer. The only real candidates for removal would be the four people most recently added to protect from Rule 5 sniping, so very unlikely (Leathersich, Underwood, Caratini, and Hanneman), or a handful of young pitching prospects (Pena, Rollins, Rosario). Nobody else would even be a thought.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Your Taint posted:

I'd be willing to take a flier again on a 1-year deal, but he probably wouldn't sign.

I doubt he gets multiple years at this point, so he's gonna probably have to take a 1 year deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/827317375590604802

V: I am not sure that the anger this will cause among Giants fans is worth the disappointment of taking on yet another washed up Giant. Think I'd prefer Blanton.

• Locked thread