Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yeah FB stock just jumped up so I think the market expected much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

$200M of it comes from Luckey and Iribe directly, which I found interesting.

That's pretty funny to me, Luckey has the cash for Hillary Billboards so I'm sure he'll appreciate this too. Consider it a charlatan tax.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zero VGS posted:

That's pretty funny to me, Luckey has the cash for Hillary Billboards so I'm sure he'll appreciate this too. Consider it a charlatan tax.

Brendan gives a fuckton of money to charity, so that's probably at least $20M that went to Zenimax instead of a school. Alas.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
After the nimblerichman crap and Luckey talking big during the disaster of the Rift launch, somehow it seems most fitting that the lessons are that Palmer Luckey did not know when to shut the gently caress up.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I wonder what his contract is like. They must be tempted to try and fire him. I'd wager his 'expertise' has been vastly supplanted by this point.

I mean kudos to the guy though for getting really rich really fast.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Subjunctive posted:

A Pepe tax if you will.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Zenimax won't be celebrating when Palmer sends 50 million racist memes to their office.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
So I'm planning on picking up a Vive with my tax return money. I'm already planning on buying Onward, Space Pirate Trainer and H3VR. Anyone have other must have buys for the Vive?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Subjunctive posted:

It makes sense. The jury ruled that Oculus did not infringe on trade secrets, but that Luckey and Iribe broke an NDA. It sounds like more punishment against them than against Oculus/Facebook.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

TomR posted:

This is super cool. A Vive and Hololens working together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPYb2IsZL68

Oh hey there metaverse. Imagine like a VR street plastered with 3d cameras/tracking whatevers so people can turn up with their portable hmds and do whatever in a public virtual/real space. People are gonna do some crazy stuff with this tech

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 2, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol holy poo poo that verdict

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
There's already talk of zenimax going to attempt to stop oculus sales lmfao

Get hosed luckey

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

So now that the trial is over and they don't have to pretend that Palmer Luckey is actually useful to the company anymore, they're gonna throw him in a dumpster right?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

homeless snail posted:

So now that the trial is over and they don't have to pretend that Palmer Luckey is actually useful to the company anymore, they're gonna throw him in a dumpster right?

I thought they already did?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

I thought they already did?

Unfortunately they said they were going to find a new place for him at Oculus instead of quietly forgetting he existed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

Unfortunately they said they were going to find a new place for him at Oculus instead of quietly forgetting he existed.

Ah, the "promote out of the way" approach. He'll get a nice office and paycheque somewhere with no real responsibilities, which is about the same thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh man, VR needs this.

http://www.osa.org/en-us/about_osa/newsroom/news_releases/2017/novel_liquid_crystal_could_triple_sharpness_of_tod/

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There's already talk of zenimax going to attempt to stop oculus sales lmfao

Get hosed luckey

Is there any actual evidence for this, or does "talk" mean nerds speculating wildly on reddit?

Edit: In this case it looks like Zenimax actually has said they're considering it, so ouch.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Racket: Nx early access is out, it adds multiplayer - http://store.steampowered.com/app/428080/

I tried the demo for this and it plays really nice, definitely worth a try.

If the actual game concept is as good as the visuals/audio/mechanics, it seems like it should be awesome. They mention trying to make it an esport, I could imagine that if they really have a fun game concept to go with the polish. I might end up buying this.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Stick100 posted:

Disliked
Adrift
Nick
Dues Ex VR Experience

What's wrong with Deus Ex experience? (Other then it just being an experience.)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bremen posted:

Is there any actual evidence for this, or does "talk" mean nerds speculating wildly on reddit?

Edit: In this case it looks like Zenimax actually has said they're considering it, so ouch.

Good luck with that, considering the jury verdict was that Oculus didn't take trade secrets but only that Luckey broke NDA. It's good posturing to try and get a better settlement out of it when Oculus takes an appeal, though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The Grey posted:

That and Nick are both completely free so I mean no harm in trying them anyway.

homeless snail posted:

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, they're going to put him in the dumpster inside Oculus. It's like the trash compactor in the Death Star.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This whole thing is so loving stupid lmao

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It looks as though half of that judgement was because Oculus was advertising Doom 3 support in the earlier days in order to increase mind share. I would bet the actual amounts owed will be reduced on appeal. The jury finding Oculus not guilty of stealing trade secrets is a massive blow to Zenimax's case.

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Nalin posted:

Was that the game where your hands were in the box? poo poo, if I had known you were a goon, we would have accepted the invitation to try the 2p mode. It looked fun as gently caress. I wish you guys consider a PC VR release in the future somehow. Not sure exactly how you would do that, though, as I don't think the Xbox One controller has a gyroscope in it.
Yeah, the first prototype we did was only using the tilt/gyro running on PC, and had animations drive the positioning instead of actually tracking the gamepad. It didn't feel too bad so it might be kinda possible to do something for vive/oculus if you use a steam controller or a dualshock4; but I dunno if there's enough overlap with people who has those and also a VR headset to make back the cost for a straight up port.

haveblue posted:

Do the PC controllers do positional tracking? I thought Oculus shipped with a stock Xbox pad. And the game wouldn't work with independent one-hand Vive or Touch controls.
Goon please leak me a Statik release date, I've been excited about it forever :unsmith:

We haven't nailed an exact date yet, but it will be out before the summer, "Spring 2017" is the official word. All of the game is "there" and completeable and not terribly buggy, so in my biased opinion it's coming along quite well, but we need to squeeze in a whole bunch of puzzle tweaks, polish and optimization before it's ready :)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tibbeh posted:

So I'm planning on picking up a Vive with my tax return money. I'm already planning on buying Onward, Space Pirate Trainer and H3VR. Anyone have other must have buys for the Vive?

You seem to like shooty games.

Serious sam VR First Encounter is a very good shooty game.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Jeeze, didn't realize how fast this thread has traveled since I last checked in.

Still working on V, still never have enough time or energy for VR. drat adulting sucks sometimes.

Working on polishing some stuff with the new version of V so keep an eye out for an update. Right now alongside the new features, we are also trying to squash as many bugs and compatibility issues as possible. (Odd inability to start V in Windows 10 for some users, The Controller Input (usually Dive Now) In Elite, crash on quit VR game, etc).

Outside of that, we are close with Netflix DRM/Amazon Streaming DRM support, Touch, OpenGL, etc. Just trying to get it all in, and working smoothly before we release. No official release date but I can say Soon(TM).

Also how good is VorpX now from those of you who have it? I have been eyeing it for a while for games like Skyrim and Doom (now don't need it for the Doom BFG VR Mod at least) for use on the Omni, but I also haven't used the Omni much currently not only due to time, but the drat cable just makes physically turning more than 2-3 times in one direction not fun since the cable no mater where I put it or hang it from, just coils up and pulls on the headset, or tries to hang me. That Wireless tech is an instant buy as soon as it is available after seeing the CES stuff. Once the wire is taken care of I can see myself getting lost on the Omni until I get tired as that cable is the only thing keeping me from really enjoying VR in any form since it directly reminds you that you are one step away from a nice headjerk from reality. Ugh.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
John Carmack posted some words about the court ruling on Facebook. I guess he had issue with one of the expert witnesses Zenimax produced.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1913546895546485&id=100006735798590

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Grey posted:

Bad locomotion, and it's just some rooms I'd say it's not really worth the time/bandwidth to download.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tibbeh posted:

I'd say there are no must have buys right now. Get the headset try some free stuff/demos (Lab, Rec Room, Gorn come to mind first) before spending. Those are all great games but you might find you only care about social VR, or hate social VR.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hotdogs horsehose and hand grenades is still my fav game

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Stick100 posted:

I'd say there are no must have buys right now. Get the headset try some free stuff/demos (Lab, Rec Room, Gorn come to mind first) before spending. Those are all great games but you might find you only care about social VR, or hate social VR.

It's true, I've been having enough fun with Rec Room, War Thunder, Gorn, BigScreen, and Herobound, all free, than with any paid stuff. One of the few things I've bought is Thumper because that's very unique.

I have $100 Oculus credit myself and have no idea what to spend it on, but it's good for a year so I guess I'll hold on to it and see what comes out during the sales? The closest thing to "man, I have to buy that" would have been Robo Recall because of how polished it looks, and that's free, so I'm stumped.

Speaking of free poo poo, there's a free beta for some new game on the Oculus store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1153411508112697/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t06opok9Uug

At first I thought it was an RTS and was bummed, but it's actually a 2v2 twinstick shooter (!)

Gonna try that as soon as I'm home.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Destinations is pretty much a multiplayer The Lab and Tiltbrush now. They added a lot of tools to play around with, like a 3D paintbrush and a remote control drone. You can have drone duels! Managed to get mine stuck in a rope tho.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

It's true, I've been having enough fun with Rec Room, War Thunder, Gorn, BigScreen, and Herobound, all free, than with any paid stuff. One of the few things I've bought is Thumper because that's very unique.

I have $100 Oculus credit myself and have no idea what to spend it on, but it's good for a year so I guess I'll hold on to it and see what comes out during the sales? The closest thing to "man, I have to buy that" would have been Robo Recall because of how polished it looks, and that's free, so I'm stumped.

*desperately sprints into thread, stumbling and falling awkwardly* have you considered buying The Unspoken, it's a very good and cool wizard game

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

*desperately sprints into thread, stumbling and falling awkwardly* have you considered buying The Unspoken, it's a very good and cool wizard game

Well, for me, that is another free game. I played a few multiplayer matches but got distracted by other games before it sunk it's fangs in me.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

What's the player pop like now? I don't have time to VR much at the mo.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
holy poo poo im literally siting infront of my virtual campfire moving windows arkund and typing this with touch

the future is hers and im that fat guy permanently stuck in vr

i havent figured out the shift key sorry

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
My coworker brought his Vive setup into the office this week and has been letting everyone take a spin, and I think I'm pretty set on picking one up now. Space Pirate Trainer is pretty sweet. PipeJob is amazing(ly gross but addicting).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

What's the player pop like now? I don't have time to VR much at the mo.

It's unfortunately not great, but you can usually find a game pretty much at any time still as long as you're in roughly the average skill bracket I think. You'll be hitting a lot of the same people, though. Anywhere from like 10-50 normally that I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nalin posted:

John Carmack posted some words about the court ruling on Facebook. I guess he had issue with one of the expert witnesses Zenimax produced.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1913546895546485&id=100006735798590
Zenimax's response, "eat poo poo Carmack":

quote:

In addition to expert testimony finding both literal and non-literal copying, Oculus programmers themselves admitted using ZeniMax’s copyrighted code (one saying he cut and pasted it into the Oculus SDK), and Brendan Iribe, in writing, requested a license for the “source code shared by Carmack” they needed for the Oculus Rift. Not surprisingly, the jury found ZeniMax code copyrights were infringed. The Oculus Rift was built on a foundation of ZeniMax technology.

As for the denial of wiping, the Court’s independent expert found 92% of Carmack’s hard drive was wiped—all data was permanently destroyed, right after Carmack got notice of the lawsuit, and that his affidavit denying the wiping was false.