Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

the real problem (according to a cursory glance at a few wikipedia pages and maybe thirty seconds of research) is that he dropped out two months before the election, and the party didn't have a real plan B ready to go because they'd spent the entire year clearing the field for him, so they had to start a fresh campaign with no money and no name recognition for a nobody whose only electoral experience was running unopposed for a state House seat

well, yeah. i mean, if a candidate drops out 2 months before the election, there's no way to win. nobody has a plan B for a candidate dropping out that close to election day. and montana's bench is so small (because it's a small, red state) that you don't need to clear the field for a candidate. the field is naturally empty unless you recruit someone for it.

it was a pretty hosed up position, but i'd say the responsibility pretty much lays entirely on walsh. hell, he shouldn't have even dropped out. the "scandal" was some weak plagiarism poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I can't believe Bernie would support good issues and fight against bad ones.

While remaining untainted by lobbyist and wealthy donor money

What a piece of poo poo

Yeah, I don't get the support for the Mitch McConnel nihilist "oppose everything" strategy. It might make you feel good but the Dem party is based on the idea that government can actually do good things. If you go ahead with opposing policies even if they're ideologically acceptable purely on the basis of obstructionism you're just playing into the GOP argument that government is broken and incompetent.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah, I don't get the support for the Mitch McConnel nihilist "oppose everything" strategy. It might make you feel good but the Dem party is based on the idea that government can actually do good things. If you go ahead with opposing policies even if they're ideologically acceptable purely on the basis of obstructionism you're just playing into the GOP argument that government is broken and incompetent.

huh, it's almost as if Bernie is an independent who sees the middle on some things that are actually good instead of pearl-clutching about ideology and standards like a bunch of pedantic neolibs who are desperately trying to play gotcha mindgames instead of looking at the real issues and still haven't figured out why Hillary lost~ (it's exactly this)

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
1. dems should oppose everything gop does and be obstructionist as hell and refuse to work with them, and vote against everything

2. except if it's bernie. he's cool

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Concerned Citizen posted:

1. dems should oppose everything gop does and be obstructionist as hell and refuse to work with them, and vote against everything

wowahweewah what a bad post

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
like bernie is actually right, and we should take free wins from the gop if they want to give them to us. but lol @ people like tbs who spammed "DEMS NEED TO HAVE BALLS" suddenly saying "but actually it's cool to cooperate on some stuff."

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

LmaoTheKid posted:

wowahweewah what a bad post

It's CC, that's his entire spiel.

Well that and pretending he's led democrats to incredible victories nationwide

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
It's a little too easy sometimes :grin:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

I think #1 is loving stupid too, oppose bad policy and support good policy. Stop the sports team bullshit of changing positions on the same policies depending on who has a D or and R after their name.

Mainly it has been the GOP doing this since I have become politically active but I don't think it's any better when the Dems do it.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Feb 2, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

It's CC, that's his entire spiel.

Well that and pretending he's led democrats to incredible victories nationwide

lol @ u being unable to explain away your crippling cognitive dissonance

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

You don't know poo poo lol

Well, besides "centrism is always the answer"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

like bernie is actually right, and we should take free wins from the gop if they want to give them to us. but lol @ people like tbs who spammed "DEMS NEED TO HAVE BALLS" suddenly saying "but actually it's cool to cooperate on some stuff."

can you enumerate in which posts people were excoriating the Democrats for not going along with objectively good things which the Republicans are doing, rather than excoriating them for knuckling under on horrible poo poo

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
That's exactly right

Bernie is cool~

join the cult already, you're just being tsundere about it gosh :rolleyes:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

You don't know poo poo lol

lol you still can't

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

hillary would never have even heard about citizens united if bernie hadn't made it an issue

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
You know, I was worried that Trump would be a figurehead while Pence was the shadow president and actually ran everything. Two weeks in and I already wish that's what was really happening instead of shadow president Bannon.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't mean to break up your slapfight, you two, but: it's only cognitive dissonance if you can give me an example of an actual good thing Republicans have done in the last two weeks which people got mad at Democrats for not stopping

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

This post, is a very, very, very bad post.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

MaxxBot posted:

well, i am an anarchist

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

I think #1 is loving stupid too, oppose bad policy and support good policy. Stop the sports team bullshit of changing positions on the same policies depending on who has a D or and R after their name.

Mainly it has been the GOP doing this since I have become politically active but I don't think it's any better when the Dems do it.

what if a party has good policies and bad policies, and they use the support and seats they gain from having successful good policies to diminish people's ability to fight against their bad policies?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Here let me help Bernie has earned "political capital" by being right and good for a long time that bad dems don't have. So people trust him to only compromise if it's actually good.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

loquacius posted:

I don't mean to break up your slapfight, you two, but: it's only cognitive dissonance if you can give me an example of an actual good thing Republicans have done in the last two weeks which people got mad at Democrats for not stopping

*in a very silicon valley neolib voice*
Doubling the hb1 minimum wage

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mormonpartyboat posted:

hillary would never have even heard about citizens united if bernie hadn't made it an issue

she wouldn't have cared either~

"Now back to the issues th-that I was..I was talking about."

Aw peanuts, this is a thinly veiled primary chat, abort abort. :yikes:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lastgirl posted:

she wouldn't have cared either~

"Now back to the issues th-that I was..I was talking about."

Hissssssssssssssssssssss

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

loquacius posted:

can you enumerate in which posts people were excoriating the Democrats for not going along with objectively good things which the Republicans are doing, rather than excoriating them for knuckling under on horrible poo poo

it's more that tbs and others itt have advocated for the political strategy of being like mcconnell and making government work like poo poo in order to undermine trump, like the republicans did to obama. which is a mutually exclusive strategy to handing trump major agenda victories on trade and infrastructure. trump does not have very many legislative items, so that's like half his agenda right there. that's the opposite of obstructionist. you either go scorched earth or you don't.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

Yeah exactly. What the gently caress are people talking about cooperating on things that are good? What single issue are Republicans anything but "extremely loving awful on"? How does voting for a bill or appointment that is geared towards destroying the government promote the functioning of government?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

uh a bunch of bad dems were very upset about Trump promising to let the TPP die

I think that's the single issue (trade) that there might be legitimate division even within the Democrats on

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

it's more that tbs and others itt have advocated for the political strategy of being like mcconnell and making government work like poo poo in order to undermine trump, like the republicans did to obama. which is a mutually exclusive strategy to handing trump major agenda victories on trade and infrastructure. trump does not have very many legislative items, so that's like half his agenda right there. that's the opposite of obstructionist. you either go scorched earth or you don't.

Any posts saying that were probably operating under the extremely reasonable assumption that Donald Trump's Congress will attempt to do exactly zero positive things and use every possible millisecond to accomplish their policy goals of war, inequality, and bigotry

Honestly even if Trump does propose an infrastructure bill it'll probably be "a bunch of new toll highways, to be built by Trump Construction Co using taxpayer dollars" or "a Napa-Valley-style wine train around Manhattan, LUXURIOUS, $150 a ticket" or something

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Fullhouse posted:

I think that's the single issue (trade) that there might be legitimate division even within the Democrats on

trade is something that needs negotiation and discussion but protectionism is isolationism and isolationism is death

hail death

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I will say that Trump and Bernie do have very similar goals on trade, to the extent that I distinctly remember a potential Trump cabinet drawn up by Trump fans last year or thereabouts floating Bernie as an across-the-aisle pick for international trade czar

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

I will say that Trump and Bernie do have very similar goals on trade, to the extent that I distinctly remember a potential Trump cabinet drawn up by Trump fans last year or thereabouts floating Bernie as an across-the-aisle pick for international trade czar
this was from the halcyon days before he had an actual nazi writing everything he said and campaigned for

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

loquacius posted:

is it one of those things where they just pick the most conservative semi-celebrity they can think of

like sarah palin, secretary of the interior

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

loquacius posted:

Any posts saying that were probably operating under the extremely reasonable assumption that Donald Trump's Congress will attempt to do exactly zero positive things and use every possible millisecond to accomplish their policy goals of war, inequality, and bigotry

Honestly even if Trump does propose an infrastructure bill it'll probably be "a bunch of new toll highways, to be built by Trump Construction Co using taxpayer dollars" or "a Napa-Valley-style wine train around Manhattan, LUXURIOUS, $150 a ticket" or something

Right, which Bernie won't budge on because it's not addressing the actual underlying issue to fixing decaying infrastructure.

Even CC knows this, he's just playing devil's advocate as his shtick entails, making you post at length about how it's not actually as such.

The votes that could've gone to Hillary went to Trump for this hope that they'd get jobs and infrastructures up and running vs foreign policy wonk and "your coal jobs are not coming back I'm sorry".

The rurals ares the real losers here regardless if you want to play your mind game of who's right and coulda, shoulda, woulda so gently caress off imo

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
allen west, secretary of defense

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

logikv9 posted:

allen west, secretary of defense

sean spicer, secretary of defensiveness

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
If accelerationism is the hard lesson to learn from all of this for new blood democrats should we come out of this alive the next 4 years, so be it

inshallah

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
ben carson, secretary of grain

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
ben carson, also the deputy secretary of brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
His brain, on the grain.

I wouldn't mind seeing pyramids erected past high ways, could do a lot to spice up the flat nothingness of rural america

Grain silos and construction work, now that's two birds with one stone~

• Locked thread