Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Playing Hotline Miami without a mouse and keyboard violates the Geneva convention's rules on cruel and unusual punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

poo poo, I didn't factor in how bad I am with DS4's thumbsticks.

I know the game is brutal hard, I might just wait until it drops in price. I've got enough games to play through summer. Same goes for RE7.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Beastie posted:

I never got to play Hotline Miami. Should I just jump straight into 2 or are there not any gameplay differences between 2 and 1?

1 is cheaper.

2 is divisive largely because it basically picks up in difficulty from where 1 left off, so absolutely start with 1. The story of 2 is also very hit or miss with some people (personally I thought it was alright), while 1's story is kept very minimal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only bad part of TLG is the load screen animation, where you see all those historical pictures of imposing, terrifying legendary beasts drift by and then a picture of a Trico that looks like a third grader drew his dog and added horns and chicken legs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Playing Hotline Miami without a mouse and keyboard violates the Geneva convention's rules on cruel and unusual punishment.

Yeah I loved one on PC but 2 was a loving nightmare on PS4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beastie posted:

poo poo, I didn't factor in how bad I am with DS4's thumbsticks.

I know the game is brutal hard, I might just wait until it drops in price. I've got enough games to play through summer. Same goes for RE7.

Consider looking up putting Xbone thumbsticks on it. It's so easy my tech challenged self did it in 15 minutes and it was a game changer.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I played Hotline Miami 1 when it was free on PS+ and loved it. Bought 2 on PC during a steam sale but haven't started it yet. Is Mouse/KB is really the preferred control method or is there some :thejoke: I'm missing? Was prepared to hook up my 360 controller but I won't bother if that's the case.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Playing Hotline Miami with a controller is awful, you can get by (I've beat the first one on vita) but the precision of a mouse is a huge help.
Also 2 has a big problem with wide open rooms and enemies you can't see having guns and shooting you from offscreen, among other nit picky things.
Play Hotline Miami 1 with the music turned up and have a good time.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm playing through The Last of Us Remastered for the first time, and I find that it isn't actually very 'fun' to play. It splits time between wanting to be a bad stealth game and a bad set piece shooter. The set pieces are especially annoying since some enemies will instantly kill you if they touch you, and the shooting mechanics aren't super great. I understand that the hallmark of the game is the character development, but I think I'm about a third of the way through the game if not more, and I'm not seeing anything there either. For reference I just Just met Bill, and we're on our way to go get the army truck from the school . I'm really hoping the game clicks for me sometime soon.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Shadow225 posted:

I'm playing through The Last of Us Remastered for the first time, and I find that it isn't actually very 'fun' to play. It splits time between wanting to be a bad stealth game and a bad set piece shooter. The set pieces are especially annoying since some enemies will instantly kill you if they touch you, and the shooting mechanics aren't super great. I understand that the hallmark of the game is the character development, but I think I'm about a third of the way through the game if not more, and I'm not seeing anything there either. For reference I just Just met Bill, and we're on our way to go get the army truck from the school . I'm really hoping the game clicks for me sometime soon.

You should be instantly dying if you have some shiv's. Which you canshould upgrade. You should be getting another stealth weapon soon on the critical path, hope that helps you. Can you knock down the difficulty to still get the story?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The first third of Last of Us sucks. It gets better.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Liver Disaster posted:

Playing Hotline Miami with a controller is awful, you can get by (I've beat the first one on vita) but the precision of a mouse is a huge help.
Also 2 has a big problem with wide open rooms and enemies you can't see having guns and shooting you from offscreen, among other nit picky things.
Play Hotline Miami 1 with the music turned up and have a good time.
Huh, well that's good to know, thanks. fwiw I'm about to wrap up Bloodborne so my tolerance for swift, frequent death is at an all-time high.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
The gamepad controls for hotline are fine. My homie got A+ on every level in both games on his ps4.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got three ps4 invites for Ghost Recon closed beta starting tomorrow. Friend leidend on Uplay (not psn) and post here if you want one.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Got three ps4 invites for Ghost Recon closed beta starting tomorrow. Friend leidend on Uplay (not psn) and post here if you want one.

I added you... zenintrude on Uplay and PSN

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

You and I are in the same spot. I echo what other people said. You need to really work with the consumables. Make shivs, use them. Don't hoard them. Use them.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Clickers terrified me so I upgrade shivs, pretty sure you get enough materials clear out those sections in the first half of the game. Maybe sneak past a few easy ones. I liked the stealth play though, if its not working I don't know what to say. The enemy arenas are like Uncharted where you stealth as long as you can til you inevitably get caught, the fight your way out.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

zenintrude posted:

I added you... zenintrude on Uplay and PSN

Uplay is turbo hosed right now but will send an invite when possible.

edit: ok sent

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 2, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

This probably sounds like the stupidest advice in the world considering your complaints, but it is substantially more fun on survivalist difficulty. That turns it into proper survival horror which is where the interesting gameplay comes from. It feels like a bit of a wet noddle on normal.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Shadow225 posted:

It never clicked with me, I was feeling basically the same as you, and I gave it more time, but I still hated the gameplay. Gave up during a part where you go through a flooded hotel; I died and when I respawned I was in a part of the hotel I hadnt actually seen before wiith no clear idea what direction I should be going in. Seemed like a good time to just accept that the game isnt for me, and that was when there werent many games worth playing on the system. With all the good poo poo thats come out in the last few months I probably would have cut my losses way sooner.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I adore the gameplay in TLOU but it's an acquired taste for some. It really took me like half of my first play through to appreciate what it does.

Everything up until Bills Town is good IMO but it's kind of slow compared to the rest of the game, at a point where you probably haven't become particularly attached to the characters yet.

Bills town and beyond is pure gold.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never found the moment-to-moment mechanics in TLOU very fun, but the world and story make them worthwhile (eventually).

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

veni veni veni posted:

I adore the gameplay in TLOU but it's an acquired taste for some. It really took me like half of my first play through to appreciate what it does.

Everything up until Bills Town is good IMO but it's kind of slow compared to the rest of the game, at a point where you probably haven't become particularly attached to the characters yet.

Bills town and beyond is pure gold.

Yeah, for me the game really shines on the harder difficulties, when you find yourself surrounded by five looters and all you have on you are a couple of rags. Fights become these tense battles of wits where I'm tossing around distractions and desperately looking for even just a single bullet to help give me the edge.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Bill's town gives off a certain We Don't Go to Ravenholm vibe.

Which is loving ok in my book.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah what it does best on the harder difficulties is that it gives you an almost perpetual feeling that you won't make it to the next part and lo and behold you scrape by. You will be left feeling clever and badass after finishing survivalist vs. normal which kind of feels like you are going through the motions to see the story. I found it substantially more engaging on a gameplay level.

I still gotta go back and finish grounded one of these days.

I've said it before but the game feels like it was designed to be played on survivalist and normal was a compromise to make it more accessible.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

drat, if you still have one I'll take it. Sent a request on uplay. Same name.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zipperelli. posted:

drat, if you still have one I'll take it. Sent a request on uplay. Same name.

Last one's yours.

Always surprised by how little goon demand there is for closed beta access when frantic redditors would probably chop off a finger for one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd love one if someone ends up with an extra. I'm super curious about Ghost Recon it looks fun.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anyone know why Tales of Berseria is 10 dollars more expensive on PS4 than PC? Is there any actual difference or is it just an arbitrary "gently caress you" to console owners?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's just a gently caress you console owners thing, games are often cheaper on pc than on console

like the base edition of overwatch on pc was $40 at launch. they did at least give us the origins edition that came with special skins that is also available on pc, but they also didn't even give you the option of buying the base version so...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

I'd love one if someone ends up with an extra. I'm super curious about Ghost Recon it looks fun.

You posted three times in this thread before Zipperelli claimed the last one :/ They're really hard to get

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

No Man's Sky is $17, I'm thinking of getting it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Eh, may as well. The major update fixed and added a *lot*. It's still not a compelling game but looking at pretty landscapes is much less annoying and buggy.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Don't, it's bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Don't, it's bad.

I wouldn't download it if it was a ps+ game.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Getting a full psn refund on NMS in a country with no consumer rights was so satisfying. gently caress that game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Speaking of, was Xenoverse 2 a decent upgrade over 1? The store has 1 for $10 and Bestbuy has 2 for $30.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Its worth that much, imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Speaking of, was Xenoverse 2 a decent upgrade over 1? The store has 1 for $10 and Bestbuy has 2 for $30.

yes and no.

Mechanically it has some improvements (including way toning back super armor which makes a lot of end-game quests fun to play) but in terms of new content it barely has anything. It has like a handful of movie villains and then the DLC from Xenoverse 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the shooting in the last of us sucks until you upgrade it for some reason, which you're pretty close to being able to do since you should have enough human growth hormone or whatever is in those "pills" to get your first upgrade soon.