Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Earlier either in here or in Misogynoir I talked a little bit about what being mixed means to me. This weekend I learned something new, and after some thinking I wanted to share it to see how it lines up with other peoples' experiences.

I was talking to my wife about how painful it is to feel like I have on connection to my roots (more complicated than just race, I have a ridiculous family history I won't go into). But one aspect of that is that I've never met my father, from whom my black and native American heritage comes. Growing up, whenever I pressed my mom on wanting to know about him, she'd dismiss me with statements like "he's not worth knowing, trust me." I didn't actually learn I was mixed race until I was in junior high school. Before that my mom always explained my hair as a "jewish afro" despite the fact that my jewish heritage is 3 generations removed.

Anyway, my wife revealed to me a story my mom told her when they were on a trip together. When my mom was in the hospital having me, she called my father to come help her/see me. Instead, a couple hours later, his father showed up, gave my mom money to pay for the hospital, and told her that she should tell people I am white and not to try to get me involved with them. Then he left with no further explanation and my mom's just been quietly carrying that around ever since, trying to protect me from it.

It makes me feel really conflicted. On the one hand, I want to know what their story is. What did they live through that pushed them to this decision, to just obliterate that side of my history? But on the other hand, the story makes it clear they wanted nothing to do with me. It kinda closes off any naive thought I might have had to reach out one day and try to learn about where I come from.

Most days I feel like a person with no history, no roots, no inheritance. Nothing has been passed down to me, not from any branch of my family. It's painful, sometimes, to feel like you have to build your entire identity for yourself. It can feel like you're making yourself up as you go along. Growing up with no traditions, no stories, no artifacts of who my family and people are was painful. Now I live a life where necessarily my entire identity is defined by and enforced by myself. It's simultaneously a joy, that I carry no burden from my forebears, and a pain as everything I have to pass down is "new", from me. I'll never be able to tell my kids what their great grandparents did, or how we got to this country.

I dunno, I don't really have a conclusion to any of that. That's just what's been rattling around in my head this weekend and I needed to share it somewhere.

I went through a similar experience actually. I had no idea my dad was mixed race since he and my mom got divorced when I was really young and my mom adamantly refuses to talk about him or his family. I didn't find out until I was in my early 20s that it was due to his family getting pissed off that he decided to marry a black woman.

I imagine stories like this aren't that uncommon, which is depressing as gently caress. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

I went through a similar experience actually. I had no idea my dad was mixed race since he and my mom got divorced when I was really young and my mom adamantly refuses to talk about him or his family. I didn't find out until I was in my early 20s that it was due to his family getting pissed off that he decided to marry a black woman.

I imagine stories like this aren't that uncommon, which is depressing as gently caress. :smith:

God drat man

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Maybe this isn't the right thread for it, but people here seem more educated and grounded then most, so here it goes

Has anyone read any good biographies of Nelson Mandela and/or histories of South Africa apartheid? I'm sure I could google this, but looking for more personal recommendations. Thanks in advance

Also not trying to distract from the previous few posts. There's a somewhat similar story in my extended family, and those stories are extremely powerful and impactful

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 31, 2017

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Chilichimp posted:

God drat man

Yeah, it answered a lot of questions I had never thought to ask. :smith: I have a couple of cool cousins on that side of my family that I talk to occasionally but my Chinese grandmother very nearly got disowned by her family for having a child with her black boyfriend. To say that it puts a strain on establishing a relationship is a goddamned understatement.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Anyway, my wife revealed to me a story my mom told her when they were on a trip together. When my mom was in the hospital having me, she called my father to come help her/see me. Instead, a couple hours later, his father showed up, gave my mom money to pay for the hospital, and told her that she should tell people I am white and not to try to get me involved with them. Then he left with no further explanation and my mom's just been quietly carrying that around ever since, trying to protect me from it.

I don't have anything to say, beyond that I'm really sorry to hear this. It makes my heart hurt to read it.:smith: But thanks for sharing it, it's eye-opening.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Since the FBI is a particularly vile organization to marginalized communities and especially african americans I feel like the Intercept's breakdown of the leaked FBI internal rules is a very relevant read for anybody who follows this thread. It mostly confirms a lot of what people suspected I think but the details are all there now.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
what's the title of this thread referencing?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

crazy cloud posted:

what's the title of this thread referencing?

Stuff like this.

negromancer posted:

This happened to me when I applied for Twitter. The person they hired couldn't tell you 3 of the OWASP top 10 but he got the job. So I pretty much blasted them at every conference I spoke at for a year. Their HR person reached out to me and let me know them going with the other candidate wasn't personal, it was a "culture fit", to which I then included said email into my talk. I apparently burned a few bridges I didn't care to walk across at that point doing so.

The talk also included pictures of their "recruitment of diversity" efforts, to which they held events far from public transportation and minority neighborhoods and every picture was probably the whitest pictures you could get outside of a snowstorm or a Trump rally.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

Stuff like this.

oic that's about what I was guessing thanks

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Today in my endless search for ever more impractical things to cook in my tiny apartment kitchen I came across Michael W. Twitty and I thought this thread might appreciate his blog Afroculinaria.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It's started to get really quiet around here.

Too quiet. :ohdear:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I've shown my wife this subforum and the mysogynoir thread and encouraged her to post in them since I think she has a lot of good stuff to say/add, but she's more interested in her facebook groups and almost never logs in to her account. :(

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I don't really have much to say between work and all of this Trump bullshit. Everything I would have to say is probably more at home in a USPOL thread.

Although I did love all the people going crazy over Obama wearing his hat backwards while on vacation.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 2, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Trumps loving incompetence has really taken over all forms of social media.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Im just really not looking forward to the slapfights in the Democratic party, but I am curious to know what black people's place will be in it. What will the Democrats' messaging be going forward.

They have been pretty drat spineless in the past. But I find that there is a complete and utter lack of rage against many Democrats from left leaning people.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I mean, I try to sit back and just listen unless something comes up that I have something useful to say about. I think it's only natural that the threads move slower when we're not constantly reacting to trolls coming in. The topics of threads in this forum are much more narrowly defined so there's naturally not going to be as much of people popping in with tangentially related conversation, and I think everyone is also more than a little hesitant to post too much given the whole doxxing fiasco.

If you want to see more discussion feel free to pick a topic to talk about though!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Im just really not looking forward to the slapfights in the Democratic party, but I am curious to know what black people's place will be in it. What will the Democrats' messaging be going forward.

They have been pretty drat spineless in the past. But I find that there is a complete and utter lack of rage against many Democrats from left leaning people.

There are so many leftists that are ready to throw us under the bus in the attempt to attract the "white working class", so I'm not super optimistic.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I have considered maybe starting a USPol type thread where we can talk about all the recent news breaks and how things target or effect poc, lgbt, refugees, antifa etc.

Would people be interested in something like that?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Koalas March posted:

I have considered maybe starting a USPol type thread where we can talk about all the recent news breaks and how things target or effect poc, lgbt, refugees, antifa etc.

That sounds really good to me.

Quietness here seems to be a combination of things settling down after the crazy that was the formation of this sub-forum and and a natural migration from what was a big picture thread to lots of little picture threads.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Koalas March posted:

yes please

careful for talking about antifa because I don't want Uncle Sam knocking on Uncle Lowtax's door.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Morby posted:

There are so many leftists that are ready to throw us under the bus in the attempt to attract the "white working class", so I'm not super optimistic.

Me neither. I was Facebook friends with another Democrat who just straight up believes that some of those manufacturing jobs are coming back just as long as we get the perfect set of economic conditions. I ended up defriending him because honestly, our only connections were political, and we don't really see eye to eye.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Koalas March posted:

Absolutely.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I wanted to share this link a friend sent to me yesterday: How to Support Students of Color.

This is written by a white tenure track professor addressed to other white professors, however I found this to be a great article to share with white friends who aren't sure how to help/show support/communicate with their minority friends about what's going on, or alternately are confused about the anger they're hearing/feeling from minorities in regards to sudden activism in areas where previously issues were ignored.

Koalas March posted:

This sounds like a great idea!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Al Jazeera had a nice roundup of articles about black history in america for Black History Month. Some good reads that are

I also found this writeup which has a novel way of explaining white privilege. Just don't read the comments :smith:

Earlier either in here or in Misogynoir I talked a little bit about what being mixed means to me. This weekend I learned something new, and after some thinking I wanted to share it to see how it lines up with other peoples' experiences.

I'll edit in a stab at this one later, my computer's acting up and I feel a crash coming on.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wiggy Marie posted:

I wanted to share this link a friend sent to me yesterday: How to Support Students of Color.

The article here was good, but the linked pages for additional reading are even better.

I mean, this list is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for: http://guides.lib.uw.edu/uwtfac/multiculturalteaching

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Why do black people always turn and run whenever something amazing happens. I was watching david blaynes special on netflix and whenever he wowwed a bunch of people standing around the black people would be like 'OHHH' and then turn and run away and like slowly drift back after like 30 seconds and then other times theyd just run off like literally just run down the street and not come back.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nierbo posted:

Why do black people always turn and run whenever something amazing happens. I was watching david blaynes special on netflix and whenever he wowwed a bunch of people standing around the black people would be like 'OHHH' and then turn and run away and like slowly drift back after like 30 seconds and then other times theyd just run off like literally just run down the street and not come back.

Are you sure you're not experiencing confirmation bias here? I've seen that body language in plenty of people of all races including my own fully-cracker brothers. It's just a way some people emphasize just how strongly they're reacting to a situation. I do that sometimes if something is really funny (and cringe awkwardly in my seat if I'm in a situation where I can't do that).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah when I was a kid and a movie got real exciting I would run into the other room or hide behind the couch. When I'm watching tv now and something is real funny or I sense something big is about to happen I'll just pause it for a bit.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Koalas March posted:

oh god yes please!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Guest2553 posted:

I also found this writeup which has a novel way of explaining white privilege. Just don't read the comments :smith:

Being called a racist really is the white "friend of the family", and they get their hackles up if they even think you might be calling them racist.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Glazier posted:

Being called a racist really is the white "friend of the family", and they get their hackles up if they even think you might be calling them racist.

People like this find the accusation of racism more upsetting than actual racism.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Glazier posted:

Morby posted:

People like this find the accusation of racism more upsetting than actual racism.

"Racism would go away if we just stopped talking about it, ya'll"

I've met way to many of these people.

What it really represents is a lack of exposure, concern, and empathy. Showing people the affects of racism, showing people the disparity of treatment and outcomes in the legal system, giving proof, giving numbers, over and over and over again...

The first thing to be done, is convincing white people that racism is still real and their thoughtless acceptance of MLK as a demi-god for color-blind freedom isn't enough to counter-act prejudice. Shielding and sheltering demonstrable racial bias and prejudice in their communities, because *pearl clutching* "I am NOT a racist" doesn't absolve them of the responsibility to help.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

What it really represents is a lack of exposure, concern, and empathy. Showing people the affects of racism, showing people the disparity of treatment and outcomes in the legal system, giving proof, giving numbers, over and over and over again...

The first thing to be done, is convincing white people that racism is still real and their thoughtless acceptance of MLK as a demi-god for color-blind freedom isn't enough to counter-act prejudice. Shielding and sheltering demonstrable racial bias and prejudice in their communities, because *pearl clutching* "I am NOT a racist" doesn't absolve them of the responsibility to help.

I've found the exact opposite, trying to walk around their emotions by providing hard data tends to get my argument disregarded immediately. Whereas just calling them a racist over and over makes them stop and think why I, someone they know as a fried, keeps doing it. As always YMMV.

Morby posted:

That's because they know being racist makes you a "bad person" and they don't think of themselves that way, therefore the can't be a racist! :downs:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Are you sure you're not experiencing confirmation bias here? I've seen that body language in plenty of people of all races including my own fully-cracker brothers. It's just a way some people emphasize just how strongly they're reacting to a situation. I do that sometimes if something is really funny (and cringe awkwardly in my seat if I'm in a situation where I can't do that).

Dont know, the whites didn't do it. I thought it was sorta funny, they were just so shocked they had to get the gently caress outta there. I'm from australia so im not exactly.. uh.. cultured.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Chilichimp posted:

You have to confront it head on if you want it to stop. There is no nice way to defuse racism. I'm dealing with this meetup that is casually sliding to the right. They are testing the waters with jokes about sexism and men's rights. I've never met a bigot that wasn't bigoted in other ways.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

The article here was good, but the linked pages for additional reading are even better.

I mean, this list is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for: http://guides.lib.uw.edu/uwtfac/multiculturalteaching

I agree, the included links were all excellent reads or resources! I've sent the linked write-up about intersectional feminism to a couple of people and it has really made a difference in their understanding.

Glazier posted:

Morby posted:

Just practice S-I-L-E-N-C-E! Pronounced "silenz" of course. This video is my life. People have asked me about Mexican immigrant issues, I've pointed out that I'm not Mexican and so can only speak as an outside observer, and they've angrily said things like "I didn't mean it like THAT!" What does that even mean? How did you mean it?

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

Glazier posted:

I've never seen it said like that but this makes a lot of sense. The two times I've called people racists have ended up in a fistfight. It definitely invokes the same reaction for sure.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Calling people a racist or accusing them of racism is a crap shoot. Its is a judgement and people will deflect with "well I don't think I'm a racist", "he's my friend and I don't think he's racist", "I have a black girlfriend and she doesn't think its racist." You circle the drain. The only real bigot I personally know was dating a black woman until recently and it boggles my mind.

When I hear or see something that could be racist, I say that I don't like or don't want (blank). And then I explain why I think it is a problem. Finally, I tell people what the person did. Racism is like masturbation, people will always deny it when confronted. I try to get people to view, hold, or regard a black person like they would a white person. So when people say "these black kids never want to study", I say well most kids don't like studying". Whatever they say, I just apply it to everyone and it infuriates them. What pisses me of the most is the "I'm totally fair, unbiased, and colorblind, I'm just saying......" but its complete bullshit. Don't lie about it. I hate to admit but I'm more tolerant of people that admit to be racist. At least I can decide to ignore them. The "Im just asking questions" types should sprain their groin.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

temple posted:

What pisses me of the most is the "I'm totally fair, unbiased, and colorblind, I'm just saying......" but its complete bullshit. Don't lie about it. I hate to admit but I'm more tolerant of people that admit to be racist. At least I can decide to ignore them. The "Im just asking questions" types should sprain their groin.

To quote Robin DiAngelo, who is much smarter and more articulate than me:

quote:

Whites are taught to see their perspectives as objective and representative of reality. The belief in objectivity, coupled with positioning white people as outside of culture (and thus the norm for humanity), allows whites to view themselves as universal humans who can represent all of human experience. This is evidenced through an unracialized identity or location, which functions as a kind of blindness; an inability to think about Whiteness as an identity or as a “state” of being that would or could have an impact on one’s life. In this position, Whiteness is not recognized or named by white people, and a universal reference point is assumed. White people are just people. Within this construction, whites can represent humanity, while people of color, who are never just people but always most particularly black people, Asian people, etc., can only represent their own racialized experiences.

The issue isn't that they're intentionally lying about it, the issue is that they're literally unable to see their own fundamental dishonesty. They're also generally unwilling or unable to acknowledge this as a problem or to try to fix it. The quote in question is from a much longer article discussing how white people tend to completely lose their poo poo when they're called on things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I am white and I've badly pissed off a close relative before merely by mentioning that right-wing demagogues like Bill O'Reilly frequently lie and are racist (In fairly mild terms too, I wasn't even trying to express how I really feel about that loving piece of poo poo). This is someone who thinks they're politically neutral even though they constantly have Fox News on and often repeat the talking points. So you don't even have to say "you, personally, are being racist right now". Anything which threatens the assumptions examined in that Robin DiAngelo quote above, that their worldview is the reasonable middle ground, can trigger incredible cognitive dissonance anger.

It's a very self reinforcing belief system and I don't know how to crack it. I used to be blinded by a lot of it myself, but it was a very long process to get rid of it, I'm sure I've still got a long way to go, and I have no idea how to make anyone else pay attention to the things which slowly opened my eyes to the reality that there isn't freedom and justice for all in the USA. And that there never has been. I mean you'd think that would be obvious because hello, slavery??? But white society trains its children to have very orwellian ways of thinking about this stuff.

(Speaking of which. Not a Negrotown thing, but several years ago it really hit me how much young-me used to believe in terrible Manifest Destiny horseshit about Native Americans. I never would have deliberately said anything bigoted to anyone, but at the back of my mind when I read about the Trail of Tears I'd be thinking 'well too bad for those guys but they were never going to be a modern technological nation and it's wrong to expect modern whites to pay for the sins of so many generations back', and so on. I don't know where I picked that attitude up; I don't remember ever being explicitly taught to think like that. Maybe it's just what the brain does when you're privileged, naive, constantly being taught that your country is a great bastion of freedom, and you have to rationalize away the genocide lurking in the corner of the room.)

• Locked thread