Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Decided to do an 11 pull because my 4 synergy is kind of terrible. Ended up with Cid's Gloves. Wasn't too terribly disappointed until I realized he is only Support 4. :effort:

The gloves are pentabreak at least? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
1/11 Yang's claws. gently caress!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got Golbez's Cloak. The non BSB 1/11 streak continues! Not pulling until the anniversary now.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Please vote for Dusk's Decree so I can not get it again.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

please don't vote for any SBs i have, tia

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

With FuSoYa's weird imperil dark + MAG/MND buff I can now potentially run the dankest dark mage team

Golbez (BSB)
FuSoYa (SSB)
Cid Raines (BSB)
Quistis (BSB)/Seymour (SSB)/Papalymo (SSB)
Y'shtola (Wall, BSB)

Of course it involves using the cute purple marshmallow moon man but I also get to use SWOLEBEZ

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

does RK's fusoya still melt when KO'd? if so that's a big point in his favor

e: eh, 6/10 could be meltier

Prav fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 3, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Combo posted:

The gloves are pentabreak at least? :(

Yeah, but Cid is basically... well, Cid is basically Mustadio, trading off Celerity for Combat and with much, much worse equipment selection.

Find me a realm with good hammers/axes available that isn't FF4/FF5.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Please do not vote for dusks decree, Kain, Vanille, OK, Terra, or firion BSBs. I missed a couple others, don't vote for those either.

Vote for whatever OSB you want though, I'll take any of those.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I asked them to make some of the horrible 3* like Silver Harp/Golden Shield/Magus Robe/White Dress 1* or 2*

Yeah I did a rage-ish 100 gem pull after my 1/11 to get Rosa's Dress and got that Magus Robe why do ya ask

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Did a dollar pull and got Rosa's White Dress.

Yay...Protect and shell..

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Dollar pulled Asura Rod, 2/11 pull: Rosa Dress and ZEROMUS SHARD AAAAAAA :gizz:

First mage BSB too, I'm looking forward to kicking rear end with the OG in Black

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Prav posted:

does RK's fusoya still melt when KO'd? if so that's a big point in his favor

e: eh, 6/10 could be meltier

That is adorable

So, I've got both Golbez items, what abilities should I slap on him to make the most use of him in this event? I'm still mostly short of 4* or higher stuff, just not sure which skills I should prioritize.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

So, I've got both Golbez items, what abilities should I slap on him to make the most use of him in this event? I'm still mostly short of 4* or higher stuff, just not sure which skills I should prioritize.

If you've got Golbez's burst and an EnDark then honestly consider aiming for Drainga. He does have a (minor) drain effect on his empowered Command 2, but sometimes you'll want a little more self-healing than that. Regardless, enjoy your tank mage.

Past that, Memento Mori and Dark Zone are the bread and butter 4*/5* Darkness Mage skills, though using those is kind of counterintuitive to the concept of Golbez tanking since MM puts a doom timer on him (and DZ gets more powerful if you're Doom'd). Consider instead investing in standard black magic stuff (thus Drainga and Darkga, to capitalize on the Dark boost) instead.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks, he was a bit difficult to wrap my head around since he has a pretty wide range of stuff he can equip. I'll use Drain/Dark on him until I can afford to get/hone the 4* stuff.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, but Cid is basically... well, Cid is basically Mustadio, trading off Celerity for Combat and with much, much worse equipment selection.

There's always Leon's Rune Axe from FF2, which gives a useful endark BSB.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

KataraniSword posted:

XII Hammerhead +++

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Ugh, Wiegraf is still ruining me. Every strategy I've tried so far would work if I had native wall, but without, I either run out of wall time due to lack of damage or can't make it through his weak phase due to taking too much damage.

AoE stop spam is the worst.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Jesus how the hell do I have 600 3* Dex motes? And yet I'm weirdly starved for 4* ones - those and Wisdom.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
My ballot, fwiw:

Blood Sword
Apocalypse X
Twin Viper (I really need a mage weapon for VIII, OK?)
Orichalcum Dirk XII
Onion Gauntlets
Ashe's Defiance
Platinum Sword T
Crescent Wish
Artemis Bow IV

Kinda bummed Saintly Excalibur or Metamorphosis Claws weren't options.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

HPanda posted:

Ugh, Wiegraf is still ruining me. Every strategy I've tried so far would work if I had native wall, but without, I either run out of wall time due to lack of damage or can't make it through his weak phase due to taking too much damage.

AoE stop spam is the worst.
Make sure to beat up the monks quickly and/or use Mug Bloodlust on him after they use Chakra, since that also gives Wiegraf a +ATK/DEF buff. (Of course the game doesn't mention it at all.) In general, while Wiegraf is the primary target you shouldn't be ignoring the mooks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

If we're including relics? Raijin has a hammer in the next FFVIII event. Of course, that same event has Irvine's Pentabreak, and he's an easier character to fit in unless you really want to use Rapid Fire.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh thank god, I finally solved my weird multiplayer issues. Sorry again for those who tried helping me the other day and my phone kept disconnecting. I remembered I have an iPad and just ran the app on there, and have been running around with pubbies without issue. The 5* eggs are definitely helping me get Golbez and friends up to speed quickly.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

I gets more axes in the future; mostly Garland, but Wol gets one, too. II's got 1 each on the main male protagonists but I guess good luck getting Firion's SB one now. XII's got one for Basch and then Vaan later.
Hammers fare worse: Cid's got one, Galuf's got two (would be three but we didn't get the collab; we also missed a Bartz axe), and Raijin will have one.

But yeah, existant non-dagger synergy coverage is I-V, VIII, and XII.

Guns have representation in VI-VIII, X (ᵇᵉᵉ), XII-XIII, and Tactics. Which is... around the same number of realms, but more frequently occurring ones for synergy.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, seems like we got the same relic options as JP (up through the XIV event) even though we're significantly past where Japan was in the event timeline. That's pretty crappy. Oh well, hopefully global players will not pick dumb outdated crap like Aerith and Cecil's BSBs.

For SSBs I actually chose Exeter for Irvine. A pentabreak on a Support 5 character is great and much harder to come by than Shout or a Faithga.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Reks turns out to be XII's dedicated Spellblade.

Spellblade 5*, Combat 5*, Black Magic 4*, White Magic 4*, Knight 3*
Equips Dagger, Sword, Katana, Spear, Shield, Hat, Helm, Light Armor, Heavy Armor, Bracer
Only particularly notable thing in his record spheres is +9% to Spellblade damage.

Vaan's USB in action: 10 random physical attacks, Instant Cast, ATK & RES -50% to targets, ATK & RES +30% to user, EX: Sky Pirate
(EX: Sky Pirate - Thief Damage +30%, Instant Thief abilities)
Reks's BSB in action: ATK & DEF +30% and Haste to party, Burst Mode
(Attack -> 4 single-target Lightning/Ice physical attacks, higher multiplier if exploiting weakness
Defend -> 4 single-target physical attacks, 25% max HP heal to an ally)
Balthier's BSB2 in action: 8 random Fire/NE ranged physical attacks, Imperil Fire, Burst Mode
(Attack -> 2 single-target Fire/NE ranged physical attacks, 30% chance of minor Imperil Fire
Defend -> 4 single-target Fire/NE ranged physical attacks, multiplier is dependent on number of attack commands used (maximum 3 stacks), counter resets if Burst Mode ends)
Reks's SSB in action: 8 single-target physical attacks, 40% max HP heal to party (Bro power!)

Despite the animation effects on the USB and Fran getting an Ice Imperil, I guess Vaan's crystals are just less icy than his brother's.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hogama posted:

Spellblade 5*, Combat 5*, Black Magic 4*, White Magic 4*, Knight 3*

:raise: That's an incredibly Celes-like skill-spread, just trading the top two levels of Knight for Lifesiphon/Full Charge/Omega Drive access.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

If you've got Golbez's burst and an EnDark then honestly consider aiming for Drainga. He does have a (minor) drain effect on his empowered Command 2, but sometimes you'll want a little more self-healing than that. Regardless, enjoy your tank mage..

The drain on his empowered command 2 is stronger than Drainga. It's the strongest such effect in the game, IIRC.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Thanks, he was a bit difficult to wrap my head around since he has a pretty wide range of stuff he can equip. I'll use Drain/Dark on him until I can afford to get/hone the 4* stuff.

So, Memento Mori is a must. The Doom isn't as big a deal as you think in most fights, and the + Mag means you don't need a Mage shout for Golbez to be effective tanking in a mixed team.

The other skill that's really important that Kat didn't mention is Draw Fire or Gaia Cross. The former is orb cheap and fine for Golbez. The latter is the 5* version that you'd rather all your other knights use - Golbez would do poo poo damage with it, but it saves an inventory slot if you don't want to keep draw fire and GC around.

Either way, the key is use Draw Fire on Golbez in the back row with the Lionheart RM equipped. (That's Squalls, if you don't have it). That gives extra SB when he gets hit, and taunts attacks to him. That'll get his SB Gauge filled quickly, and then you can mostly just use burst commands. Command 2 is stronger than a -Ja spell and won't cap and with summon mode on (which it ought to be) will heal Golbez. Then use command 1 again right before burst mode ends (so 1-2-2-2-1 or 1-2-2-1 if you're playing it safe) for a hit of damage equivalent to 6* summons.

Long term, the Darkness skill to eyeball is Dark Zone along with Memento Mori (often referred to simply as the Dark Combo), or just use Golbez as a 5* black mage, who wants the same things as all the others - chainga's, ja's, Meltdown if availiable, etc.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CaptainPsyko posted:

The drain on his empowered command 2 is stronger than Drainga. It's the strongest such effect in the game, IIRC.

The other skill that's really important that Kat didn't mention is Draw Fire or Gaia Cross. The former is orb cheap and fine for Golbez. The latter is the 5* version that you'd rather all your other knights use - Golbez would do poo poo damage with it, but it saves an inventory slot if you don't want to keep draw fire and GC around.

I thought Drainga was a 50% drain to Empowered 2's 20%. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. :shobon:

I hadn't mentioned Draw Fire since the BSB entry comes with Sentinel (Draw Fire + Magic Lure, albeit minus the RES bump of the latter) on it, but that involves popping the BSB first. Gaia Cross shouldn't need many hones if you use that instead because of that fact; once you get his BSB going it should sustain pretty well with Lionheart.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Golbez' command 2 drains 20% of whatever damage it deals

It's 255% x4 (1020%) compared to drainga's 7x multiplier

I've seen Golbez' command 2 drain 7999, the max you'll ever seen from drainga is 2999

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ah, so it's better just by virtue of being stronger by several magnitudes, even if it's similar drain rates. :downs: Got it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

Ah, so it's better just by virtue of being stronger by several magnitudes, even if it's similar drain rates. :downs: Got it.

Also just that it's 20% across 4 hits versus 30% of one hit.

Drainga's only better if you're doing less than 2500/hit basically. And that's not common.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I made my first Nightmare ability!

That fight sucked REAL HARD but Indomitable Blade sucked up a ton of damage while the soft cap raise turned Onion Slice into a chainsaw from Hell. Onion Slice seriously did most of the work and I'm glad I brought Lifesyphon for OK just for that.

I was actually able to do so much damage that I beat him with only 2 active Dooms. The power creep is so real.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

NGDBSS posted:

Make sure to beat up the monks quickly and/or use Mug Bloodlust on him after they use Chakra, since that also gives Wiegraf a +ATK/DEF buff. (Of course the game doesn't mention it at all.) In general, while Wiegraf is the primary target you shouldn't be ignoring the mooks.

The "buff " they give him is zero potency, zero duration. It's entirely designed to clear debuffs off of him and nothing else. For this reason, mug bloodlust is probably a bad idea for this fight.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm trying to figure out how best to use my 4* motes. I haven't used a single one and finishing up the mote dungeons has given me a decent influx of them. Is Onion Knight worth it if I don't have his BSB? I do have the Onion Sword SB. I'd probably unlock Support and I guess Black magic for him.

My most used characters now are probably Y'shtola (wall, BSB), Ramza (Shout, BSB), Vanille (BSB) Minfila (BSB, SB), Alphinaud (BSB, SB), Terra (OSB) and Hope (BSB). For Physical I use a combination of Luneth, Freya, Noel, and Locke, all BSBs.

Should I go for stat boosts, %skill dps boosts, or unlocking abilities? I wish 4* motes were less rare.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Why can't Goblez have or dive to Support 4. :(

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So uh, what does eveyone think about the state of darkness abilities? Momento mori, dark zone and dark bargain are great and all that, but what about the others?

I've already shattered morbid countdown as it reduces the doom timer. I already have dark zone at r3, and I don't need a riskier version. I also plan on shattering dread heal for the same reason I ignored drainga. I never needed the healing from drainga, so I made darkra instead. I have enough healing for the most part, I don't need to lose damage for unecessary upkeep.

The future physical and magical 5* darkness abilities do more damage the lower your doom timer is, but apparently the doom timer has to be below 10 to get the best multiplier. And then what, you can use the ability twice maybe if you're hasted? They seem worthless to me.

Death throes is really only good as a doom applier for physical users. Its attack buff is the same multiplier as dark bargain, and it can't stack with shout. If I use kuja's start with doom rm, I can see reaping scythe being worthwhile. But I do have garland's bsb, and sanguine cross combos wonderfully with it. It also takes less dark orbs to hone. I might end up honing both, but chances are I'll just sit on them forever and just wait. Maybe hone one to r2 so I cam start using it.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm trying to figure out how best to use my 4* motes. I haven't used a single one and finishing up the mote dungeons has given me a decent influx of them. Is Onion Knight worth it if I don't have his BSB? I do have the Onion Sword SB. I'd probably unlock Support and I guess Black magic for him.

My most used characters now are probably Y'shtola (wall, BSB), Ramza (Shout, BSB), Vanille (BSB) Minfila (BSB, SB), Alphinaud (BSB, SB), Terra (OSB) and Hope (BSB). For Physical I use a combination of Luneth, Freya, Noel, and Locke, all BSBs.

Should I go for stat boosts, %skill dps boosts, or unlocking abilities? I wish 4* motes were less rare.

I'm interested in this too. Right now I'm tempted to put them towards my main damage dealers' %school increases, especially if they have burst commands of that school. I've done very little with motes, partially because I don't do enough dailies to afford them from the greens store. I hate hoarding something that could be giving me benefit immediately though.

Also, squall and tidus need to stop being cocks about coughing up RMs. I got tidus' one with the ff10 req, and now he's level 68 and still hasn't given me the good one. I have no stamina to spare farming ff8 to get squalls. I've got characters that need experience, it's irritating.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

iamsosmrt posted:

Like you, my most used characters are Ramza and Y'shtola so I spent my 4*s on them. I don't recommend maxing them out completely, just get Y'shtola's MND maxed and Ramza's ATK, DEF, and RES maxed. Don't bother unlocking Ninja for Ramza IMO. You won't use those often.

I would dive Y'shtola first because she'll be on every team whereas Ramza won't be on mage teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Don't bother with % boosts in the 4* mote range. 4* motes are super expensive and rare, and you never know when you'll need to give someone a new skillset through motes. 3* motes are dime a dozen now, and some characters get % boosts from that so whatever. Also one of krile's advanced pths uses 3* motes instead of 4*, and gives bard 4* which is essentially 4* white since it has both a protega and a shellga skill.

Getting new skillsets from motes is the #1 gamechanger for the majority of characters who have them. Though some are trash you can ignore like ricard's and tifa's. 4* white on anyone means all the sudden you can start bringing shellga and protega without another white mage or whatever. Zell's celerity 5* lets him do chainstarter + full charge nonsense, which takes him from average monk to oh hey he has a good use. Bathier's 5* spellblade lets him have decent damage outside of soul breaks. Gilgamesh and noel both get 5* skillsets that not only aren't present on other characters in their realms, but are also very good damage dealing skillsets.

The only reason I'd bother doing % damage boosts outside of 3* mote range would be for ninjas. Due to how ninja magic works, it's actually a pretty solid buff. But that's only if I don't need any more skillsets on characters.

Edit:

Elephant Ambush posted:

Like you, my most used characters are Ramza and Y'shtola so I spent my 4*s on them. I don't recommend maxing them out completely, just get Y'shtola's MND maxed and Ramza's ATK, DEF, and RES maxed. Don't bother unlocking Ninja for Ramza IMO. You won't use those often.

I would dive Y'shtola first because she'll be on every team whereas Ramza won't be on mage teams.

The stat boosts are marginal, and honestly not worth it. Ninja magic is better than you'd think, do it right and the new 5* skill hits really loving hard. You just need to stack bonuses and stuff.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 3, 2017

• Locked thread