Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

8ender posted:

They're being listed for shockingly high amounts on Kijij here in Canada. I feel bad for the posters because obviously these folks feel like $400 is more than reasonable for their $800+ GPU bought less than a year ago, but that's in the price and performance range of a brand new GTX 1060.

980 Tis go for more than 1060s do in the US. I think that's pretty justified, given:

~Coxy posted:

a 980Ti is quite a bit better than a 1060 at most things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eletriarnation posted:

980 Tis go for more than 1060s do in the US. I think that's pretty justified, given:

As I understand it, 1060 ~= 980, 1070 ~= 980 Ti.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Is anyone here running a Hackintosh with a GTX 10X0 on integrated graphics?

I've been using a Macbook for years and really prefer OSX now, but I built a new PC pretty much for gaming so I didn't want to compromise too much on the parts just for a dual-boot. I would love to get it set up so that I can read/write cross-OS so I can mostly just game in Windows but do my browsing and basic file opening/management in OSX. It looks like it's not too much of a hassle to set up the iGPU for OSX, the only issue I've seen is that you have to change monitor cables if your monitor doesn't have autoswitching because you won't be able to get the output from the GPU. Just wondering if anyone here has done it.

(Un)luckily my Macbook's discrete card has been busted for months too, so I'm pretty sure that I can do pretty much everything I want to on Intel graphics.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There's 1070 support in Windows, but nVidia has yet to release any Pascal based drivers for Mac OS X.

And since there are no nVidia GPUs in any currently shipping Macs, you won't get any support in El Capitan or Sierra either.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: Nevermind it's actually done from within the OS. :350:

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 10, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Binary Badger posted:

There's 1070 support in Windows, but nVidia has yet to release any Pascal based drivers for Mac OS X.

And since there are no nVidia GPUs in any currently shipping Macs, you won't get any support in El Capitan or Sierra either.

He wants to use the IGP in OS X.
I think the question is simply "Will OS X boot with an unsupported GPU not doing connected to a monitor."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I tried the instructions to get 480/470 cards working, which basically came down to editing a kext, and it didn't work. Then I tried a similar set of instructions, which did the same thing but disabled SIP and used Kext Manager to fix permissions afterwards, and now my system won't even start.

I have a full system backup on Time Machine but I think I'll just wait until the 470 support is real.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
10.2.2 is out, and with it came the promise of new AMD drivers. I managed to update by switching to iGPU and updating everything. My AMD card will boot OSX again, but there's still no acceleration etc.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I managed to install MacOSX to my Lenovo T420. The (expected) problem I have now is the Wifi card. I have a replacement sitting on my desk ready to be installed; however. I don't know how to update the bios with a modded variant that has the wifi card whitelist removed. The included installers appear to be .exe files. Do I really need to install Windows, update the bios then reinstall MacOSX? Anyone here with a Thinkpad able to enlighten me how they circumvented this problem?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

YouTuber posted:

I managed to install MacOSX to my Lenovo T420. The (expected) problem I have now is the Wifi card. I have a replacement sitting on my desk ready to be installed; however. I don't know how to update the bios with a modded variant that has the wifi card whitelist removed. The included installers appear to be .exe files. Do I really need to install Windows, update the bios then reinstall MacOSX? Anyone here with a Thinkpad able to enlighten me how they circumvented this problem?

I had to reinstall Windows to flash the modified BIOS on my T420 as I wasn't able to find an alternative.

It's annoying but probably the safest way to do it.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 18, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

JayKay posted:

I had to reinstall Windows to flash the modified BIOS on my T420 as I wasn't able to find an alternative.

It's annoying but probably the safest way to do it.

Ah I see, also I think I hosed up and purchased the wrong wifi card. I have an Intel card sitting on my desk.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MY9S692/

This does not work with MacOSX or am I reading this wrong?

What I should have purchased is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GAWMTM/

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

YouTuber posted:

If you have a spare drive or a removable one that you can install to, you could probably use that for the Windows install instead of blowing away your OSX install.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

YouTuber posted:

Ah I see, also I think I hosed up and purchased the wrong wifi card. I have an Intel card sitting on my desk.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MY9S692/

This does not work with MacOSX or am I reading this wrong?

What I should have purchased is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GAWMTM/

I was under the impression that no intel cards work with OSX.

This is what I'm using: AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB/BCM94352 802.11/ac/867Mbps WLAN + BT4.0 Half Mini PCI-E Card

It worked without whitelist shenanigans on my Lenovo U530, however I did have to flash the modded BIOS for my T420.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple only ever used either Broadcom or Atheros wireless chips in their Macs, so no OS X ever supported any other wireless hardware without third party written drivers.

RealTek and Ralink are the only wireless vendors I currently know who have bothered to write Mac drivers for their wireless hardware.

Only Intel networking hardware that works on Mac PCIe is a PCIe Gigabit Ethernet card.. and even then only with drivers supplied by a third party.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 20, 2016

via
Dec 14, 2013
I have a Lenovo x230 and it doesn't matter which card I buy, it won't work as X230 has a WLAN card whitelist that must be physically bypassed with a soldering iron. USB all the way. Best part of USB bluetooth is my Apple keyboard connects to both OS X and Win without a hitch. Win uses the onboard BT and OS X uses the dongle.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Got El Capitan running on a spare HP Probook 6560b. Followed this guide with some hiccups.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not exactly Drivers, but Nvidia hasn't forgotten Macs.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-geforce-now-cloud-streaming-coming-to-pc-and-mac

quote:

Nvidia has announced a substantial revamp of its GeForce Now cloud-based streaming service. The system is set for a March relaunch, allowing you to stream your existing PC games library from the cloud. On stage at the CES keynote, Nvidia boss Jen-Hsun Huang showed Rise of the Tomb Raider running from Steam on a Mac, streamed from a datacentre running GPUs based on the firm's latest Pascal-based architecture.

The idea is simple - and remarkably similar to the original OnLive pitch. This is all about taking the expensive gaming hardware out of your home, relocating it to the cloud and letting the service provider take care of aspects such as upgrading the system. The user simply streams the output of the server to their home over the internet. The kicker is the price: Nvidia is charging based on the time spent using the system, with costs starting at $25 for around 20 hours of gameplay. If you want access to more powerful Pascal-based hardware, you'll get fewer hours of gameplay.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

oohhboy posted:

Not exactly Drivers, but Nvidia hasn't forgotten Macs.

Wow, maybe they should have.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

dont be mean to me posted:

Wow, maybe they should have.

Yeah, that is some serious bullshit right there. $25 for 20 hours and not even the top end hardware?

DawntoDust
Dec 11, 2006

Glory is Fleeting,
Obscurity is Forever

frytechnician posted:

Yeah, that is some serious bullshit right there. $25 for 20 hours and not even the top end hardware?

Precisely why one builds a very nice dual-boot system for what roughly 50 hours of that bullshit costs

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm fully set up with my T420 with a proper wifi-card. How exactly do you handle upgrades? Just download and install from the App-store?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

YouTuber posted:

I'm fully set up with my T420 with a proper wifi-card. How exactly do you handle upgrades? Just download and install from the App-store?

With my T420, I usually check this thread first to see if it breaks anything and THEN just go via App Store.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I haven't been able to use OSX for about a month, thanks to owning a GPU that's too new for El Cap. What's funny is some people have gotten theirs to work, but everyone points you to the same 170 page (and growing) TonyMac thread that was started when Sierra was just a gold master and the information within has changed dramatically and the first post is incredibly out of date.

But then I had to RMA my GPU, so I thought, "surely this will work with Intel graphics!"

Well, yes and no. Acceleration works, but audio doesn't. Also, my endless tweaking following the directions of people at Tony's now means that my system does an incredibly slow logged/verbose boot no matter what config.plist I use. I made sure verbose was off in the file and everything. v:shobon:v

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like the latest security update messed up my shutdown/restart. I get a black screen and a movable mouse cursor and that's it. Anybody ran into this problem in another build that might have applicable information?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never mind. The OSX didn't anticipate that I would restart so soon after booting so it couldn't do an house keeping. I only had to let MD5 workers and Kext_cache run it's course to fix Shutdown/Restart.

The update nailed USB overdrive, but The developer should patch it in time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

That security update is a special patch that fixes a bug where the goddamn kernel crashes under specific conditions- a perfect example of how Apple just doesn't give much of a poo poo anymore, or does depending on your point of view.

It's so pervasive that they had to rewrite, what, 700MB of code?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I am still working on a successor to this thread. Lots has changed, and I hope to get said successor posted this week. In the mean time, the Tony guide is surprisingly not terrible anymore.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Looking forward to it. My Yosemite upgraded in place to El Capitan upgraded in place to Sierra install is still going strong but i'm going to do a clean install soon, just because, ya know?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

gently caress nvidia for not updating the web driver with Pascal support.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Can understand why you're upset, but you really should look at nVidia's Mac web driver development current state as a blessing for several reasons:

1) There isn't a single nVidia product in any currently selling Mac desktop or laptop. What's in it for them?

2) Also pretty sure the market for Mac aftermarket video cards is not significant enough for them to bother unless Apple is still paying them to maintain drivers for legacy hardware in the new OSes.

3) nVidia still regularly updates pre-Pascal video card Mac drivers _and_ CUDA for two OSes, El Capitan and Sierra. Why? Perhaps for the reason cited above, or they're just biding their time keeping ready until Apple does someday decide to slap nVidia chips back into their products.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

That's a fair justification for why nVidia isn't down for it, but I don't see anything that qualifies as a blessing there.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

That's a fair justification for why nVidia isn't down for it, but I don't see anything that qualifies as a blessing there.

The blessing is that nVidia still bothers to update web drivers for a system they have no financial stake, currently selling hardware for (at least with Apple's blessing,) or profit from.

Programmers gots to get paid to write drivers.

There's (probably) no money coming from Apple to pay them, nVidia may either have projects in the loop for Apple or an existing maintenance contract to update Sierra drivers for legacy hardware, or there's a kind-hearted engineer creating the web drivers.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I just gave up and bought a cheap b-stock EVGA 980ti when they were clearing them out. The 980ti is still a beast and it delays me having to abandon my hackintosh longer.

I totally understand nVidia not supporting Pascal yet. My hope is that they're keeping the Mac driver warm hoping for a contract for an upcoming product.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

8ender posted:

I just gave up and bought a cheap b-stock EVGA 980ti when they were clearing them out. The 980ti is still a beast and it delays me having to abandon my hackintosh longer.

I totally understand nVidia not supporting Pascal yet. My hope is that they're keeping the Mac driver warm hoping for a contract for an upcoming product.

Considering that Apple has done nothing to dispel rumors of ARM macOS (maybe it's still general-purpose but don't hold your breath), I doubt there's room for nVidia to come back into it.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

8ender posted:

I really hope that the next iMac ships with a Vega GPU, I'm stuck on a 980 for the forseeable future, but I want an AMD card so that it runs FCP X more reliably.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I've heard some things about Filevault 2 being enabled on the newest versions of clover. Anyone have any experience with it? How's it working so far?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Considering that Apple has done nothing to dispel rumors of ARM macOS (maybe it's still general-purpose but don't hold your breath), I doubt there's room for nVidia to come back into it.
Apple almost never does anything to dispel rumors, so this shouldn't be taken as confirmation.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Apple almost never does anything to dispel rumors, so this shouldn't be taken as confirmation.

Yeah, pretty much the only time they do comment on rumors is if things get carried away before a big keynote so that the street doesn't get pissy when they don't announce a transparent iphone or whatever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

XPS 13 9350

https://github.com/syscl/XPS9350-macOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

enMTW posted:

I am still working on a successor to this thread. Lots has changed, and I hope to get said successor posted this week. In the mean time, the Tony guide is surprisingly not terrible anymore.
Look forward to it. It might be time to upgrade, so perfect timing!

EDIT: I assume you're saying the Tony guide using Clover versus UniBeast?

Sasquatch! fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 3, 2017