Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Casual mind invasion" is sort of every psychic in a nutshell to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
She did learn from the best.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

algebra testes posted:

I was like super not into Extraordinary for the longest while and then one week it just clicked for me around the time Magic killed the little girl.
...So like, basically when the entire series is almost over? :v:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Rhyno posted:

The other four have all gotten somewhat interesting stories and the only thing she's gotten is an insane doppleganger from another alternate future.

Actually, she didn't even get that. It was a mental construct by the insane alternate future child of Xavier.
So she got a person who was pretending they had an insane doppelganger from another alternate future with them.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 15, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KaosMachina posted:

Actually, she didn't even get that. It was a mental construct by the insane alternate future child of Xavier.
So she got a person who was pretending they had an insane doppelganger from another alternate future with them.

When did they retcon that?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

When did they retcon that?

I had to actually look this up on the marvel wiki, because I couldn't remember the specifics, buuuuut...

The Marvel Wiki posted:

Following Charles Xavier II and the Future Brotherhood failure when attempting to assassinate Cyclops's force in Weapon X base, Jean Grey took off her Xorn helmet. However, revealing that there has been nothing behind the mask, Jean Grey indeed died during the battle of Cape Citadel, thus Emma Frost stated that the Jean Grey they saw in Weapon X base was only a muppet "made" by him, and Jean Grey's armor then started falling apart..

X-Men, y'all.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

...So like, basically when the entire series is almost over? :v:

Yup pretty much.

I don't know why it took me so long to "get" it. The fact that Bloodshot: Reborn is so excellent means that I just kept plugging away at it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That panel is going to get so much use

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KaosMachina posted:

I had to actually look this up on the marvel wiki, because I couldn't remember the specifics, buuuuut...

X-Men, y'all.

I don't recall that, it wasn't in Battle of the Atom. So there was still a grown young Jean that came back in time going on that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Speaking of Xorns, was there any attempt to reconcile the current more or less "anti-hero" Magneto with what he did towards the end of Morrison's New X-Men?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xorn was a guy who thought he was Magneto. He did that stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Speaking of Xorns, was there any attempt to reconcile the current more or less "anti-hero" Magneto with what he did towards the end of Morrison's New X-Men?

Aphrodite posted:

Xorn was a guy who thought he was Magneto. He did that stuff.

Yeah, Xorn just sort of thought he was Magneto so it made him look like Magneto and have all of his memories or something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

First they said Xorn was altered by Scarlet Witch subconsciously as she was messing with reality pre-House of M.

But nobody liked that so they changed it to Xorn choosing to copy Magneto because he knew people would follow him and that the world needed a Magneto.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Xorn was right.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My favorite thing about Morrison's X-men was them all mainlining Sublime.

That and getting Scott and Emma together.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I love that Morrison blew up Magneto and Xorn as usable characters at the end of his run and Marvel IMMEDIATELY turned around and bullshitted a way for them both to still be around and protagonists, even though one of them wasn't intended to even be a real person.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was a different Xorn.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, so we sort of know who Xorn is, but who's Zorn?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know...at the time, Xorn being Magneto pretending to be Xorn felt like such a massive bullshit retcon of unbelievable proportions that threw the entirety of the world into a labyrinthine blended mess. This was when I first really, seriously started getting into comics.

Nowadays...we see half-assed convoluted retcons like that happen every other month or so and the Xorneto mess is more like, oh yeah, which one was that again? :v:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Aphrodite posted:

That was a different Xorn.

Yeah, I know. It being a different Xorn who incidentally looks and sounds and acts exactly like the first one was their bullshit explanation to keep him around. Morrison's big reveal was "AHA XORN IS REALLY MAGNETO" but then like 3 months later it was "NO ACTUALLY IT WAS NEITHER XORN NOR MAGNETO BUT A DIFFERENT IDENTICAL XORN PRETENDING TO BE MAGNETO PRETENDING TO BE XORN ALSO MAGNETO IS ALIVE"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

I love that Morrison blew up Magneto and Xorn as usable characters at the end of his run and Marvel IMMEDIATELY turned around and bullshitted a way for them both to still be around and protagonists, even though one of them wasn't intended to even be a real person.

Almost as if the ancient disease that could, druglike, bring the thrill of reaching greater heights, but also burn out and kill a person or idea was...profit motive?!?

Morrison's Marvel poo poo (see also: Marvel Boy) struggled a lot with the costs vs. benefits of corporatism and associated concepts, and given his later Action Comics work (where exploiting intellectual property is the work of cosmic villainy), it seems like he never completely made his peace with it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, I know. It being a different Xorn who incidentally looks and sounds and acts exactly like the first one was their bullshit explanation to keep him around. Morrison's big reveal was "AHA XORN IS REALLY MAGNETO" but then like 3 months later it was "NO ACTUALLY IT WAS NEITHER XORN NOR MAGNETO BUT A DIFFERENT IDENTICAL XORN PRETENDING TO BE MAGNETO PRETENDING TO BE XORN ALSO MAGNETO IS ALIVE"

They were twins.

And they did it because people liked Xorn and nobody was happy with Morrison's lovely Hitler thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Magneto as a former bad guy being a good guy but mostly still a bad guy is a better direction anyways. I really love that issue where he saves Kitty.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Magneto being Xorn was a cool idea.

Magneto putting people into gas chambers was uh... not.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

JoshTheStampede posted:

:suicide:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

So what you're saying is, it was Xorn's identical twin, pretending to be Xorn, pretending to be Magneto, pretending to be Xorn.

Is it wrong I want someone to go back and revisit this and throw another layer onto it just to make it more complicated for comedy's sake?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KaosMachina posted:

So what you're saying is, it was Xorn's identical twin, pretending to be Xorn, pretending to be Magneto, pretending to be Xorn.

Is it wrong I want someone to go back and revisit this and throw another layer onto it just to make it more complicated for comedy's sake?

Like making him a Summers brother?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rhyno posted:

Like making him a Summers brother?

Redundant, but tie him into Mr. Sinister.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

KaosMachina posted:

Okay, so we sort of know who Xorn is, but who's Zorn?

Defender of Zephyria, Conqueror of the tribes of Agon, and Decapitator of the Dark Herdsmen of Grith.

I mean, obviously.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JoshTheStampede posted:

When they come to make the film, Xorn should be Robert Downey, Jr. playing Tony Stark playing Xorn playing Magneto playing Xorn because it turns out X-Men is fiction in-universe in the MCU.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I read all this xorn BS you all typed and it convinced me that the only good X-Men is Ultimate X-Men.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

KaosMachina posted:

Landfill? You're alive?

No, I'm not Landfill. I'm Landfill's twin brother, Gil.

Gil? -Gil?

I taught Landfill everything he knew about drinking beer.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Speaking of MagXornEto, this weeks issue of All-New features Young Cyclops getting a glimpse in Magneto's head, and the memories he sees include ripping Wolverines metal out, his childhood in the concentration camp, and...destroying NY after ripping off the Xorn helmet.

Shouldn't actual Magneto not have that memory since it wasn't really him?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Speaking of MagXornEto, this weeks issue of All-New features Young Cyclops getting a glimpse in Magneto's head, and the memories he sees include ripping Wolverines metal out, his childhood in the concentration camp, and...destroying NY after ripping off the Xorn helmet.

Shouldn't actual Magneto not have that memory since it wasn't really him?

You're probably right, but something something clones and time travel and merged memories and whatever bullshit they did to redeem Jean Grey before she came back and died again, and also this is technically a completely different universe than what took place before Secret Wars because everything blew up and Franklin Richards had to make it out of scratch.

In retrospect, having a bunch of people worried in universe about the time displaced X-kids running around at the same time Hickman was writing Avengers is loving hilarious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Franklin having no clue how Xorn worked is perfectly sound logic.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Wasn't Xorn weirdness at some point confirmed to be the result of Scarlet Witch faffing around with reality?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was the first attempted fix but it was not well received so it was changed to a "the world needs a Magneto" plan by Xorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
So I'm about halfway through Bendis's X-Men run and I don't understand the hate it gets at all. I'm liking it a lot.

Only thing I don't like is the art in the Uncanny X-Men books.

• Locked thread