Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

here are the other hourlies you may enjoy if you like cool and funny things, as i do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Liking Jojo AND Yakuza?

He's a man after my own heart.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I mean the dude put stands into his webcomic, of course he's into the JoJo

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Update
faces are...... good!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So is this a roundabout way of this kid joining the blackmailing Max train? She doesn't have photographic evidence like Suzy did, I don't think she'd represent a bigger problem than any of the other kids. Can't really figure where this is going.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I think she's trying to show a sincere appreciation of Max's coolness and wants to be his friend. At least that's what I hope.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Dolash posted:

So is this a roundabout way of this kid joining the blackmailing Max train? She doesn't have photographic evidence like Suzy did, I don't think she'd represent a bigger problem than any of the other kids. Can't really figure where this is going.

Where it's going is she has a crush on Max.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Pretty sure Zack has said that there's never going to be any romance in the comic, so if she's got a crush on Max it's a one-sided thing that'll be played for laughs.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Dolash posted:

I'm not entirely sure where this is going either, but if the bottom row of panels mean anything I think the alt-text might be quite literally be what's about to happen.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Falstaff posted:

Pretty sure Zack has said that there's never going to be any romance in the comic, so if she's got a crush on Max it's a one-sided thing that'll be played for laughs.

I mean one character literally has cupid powers and spent her last scene sort of seducing one of the people she's investigating, but yeah, I expect it'll mostly stay in the realm of Max / Ghost Train played for laughs.

Still though, Lord of Hats isn't wrong that she sounded a little crush-ish. But maybe not. She is, after all, a little weird.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Falstaff posted:

He said that like 5 years ago or something to be fair

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Come on now, surely his plans haven't changed that much during the hitball arc!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Falstaff posted:

Are you sure he didn't mean between the kids? Because there's already something going on with Day and Zarei.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

oh, so that's where this is going. (Update)

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 3, 2017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You monster I thought we got another one :mad:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

You monster I thought we got another one :mad:

wait we actually did but I tried to link the page number instead of just to the site, but I guess that doesn't function correctly or something. Try now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

VerdantSquire posted:

wait we actually did but I tried to link the page number instead of just to the site, but I guess that doesn't function correctly or something. Try now.
Someone already linked it. :ssh:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Someone already linked it. :ssh:

Oh, for some reason when I refreshed the page yesterday that update didn't show up. That's kind of hosed up.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

VerdantSquire posted:

Oh, for some reason when I refreshed the page yesterday that update didn't show up. That's kind of hosed up.

It went up extremely late last night, so most people only saw it this morning.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

1130 is extremely late, to grandpa and meemas maybe

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Pants Donkey posted:

Are you sure he didn't mean between the kids? Because there's already something going on with Day and Zarei.

IIRC, it was specifically about the kids, yes.

Countblanc posted:

This is also true.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i bet she's going to ask max how to make herself cool.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the promise has been made

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, wait, did she just mention the bus incident in front of a horrible secret monger, a member of a student organization that's been hunting Max down, and someone who's working directly for a person who's looking to dig up dirt on Max(despite the fact that they already knew)?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

RandallODim posted:

I kinda don't give a poo poo about this girl? Or Flipflop? Or any new characters at this point in any meaningful sense? Paranatural is fun as a biweekly snark and funny faces dispensing machine, but the continual piling on of more and more people has me losing interest in it at a narrative level just for how bogged down it's getting.

loving hell dude you have a homestuck avatar

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Venuz Patrol posted:

And perhaps he's learned from that experience :v:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Venuz Patrol posted:

Captain Oblivious posted:

And perhaps he's learned from that experience :v:

Andrew Hussie got bilked of my kickstarter money because he was too busy introducing new trolls and since then I hate all new characters in anything ever.

Also I've got other things to spend :10bux: on than changing a picture on the internet to something equally stupid and self-satisfying.

Also I still don't care about this new girl and would rather be advancing any of the narrative threads already running, but maybe I just made a mistake thinking Paranatural wasn't literally going to develop the pacing of a weekly manga and take decades to finish.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Once bitten, twice shy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know, the new girl might actually be related to an existing plot thread. By which I mean we know she is because "Max deals with the VP and Student Council being after him for bus-jumping" is already a thing and she's part of that, not some new and unexpected twist starting a plot we've never seen before probably.

Good grief people. Sometimes existing plot threads involve characters who previously weren't important. This isn't some phenomenon unique to Paranatural, it happens in pretty much every work of fiction.

It's like people are looking for things to complain about now.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Roland Jones posted:

It's like people are looking for things to complain about now.

I think it's the glacial pacing of updates making the slow burn aspects more of an issue for me than they might be otherwise, but you know what, you're right. I'm gonna tap out on the comic for a while and see where things are in a few months.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Let's not get riled up y'all.

Everyone needs to come to terms with the fact that this funny comic also happens to have the pacing of a snail with ADHD.

I feel like Zach's method of breaking through his writer's block isn't helping. He should probably stick to a more straightforward variant of Chandler's Law and try to introduce complications into the scene he's currently writing rather than changing the scene or introducing another character whenever he's in a rut.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I'm not getting a sense of writer's block here, all of what's going on was set up well enough that I was able to call exactly who sent the note. Zach has a plan, he wanted everything to be this complex and silly, he's setting things up for the future. Right now the problem is we don't yet know why so many of these scenes are needed to set up the chapter's climax. I'm guessing that at the moment the point of nerd girl is that she's just gonna be earnest and at first Max is paranoid but relaxes, which will give him an epiphany about how to approach Issac.

Webcomic pacing is an odd beast because the real world time between updates exacerbates the perception of slowness. I'm willing to see how the chapter plays out before I pass judgement but I will admit that I'm kind of getting impatient for us to return to Issac and Mr. Garcia because I think that's gonna have larger consequences than Hijack. We've been hanging from this cliff since August and my grip's getting tired.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Akett posted:

I'm not getting a sense of writer's block here, all of what's going on was set up well enough that I was able to call exactly who sent the note. Zach has a plan, he wanted everything to be this complex and silly, he's setting things up for the future. Right now the problem is we don't yet know why so many of these scenes are needed to set up the chapter's climax. I'm guessing that at the moment the point of nerd girl is that she's just gonna be earnest and at first Max is paranoid but relaxes, which will give him an epiphany about how to approach Issac.

Webcomic pacing is an odd beast because the real world time between updates exacerbates the perception of slowness. I'm willing to see how the chapter plays out before I pass judgement but I will admit that I'm kind of getting impatient for us to return to Issac and Mr. Garcia because I think that's gonna have larger consequences than Hijack. We've been hanging from this cliff since August and my grip's getting tired.

I was really speaking more in general, not necessarily about this character per se. I don't doubt that Zack has a plan and knows all of the pieces to put into place, and most of the pacing issues would fade away when read in bulk, but I do wonder if on the drawing board the plan could've withstood a couple passes of killing his darlings. That's one of the perils of being a new writer and learning on the fly, you've got all these great ideas and you want to fit them all in now, but giving in to that urge causes the story to grow and bloat. Sometimes watching a story sort of explode this way through organic improv could be fun but that's not a guarantee.

I'm mostly just here for characters being witty at each other with expressive faces so I'm not too put off by the pacing issues. But by now they're obvious enough that even a fairly well-foreshadowed development like this still feels disappointing to people who were wondering about one of the half dozen other little plot threads being juggled right now.

And as an aside, yeah, this topic is well-trod territory for this thread but what can you do?

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 5, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This thread need an editor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Splicer posted:

Kojima managed without one and so will we.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Splicer posted:

Would that be a threaditor?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Extreme Update.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

That's the most sincere we've seen Max for ages.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

i hope shred eagle is a recurring character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
shred eagle definitely died on set and is definitely a ghost which will appear in approximately 17 years.