Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

As a huge fan of the Raidou Kuzunoha spinoff series I literally could not be MORE for the idea of Taro Yoko directing an entry in it.

I'd settle for more Raidou alone :v:

Anyone buying Day 1 or The Black Box Edition? How do the DLC codes for your robot buddy work? Is it the same as FFXV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

There's been so much dang cool 2B fanart and 80% of it is upskirt so I feel weird sharing it.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

my cat is norris posted:

There's been so much dang cool 2B fanart and 80% of it is upskirt so I feel weird sharing it.

We've got a thread for fanart that is both weird and cool!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683299

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I downloaded the Automata demo on a whim not knowing anything about nier a few days back, played through it not realizing at all it was made by the Bayonetta team and now am super looking forward to the release. I then went on a binge watching a LP of nier and some wiki diving and I have a question which may or may not have an answer?

So, since Gestalt Nier is dead/gone, the the world is effectively doomed as all remaining gestalts will go feral, thus causing their associated replicants to get the black scrawl and die right? So with this in mind how exactly is there some humans/androids left for Automata? Or is this supposed to be a mystery?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

I downloaded the Automata demo on a whim not knowing anything about nier a few days back, played through it not realizing at all it was made by the Bayonetta team and now am super looking forward to the release. I then went on a binge watching a LP of nier and some wiki diving and I have a question which may or may not have an answer?

So, since Gestalt Nier is dead/gone, the the world is effectively doomed as all remaining gestalts will go feral, thus causing their associated replicants to get the black scrawl and die right? So with this in mind how exactly is there some humans/androids left for Automata? Or is this supposed to be a mystery?

Mystery.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there are inter-dimensional android time police in this universe so anything is possible

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

I don't think Gestalt Nier was important at that point. He was only important initially because he was the first successful test case for separating soul from body, and they had since figured out how to do that on a mass scale (hence all the shades about). In Devola's and Popola's notes they mentioned holding back on re-uniting the gestalts with their replicant bodies because they were waiting for a bacterial disease to die out. Then in the meantime the replicants started to develop sapience and the gestalts started going bonkers which kind of put the kibosh on the reunification plans.

In the Japan-only novellas (which are fan translated) the remaining gestalts and replicants end up annihilated by the attacking aliens and then sometime after true humans appear. So it could be something as mundane as "they didn't actually die and just started reunification" or something crazy. Only Sith Lord Yoko Taro knows.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Genocyber posted:

I don't think Gestalt Nier was important at that point. He was only important initially because he was the first successful test case for separating soul from body, and they had since figured out how to do that on a mass scale (hence all the shades about). In Devola's and Popola's notes they mentioned holding back on re-uniting the gestalts with their replicant bodies because they were waiting for a bacterial disease to die out. Then in the meantime the replicants started to develop sapience and the gestalts started going bonkers which kind of put the kibosh on the reunification plans.

In the Japan-only novellas (which are fan translated) the remaining gestalts and replicants end up annihilated by the attacking aliens and then sometime after true humans appear. So it could be something as mundane as "they didn't actually die and just started reunification" or something crazy. Only Sith Lord Yoko Taro knows.

Now granted this comes not from any true understanding on the matter, but rather just regurgitating what I read on the wiki's but its stated that only gestalt nier has the magic maso mumbo jumbo thats used to treat the gestalts from going feral, and without him(and without the android twins) there can be no more applications of it, and that is the act that would seemingly doom everyone/everything.

As for the other thing I guess?! I don't know I went from knowing nothing about this stuff to taking in a massive dump and full lp watch in 48 hours cause it was super fascinating to me.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I can't cite a source right now but I recall a claim based on some secondary material that Nier 1's shenanigans botched the reunification process in Japan and all the gestalts and replicants there died, but it went on successfully elsewhere hence there being true humans again.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Let's be serious here.

SMT is already incredibly hosed up. Hand him a mainline title. I wanna see.

He'd just alter the Neutral path so everybody dies and it's all your fault cause you were indecisive.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Genocyber posted:

They make it pretty clear that the Original Gestalt is a crutch and the only one that ever worked so instead of perfecting the technique they rushed it and all gestalts that weren't bonded to their replicant by androids elsewhere before his death are doomed.

Also I assume you mean a novel other than the goofy one with Emil and flying saucers? Because IIRC that didn't mention humans

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Did anyone hear the PA going on and the characters going "Heh machines they're just spouting nonsense" and immediately think of the NIER 1 twist

Edit: In the demo when some warning messages come on. Also the boss tries to talk

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 16, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

No Mods No Masters posted:

I can't cite a source right now but I recall a claim based on some secondary material that Nier 1's shenanigans botched the reunification process in Japan and all the gestalts and replicants there died, but it went on successfully elsewhere hence there being true humans again.
Yeah, I think it was that Nier 1 dealt with the only source of stabilizing material in Japan but elsewhere the androids were either upfront with the Replicants or just better shepherds and they figured out how to reunify them.

So what I'm saying is, this game might take place in the ruins of America :911:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
A weird number of Japanese properties take place in a future where Japan & the Japanese people have been destroyed, but the rest of the world is fine.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Getting nuked twice does a lot to your culture

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Finally purchased a PS4 and I liked the demo. I esp like the OST as I'd never played a Nier game before. Also helped with the nice VA. I'm looking forward to it in March before P5.

let's have some cute fanart in the meantime:

https://twitter.com/laaaicha/status/808284964177539072

https://twitter.com/kitsune23sta/status/813929511725232128

Alder fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 20, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any way (I have a ps3 and an xbox 360) to get one of the original nier games (which one is the best?) for $20 or less? I only see it on disc, and only for like $40+.

edit: gamestop had it on ps3 for 18 + 6 for shipping. That's like twelve less than the other cheapest I saw, so I got that.

redreader fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 20, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's only one Nier game (so far) in the West, and the only differences between the Japanese versions is that you play as Papa Nier in the 360 versions, and Bro Nier in the PS3 version. You only play as Papa Nier in the western games, no matter the console.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Papa Nier is the best anyways, so lucky you,

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

As much as I like the idea of a dumb JRPG kid growing up to be Caim I love dadNier's arm warmers too much.

Anyways the closer we get to launch the more it takes me by surprise just how hard they've managed to hit a mainstream audience with prerelease marketing. In a way that makes me hope for something utterly unmarketable in the game proper so a wider audience will be hit with something totally unexpected.

Nina fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 20, 2017

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

So, there's supposed to be multiple characters right? Do we have any idea how they might be different? Like different weapons or the same weapons but different combos?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's gonna be different types of stages, I'd assume. 2B will be the standard action stages like the demo, while 9S will have stages like the ending of the demo, and the last playable character will have other types of stages.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

When demoing the game they switched characters on the fly so I wouldn't be surprised you could just swap to anyone in your party at will eventually. The gameplay didn't seem to change but that could as well be different in the full game.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
https://www.pcgamesn.com/nier-automata/nier-remaster

No news for PC version, but “There is a very high possibility” of a NieR remaster if Automata “sells like hotcakes” :allears:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kaislioc posted:

No news for PC version, but “There is a very high possibility” of a NieR remaster if Automata “sells like hotcakes” :allears:

I wouldn't really mind a delayed PC version but I hope that the port will be good at least. It would be a shame to get a lovely PC port after all this.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'd be surprised if this doesn't run on the same tech as MGR, bayonetta etc.

(MGR worked great)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

I'd be surprised if this doesn't run on the same tech as MGR, bayonetta etc.

(MGR worked great)

MGR had a pretty decent port. If Automata runs as well as MGR did on PC then I'll be satisfied.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What with all the talk of futility and such in the trailers I'm going to go out on a limb and say [spoiler] Humanity did die out and the Androids are following pointless directives made by this long dead. Bonus points if the alien robots are i the same situation. [spoiler]

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Nina posted:

When demoing the game they switched characters on the fly so I wouldn't be surprised you could just swap to anyone in your party at will eventually. The gameplay didn't seem to change but that could as well be different in the full game.

The developers said in one of the demonstrations (the desert level one, the game crashed during the interview) that you cannot choose characters but you will play as different ones as you advance in the story

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

galagazombie posted:

What with all the talk of futility and such in the trailers I'm going to go out on a limb and say [spoiler] Humanity did die out and the Androids are following pointless directives made by this long dead. Bonus points if the alien robots are i the same situation. [spoiler]

You hosed up your spoilers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kaislioc posted:

i'd need something interesting about it besides higher resolution graphics to get excited to pay for it again but i'd hope pc players could get a crack at it cause its drat good so whatever

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I hope I haven't asked this too late, but is the demo time-limited or is it just ... a demo... that will last forever? I have nier and I am playing it now (I'm at the sand temple, how far am I?) and want to finish it then play the demo.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

redreader posted:

I hope I haven't asked this too late, but is the demo time-limited or is it just ... a demo... that will last forever? I have nier and I am playing it now (I'm at the sand temple, how far am I?) and want to finish it then play the demo.

There's no expiration date for the demo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

redreader posted:

you're not that far into the game. you'll know when you are at the half way point because its epic as gently caress and a total energy reset for the plot.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It doesn't seem to be a timed-release demo, so don't rush things. If you're taking on the temple looking for the prince, I'd say you're just shy of the halfway point. I think that's the last major story beat before the midpoint.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Real hurthling! posted:

i'd need something interesting about it besides higher resolution graphics to get excited to pay for it again but i'd hope pc players could get a crack at it cause its drat good so whatever

Ideally, I'd like platinum to redo all the gameplay content, but leave all the story intact and as is.

Basically, just update graphics and make it play better.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i still can't believe how many reviews of nier obviously stopped playing before the mansion kicks off the gameplay experimentation

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lest we forget that one reviewer called the game absolute garbage because he was too loving dumb to follow a marker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Real hurthling! posted:

i still can't believe how many reviews of nier obviously stopped playing before the mansion kicks off the gameplay experimentation

Oh yeah I went to the mansion but can't get inside. I suppose that's a bit later. I'm in the temple searching for the prince as someone above said.