Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

While I agree with Alan in that it wouldn't be a Stephen King story without killer inanimate objects, and who can hate fighting a possessed bulldozer, I was about done with that gimmick by the time I died for the 4th time to a table or a pipe gently rolling into me after bouncing off the wall behind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It's not turtles, but Alan Wakes all the way down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Now I'm wondering what would happen if Alan- the trapped in the darkness writing this game Alan -wrote a story in which he is writing himself on the next 'layer' up. Like, what if he wrote a story wherein he is dictating what he is currently writing in the real world? What are the limitations of the darkness' reality bending powers? Could he sacrifice himself to trap it forever by way of infinite recursion??

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 3, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

Now I'm wondering what would happen if Alan- the trapped in the darkness writing this game Alan -wrote a story in which he is writing himself on the next 'layer' up. Like, what if he wrote a story wherein he is dictating what he is currently writing in the real world? What are the limitations of the darkness' reality bending powers? Could he sacrifice himself to trap it forever by way of infinite recursion??

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I have no membranes and I must bleed.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

It all depends on whether the two Alans will continue to trade places or just continue on with their lives after making the swap.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

It isn't much, but you can look around some coal sites on your way to the coal mine. I thought it was yet another death drop since there is nothing there.

There was an incorrect wood texture in the rock. There is also a very long path below the road that leads to a dead end.

A thing of note are that a number of trees in the background on your way to the train yard, seem to be pixels and turn to face your direction when you move around. The dead sprites do the same thing in the first Doom.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The problem with that is that he's not just trying to stop the Darkness, he's trying to do so in a way that saves Alice. If all he cared about was the Darkness there would probably be easier ways to deal with it, but doing so and getting Alice out safely requires a very specific kind of story.

At least that's the impression I get.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
Finally caught up and a bit late to the party, but in lieu of more Thermy fanart (because I cannot draw), I instead present this hymn for the Skyboat, blessed be its engine

O beata barca caelis
Defere nostrum tranquillam aquam
Luce una lucam in tenebrum
Decori Skippy Granola
Amen

Oh blessed sky boat
Deliver us from still waters
Cast a light into the darkness
By the grace of Skippy Granola
Amen

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I'm either surprised or disappointed in the lack of a "the car honked it's own horn" reference.

The battle with inanimate objects is so silly yet also so great. On one hand you are fitting pipes and junk that randomly launch toward Alan or a bulldozer that lightly brushes against Alan. On the other it provides the player with another enemy type and continues this self-deprecating self-awareness about Alan Wake and Stephen King. Stephen King making a monster out of some random object is an somewhat inaccurate caricature (e.g. early Family Guy had that joke about King writing a book about a killer lamp). The caricature is not entirely wrong and, as such, has worked its way into the shared view of who King is to the point where if you were to ask someone who had never read a King story or book to describe a King story or book, this person would probably talk about a killer lamp.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Mr. Highway posted:

I'm either surprised or disappointed in the lack of a "the car honked it's own horn" reference.

The battle with inanimate objects is so silly yet also so great. On one hand you are fitting pipes and junk that randomly launch toward Alan or a bulldozer that lightly brushes against Alan. On the other it provides the player with another enemy type and continues this self-deprecating self-awareness about Alan Wake and Stephen King. Stephen King making a monster out of some random object is an somewhat inaccurate caricature (e.g. early Family Guy had that joke about King writing a book about a killer lamp). The caricature is not entirely wrong and, as such, has worked its way into the shared view of who King is to the point where if you were to ask someone who had never read a King story or book to describe a King story or book, this person would probably talk about a killer lamp.

When in fact all his books are about loving aliens.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Skippy Granola posted:

When in fact all his books are about loving aliens oh-so-troubled authors.

FTFY

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XnuhIu5dvM

Hmm...

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I am so bad at that game. I look forward to that project.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm generally not a fan of Suda51's games, but I am vaguely curious about Let it Die.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Neeeveeer miiiiiiind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDcqItcpPSI

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well, that's a pretty damning review for a game. The sudden about face almost makes it sound like the developer ran over your dog over the weekend but I can completely sympathize with getting sick of the tedious grinding just to try and get ahead. Guess they need to get people to cough up some cash somehow though...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think what truly turned my opinion around on it is a combination of being "on" while i was on camera and recording etc, and only being able to record at specific times after I had done my grinding. When I was playing the game for fun and beat it the first time, I didn't mind the grinding because I could just watch TV or a let's play or listen to podcasts or whathaveyou. But because of trying to let's play it I became much more aware of its flaws, I had to become much more invested. Instead of playing it like I play games (as a way to relax), I played it to actually win. And then it became clear that Let It Die does not want you to win.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It will be a little while till the next episode, I had some life stuff happen and I was crushed by Let it Die so Skippy and I didn't get to record this weekend, so I have no backlog right now. That said, you have this to look forward to now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXGwlifm4yc

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I am looking forward to this, especially with your correct opinions about the threaded Cane

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
What is the song from that trailer? I kinda dig it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's 'Kiss the Sky' by Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra. It's good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pHQuCezmLE

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
CJacobs let Let's Play Let It Die die, leading to carstream, which then revealed that:

The C stands for Car.

...it also stands for Cuack.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fish Noise posted:

CJacobs let Let's Play Let It Die die, leading to carstream, which then revealed that:

The C stands for Car.

...it also stands for Cuack.

:vince:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Turns out the illness I was having was kidney stones again, this time in my other kidney. Hopefully after this they will all have been flushed out and I will be free of them. So, no videos for a while longer, sorry. Less pain this time, more nausea! I have my very own bucket!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWx6wsLTU8Y

In the meantime, here is the burnout paradise eurobeat stream I did. You should watch it, it's entertaining.

Razer K
Oct 19, 2012

Eaten by a Yoshi

CJacobs posted:

In the meantime, here is the burnout paradise eurobeat stream I did. You should watch it, it's entertaining.

While no Europeans were harmed in the making of this stream, they were probably offended. (Eurobeat is good, I'm so sorry.)

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Turns out the illness I was having was kidney stones again, this time in my other kidney. Hopefully after this they will all have been flushed out and I will be free of them. So, no videos for a while longer, sorry. Less pain this time, more nausea! I have my very own bucket!

I'm so sorry this keeps happening to you. What preventative measures can be taken to stop this from happening again-again?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bman in 2288 posted:

I'm so sorry this keeps happening to you. What preventative measures can be taken to stop this from happening again-again?

Well, according to my doctor this time it's because I always had stones in both kidneys, these just hadn't decided to start making their way downtown yet. But for the future basically it's just eat healthier, exercise more, drink water all day every day. I already dropped the soda and coffee (sorry Alan!) quite some time ago but I'm sure there's more I can do.

edit: That said, unfortunately since it's hereditary there's really not much I can do. Even if I eat as healthy as possible etc it might still happen again anyway! Just gotta remain optimistic that this will be the last time.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 14, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kidney stones... They're crystallized uric acid, no? Bummer in any case, chief.

Still, could be worse. I remember one goon regaling about their... pancreatic stones, I think? That's supposed to be hellishly painful.

Edit: Really unsure as to which organ it was, reflecting on it. I just remember the descriptions of the agony.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Well at least this explains why Cjacobs is going to Yharnam, I heard blood ministration can cure anything.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Stormgale posted:

Well at least this explains why Cjacobs is going to Yharnam, I heard blood ministration can cure anything.

Don't worry. Whatever happens, you may think it all a mere bad dream...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHFYjLVB_Ok

Streamed some Nioh! I will probably be doing laid back streams here and there while I am recovering, maybe more Nioh. So look forward to that!

edit: Oh hell yeah look at the cheesecake in that thumbnail

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Do you have a new mic or something? Because if you don't then drat, you sound like hell :ohdear: Hope things get better quickly for you soon.

If you do have anew mic, you need to return that poo poo ASAP :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

Do you have a new mic or something? Because if you don't then drat, you sound like hell :ohdear: Hope things get better quickly for you soon.

If you do have anew mic, you need to return that poo poo ASAP :v:

No, I don't have a new mic, my settings were all kinds of screwed up so my voice was clipping and stuff. But also I sound like poo poo anyway!

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
CJacobs, maybe you will pee out a miraculous stone... A Philosophers stone perhaps?

For real, hope you feel better!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CJacobs posted:

edit: That said, unfortunately since it's hereditary there's really not much I can do. Even if I eat as healthy as possible etc it might still happen again anyway! Just gotta remain optimistic that this will be the last time.

Well in that case, all cheese every day!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

:( Oh CJacobs. I'm sorry to hear about your janky rear end kidneys and their terrible ideas of what constitutes piss. And gently caress going to school in your condition, unless there's copious amounts of painkillers involved. Like, you're going to be distracted enough by the pain that you might not pay attention and what's the point of being there if you're too sick to be engaged? Ugh. Sometimes sick days are ok.

Haerc posted:

CJacobs, maybe you will pee out a miraculous stone... A Philosophers stone perhaps?

For real, hope you feel better!

If we're going the magic route, it might have to be the seventh stone of the seventh stone.... :v: Get to pissing, PissJacobs!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Haerc posted:

Having his urine turned to gold would explain his medical problems.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
We should pass along some kidney stone jokes to keep CJacobs entertained while he on the rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just call me PeeJacobs, it's easier that way.

• Locked thread