Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Stop using plastic for waterpump turbines and distributor gears you half-wits.

Stop using plastic for ANYTHING in the engine itself other than gaskets.

It works pretty well for intake manifolds dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It works pretty well for intake manifolds dude.

Not many moving parts on intake manifolds. I'd still rather it be made from aluminum or something.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

CommieGIR posted:

Alfa did this in a bunch of their early 2000s stuff. The water pump was run off the timing belt and would eventually cease up and take the valves with it. It was recommended you had it replaced with a metal one at the first belt change.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
For those who are interested, here is the UK government's white paper on Brexit:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa..._the_EU_Web.pdf

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

For those who are interested, here is the UK government's white paper on Brexit:

I'm only for it if I can still shoot a Welshman in a church ground with a longbow.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm just amazed it doesn't start with "Dear Santa..."

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I'm looking forward to my 14 weeks of holiday.

Edit: They've fixed it now.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

I'll give anyone a litre of beer if they can find a definitive action point anywhere in it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

spog posted:

I'll give anyone a litre of beer if they can find a definitive action point anywhere in it.

This is a government white paper, no bet.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Got home today and noticed the fine boquet of coolant run through combustion chambers in the general vicinity of my car. The reservoir was half empty despite the coolant being warm. Been having some power loss going up hills for the past week before this too. Engine rebuilt 80,000km ago by Mazda and I am leaning towards HG failure.

Why am I still driving this car?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Got home today and noticed the fine boquet of coolant run through combustion chambers in the general vicinity of my car. The reservoir was half empty despite the coolant being warm. Been having some power loss going up hills for the past week before this too. Engine rebuilt 80,000km ago by Mazda and I am leaning towards HG failure.

Why am I still driving this car?

Don't dealerships/OEMs only replace engines with crate replacements, rather than rebuilding, for exactly this reason? Or is Mazda a special snowflake in this regard? Or am I retarded?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Chain guides

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

InitialDave posted:

The whitest paper.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh. Bad mood so I broke my three year no McDonalds stint.

I think I'm gonna be sick for a month.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Should be made of loving Teflon or some other high strength/low wear material, not plastic.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

But that would add 15 cents, and the plastic ones are good enough to get it through warranty. Usually.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My friend just bought a 2010 RX-8 with 70k miles on it. I'm torn between loving him for buying literally the exact car I would if given the chance, or hate him for buying literally the exact car I would given the chance and for buying a loving 70k mile rx-8 that he'll be paying off over the next 5 years. Apparently after watching the salesman cane the poo poo out of it, another friend cane the poo poo out of it, then caning the poo poo out of it himself, he fell in love and had to have it. The "OH JESUS gently caress WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MYSELF" hit as he was buying stuff for it at work tonight. And realizing he had to put gas in it. And it wants premium. And gets 16 mpg city. All I could do was laugh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Go offer to help him work on it and when he steps away to do something snap the leg off the "R" on the engine cover so it say PENSIS.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I have a bit of an Apple hardware collection, but my only post 2000 Mac is this dual 2.0 G5 I bought for $20 and it is super picky about RAM. Its the DDR1 version, and it doesn't even like RAM from different manufacturers with the same JEDEC information. have Apple RAM from 30 pin SIMMs up to PC133 168-pin DIMMs, but nothing in plain ol' 400MHz DDR. Anyone remember any better choices than generic sticks from Amazon?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well poo poo. If everyone actually pays I just pulled in $900 on Ebay. So uh, the 929 is probably gonna happen if he's still got it next week.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo. If everyone actually pays I just pulled in $900 on Ebay. So uh, the 929 is probably gonna happen if he's still got it next week.

Does it have oscillating vents?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Commie posted:

Does it have oscillating vents?

It does! It's an 88 and "fully optioned except for a sunroof."

Like I said last month, I was raised that retail therapy is the way to get over sadness. This is probably better than me buying a bunch of crap.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. Bad mood so I broke my three year no McDonalds stint.

I think I'm gonna be sick for a month.

I had McDonalds for the first time in a year yesterday.

I poo poo so hard that it loving ricochied off the toilet. My farts would have mde 14" puke. And then I would poo poo again. gently caress me just sooooo bad

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

It does! It's an 88 and "fully optioned except for a sunroof."

Like I said last month, I was raised that retail therapy is the way to get over sadness. This is probably better than me buying a bunch of crap.

It is a bunch of crap, it just happens to all mostly be bolted together

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

My bottle of sauce put you over the top I'm sure. :v:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Me: "Heyyyy, so that thing our couple's counselor said about going on getting a baby sitter once a week and going on a date together - when would you like to start doing that?"

Her: "I don't. I want more time with the baby and the time I get before and after work isn't enough."

Me: "OK, I totally get it if you're not interested in that right now. Let me know if there's anything I can take off your shoulders and we'll just talk about it later."

Her: "I don't want to leave the baby behind with a sitter. Maybe down the road we can start watching TV together at night or something once he goes to sleep."

Me: "I think we should make some time for each other, and I think 2 hours/week for dinner is totally doable. I'd really appreciate your time; I know we're both going through the new parent thing right now and it's hard to think of anything else, but we need to take care of each other too."

Her: *not interested*

Me: "So you don't want to have an evening alone together?"

Her: No.

Me: "Ever"?

Her:

blk fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 3, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Locator posted:

My bottle of sauce put you over the top I'm sure. :v:

You guys have seriously been awesome. And the fact that everyone who's gotten it and tried it so far has liked it, it just makes me feel good in the middle of a dark storm. You really have no idea what a boost to my feelings that was.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
blk, could it be post partum depression? Has she been screened?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

blk posted:

Thank you so much for reminding me why I exited hard stage left from my last relationship, no matter how difficult it was at the time. Good luck man.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So any goon suggestions on cheap (<=$50)) Bluetooth headphones that sound decent? I'm rocking an ancient set of SoundBots (SB240), but (a) they're crazy uncomfortable (b) the battery only holds about an hour charge these days (c) they have not held up well against my appreciation of being cranked to 11. And to follow up on c, they never had enough louds to begin with; headphones have to be cranked all the way up, along with the source (phone, PC, etc) to even reach what I consider a normal listening level. the upside is they used to have decent sound quality for the price, but they're pretty far gone now.

Definitely need something more natural than these "over the ear with a plastic loop between your ears and skull, connected via a plastic loop via the back of your head" poo poo, but I can't stand in-ear stuff (which rules out the bulk of bluetooth headsets).

My hearing is also hosed, hence the need for more louds. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 3, 2017

bend
Dec 31, 2012

blk posted:

Me: "Heyyyy, so that thing our couple's counselor said about going on getting a baby sitter once a week and going on a date together - when would you like to start doing that?"

Her: "I don't. I want more time with the baby and the time I get before and after work isn't enough."

Me: "OK, I totally get it if you're not interested in that right now. Let me know if there's anything I can take off your shoulders and we'll just talk about it later."

Her: "I don't want to leave the baby behind with a sitter. Maybe down the road we can start watching TV together at night or something once he goes to sleep."

Me: "I think we should make some time for each other, and I think 2 hours/week for dinner is totally doable. I'd really appreciate your time; I know we're both going through the new parent thing right now and it's hard to think of anything else, but we need to take care of each other too."

Me: "So you don't want to have an evening alone together?"

Her: No.

Me: "Ever"?

Her:

Truly sucks mate, even it's just PND (not belittling mental illness, my partner suffered through PND twice). just try and remember a new baby is one of the hardest parts of any relationship. It doesn't set the tone for the rest of the relationship unless you let it. If this was abnormal behaviour before the baby and if you're willing and able to get through this without it destroying you/ your relation ship then do so, just remember the next six months - two years will be HARD on you.
PND can be bloody hard on both partners, as can a new/first time parent's seeming obsession with the child. It can be worked through, even if it will take a lot of work on your part to get her to a place where she's willing to consider it. It's worth it though, at least if you're up to it.
Speaking from experience, both having left and worked through it, if you decide to give her what she wants now you're not failing your child or yourself or her. Just be part of their lives and do the best you can, if it comes to that. That's what counts.

Rhyno posted:

You guys have seriously been awesome. And the fact that everyone who's gotten it and tried it so far has liked it, it just makes me feel good in the middle of a dark storm. You really have no idea what a boost to my feelings that was.
Call him now and offer him cash next week and a bottle or two of sauce now if he'll hold a few days?
Good luck and I hope poo poo eases up after all the hit's you've suffered recently. As to your father in law, gently caress that bloke, dying or not he sounds like an absolute oval office. Just be there for your girlfriend as much as you can, even if you can't be there at his bedside she'l appreciate every bit of the amazing support we all know you're going to give her (and Rhyno's special hot sauce :heysexy: , wait till she asks though)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

This is the girl that basically forced you to have a kid with her because she'd leave you if you didn't, right? :nallears:

If that's not a sign of things to come, I don't know what is.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Raluek posted:

This is the girl that basically forced you to have a kid with her because she'd leave you if you didn't, right? :nallears:

If that's not a sign of things to come, I don't know what is.

Ah well if that's the case refer to this slightly edited version of my previous comment.

bend posted:

Speaking from experience, if you decide to give her what she wants now you're not failing your child or yourself. Just be part of the kids life and do the best you can. That's what counts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, for all the :smith: about being perpetually single when I was younger, I've come to realise I've probably managed to dodge a pretty big bullet.

Now I just wish I could have a dog.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Man, for all the :smith: about being perpetually single when I was younger, I've come to realise I've probably managed to dodge a pretty big bullet.

Now I just wish I could have a dog.

I want my dog, he passed last year. Apparently the missus is getting me a new one for xmas (it's taking a while ??), i just don't seem to have any say in what sort of dog(she loved the old bugger, she just didn't like that he was my dog, not ours as such. Apparently buying a neurotic midget will solve this. I'm working on it ). As to relationships, when it works out it's worth it, other wise gently caress'em . It's not worth your time to pine over some girl (or guy) who just makes you feel like poo poo anyway.
Spend your time on good friends and good things, Mr or Mrs right might turn up and if they don't well then that's life, and a better life than being treated like a oval office by someone who says they love you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I had a McDonalds last night, 20 nuggets, large fries, cheeseburger, large vanilla shake. Dunking nuggets into the shake like I did when I was a child, the best dip.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

What the HELL is this trainwreck on the TV? Something about adults living their lives as if they are babies??!?!?!

These people are just not mentally well. And..... WHAT THE gently caress A loving 60 YEAR OLD MAN GETTING A NAPPY CHANGE?!?!?! This is NOT something I thought I would see or want to see on TV. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww. And yes I know people like that existed, it's one thing to read about it (and laugh at idiots like Shmorky), completely another to see it in a documentary -_-

"I Am An Adult Baby" - Meet the men and women who engage in whimsical role-play in order to recreate the magical, stress-free existence of babyhood. No, get some drat help. This is not healthy in any way at all. My S.O. is just watching this horrorific shitshow in disbelief.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I had a McDonalds last night, 20 nuggets, large fries, cheeseburger, large vanilla shake. Dunking nuggets into the shake like I did when I was a child, the best dip.

I'm gonna be ill just thinking about that

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I watched a documentary recently about people that like to dress up in latex dog outfits. They were all putting across that it WASN'T SEXUAL in any way whatsoever which was funny because y'know, wearing essentially latex bondage gear usually has sexual connotations... There was an award ceremony in the UK and some guy was crowned 'Mr Puppy UK' which in itself is hilarious. He then went to the European Mr Puppy awards and was surprised to find out it was basically one huge gay fetish event with dudes with leads and collars on and dog tail buttplugs getting pulled around by greasy looking men.

In case the above words don't make it obvious, this isn't safe for work!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP1PpM-K-Ns

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm gonna be ill just thinking about that

It wasn't the best idea to smash all 20 nugs, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Raluek posted:

Don't dealerships/OEMs only replace engines with crate replacements, rather than rebuilding, for exactly this reason? Or is Mazda a special snowflake in this regard? Or am I retarded?

I don't recall exactly, but the invoice had Mazda's logo. Engine was rebuilt right before I got the car, could've just been an approved shop. I do remember the PO mentioning that a crate motor at the time was around $10k and he said no to that.

Regardless, I just started the car and she's def. burning coolant now.

• Locked thread