Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Stary Axe was a good HoT addition, along with raids for those .05% of players, I also like the desert borderlands in WvW.

Unpopular opinion: I liked HoT :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

star axe sucks because its small

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
All legendaries suck because they are huge wastes of resources. Sure there are like 2 that look cool, but that's it. It's poo poo ton of work for some minor cosmetic effects, and a lot of the regular weapon skins still look better.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Sprite141 posted:

All legendaries suck because they are huge wastes of resources. Sure there are like 2 that look cool, but that's it. It's poo poo ton of work for some minor cosmetic effects, and a lot of the regular weapon skins still look better.

How could you not love the fact you can take the shitiest weapon and shoot unicorns!?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Me and a group of four or five friends are buying the expansion together. most of them have never played before, but are good at video games. What are some fun things we can get into once we use our level 80 boosts? They like challenging stuff, fractals, raids?

I have about 500 gold on my account from a precursor I got near launch, never played when fractals came out or anything. Is there stuff I should be buying to do the more challenging content?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

fractals are probably your best bet, but with those you're gonna need to start at the beginning anyways and work your way up. along the way you should hopefully get stuff for ascended-tier gear that you can slot agony resistance into which will let you take on higher fractals.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I have about 500 gold on my account from a precursor I got near launch, never played when fractals came out or anything. Is there stuff I should be buying to do the more challenging content?

Create a max sized Norn/Charr and use your booster on it. Force your friends to roll minimum size Asuras. Go to the BLT and buy skins with maximum size/animation/fx and now force them to do all jumping puzzles.

Challenging group content and a jumpstart on fashion wars.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i have now experienced Meatoberfest

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

dad on the rag posted:

Create a max sized Norn/Charr and use your booster on it. Force your friends to roll minimum size Asuras. Go to the BLT and buy skins with maximum size/animation/fx and now force them to do all jumping puzzles.

Challenging group content and a jumpstart on fashion wars.

Head start on max size char and forcing friends to do jumping puzzles. Speaking of which, what are some good jumping puzzle sin HoT? Please dont say all of it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

eonwe posted:

Peak GW2 imo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's only downhill from there

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

eonwe posted:

Best seasonal event in the game

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Sprite141 posted:

I dunno, the tiger bow is pretty cool.

It, like...

shoots out tigers and stuff...

and roars sometimes, I guess...

and actually viable since anet buffed ranger shortbow.

Yeah.

Edit: Oh, and it isn't the bronybait bow.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would have actually been interested in going for a legendary if, you know, the collection stuff introduced for them in HoT didn't have a gigantic middle step that literally only exists as a moneysink

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
It's not like there's anything better to do with the gold + time, said while jerking off The Juggernaut and blasting mercury all over my armor

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

i would have actually been interested in going for a legendary if, you know, the collection stuff introduced for them in HoT didn't have a gigantic middle step that literally only exists as a moneysink

What do you mean, 35 deldrimor ingots and over 10k mithril ore is a perfectly reasonable step for constructing a dagger you're not even making a blade for, just a handle with a tiny flamethrower

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Yeah, the mastery system for legendaries just plain sucks. The early stages that revolve more around challenges and scavenger hunts are fine, but at the end it becomes so miserably grindy.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Mizuti posted:

Yeah, the mastery system for legendaries just plain sucks. The early stages that revolve more around challenges and scavenger hunts are fine, but at the end it becomes so miserably grindy.

Stage 2 is the grindy one, just do Stage 1 and leave it there

Spark Stage 3 appears to be kill Thing A, get Item A, go to Location B and mix with 10 Bloodstone Dust to make Item C, then repeat for Items D, E, C, X, P, 4, *infinity symbol and P again to make Z, then mash Z together with some random poo poo and voilá, a precursor

Crimsonbeak
Nov 7, 2004

Illuyankas posted:

Stage 2 is the grindy one, just do Stage 1 and leave it there

Spark Stage 3 appears to be kill Thing A, get Item A, go to Location B and mix with 10 Bloodstone Dust to make Item C, then repeat for Items D, E, C, X, P, 4, *infinity symbol and P again to make Z, then mash Z together with some random poo poo and voilá, a precursor

All of the Pre-Hot Legendary collections are

Level 1. Do a bunch of random stuff in the world. Then build a gently caress-off expensive precursor with 20+ ascended wood/ore + 10 ascended leather
Level 2. Spend 14 days in silverwastes, and drytop. Then spend 300 gold on mirthril/elderwood because gently caress farming. Then upgrade the precursor for a couple ascended mats and some lodestones.
Level 3. Do more random stuff around the world. Then spend a couple more ascended mats on the final precursor.

for HoT legendary's add a Level 4 of running around doing random stuff. And replace level 1 with farm unbound magic for 4 weeks.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

ApeHawk posted:

Edit: Oh, and it isn't the bronybait bow.

I did like the unicorn bow, if only because it pissed off people so loving much when you used it. Not as much as quip, which is the best legendary.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Crafting the base game precursors isn't even a profit, the GW2Efficiency page is misleading because it defaults to you personally crafting and using all of the Ascended materials, which can be sold for a profit on their own anyway. e.g. Dusk is currently a 180g "profit" but takes 90 Deldrimor Steel and 10 Elonian Leather, each nearly 1.5g profit already.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Crimsonbeak posted:

Level 1. Do a bunch of random stuff in the world. Then build a gently caress-off expensive precursor with 20+ ascended wood/ore + 10 ascended leather
No, it's dumber than that, the amount of mats the precursor requires (especially in the first stage, but also the others) is based on how much the final precursor sells for on the TP (or was at the time, at least). So all the popular precursors require a poo poo-ton of mats while things like the offhands require a fraction as much (and the underwater ones even less, and even get their own much cheaper legendary inscription) for reasons.

It's such a dumb and terrible system. It's like Anet understood people were angry at the prices of precursors, but weren't quite clever enough to understand why, so they "solved" the problem in a way that didn't really satisfy anyone but the TP barons.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 3, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I remember being super excited for craftable precursors only to discover how horribly lovely it was, I just wound up buying my Dusk, got lucky on the Rog pre.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

I recently finished crafting Bolt through the explorer system. Even though it took only a month, it wasn't worth it. For starters, I think the most difficult part of the Legendary grind is the precursor + other poo poo that actually makes the legendary. That's a big wall of grind that I didn't realize when I started off.

That said, I kept 2 spreadsheets to track where I was at. The first was a list of all necessary items required to create a specific part. I also tracked the TP buy-now price, to find the quickest available moment to buy the remaining stuff I needed to just make it.

The second page was more important and probably more useful. Back in October, I started to care about being so poor in the game. So, I started monitoring different items on the TP and listing their info:

Name, buy cost, sell cost, profit, and % profit in silver. The second chart just let me track my income change over time. Tbh, the second chart isn't that accurate because it also took into account time I was playing where I would just unload anything I had in my bank.

If I were interested in another legendary, I would have completely just skipped the precursor quests and bought it on the TP, or just kept flipping my way to 2,000g to buy the thing outright.

Anyways, thats my diary entry for how I made a legendary thanks for reading and god bless~

edit:

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Did they ever reduce the badge prices of explorer dungeon armor, do people even run them anymore?
Nope. But finding a group isn't terribly difficult. It's an easy 1g if your group is experienced.

Regarding you and your friends, also consider running around WvW as a group of bandits: attacking camps and dolkyak supplies, then disappearing. You can use those WvW commendations to buy exotic gear as well.

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 3, 2017

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Last April they doubled the daily per-path bonus tokens from 40 to 80, along with adding the bonus chest of 150 selectable tokens and 5g for doing 8 unique paths, so 2-3 paths gets you a piece of armor.

When HoT came out they cut the liquid gold rewards from daily dungeon paths by 60%, but the bonus chest brought it back above pre-HoT profits (when you factor in salvaging token gear for insignias and ectos) as long as you're not, say, just running CoF1 every day and nothing else.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Don't go for a HoT legendary, burned myself out on the game going for the bird staff. I still need ~30 Clovers and ~40 Amalgamated gemstones to finish it.
The material requirements are insane! And not Mystic coins are above 1g on sell orders, Anet really needs to fire that "economist".

"There is no shortage of coins/leather/whatever they hosed up crafting reqs for. People are just hoarding and betting on further price increases, once they sell the price will go down! Or farming/grinding will be worthwhile"

How can you be so stupid? Farming is no fun! The days I play I frequently skip both the guild hall and my home instance because it's so unfun. And hoarders are just gonna hoard more, they have no incentive to sell unless the price climbs even higher.

Then again the necro nerf also killed a lot of the fun in the game for me.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Not to mention you don't base an economy off of what 1% of the population has hoarded.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

nickhimself posted:

Not to mention you don't base an economy off of what 1% of the population has hoarded.

unless you're john "lightning" smith

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

nickhimself posted:

You do if you want people to buy gold with gems :haw:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

nickhimself posted:

Uhh, have you looked outside lately.

Chem
Apr 30, 2003

Does this game have many active players?

I really enjoyed Guildwars1, and have fond memories of playing super-hard PVE with other goons, like boss-hunting to collect elite skills or searching for Easter-Eggs.

I played Guildwars2 when it launched and I remember absolutely hating everything about it, and havent touched it since. Has the new game "Heart of Thorns" made this into a different game? Or is it still similar to the game I played in 2013?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Chem posted:

It's for sure in a bit of a lull right now, but the answer is still "very much so".

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Chem posted:

I played Guildwars2 when it launched and I remember absolutely hating everything about it, and havent touched it since. Has the new game "Heart of Thorns" made this into a different game? Or is it still similar to the game I played in 2013?

It hasn't magically become a different game. There's some cool stuff they added on for level 80 play in the expansion, but if you really did hate everything about it, I wouldn't suggest picking up the expansion

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's still largely the same game as in 2013 though. If you didn't like it then, I have a hard time coming up with reasons why it would be different now.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I really didn't like GW2 when it came out either. I wanted GW2 to be mostly GW1 but with improvements. It wasn't. It felt like a completely different game and that really turned me off.

Fast forward three years to where I hop back in just to see how it changed. That forced requirement for the game to be so similar to its predecessor had faded away, allowing me to appreciate those differences in a different light. GW2 is really good.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

nickhimself posted:

I really didn't like GW2 when it came out either. I wanted GW2 to be mostly GW1 but with improvements. It wasn't. It felt like a completely different game and that really turned me off.

Fast forward three years to where I hop back in just to see how it changed. That forced requirement for the game to be so similar to its predecessor had faded away, allowing me to appreciate those differences in a different light. GW2 is really good.

Same. The combat in GW2 is dynamic and you actually have to pay attention; you can't just stand in one spot and click on skills. That was the biggest things that I noticed that I didn't like at first but grew to love.
The quest system and world event system is amazing (at least the first time through). Map exploring, you'll always find neat spots that the devs obviously spent time making pretty and unique (similar to GW1, just more of it). Jumping puzzles are a cool diversion that wasn't even possible in GW1.
Since there are no heroes, the game is designed so you can solo all of PvE (except world events) with any profession. And the way events scale, it will adjust up or down based on how many people are involved so it should never get too easy or too hard.

GW2 is not GW1 + improvements. It is a brand new game that shares some of the lore but is better mechanically in every way.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chem posted:

I really enjoyed Guildwars1, and have fond memories of playing super-hard PVE with other goons, like boss-hunting to collect elite skills or searching for Easter-Eggs.

i will tell you what has kept me from playing it for along time is I kept thinking 'oh, its probably dead or its probably gonna die off soon' and then it just keeps trucking along

I see people throughout even newbie zones and the first non-newbie zone I've been in pretty consistently, especially for whatever the main zone event happens to be

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

nickhimself posted:

GW2 is alright, but I would've totally enjoyed an "upgraded" GW1 too. GW2 had/has so much potential that's mostly just wasted by now. But hey, I waited this game for years, so I'm hanging on, I want to see the world and various areas open up. Too bad the story that ties them up together is mostly meh.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

GW2 also won a prestigious 2nd place award in a Top 2 Effectively Playable MMOs in 2016 list, so it has that going for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

AnacondaHL posted:

GW2 also won a prestigious 2nd place award in a Top 2 Effectively Playable MMOs in 2016 list, so it has that going for it.

Was Tera number one?

• Locked thread