Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I liked the Warlord M18 Hellcat plastic kit until I got to the turret and crushed everything with my dumb fingers.

I have a BA league game tomorrow evening, battle report afterwards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Is there a reason the late Napoleonic Prussians only have one box from Perry? Am I missing something? Are the others in the metal ranges?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Also I say vary the pants a little on your line, make them look like they're on campaign

That picture's going in the inspiration folder.

DiHK posted:

Is there a reason the late Napoleonic Prussians only have one box from Perry? Am I missing something? Are the others in the metal ranges?

There are others in the metal ranges, but even there the Prussians, Austrians and Russians are a lot more limited than the British and French ranges, which are extensive. My guess is that's partly based on what's more popular and what interests the Perrys themselves.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Prussians uber alles.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah, basically Napoleonic French and Britain are the Space Marines of Historicals. There are just tons and tons of options, and between Warlord, Perry and Victrix you can make most of the bulk of your forces, both infantry, cavalry and artillery, in plastics in 28mm. On top of that there are 213 (!) blister packs in the Perry Napoleonic French range alone, and you have nice metal alternatives in Calpe, Front Rank, Murawski, and so on. It's just insane.

In France's case, they were just everywhere. They're more central to the period than Germans are for WW2. You can't get around them. And they had EVERYTHING:

-several distinctive uniforms changes so that you can probably find one style you like

-fielded every troop type imaginable, both for infantry and cavalry: six different basic forms of infantry companies, hussars, lancers, dromedary corps, cuirassiers, dragoons, sappers, marines. And then you get almost as much variation AGAIN, in the Imperial Guard.

-tons of allies at various points, so if you collect them you always have an excuse to dip into Austrians, Italians, Spanish, Polish, Saxon, Prussians, Swiss, Portugese, the list goes on and on

The English were, well, English, and most historical games and miniature makers are from Britain. So you'll find tons and tons and tons of British miniatures, even if they were mostly absent from the land battlefields for much of the period. But when they do get involved, they have very flashy uniforms that are fun to paint, and you can mix it up with Scots, Portugese, Kings German Legion and so on if you get bored painting the generic uniforms.

If you go for Prussia, Austria, Russia or some other army, you'll be stuck with going for metals for much of the parts of your army that is not line infantry. But nowadays there are at least good line infantry plastic boxes for most of the armies, and it's great to get your bulk sorted out before your splurge on fancy cavalry or whatnot. And there are very nice metals available, and they just keep expanding (Perry suddenly releasing a whole bunch of Danes, for example).

E: and yes, mixed pants FTW. My latest batch of Warlord line infantry got a bunch of striped and patched pants mixed into them.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 2, 2017

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Pierre, the Captain said you're not allowed to wear your pyjamas to battle again!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

Pierre, the Captain said you're not allowed to wear your pyjamas to battle again!

:P

Often the soldiers would only be given breeches, and had to supply their own trousers for campaigns. There's even anectdotes about troops with badly worn trousers raiding towns for pillows, to rip them apart and mend or sew new trousers. Soldiers were also pre-patching the knees before going on campaign, to prevent them from breaking. So basically the pants is where you can go buck wild when painting Napoleonics.

Apparently pants with red, blue and green stripes were popular among the French.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 2, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have 90 soviet infantry in 28mm and 30 germans in 28mm.

And BMPs, Hinds, and Motostrelki in 15mm

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I made a video of the Volleyfire lights I based up from Warlord

https://youtu.be/XqJcRVJ7Fg8

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Phi230 posted:

I have 90 soviet infantry in 28mm and 30 germans in 28mm.

And BMPs, Hinds, and Motostrelki in 15mm

Where'd you get your cold war stuff from? Also, have a preferred game system for them?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

muggins posted:

I made a video of the Volleyfire lights I based up from Warlord

https://youtu.be/XqJcRVJ7Fg8

This is really silly but also I want it

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

working mom posted:

Where'd you get your cold war stuff from? Also, have a preferred game system for them?

28mm stuff for BA/CoC

15mm cold war stuff is from battlefront for Team Yankee. Got it from miniature market

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 2, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Point of clarification all that stuff just came in the mail. I now have a huge backlog

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I'm in the midst of putting together one of the 1/56 scale M4 Sherman kits from Italeri and I've gotta say, it's a great kit. All the parts fit nicely, there's minimal trimming required and (compared to the Pz III kit) there are relatively few fiddly bits. It's going together really smoothly. Now I just need to figure out how I want to paint it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can 1/78 helicopters be used for 15mm

I have a couple Mi-2s and an Mi-28

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Can 1/78 helicopters be used for 15mm

I have a couple Mi-2s and an Mi-28

They will be big, but technically you can excuse it by saying that they are high up and closer to the players' eye level, and thereby bigger than the ground scale I guess?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
New question: what do I actually use to pin stuff?

I wanna make a base for these helicopters so I need metal rods but where

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I use flower arranging wire and shirt pins. Cheap and sturdy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This is really silly but also I want it

I think you're confusing the word "silly" with "awesome"

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Phi230 posted:

I would use brass rods. Hobby store, but not Michael's if you're in the US.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Phi230 posted:

I just cut up small paper clips.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
These 6mm models from CinC come packed like drugs and they're adorbs af

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I just cut up small paper clips.

:same:

muggins posted:

Those plastic boxes seem like they'll be really useful.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

muggins posted:

One of tmp's front page stories the other day was some 3mm stuff, including a super cute flanker

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Weathering and camouflage are my mortal enemies

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Weathering and camouflage are my mortal enemies

It pays off when the enemy keeps losing track of your units on the table.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Oh, bugger.

Warlord have the pre-order up for their rerelease of the WGF plastic War of Spanish Succession minis. Only an army box so far, but I assume they'll do the individual horse, foot & guns boxes later.

£85 gets you 96 infantry, 12* cavalry, and three artillery pieces with crews. They're saying 15 cavalry, but three of them are the mounted officers from the artillery sprues.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Son of a b- my painting table is already full and I'm reading Churchill's biography of Marlborough.

E: also for an era with a ton of cavalry that's not much cavalry

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 3, 2017

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'd like a break from painting Hordes stuff. I'd like to paint some 6 or 10mm scale stuff. I think I'd like to do Romans or something along those lines- ancients era stuff I guess. Not super interested in anything more modern. Is there some army in a box equivalent out there that I can pick up? I'd probably never play with the models, just want to challenge myself to paint something very different.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Excuse me for the lovely watermarked image, but does anyone know the name of the caps these guys are wearing on the front? They appear to be woolen/fur caps with a hanging bit and a tassle.

I'm planning on doing a small Sharp Practice army campaign based on the Ten Days' Campaign and I'm still looking what kind of mini's I could use for Belgian troops. I've already found that I can use the Perry's Nassau and Dutch Belgian mini's for the Dutch army - but as I said I'm still looking around for suitable Belgians.

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 4, 2017

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Fyrbrand posted:

I'd like a break from painting Hordes stuff. I'd like to paint some 6 or 10mm scale stuff. I think I'd like to do Romans or something along those lines- ancients era stuff I guess. Not super interested in anything more modern. Is there some army in a box equivalent out there that I can pick up? I'd probably never play with the models, just want to challenge myself to paint something very different.

Check out Pendraken for 10s and Baccus for 6's, both have army packs. Pendrakens new classical line looks pretty great.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I managed to paint a significant number of uniformed dudes for the first time in about a decade. Too bad I am not at all happy with them. I suffered from bad mold/flash and fragile bayonets and by the time I got around to painting I just wanted to get them done and move on. I think I'll avoid metal mini's armed with muskets & bayonets in the future.

Anyway, here's some Languedoc Grendarmes. (I kinda went my own way with the drummer boy)

Officer, "NCO", and the dude that I want to be my officer but he needs a musket (originally one of the pole-arm dudes)

I also did a test on some VikingsSaxon Hearthguard for SAGA. I am way happier with them compared to the French Grenadiers.

Now I've got to paint all these guys.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

Excuse me for the lovely watermarked image, but does anyone know the name of the caps these guys are wearing on the front? They appear to be woolen/fur caps with a hanging bit and a tassle.

I'm planning on doing a small Sharp Practice army campaign based on the Ten Days' Campaign and I'm still looking what kind of mini's I could use for Belgian troops. I've already found that I can use the Perry's Nassau and Dutch Belgian mini's for the Dutch army - but as I said I'm still looking around for suitable Belgians.

Those look like kolpaks.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Check out Pendraken for 10s and Baccus for 6's, both have army packs. Pendrakens new classical line looks pretty great.

Pendraken stuff looks like just the thing. Thanks!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Photos from my ACW Sharp Practice game today at Flintcon

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wow guess I'm buying ACW or Nappy minis soon

Even though I still have 120 unpainted Soviets for BA. And a tank.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm going to get some napoleonic French to do in between bolt action squads, break things up with some color. I had been doing guild ball models but I'm almost out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Per the Scale Modeling Thread and the Nuremberg Toy Show

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2017/02/italeris-booth-from-nuremberg-toy-show.html

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is it bad that I literally want to lift and shift some WW1 Naval models (jutland) into Dropfleet Commander? They look so cool, and my usual opponent is NEVER going to play a real WW1 naval wargame with me:

http://www.wtj.com/product5992.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ooh, I wonder if they'll make a Gvevny for World of Warships....