Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phanatic posted:

And more importantly, by Kari Byron.

I don't recall tubgirl looking this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Getting back to short overpasses:

I wish I could find a wider shot in my old photos.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jokes on you, purge flushes the toilet and activates the bidet.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't recall tubgirl looking this good.

All this time, under that mask, it was her all along.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Jokes on you, purge flushes the toilet and activates the bidet.

And camera?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No safety glasses.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Gorilla Salad posted:

Drop it in a glass or anything carbonated and poo poo will fly to the loving moon.

I did the thing where you tied a Mentos to a string and secured it in the cap with the string in the threads so that it goes off explosively when you knock the bottle over or throw it. That was a good bit of fun.

But gently caress, now I have to try that with little pouches of activated charcoal. If a Mentos will send a bottle rocketing 50' through the air I wonder wtf that would do.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jesus Christ posted:

I did the thing where you tied a Mentos to a string and secured it in the cap with the string in the threads so that it goes off explosively when you knock the bottle over or throw it. That was a good bit of fun.

But gently caress, now I have to try that with little pouches of activated charcoal. If a Mentos will send a bottle rocketing 50' through the air I wonder wtf that would do.

This kills the goon.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd be interested in if charcoal did anything. There's a geometric limit in that the bubble needs to get big enough to dislodge from the nucleation surface and if surface tension of diet vs regular already changes the strength, its maybe already surface tension limited and I could see higher surface area media not necessarily making it better.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It worked great with sugarfree soft drink. We also used a tall glass rather than a bottle as the charcoal's rather powdery. Rather than gently dropping it in, we took a small fistfull and dumped it in there all at once.

But now you've got me thinking about limits for nucleation due to surface tension and whether we could increase it by adding detergent to the mix.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Now I'm wondering how long until this turns into a SS13 story

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Phanatic posted:

And more importantly, by Kari Byron.

Whoa! Oh my! Look at all those open containers of unlabelled liquid. OSHA indeed!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Dienes posted:

There's a few reasons. People who lie about a gluten allergy (or are delusional about having one) make the world more dangerous for those with Celiac's, since people are less likely to take them seriously. It also means the person with the 'undiagnosed gluten intolerance' gets to dictate where a group of people eat and then get sanctimonious about how healthy their food is, criticize what everyone else is eating, and promote other pseudoscience bullshit.

I work with these sorts of people. Back when it was cool to say that you are "Gluten Intolerant" I once had a person ask if the lobster was gluten free.

It was literally just a lobster. Not even butter. Just a lobster.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mostlygray posted:

I work with these sorts of people. Back when it was cool to say that you are "Gluten Intolerant" I once had a person ask if the lobster was gluten free.

It was literally just a lobster. Not even butter. Just a lobster.

The easy way to deal with those people is to say "oh god no, it's almost entirely gluten" to everything they ask. let them wall themselves into their own little box of stupidity where they can only eat loving kale.

The positive side of the gluten free trend is the huge variety of products it brought to market which means celiacs can actually eat a bunch of food again. I would love for lactose intolerance to become trendy enough to get milk powder out of poo poo it doesn't belong in .

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Powershift posted:

The easy way to deal with those people is to say "oh god no, it's almost entirely gluten" to everything they ask. let them wall themselves into their own little box of stupidity where they can only eat loving kale.

The positive side of the gluten free trend is the huge variety of products it brought to market which means celiacs can actually eat a bunch of food again. I would love for lactose intolerance to become trendy enough to get milk powder out of poo poo it doesn't belong in .

After that, let's gin up a HFCS intolerance.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

mllaneza posted:

After that, let's gin up a HFCS intolerance.

No need. It is called "diabetes."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mmm my fave

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

It's been getting better. Trader Joes is adding new stuff all the time. Even Aldi gives me a few options in the milk aisle for cereal fluid.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Powershift posted:

Lactose-intolerant adults can consume some amount of lactose without trouble. How much milk powder are you consuming to have problems?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Buy food made outside of the West if you want lactose free.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm lactose intolerant to the point that if I drink a glass of milk I'll have painful, gassy diarrhea within a couple of hours, but as long as I limit milk or cream-based foods to small serves, I'm fine. Butter, cheese and yoghurt inherently have less (or less available) lactose so I've never had any issues with those.

Granted everyone is different but due to the way lactose intolerance works (undigested lactose makes it to the gut, is converted by flora into gas), I'm not sure how it could be that much more sensitive or severe.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Say Nothing posted:

No safety glasses.

this actually works?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

I accidentally bought a packet of absolutely terrible gluten-free jaffa cakes because the K-Market near me put the handicapped shelf right next to the actual cookie shelf.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
With the volume of posts made I assumed lactose intolerant goons ate nothing but lactose

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Lactose intolerance isn't an allergy. If I had to guess I'm assuming she had a product that was reduced in lactose but not lactose free. That phrase isn't kicking anything back on Google, and lactose makes up 2-8% of milk by weight. You can't say something is gluten free unless it's been tested to be gluten free.

"This new federal definition standardizes the meaning of “gluten-free” claims across the food industry. It requires that, in order to use the term "gluten-free" on its label, a food must meet all of the requirements of the definition, including that the food must contain less than 20 parts per million of gluten. The rule also requires foods with the claims “no gluten,” “free of gluten,” and “without gluten” to meet the definition for “gluten-free.”"

Ultimately you just do the best you can and roll the dice, weird poo poo happens to food. My idiot coworker threw french fries onto my lunch plate today even though I'm mildly allergic to potatoes. You just kinda wish for the best, keep your meds around, and live your life.
I'm in the Netherlands so American laws against deceptive slogans sadly won't help much. This is the same reason why you won't find the phrase on google, it's paraphrased from Dutch.

And yes you're technically correct about the difference between allergies and intolerances but I don't know the word for intolerance-safe food so I went with hypo-allergenic because everybody knows what that is.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
My grandmothers boyfriend is alergic to milk. This is different from lactose intolerance, and he cannot eat, or drink, anything containing milk, or a milk derivative.

This causes some problems, as there are alot of things that are lactose free, but still contains milk. LIke most chocolates.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

I'm in the Netherlands so American laws against deceptive slogans sadly won't help much. This is the same reason why you won't find the phrase on google, it's paraphrased from Dutch.

And yes you're technically correct about the difference between allergies and intolerances but I don't know the word for intolerance-safe food so I went with hypo-allergenic because everybody knows what that is.

I thought the Dutch were supposed to be so tolerant.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

this actually works?
I'm not a physics professor, or even smart, but unless the drill object is so heavy it's somehow more stationary than the wall, there's no driving, and there's no way it does anything more than swirl a funky scratch.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

Lactose-intolerant adults can consume some amount of lactose without trouble. How much milk powder are you consuming to have problems?

You have no idea how sensitive some people are to it. Before we realized it, my wife had me try a smoothie she made with whey protein powder. It felt like a hole was burned into my stomach, and I puked harder than any other time in my life.

It's just better for me to avoid it entirely.

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

My grandmothers boyfriend is alergic to milk. This is different from lactose intolerance, and he cannot eat, or drink, anything containing milk, or a milk derivative.

This causes some problems, as there are alot of things that are lactose free, but still contains milk. LIke most chocolates.
Huh. Maybe I'm allergic to dairy and not just lactose intolerant.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 3, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah that doesn't sound like intolerance. What was the timescale on that stomach pain? Lactose intolerance takes an hour or two to take effect, feels like intense cramping in your intestine and leads to gassy diarrhea, not vomiting.

Edit: for what it's worth, that sounds like the reaction my stepdad had to cheese, but he could eat other dairy just fine.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 3, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Huh. Maybe I'm allergic to dairy and not just lactose intolerant.

Easy test, try a small amount of lactose-free milk.
(It's made commercially by adding lactase to ordinary milk)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

Easy test, try a small amount of lactose-free milk.
(It's made commercially by adding lactase to ordinary milk)

Nooooope. Not even worth trying. I don't mind cutting dairy, I just wish it wasn't in all kinds of stuff that it doesn't need to be (granola bars, chocolate, etc.).

GotLag posted:

Yeah that doesn't sound like intolerance. What was the timescale on that stomach pain? Lactose intolerance takes an hour or two to take effect, feels like intense cramping in your intestine and leads to gassy diarrhea, not vomiting.

Edit: for what it's worth, that sounds like the reaction my stepdad had to cheese, but he could eat other dairy just fine.

About 2 minutes was all it took to make me puke. Cheddar cheese gives me crazy heartburn but doesn't make me vomit.

I never wanted to be this way :( . I used to drink a lot of milk growing up, but had to stop when I hit about 24.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 3, 2017

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I cannot drink milk without feeling the urge to vomit too, but I am fine with most other dairy products. I couldn't stand much milk even as a kid.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: Elder Scrolls Nords

Lifehack: have European genes so you can drink milk by the glass.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Platystemon posted:

ITT: Elder Scrolls Nords

Lifehack: have European genes so you can drink milk by the glass.

I have european genes and i could drink a gallon+ of milk a week until i was around 27, when it started to kill me every time i went near it.

You don't realize how many restaurants cover absolutely everything in cheese until you can't eat it.

also, osha

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 3, 2017

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Powershift posted:

There is only one use for powdered milk. Edible play dough. 1 part peanut butter, 1 part powdered milk, 2 parts Corn Syrup, 2 parts powdered sugar.

Yes, it is bad for you regardless of allergies. It does let you play with your food though. You can make figures that you can eat.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Can someone explain milk and allergies and the like to me please? And really pile on those personal anecdotes.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JoelJoel posted:

Can someone explain milk and allergies and the like to me please? And really pile on those personal anecdotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ_K960dG4c&t=912s

basically this happens when they drink milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JoelJoel posted:

Be sure to drink your malk