Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Pissflaps posted:

I believe the majority of polls are online or over the telephone so your chugger effect isn't really an issue.

Exactly, they check the caller ID and ignore ones they don't know, and not many of them are on the internet. It explains why the poling data has been just enough out to be a very rough estimate for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

learnincurve posted:

Exactly, they check the caller ID and ignore ones they don't know, and not many of them are on the internet. It explains why the poling data has been just enough out to be a very rough estimate for years.

Polling has been proven to be largely accurate though ?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Catching up on this NHS surcharge thing, I'm glad to see Pissflaps is being wrong once again so some semblence of normality is restored to the world.

learnincurve posted:

I don't trust polling data anymore. The largest voting block now has a way of not answering the phone if a number they don't know comes up, and because of the sheer quantity of people on the high street hawking for charities or phone companies they totter quickly away from anyone holding a clipboard.

This is terribly silly though. There's no evidence that polling is getting better or worse. If ever you start spouting off like this, you should ask yourself if you'd have the same opinion if the polls were showing Lab 14 points ahead.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hmm but we're still in the EU? What a bizarrely phrased question......

I can't read again. I guess my mind filled in something relating to recent events

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/827544421570863104

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Hmm but we're still in the EU? What a bizarrely phrased question......

What's bizarre about it? We voted to leave the eu and people are being asked if it was right or wrong that we did.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
brexit won a vote, I am not sure if people really know what's good for them.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

What's bizarre about it? We voted to leave the eu and people are being asked if it was right or wrong that we did.

right or wrong is an odd way of phrasing it - it's not a moral choice

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
If you want the breakdown of other parties or responder demographics, the data is on the YouGov site here (and other questions such as how well or badly the Government is doing at negitiating Brexit) ;

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/3hy4qn55vq/TimesResults_170131_VI_Trackers_W.pdf

I know some folk are more statistically minded than me.

PS Not sure still in strong position for next PM at 36%

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

I read bad and thought it was about the parliamentary vote and not the vote 8 months ago

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

right or wrong is an odd way of phrasing it - it's not a moral choice

Something being 'the right choice' isn't necessarily a moral question.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Laradus posted:

If you want the breakdown of other parties or responder demographics, the data is on the YouGov site here (and other questions such as how well or badly the Government is doing at negitiating Brexit) ;

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/3hy4qn55vq/TimesResults_170131_VI_Trackers_W.pdf

I know some folk are more statistically minded than me.

PS Not sure still in strong position for next PM at 36%

Interestingly half of UKIP thinks that May is going badly about implementing Brexit, which is significantly more than tories (~14%)

I wonder what they want. Some sort of super-hard Brexit?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
If I was to be cynical I think it more likely that they just won't support anything May does because Brexit is their baby. Some of UKIP must believe that the Tories stole their moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Interestingly half of UKIP thinks that May is going badly about implementing Brexit, which is significantly more than tories (~14%)

Camps.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Private Speech posted:

Maybe timing do you think? Trigger Article 50 the day after the referendum and put tanks at the channel tunnel the following day.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

It isn't being done by Our Nige'.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pissflaps posted:

I think that's the only one that's 'none commentary'.

Your question suggests I'm choosing polls that reinforces my existing opinions - do you know of alternative ones that might challenge them?

Is answering a question with a question a form of deflection?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Serotonin posted:

I wonder what happened to noted UKMT leftist and all round good egg The Saurus?

https://twitter.com/jimpjorps/status/827526974646153216

Oh

You know you when you read some thing and you can just tell they aren't trolling.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jippa posted:

You know you when you read some thing and you can just tell they aren't trolling.
He had a meltdown over a sixer - Sad!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dead Goon posted:

Is answering a question with a question a form of deflection?

No. It's what I do when a question makes no sense.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/827500089430175746 :cripes:

And so Trump wins. Left infighting is more important it seems.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol loving hell and the labour party voted for a war which caused hundreds if not thousands of rapes and murders

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheRat posted:

I'm not sure that protests in London were ever going to do much to Trump. And yeah, it's hardly unfair to discourage people from attending rallies & events run by SWP & their fronts considering what they've done in the past.

You also miss the follow up tweet, where Jones points out another anti-Trump protest. He's not saying don't protest Trump, he's saying the SWP tried to cover up rape, the people involved in the cover up are still high up in the party, and that it is actively dangerous for the SWP to be allowed to be at the forefront of left-wing activism in this country.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheRat posted:

*in extremely unconcerned voice* Oh no. Once we have lost the might of the SWP, left-wing politics will be doomed forever.

Or more realistically the SWP is a cult of bearded numpties who dragged the organisation into the shitter over their desire to grift from it. Not to mention the fact that the SWP is part of that whole "left infighting" movement and always has been Splitter Number One.

gently caress the SWP.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also lol that you think the best way of protesting a racist molester is to put you arm round Rapey Dave Spart and go "it's fine if they're on our side!"

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tony Blair is a war criminal and the labour party should not be supported until they as a group call for his arrest.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

*in extremely unconcerned voice* Oh no. Once we have lost the might of the SWP, left-wing politics will be doomed forever.

Yeah, this time it will definitely just be a one-off thing and not a massive distraction that causes untold harm to the actual cause.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
does anyone give a gently caress about the SWP though?

problem is to the average outside person who knows nothing of the scandal it all sounds either like student politics or a whole people's front of judea type of a deal

e/ and yeah takes the focus off what the protest is about and puts it on the protestors

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JFairfax posted:

e/ and yeah takes the focus off what the protest is about and puts it on the protestors

Pretty sure that is the SWPs intention tbh

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

does anyone give a gently caress about the SWP though?

problem is to the average outside person who knows nothing of the scandal it all sounds either like student politics or a whole people's front of judea type of a deal

It does.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

JFairfax posted:

Tony Blair is a war criminal and the labour party should not be supported until they as a group call for his arrest.

He's literally not. Unfortunately acting immorally isn't actually against the law.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Tea posted:

He's literally not. Unfortunately acting immorally isn't actually against the law.

he literally is, and he's responsible for a thousand times more rapes than the SWP

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

learnincurve posted:

We should ask Ian Hislop who the next Labour Party leader will be, he's always been so good at it in the past. Remember when he openly mocked the idea of Boris getting anywhere in politics, and dismissed May as a thatcher wannabe in nice shoes who will be destined for a minor cabinet position to make up the numbers.

In fairness, this assessment is entirely accurate, it's just that Hislop didn't bank on the stupidity of the world today.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheRat posted:

Yeah, this time it will definitely just be a one-off thing and not a massive distraction that causes untold harm to the actual cause.

That describes the SWP perfectly.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

The SWP is garbage and Owen Jones is doing the right thing

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The SWP should be shunned and pushed to the margins wherever they crawl out of the woodwork, we've been over this a thousand times.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

JFairfax posted:

the notion of health tourism is a bit ridiculous really, you'd have to be coming from further afield than Europe really and if you could afford to do that then you probably have enough cash to afford healthcare.

theoretically the most likely place that health tourists would come from would be America, but most Americans have no concept of free healthcare so they don't.

I got pretty sick while doing a semester abroad in London, sorry for stealing all your NHS and making it fail. :(

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

And this is why the right keeps winning.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

TheRat posted:

And this is why the right keeps winning.

This isn't the usual quibbling over the minutiae of theory and excluding comrades on some tenuous bullshit, the SWP is a creepy, self-interested cult that covered up systemic sexual abuse and they should be excluded from the broader left until they wither and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Because the right always keep on message and never, ever split over issues like "should we kick out all the forruns, Y/N"

• Locked thread