Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The guy in the original thread was talking about RDP so not remote assistance. Still I dunno if I'd trust your average user to install OpenSSH or openvpn on Windows and keep on top of updating it regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

wyoak posted:

The guy in the original thread was talking about RDP so not remote assistance. Still I dunno if I'd trust your average user to install OpenSSH or openvpn on Windows and keep on top of updating it regularly.

this is why i was telling shaggar that he's just as dumb as the grey

but just like his other autistic posts where he types with erect dick about microsoft and all its glory, he'll write another six post diatribe about how the company has a solution that works best above all else

don't respond to him

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 3, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
rdp has nothing to do with teamviewer and also cant be used for remote assistance as it would override the user's active session. We were discussing your bizarre hated of teamviewer and your inconsistent views on security

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also I'm litterrally saying that the Microsoft solution (remote assistance) does not work here so idk where you're getting pro-Microsoft stuff from. I wish remote assistance worked cause it would make 3rd party things irrelevant, sure.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i dunno saying something as general as "never trust a 3rd party" seems a bit paranoid and the endgame there is actively vetting crypto algos and only using software that you've compiled yourself using those algos (also using a compiler you wrote yourself)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the thread was about persistent remote access, in which case teamviewer is stupid given the thousands of users that had computers hacked through no fault of their own besides installing teamviewer in server mode

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Perplx posted:

the thread was about persistent remote access, in which case teamviewer is stupid given the thousands of users that had computers hacked through no fault of their own besides installing teamviewer in server mode

well, they probably were reusing passwords too

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
why are you people responding to ms stymie

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

wyoak posted:

i dunno saying something as general as "never trust a 3rd party" seems a bit paranoid and the endgame there is actively vetting crypto algos and only using software that you've compiled yourself using those algos (also using a compiler you wrote yourself)

yeah its security through brand favoritism

Perplx posted:

ive never used teamviewer for persistent remote access but id put it in the same category as opening rdp or ssh to the world.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Perplx posted:

If you need remote access to your computer and TeamViewer running in a persistent state is the only way you can do it, you should not be accessing your computer remotely.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

ive never used teamviewer for persistent remote access but id put it in the same category as opening rdp or ssh to the world.
you spe
the problem with teamviewer isn't technical, it's social. rdp or ssh or whatever is specific to that machine, meaning somebody would have to specifically target you. teamviewer (and other 3rd-party services) create a single point of failure. what's easier, doing a mass port scan and targeting individual machines or breaching a single system with direct access to hundreds or thousands of machines?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wyoak posted:

do you use lastpass

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Munkeymon posted:

is the chrome remoting extension bad in the same ways as TeamViewer?
idk but its what i use

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
chrome thing requires a PIN that you set on the computer, so it's probably secure but I couldn't find any real description of its security when I looked

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i had to help my sister with a thing a week ago & used teamviewer :ohdear:

it was just an app she opened and then closed and deleted after, i dont think she even has admin rights on her macbook

did i gently caress up bigtime?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Powaqoatse posted:

it was just an app she opened and then closed and deleted after, i dont think she even has admin rights on her macbook

I don't care about TeamViewer use for one time connections where you are helping someone but it is arrogant to suggest it is usable for persistent access.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

no

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powaqoatse posted:

if it's not a persistent install then you're probably ok

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ok thx :sweatdrop:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

duTrieux. posted:

you spe
the problem with teamviewer isn't technical, it's social. rdp or ssh or whatever is specific to that machine, meaning somebody would have to specifically target you. teamviewer (and other 3rd-party services) create a single point of failure. what's easier, doing a mass port scan and targeting individual machines or breaching a single system with direct access to hundreds or thousands of machines?
umm probably the former tbh

and no I don't use lastpass, but I do in fact use products that I myself did not compile from source.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
what's the thread favorite for a password manager these days?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Phone posted:

little notebook next to the computer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

you spe

mass port scans are way way easier especially w/ access to botnets.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phone posted:

1password's good, but more importantly what operating systems do you need your password manager to run on

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
whichever you use, don't let your password manager hook into your browser

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

anthonypants posted:

1password's good, but more importantly what operating systems do you need your password manager to run on

win10
OS X sierra
iOS 10 (probably gonna be Android by the end of the year)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

since i need win 10/fedora/anroid, ive settled with keepass file in a onedrive folder

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

openssh has had plenty of vulnerabilities in the past and the idea you're presenting that because its linux its immune to attacks is absolutely retarded

openssh isn't a linux toolset, pls don't disparage a good software as such, that its often installed on linux machines doesn't make it linux any more than it being often installed on windows makes it windows

it also hasn't had a vulnerability that would allow an arbitrary attacker to get shell since definitely 2002 and MAYBE 2003

you might be getting it mixed up with openssl which is a completely different project and is actually a linux and very bad vulnerability wise

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
yeah. it's not like in the past five years there haven't been any rdp rces

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Phone posted:

keep rear end

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
and by favorite, i mean "the first one i tried"

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Wheany posted:

keep rear end

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Wheany posted:

keep rear end

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Microsoft Is Good At Security

https://isc.sans.edu/diary/Windows+SMBv3+Denial+of+Service+Proof+of+Concept+%280+Day+Exploit%29/22029
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/867968

quote:

A "Proof of Concept" (PoC) Exploit causing a blue screen of death on recent Windows version was released on Github earlier today. The exploit implements an SMBv3 server, and clients connecting to it will be affected. An attacker would have to trick the client to connect to this server. It isn't clear if this is exploitable beyond a denial of service. To be vulnerable, a client needs to support SMBv3, which was introduced in Windows 8 for clients and Windows 2012 on servers.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wheany posted:

and by favorite, i mean "the first one i tried"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

? that went up a couple of days ago, it didn't seem that interesting based on the poc: https://github.com/lgandx/PoC/tree/master/SMBv3%20Tree%20Connect

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

mass port scans are way way easier especially w/ access to botnets.

botnets :argh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
my business partner wants to move our clients to an active monitoring platform, pulsewave. it works well enough, but it's a cloud hosted system and the system agent has the ability to run commands on the system. i keep having the same argument explaining why we cannot use it for our clients in law/lobbying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what are the regulatory constraints? windows update has the ability to execute commands given server instruction, as do all browsers with a decent update model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

what are the regulatory constraints? windows update has the ability to execute commands given server instruction, as do all browsers with a decent update model

same, don't doubt there's some crazy regulatory thing around lawyer stuff I don't know, am interested in what it is tho

• Locked thread