Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kinda torpedoes the whole "we're not actually Nazis, so no nazis have been punched yet, checkmate antifa!" thing when your previous comic literally portrays your side as nazis who didn't think to lock up the antifa/sjw/etc until they started punching you.

Also, kinda just feels like a "no true scottman" kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

FishBulb posted:

I don't even think it's that. It's more "these people weren't actually nazis, they just agree with nazis in every way and want to commit genocide"

Yeah, he believes that people really do want nazi-like policies, they're just turned off by the historical association.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Richard Spencer is a trash can, AGC.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Richard Spencer is a trash can, AGC.
I object, trash cans are useful.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

After The War posted:

Kirschen, you unbelievable cock, the ban is on people who have left those countries. And that would include, say, Iranian Jews who fled the regime. But I'm sure you know what that's like, you emigrated from New York after all, now that's persecution!

You know, for the self-declared spokesperson of a country based on the idea of accepting people from a world-wide diaspora, you've always been awfully quiet about Jews anywhere other than Israel. Except for when you're declaring American Jews race traitors, of course. You've spent more time talking about Coptic Christians than you have non-Israeli Jews. Why is that, Kirschen?

Goons, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Kirschen might only be concerned about the whiteright kind of Jews.

A few pages back but gently caress Kirschen! I get irrationally angry when this douchebag who sides with Fascists has the nerve to call non-Israeli Jews race traitors. It isn't just Kirschen. Don't read the comments on any Israeli based news organization's articles. Doesn't matter the topic. It is nothing but accusations of race betrayal, calls for the genocide of Arabs, and pleas for Jews living outside Israel to "come home". gently caress the lot of them! Most Jews living outside Israel ended up there because they were fleeing persecution by authoritarian governments and have no interest in joining you in being part and parcel to one.

:fuckoff: Kirschen

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lord Hydronium posted:

I object, trash cans are useful.

He's useful, to an extent. Him getting punched got a lot of people to realize that nazis need to be punched

Also, anyone who is associated with him or defends him you can safely assume is trash. Therefore, garbage can.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bullshit premise as usual, but weak for a Garrison cartoon. No aryan superhero Trump or Dees-esque illuminati imagery anywhere.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If anything that antifa guy is real muscly

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I personally can't wait till Garrison does another ubermensch Trump so I can do a side by side comparison

:allears:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I'm not sure this guy understands exactly how flowcharts work.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Feels kind of ironic to call out the other side for "virtue signalling" while going "b-b-but wont somebody think of the free speech?"

Angepain posted:

I think the joke is that everything is a fascist move, dick move and "wtf?" worthy?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

beepsandboops posted:

I personally can't wait till Garrison does another ubermensch Trump so I can do a side by side comparison

:allears:

dat rear end

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Ah yes, property damage and stopping a guy from speaking at a university, exactly as bad as the vigilante murder of innocent black people.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

SomeMathGuy posted:

Ah yes, property damage and stopping a guy from speaking at a university, exactly as bad as the vigilante murder of innocent black people.

In his head, yes because one of those he's fine with.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I thought the heavy use/abuse of the idea of "virtue signalling" came from the political right. I never thought of it as a leftie concept (social identity theory aside).

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
~Garrison swallows back bile and steadies his shaking hand as he creates a comic in defense of a gay man~

"H...h....he's one of the good ones...one of the ulp ugh g...good ones"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

D.N. Nation posted:

dat rear end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8kY_IbYq4

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

I thought the heavy use/abuse of the idea of "virtue signalling" came from the political right. I never thought of it as a leftie concept (social identity theory aside).

It isn't a left wing thing and it is exclusive used by the kind of right wingers that thinks anyone with different beliefs than them is being insincere.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Angepain posted:

This guy's "charts" are nearly always lists deliberately presented in an inappropriate format. If you asked him why he'd probably say something about evoking bewilderment or making you think about each item but I bet he's simply one of those designers who's got a bug up his rear end about infographics and is willing to look a bit clueless as long as he can associate infographics with shallow understanding.

Oxyclean posted:

I think the joke is that everything is a fascist move, dick move and "wtf?" worthy?

There's so many clearer and wittier ways to visually represent this though. I know I'm being very beep boop about this but did you actually take in all those lines and go "oh, clever, kind of" or did you have to squint at it for a second or two and then just mentally disregard all the connecting lines in order to parse the drat thing? (Hint: I already know which you did, because strictly speaking* your reading is incorrect)

*the biggest beep boop goes here

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 3, 2017

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

It started as a legitimate enough criticism about people who complained about things yet never did anything, then it got totally co-opted by the right as the bullshit most know. Maybe the push back is getting to Garrison and he wants to disown or reinvigorate the phrase? I dunno he's loving stupid.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
It's just Garrison being bad at creating strawmen, so he just takes his own criticism of them and puts it in their mouth.

Also anyone complaining about "virtue signalling" is basically saying "I'm an rear end in a top hat, and anyone acting like less of an rear end in a top hat than me are just showing off".

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Trogdos! posted:

edit: bonus 2 tweets from kkklurf

lmao "twitter is like water, you can't ban me from it!"

edit2: he also got a 24 hour suspension from Facebook for the concentration camp cartoon

Twitter is a utility? Not according to the anti-net neutrality folks.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Do you guys really not have any friends who constantly post poo poo about how outraged they are about everything on social media and don't actually DO anything? Virtue signalling is a real, annoying phenomenon that happens all over the political spectrum, and the fact that the term is being co-opted by the right to dismiss any political opinions they disagree with doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm a lefty trans queermo in the one of the bluest states and I'm pretty goddamn outraged about what's been happening, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the fact that plenty of people on both sides say things because it makes them feel good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stroop There It Is posted:

Do you guys really not have any friends who constantly post poo poo about how outraged they are about everything on social media and don't actually DO anything? Virtue signalling is a real, annoying phenomenon that happens all over the political spectrum, and the fact that the term is being co-opted by the right to dismiss any political opinions they disagree with doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm a lefty trans queermo in the one of the bluest states and I'm pretty goddamn outraged about what's been happening, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the fact that plenty of people on both sides say things because it makes them feel good.

Sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions about other peoples lives OP

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I've called it "performative bullshit." "Virtue signaling" is another phrase from the newsletter that every right-winger seems to subscribe to.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

This is true but it's also true that the particular phrase "virtue signaling" is a nazi shibboleth.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i've heard 'slacktivist' way more than 'virtue signaling' when it came to that kind of thing and i like that more both because it hasn't been co-opted by the right and because the phrase is more about denigrating the lack of effort part than the expressing outrage part of the phenomenon

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Do you guys really not have any friends who constantly post poo poo about how outraged they are about everything on social media and don't actually DO anything?

That's not "virtue signaling." "Virtue signaling" is a right wing term for doing or saying good things because you want people to think of you as good. They literally don't understand why someone would do good things except to impress others with their goodness. It's got nothing to do with the difference between good intentions and practice. If you spend your whole life in selfless campaign for the rights of women, destroying your health due to constant overwork, they'd still say that you were "virtue signaling" to impress chicks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I think it's related to legitimate social science theory in its origins (related to social identity theory, I think), but the term as abused now has become totally detached and is just used as a bludgeon. There are basically other, better, more nuanced ways to describe what's going on that also have the side benefit of not making you sound like you have a Pepe body pillow waiting for you at home.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
From last year's thread, still helps get the taste of fresh Kirschen out of my brain

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

I think it's related to legitimate social science theory in its origins (related to social identity theory, I think), but the term as abused now has become totally detached and is just used as a bludgeon. There are basically other, better, more nuanced ways to describe what's going on that also have the side benefit of not making you sound like you have a Pepe body pillow waiting for you at home.

The phrase was coined by a newspaper column, it isn't a scientific term at all

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Regalingualius posted:

Someone find the comic he must've made to justify the Republicans refusing to hold Garland's confirmation hearing and I'll send it side-by-side with this one to him.
Or the half dozen or so "wise baby schools Dumbocrats" cartoons he's created

ZERO self awareness that maybe the loving president should be noticing this stuff too instead of tweeting about the press. His cartoon has Trump literally even further away from the issue than the people he's complaining are far away from the issue!
Garrison is seriously bad at this poo poo. He draws the uniform of the anti-fa, a artistic shorthand, and then labels him anyway (well, the tree). It's like drawing a guy in white grease paint with a big red nose and a rainbow wig and writing "THIS IS A CLOWN" across a nearby fire hydrant.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I am fine with "performative bullshit" and "slacktivism" as alternate terms, but they refer to the exact same phenomenon as "virtue signalling". I'm not down with suggesting that everyone who uses that term instead of the others is a Nazi shithead because there is nothing inherently lovely about that phrase, even if it's the phrase of choice for alt-right assholes who expand its meaning. It's fine if y'all prefer other terms, but while someone using terms preferred by shitheads makes me a bit cautious, I'm not going to dismiss someone entirely just because of that if there's nothing objectionable in the phrase itself.

This is a bit of a tangent, but frankly, I think our side's increasingly harsh word-policing has been a detriment to our movement. Being sensitive about terminology is important, but it really seems like people are willing to totally throw away intent, content, and context to demonize others--especially allies--to the point where people are afraid to ask questions or speak up for fear of using the wrong words. And if you EVER have used a term that is now considered bad, you are relentlessly attacked and forever demonized no matter what you do.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I am fine with "performative bullshit" and "slacktivism" as alternate terms, but they refer to the exact same phenomenon as "virtue signalling". I'm not down with suggesting that everyone who uses that term instead of the others is a Nazi shithead because there is nothing inherently lovely about that phrase, even if it's the phrase of choice for alt-right assholes who expand its meaning. It's fine if y'all prefer other terms, but while someone using terms preferred by shitheads makes me a bit cautious, I'm not going to dismiss someone entirely just because of that if there's nothing objectionable in the phrase itself.

This is a bit of a tangent, but frankly, I think our side's increasingly harsh word-policing has been a detriment to our movement. Being sensitive about terminology is important, but it really seems like people are willing to totally throw away intent, content, and context to demonize others--especially allies--to the point where people are afraid to ask questions or speak up for fear of using the wrong words. And if you EVER have used a term that is now considered bad, you are relentlessly attacked and forever demonized no matter what you do.

Eat a turd fuckboy

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

I used the wrong word for trans people or something a while back and people yelled at me and I corrected my post and everyone was nice. No big deal. People who go nuts whenever they are corrected about the smallest thing should learn humility.

The right are also nuts about this sort of word policing. "Radical Islamic terror" anyone?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm not sure 'language evolves' is a uniquely leftist, modern leftist, or even a political phenomenon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm not sure 'language evolves' is a uniquely leftist, modern leftist, or even a political phenomenon

poo poo, they're better phrases anyways. Slacktivism and performative bullshit both include the meat of the criticism in the phrase, virtue signalling is inherently vague. Probably why it got so easily co-opted!

• Locked thread