Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Doom is cool, I still need to finish that game. Glory kills are a good idea but they don't require any skill to execute. For a better implementation of the same idea look at the Zandatsu mechanic from MGR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he's right. It's Serious Sam with a Doom skin, though better than Serious Sam. The only Doom map it's similar to is Dead Simple

Dead Simple is probably Sandy Petersen's best map though??

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fuschia tude posted:

Dead Simple is probably Sandy Petersen's best map though??
don't get me wrong it's a good map but

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Sandy's best map was Tricks and Traps, obv

Also, I thought I might be working on gun's tonight to get to the end of em quickly, but turns out I'll have different art to draw, making a few missing assets for some quests.
starts 3 hours from now or so, check it here: https://www.twitch.tv/frankiepixelshow

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mighty Dicktron posted:

DOOM is more Doom than Doom 2 is.

...no. gently caress no.

Lurdiak posted:

It's true that the design philosophy in Doom 4 isn't exactly Doom-like, but it's certainly in the spirit of fast paced FPS games of the 90s. One of the biggest differences is the structure of the levels; old Doom just wants you to run around quite short mazelike stages getting keys, with only a few instances where you actually need to kill enemies to progress. Meanwhile, for the most part, doom 4 is really long stages of mostly-linear corridors blocked off by mandatory monster arenas. There's some very light puzzle elements and some branching but mostly it's just moving forward until you're not allowed to move forward until everything's dead.

yeah i dunno how that other guy said it was the "most doom" when you nailed it. i would've liked the game way more if it hadn't pretended to be doom.

also enemies dropping health pickups and not having cool canned death animations and doing that weird flicker thing when they die.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 26, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's the most Doom, sorry.

Right in the feels.

Only a true doom-murderhead would understand.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Groovelord Neato posted:

...no. gently caress no.

The secret is that Doom 2 is actually not nearly as good as Doom 1 nor is it a particularly good game in general

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Groovelord Neato posted:

...no. gently caress no.

also enemies dropping health pickups and not having cool canned death animations and doing that weird flicker thing when they die.

You can turn the glory kill flashing off.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So will there be a Japanese dub option or will we have to make do with the Hungarian version?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

barukuri tsu is already out in japan, its been delayed until 2023 because they've got to redo all the female outfits and bump up the ages for a western release

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
In the relatively near future could we get a new progress report on the bballbisse Tumblr?

Seriously, periodically demonstrating that you are in fact alive and working would be a really good PR move.

Apparently even Star Citizen's backers have grown restless in recent weeks after the last press conference announcing loving Nothing. But between their $140 million and your $120k or so, only you have shown that your core gameplay mechanics exist in some sort of functional state.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

In the relatively near future could we get a new progress report on the bballbisse Tumblr?

Seriously, periodically demonstrating that you are in fact alive and working would be a really good PR move.

Apparently even Star Citizen's backers have grown restless in recent weeks after the last press conference announcing loving Nothing. But between their $140 million and your $120k or so, only you have shown that your core gameplay mechanics exist in some sort of functional state.

art for bark looks better than SC tbh.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Frankie is streaming his work all the time. I mean I would hope that means there is progress and he's not just a madman who draws spritesheets for fun.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

FedEx Mercury posted:

Frankie is streaming his work all the time. I mean I would hope that means there is progress and he's not just a madman who draws spritesheets for fun.

Frankie can load his gun's into a test build and actually shoot them as they are intended to be shot, and firing them doesn't make the entire game engine poo poo it's pants and crash to desktop. So really, his jpg gun's are better and more real than any Star Citizen spaceship.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 30, 2017

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Sandy's best map was Tricks and Traps, obv

Is this some kind of joke?

The level transition between Dead Simple and Tricks and Traps is just depressing, marking the exact shift from "that was fun" to :wtf: and the game never recovers.

Not even 'O' of Destruction can save the rest of it

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The secret is that Doom 2 is actually not nearly as good as Doom 1 nor is it a particularly good game in general

Even Doom isn't the best Doom game. Shareware Doom is. The other two episodes are just Petersen going farther into the deep end the farther he strays from Hall's designs. (This is why Pandemonium is the best map in Inferno.)

Ultimate Doom has some nice map designs, but the progression is poo poo and it suffers from the same boring architecture monotony as shareware Wolf3d.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
The best doom game? Oh. It's doom 64.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Barkley 2 will be released exclusively at K-Mart and Radio Shack as a boxed release labeled "Frog Fractions Trilogy Complete". The actual Frog Fractions Trilogy Complete will be only be available on a single PC in a net cafe in North Korea

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
i called radio shack and they didnt know what i was talkin about

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I saw a cardboard display for Barkley 2 at Circuit City. Gonna see if they'll let me take it home

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Doom 2016 was great. But enemies are so mobile that it makes every enemy encounter feel a little too samey, it really limits how varied the level design can be. You can do so much with the toolset of classic doom just through enemy placement, but everything in Doom 2016 gets up in your grill seconds after spawning. That said, it was really good at what it did, and I had a grand ol time playing through it.

Also, in other news, there are 32 gun's left to draw. The gun's are at 98%. I will probably not finish them in tonights's stream, but I will come very close for sure. If you want to watch, catch the stream at 8pm EST.
After the gun's are all drawn, I will switch wedesdays' work day to be about animated portraits. This is probably when I will be making backer portraits, and also filling in a few of the gaps left in the Barkley2 npc portraits.

If at all possible please contact the backers (like me) when you think you will get to their portrait. Thank you and Clispaeth bless.

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Starting on the final 32 gun's right now on stream. I don't expect ill be able to finish them all tonight, but who knows. . .. . .. .
https://www.twitch.tv/frankiepixelshow

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Well, as a matter of fact, me and gz have been plotting some KS update(s), mainly just a whole bunch of pics and vids, maybe a few choice words about what's the haps, since there really isn't much interesting to say about the developement. Right now it's just doublechecking NPC's and testing out quests in every possible permutation, eliminating loose ends. Just a tedious churn basically, especially because it seems like half of them don't loving work like they should without spending a few hours fixing them.

Hopefully after the next time we update we don't slip back into the ol' radio silence and repeat the gun's updates disgrace. I think it was a disgrace but also kinda funny in how it was setting up this glorious streak of updates but then completely fell on it's rear end.

Frankie will prob finish all the gun's sprites next wednesday and then it's time to really start replacing all these lovely temp sprites and putting in missing grafix which I think will energize the project by a good amount. The infamous "Juice Rut" will be history.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Gortarius posted:

Well, as a matter of fact, me and gz have been plotting some KS update(s), mainly just a whole bunch of pics and vids, maybe a few choice words about what's the haps, since there really isn't much interesting to say about the developement. Right now it's just doublechecking NPC's and testing out quests in every possible permutation, eliminating loose ends. Just a tedious churn basically, especially because it seems like half of them don't loving work like they should without spending a few hours fixing them.

Hopefully after the next time we update we don't slip back into the ol' radio silence and repeat the gun's updates disgrace. I think it was a disgrace but also kinda funny in how it was setting up this glorious streak of updates but then completely fell on it's rear end.

Frankie will prob finish all the gun's sprites next wednesday and then it's time to really start replacing all these lovely temp sprites and putting in missing grafix which I think will energize the project by a good amount. The infamous "Juice Rut" will be history.
I'm looking forward to this game.

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

sinking belle posted:

I'm looking forward to this game.

me too ☺

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
god bless all gamers.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gortarius posted:

Literally even knowing that quests exist beyond what's in the demo is more information than we had before this post.

I mean, sure, you do you, the end product will be worth it, but radio silence is way less cool than even a drip feed of tiny "here's a thing we did this past month" updates to me :shobon:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
did the gun's drawing finish

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gortarius posted:

god bless all gamers.

Game in courage

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Semper games.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

did the gun's drawing finish

I think there's still like 13 guns left. Frankie was working on character portraits last night.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Please back up your work to a Zip drive so a hard drive crash doesn't kill it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure all the gun's are backed up in the stinky cloud that is DwarfNET

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm sure all the gun's are backed up in the stinky cloud that is DwarfNET

The sad thing is this thread is only at 10% quota for dwarfNET shitposts.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What do the ToG Boys think about Enter the Gungeon? I'd be interested to hear because I imagine there are a lot of shared design elements w/Bakely, but they're structurally very different.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The sad thing is this thread is only at 10% quota for dwarfNET shitposts.

It is, by definition, impossible to shitpost in DwarfNET.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

finally, a place where i can be free

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Well.... heres' the update...... I hope it's good enough..........

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/1799648

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

:rock:

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

I want to be the Baron of Booty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
These booty jams are the most misleading genre name since boring electronic music for boring white girls stole trap as a genre name from rap.

edit: The first dj's song made me smile though, and the anime guy not actually being a master but playing some poo poo tier song was funny too. I figured it would go the other way where he just drops the sickest beat.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 5, 2017