Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

Fuuuuck, I went through great pains specifically to make sure that there wouldn't be a spike in volume
I have failed :(

No, you misunderstand. Do not lower the volume. Otherwise, it will no longer be satisfactory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Excellent RIP AND TEAR 9/10 would be RIPPED AND/OR TORED again

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Slaan posted:

Excellent RIP AND TEAR 9/10 would be RIPPED AND/OR TORED again

See. Alexey? Perfectly cromulent Ripping and Tearing.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Alright, false alarm :black101:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I loved the Cyberdemon boss fight, it was a nice change of pace from the other fights in the game.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
It's not truly ripping and tearing until you scream so hard you eject your vocal cords. There's a good reason Doomguy only communicates by breaking things.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Cyber demon was appropriately ripped and torn, LP is in excellent condition, rated 5.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Scream with your diaphragm, not your throat.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The spike in volume wasn't that big, and even if it were, it's necessary to be loud as possible for that occasion.
Follower "Jacobson?" Way to play on the myth that Jews are demons, Id.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Honestly, I kinda feel that the design of the Cybredemon is... Lackluster. It looks a little too goofy.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
It look like a demonic doom marine.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
One thing I like about this part is when the Cyberdemon grabs Doomguy and tosses him into the room. In any other FPS you'd get chucked into the far wall and slowly get up, but Doomguy's so good that he lands on his feet.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Lynx posted:

One thing I like about this part is when the Cyberdemon grabs Doomguy and tosses him into the room. In any other FPS you'd get chucked into the far wall and slowly get up, but Doomguy's so good that he lands on his feet.

Oh, yeah, that was pretty baller.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Lynx posted:

When the Doom Slayer was trying to stop himself when he was thrown he left marks on the ground with his fingers.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
One thing that's implied in the game is that the Doomguy and the Cyber-Demon fought in the past, and the Cyber-Demon remembers.

Rabidredneck fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 26, 2017

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I like his little antlers.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Rabidredneck posted:

One that's implied in the game is that the Doomguy and the Cyber-Demon fought in the past, and the Cyber-Demon remembers.

He definitely cocks his head to one side in a "Wait...It's you!" moment right before he roars.

So everyone may have noticed that there's a lot of artfully laid out candles in Hell. Someone has come up with an explanation why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WOWUfD_fuM

Polaron fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 24, 2017

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, to a demon, seeing the Doomguy would be like us literally seeing the living embodiment of Armageddon itself, so it's not necessarily them having specifically fought before. It's established that everyone knows Doomguy and is terrified of Doomguy

Polaron posted:

He definitely cocks his head to one side in a "Wait...It's you!" moment right before he roars.

So everyone may have noticed that there's a lot of artfully laid out candles in Hell. Someone has come up with an explanation why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WOWUfD_fuM

WRONG SHOTGUN

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Polaron posted:

I had no idea the interior set designer for Wolf Hall lead an evil life...

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Normally, I can't say I find the level design of this game anything to write home about. But that starting area was good.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Being chased by a Baron of Hell in those narrow Hell corridors can be a bit tense sometimes.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I'm still really disappointed by these Hell levels. They don't look enough like a twisted cathedral.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Why did you say it would become apparent LATER why it's called Titan's Realm? You jump down the throat of a dead titan in the very first room!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Iunnrais posted:

Why did you say it would become apparent LATER why it's called Titan's Realm? You jump down the throat of a dead titan in the very first room!

We don't know yet that it's a dead titan :v:

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

EDIT: Nine minutes too late!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
What does Commander Keen have to do with the BFG 9000...? Oh well.

There's an alternate scenario for you. Commander Keen takes on the legions of Hell.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Keen's gun and OG Doom's BFG have the same looking projectile.

Also, there's sort of a unofficial/semi-official story idea that the OG Wolfenstein guy, OG Doomguy, and Keen are related.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Also, there's sort of a unofficial/semi-official story idea that the OG Wolfenstein guy, OG Doomguy, and Keen are related.

Commander Keen takes on the Nazi legions of Hell.

Don't tell me you wouldn't play it. I know I would.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Is it still a 2D platformer?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

my dad posted:

I don't know about Doom, but I'm pretty sure it's canon that Commander Keen is the grandson or something of BJ Blazkowicz.

George
Nov 27, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't know about Doom, but I'm pretty sure it's canon that Commander Keen is the grandson or something of BJ Blazkowicz.

That's only in the timeline where Link defeats Ganon.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Is it still a 2D platformer?

Yes, if only because it's easier to drive a pogo stick into enemies' skulls in a 2D platformer.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

George posted:

I'm still really disappointed by these Hell levels. They don't look enough like a twisted cathedral.

I think this second Hell level is where the budget and dev time started to run out. There's not as much care and precision in the object placement and encounter design.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

I think this second Hell level is where the budget and dev time started to run out. There's not as much care and precision in the object placement and encounter design.

Actually, speaking of that, this is also where the game no longer has any new guns or enemies to throw at you. The increase in intensity is from this point executed through simply increasing the number of enemies.
With that said, we're about 75% done with the game, so it doesn't outstay its welcome

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Something to be noted about the Cyberdemon's music.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Samovar posted:

Something to be noted about the Cyberdemon's music.

Having a pentagram in the spectrogram was totally intentional, and most games couldn't get away with it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That is actually pretty drat awesome.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, if those Pinkies were genetically modified, they'd probably need to have altered their demonoxyribonucleic acid!

C'mon, Genetics doesn't readily allow for puns; hell, the best I could come up with Hell was the city of Dis joke, fer Chrissakes.

Edit: Wow, that's... that's an incredibly depressing Russian saying there, chief.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 3, 2017

• Locked thread