Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Guys, Minna is still coming out, game dev takes a while!!!

I tried to play a 1.2.5 pack again a little while ago and I forgot how annoying making things in RedPower was. Each of those circuits take just way too many intermediate crafting steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bbcisdabomb posted:

I tried to play a 1.2.5 pack again a little while ago and I forgot how annoying making things in RedPower was. Each of those circuits take just way too many intermediate crafting steps.

Dude thats what Crafting Table III is for!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
It's kind of shocking sometimes what I can't live without anymore in Minecraft.

Like I know it wouldn't be useful or authentic to the main game, but god drat if I could ever live in a pack without SOME kind of mass storage like Applied Energistics, or at least EZStorage. Doing ye olde chest hunt is the worst. At the very least, Storage Drawers.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Falcon2001 posted:

It's kind of shocking sometimes what I can't live without anymore in Minecraft.

Like I know it wouldn't be useful or authentic to the main game, but god drat if I could ever live in a pack without SOME kind of mass storage like Applied Energistics, or at least EZStorage. Doing ye olde chest hunt is the worst. At the very least, Storage Drawers.

I could see something like SD being in basic minecraft, one drawer per item with the icon on the front? Hopefully they improve the interface though, I can never remember how to access them - shift right click with empty hand after turning around 3 times to fill your inventory or something.

After building a prismaline cleaver and buffing the heck out of it, then remembering things like "enchant your armor" and Atomic Reconstructing emeralds into emraldine for the extra +1 per piece, I tackled the nether and got my corpse back. Blaze spawner acquired, last chicken type as well. I'm officially at the part of the game that's new to me, the wither fight + wither killing automation. I've usually stopped at a big AE/RS setup powered by massive reactors and void mining, so this should be fun.

Once my barn is built and my basement cleaned up I'll take some pictures.

What's the current hotness for bridging RS networks into dimensions? Looks like flux plugs or phantom faces, not sure which.

A few item name questions, all from skyfactory 3:
Multi-animal net thing? Looks like a bubble gun or something.
massive liquid storage for XP and lava - tanks? drums? a multiblock of some description?
the thing that builds in geometric shapes to make my base look less like crap.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's pretty amazing how expensive most advanced storage systems are. Like most mod authors clearly believe the simple convenience of just not having to root around constantly to find resources you've already earned so so overpowered it needs an exorbitant pricetag.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Didn't she also promise something like a standalone game too?
Yep
http://www.eloraam.com/

Last update almost 2 years ago, last one before that about 2.5 years before that.

Really loving the mid-90s ugly as gently caress warehouse game, can't wait to play it, totally looks fun, looking at a dingy poo poo warehouse with bad lighting makes me think wow that must be a fun game to play, I love it and can't wait. Hoping it has mandatory volcanoes.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

It's pretty amazing how expensive most advanced storage systems are. Like most mod authors clearly believe the simple convenience of just not having to root around constantly to find resources you've already earned so so overpowered it needs an exorbitant pricetag.

Yep

Last update almost 2 years ago, last one before that about 2.5 years before that.

Really loving the mid-90s ugly as gently caress warehouse game, can't wait to play it, totally looks fun, looking at a dingy poo poo warehouse with bad lighting makes me think wow that must be a fun game to play, I love it and can't wait. Hoping it has mandatory volcanoes.

I've never considered AE2 to be expensive. At least, it's not expensive to make a dinky little storage box that holds all your stuff and is searchable; it's when you need massive warehouses of storage and autocrafting and all that that it becomes expensive. But the simplest replacement for your chests will cost you a few diamonds, some certus and nether quartz, a few pieces of glass and glowstone, and a bit of a hunt around to find the inscriber plates.

Probably about as expensive as making a couple of diamond chests from the Iron Chests mod, really. What would you want instead?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

What would you want instead?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Black Pants posted:

I've never considered AE2 to be expensive. At least, it's not expensive to make a dinky little storage box that holds all your stuff and is searchable; it's when you need massive warehouses of storage and autocrafting and all that that it becomes expensive. But the simplest replacement for your chests will cost you a few diamonds, some certus and nether quartz, a few pieces of glass and glowstone, and a bit of a hunt around to find the inscriber plates.

Probably about as expensive as making a couple of diamond chests from the Iron Chests mod, really. What would you want instead?

Fair amount of iron and redstone needed as well. It's not necessarily any one piece, but making like four 1k drives, a disk, and a few crafting units is a good chunk of change (plus a renewable energy source to use it)

Oh so that's what we're going today, we're going to fight? /s

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Vib Rib posted:

Yep

I don't think she updates that website anymore, but her Twitter has a lot of recent activity about the game as does her Patreon site to some degree. Apparently the game still lacks physics, lighting and audio, and her twitter is a constant stream of "Sorry couldn't do X this month because Y thing happened, hopefully do more soon!".

I do remember her noting that she wanted Redpower as a mod to continue but didn't know how that could happen because she was working full time, but then I'm not sure how that'd allow her to work on the game either?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hey what nvidia drivers was it that recently stopped minecraft working? can't load jack from the technic loader now, although it pretty much dies at the "installing minecraft assets" part of loading a pack and so may be unrelated.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

hey what nvidia drivers was it that recently stopped minecraft working? can't load jack from the technic loader now, although it pretty much dies at the "installing minecraft assets" part of loading a pack and so may be unrelated.

Use the 376.33 drivers, they were the last ones to work with MC IIRC

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

CrazyTolradi posted:

I do remember her noting that she wanted Redpower as a mod to continue but didn't know how that could happen because she was working full time, but then I'm not sure how that'd allow her to work on the game either?

I think she gave up on the mod entirely when the MS buyout was announced.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Fortis posted:

I think she gave up on the mod entirely when the MS buyout was announced.
OHHH, yeah that's right, her and a few other modders fully flipped out at that news. There was a lot of "I WONT LET MICROSOFT STEAL MY CODE!!!!!" going around, I don't think Microsoft really ever did end up doing any of that?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Harik posted:

Multi-animal net thing? Looks like a bubble gun or something.
Safari net/Safari net launcher (MineFactory)

Harik posted:

massive liquid storage for XP and lava - tanks? drums? a multiblock of some description?
I normally just use drums. Depends how massive you mean really.

Harik posted:

the thing that builds in geometric shapes to make my base look less like crap.
Building Guide (OpenBlocks)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Black Pants posted:

AE/AE2/RS are gated behind travel to the nether, which sucks as a basic storage system. I'd prefer you could make the most basic bit (4k disk block + crafting terminal) with just iron and maybe a few gold for the advanced core.

In the most basic progression terms:
wood -> wood pickaxe -> stone -> stone pickaxe -> iron pickaxe -> diamond!!! -> obsidian -> nether travel -> storage that doesn't suck.

So at this point you're already down to z16 mining, have iron armor, food, probably a weapon, some water buckets and mining underwater to get the obsidian. That's a good half hour to 45 minutes for an experienced player laser-focused on doing one thing at the expense of everything else being put off.

That's why drawers are nice for early game, you can do them in the wood age, and a wall of 2x2 drawers makes it super easy to see what you have at a glance.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

CrazyTolradi posted:

OHHH, yeah that's right, her and a few other modders fully flipped out at that news. There was a lot of "I WONT LET MICROSOFT STEAL MY CODE!!!!!" going around, I don't think Microsoft really ever did end up doing any of that?

That particular group of modders were convinced that MS was going to focus on the PC version, much less give a poo poo about it, when it was obvious that they were after Pocket Edition and the console ports.

It's just as well anyway. I remember when Eloraam was getting started at porting RP2 to 1.7.10 and pitched a passive-aggressive shitfit about never using Forge Multipart in lieu of her own multiblock system because she invented the concept and we needed to have respect for that or something along those lines. Using RP2 in modern times with other mods would have been an absolute nightmare.

And I'm sure the wires would have still reloaded the chunks every time they flashed, just cause.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Harik posted:

AE/AE2/RS are gated behind travel to the nether, which sucks as a basic storage system. I'd prefer you could make the most basic bit (4k disk block + crafting terminal) with just iron and maybe a few gold for the advanced core.

wood -> wood pickaxe -> stone -> stone pickaxe -> iron pickaxe -> diamond!!! -> obsidian -> nether travel -> storage that doesn't suck.

So at this point you're already down to z16 mining, have iron armor, food, probably a weapon, some water buckets and mining underwater to get the obsidian. That's a good half hour to 45 minutes for an experienced player laser-focused on doing one thing at the expense of everything else being put off.

That's why drawers are nice for early game, you can do them in the wood age, and a wall of 2x2 drawers makes it super easy to see what you have at a glance.

Easy solution to this would be to add components/storage drives/etc to the chests in meteors, giving people a reason to continue to go after meteors beyond getting the 4 plates.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Fortis posted:

That particular group of modders were convinced that MS was going to focus on the PC version, much less give a poo poo about it, when it was obvious that they were after Pocket Edition and the console ports.

It's just as well anyway. I remember when Eloraam was getting started at porting RP2 to 1.7.10 and pitched a passive-aggressive shitfit about never using Forge Multipart in lieu of her own multiblock system because she invented the concept and we needed to have respect for that or something along those lines. Using RP2 in modern times with other mods would have been an absolute nightmare.

And I'm sure the wires would have still reloaded the chunks every time they flashed, just cause.
In retrospect, Microsoft's focus on console and Pocket Edition makes so much sense it isn't funny. It's easily more accessible for children and also it makes the texture pack and skin DLC's they sell viable. I really could never see MS making money from going hardcore on the PC version, taking over mods, etc because I couldn't really see them making quality DLC to compete with the high quality mods we've seen in recent years. Also lol at the tin foil conspiracy theories some of those modders had in regards to MS locking modding out of PC Minecraft.

I'm really glad that sense of concept ownership seems to be gone from the Minecraft modding scene, because it's toxic as gently caress and just prevents someone from implementing the same idea in a better and more intuitive way. Imagine if the guys doing AE2 came down on Refined Storage or Correlated Potentialistics the same way Eloraam would have on the ProjectRed or Bluepower teams?

And yeah, RP2 was horribly coded and compared to modern mods, tedious as gently caress.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

CrazyTolradi posted:

Easy solution to this would be to add components/storage drives/etc to the chests in meteors, giving people a reason to continue to go after meteors beyond getting the 4 plates.

Christ, I forgot all about meteors; I was thinking just in terms of nether quartz. I've played skyblocks and things where meteors make no sense so the mechanics were changed. The whole "alien technology from the sky (but also has been buried forever) thing rubbed me the wrong way, especially when there were meteors buried everywhere but no reason to go after them once you got the plates. That's a mechanic that would make sense for something that's not "basic storage and crafting", like I dunno, pocket dimensions or some cool new magic thing.

Literally strip that whole meteor thing out of AE2 and give it to some other mod author and both will be better for it.

Wolfsbane posted:

Safari net/Safari net launcher (MineFactory)

I normally just use drums. Depends how massive you mean really.

Building Guide (OpenBlocks)

Not in SF3, I dunno how much but drums would probably work and not in SF3, respectively.

I'm way too old to roll my own modpack anymore, I'll take a curated experience instead of dicking around with conflicts myself.

On the subject of bad experiences: mechanics that depend on random chance are awwwfffuuulll. In this case to make a void miner you need (for some loving reason) ore blocks. On a skyblock, that means some mechanic to give you ores and of course that means fire a laser beam at stone and hope it turns into the ore you need.

Took me 7 stacks of stone to get the one diamond ore I needed, and I hated every second of it. Should be a recipe to infuse stone with ore to get an ore block, make it like 4 ingots so you can't make infinite growth out of it. Once done the auto-assembler multiblock void miner was pretty cool though, so that was worth it. That got me draconium ore so pretty much endgame at this point.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

AE2 Meteor's aren't horrible concepts of themselves, just the way they're used to gate the mod entirely behind finding them first is.

I think it's entirely fair to allow a player to set up an adhoc network and have storage and import/export/interfaces without having to be endgame vanilla level. I do think that autocrafting, pocket dimensions and wireless terminals should be gated though.

But yeah, only having them for the plates and the initial sky stone you need for controllers is really letting the concept of meteors go to waste and making it a high bar to entry rather than gating late mod content.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CrazyTolradi posted:

AE2 Meteor's aren't horrible concepts of themselves, just the way they're used to gate the mod entirely behind finding them first is.
I agree with Harik, they would have been great for a really odd xeno-magic mod or something. For a "convenient storage and maybe automation" mod it seems so bizarrely out of place, thematically.

Speaking of weird magic, I really wish there were more mods like Ars Magica. It's a lot of fun and making custom spells is really involved and impressive, and my one big gripe is that instead of a meaningful progression system they just have XP grinding for levels.
If they put in some sort of advancement system, even using the summoned bosses as milestones, it'd change everything. XP is the worst way they could have done it and grinding magic levels sucks.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Don't forget that in addition to finding the meteor, you also need to find some randomly spawning charged quartz, because a bunch of the good stuff requires charged quartz, and for some reason the quartz charger requires charged quartz. As you can imagine, this presents a problem.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Charged quartz is a really stupid idea in the first place. Also every time I bring it up someone goes "well I found it really quick!" but all I can do is think of the time I played Impact Flux and got like 2 stacks of diamonds and 4 of regular quartz before finding charged.
Super rare stuff like this for what, again, I don't believe is an unreasonable or game-breaking end result anyway, seems ridiculous.

It's not creative flight, or super weapons, or impenetrable armor, or even machine processing (it only automates when you hook it up to OTHER machines). It's just convenient storage. It's a quality of life thing. The fact that 90% of mods treat this like such a tall order boggles my mind, but to be fair, I guess it comes back to the idea that Minecraft is a different game for everyone who plays it, so I guess it depends where your priorities are.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Booted up Project Ozone again. Today I made a bit of progress, though there were some set backs at first! I had to watch a tutorial video about Ex Nilio mod, but once I figured that out it was easy peasy. I had another encounter with a Creeper, blowing up a second wall. I patched it up and decided to move my operations above ground. I will treat it like a skyblock and live above, rather than attempt to fight off the hordes of monsters:

I started a tree farm on the roof. Once I learned what Vein Miner does this became a lot faster process :v:

I started building up infrastructure. The old home base became a compost heap and the rest was built up stairs. It took a while to get enough non-flammable material to build the cobble generator! My next task is to build some machines to automate the sifting and cobble bashing, but I don't know what I should use. I would have usually used something from Red Power for that....

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 4, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

CrazyTolradi posted:

I think it's entirely fair to allow a player to set up an adhoc network and have storage and import/export/interfaces without having to be endgame vanilla level. I do think that autocrafting, pocket dimensions and wireless terminals should be gated though.

But yeah, only having them for the plates and the initial sky stone you need for controllers is really letting the concept of meteors go to waste and making it a high bar to entry rather than gating late mod content.
The nether isn't engame vanilla level though. You can go there in the first hour or two of play to get AE2 stuff and the basics. Quartz/Glowstone are easy to get without having any armor at all.

Ender Pearls are much more annoying. Blaze Rods are a bit annoying until you find a spawner.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I haven't ever considered 'going to the nether and getting some quartz and glowstone' to be 'the endgame.' And I mean, if you've got more stuff to hold than a few Iron Chests chests (that you can sort with Inventory Tweaks) how are you even finding anything expensive? :P

Yeah I know, it comes down to what you play for. But I dunno, if you want AE2/RS in a single block that's made of two wood and two stone go ahead and make a mod of it. :shrug:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

It's not creative flight, or super weapons, or impenetrable armor, or even machine processing (it only automates when you hook it up to OTHER machines). It's just convenient storage. It's a quality of life thing. The fact that 90% of mods treat this like such a tall order boggles my mind, but to be fair, I guess it comes back to the idea that Minecraft is a different game for everyone who plays it, so I guess it depends where your priorities are.
"Sure, you can become an immortal who can kill anything in one swing, but easy storage solutions? NO, you have to EARN that privilege!"

Khorne posted:

The nether isn't engame vanilla level though. You can go there in the first hour or two of play to get AE2 stuff and the basics. Quartz/Glowstone are easy to get without having any armor at all.

Ender Pearls are much more annoying. Blaze Rods are a bit annoying until you find a spawner.
For me, yeah, I can do that easily (although always get into TiCon first off) but for the average person who I play with no so much (who usually have an hour or so to play a day).

Games are easy when you already know exactly how to min/max going in, and modded Minecraft is no real exception. Having to do all that in AE2 for the simple concept of improved storage is still a bit much for the outcome.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Harik posted:

You could just get to iron and then lava-cast a portal.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
In my new game of the 1.7.10 modpack, I kept telling myself THIS time I won't cheat! Rushing a simple AE setup...huh, quartz > furnace doesn't equal silicon? I have to use sand in a crusher? And I need steel to make a crusher? Okay okay I can do this! After checking the ingredients of all the various kinds of steel ingots, one was made via [stone furnace < steel powder < AE manual grinder + Nether Pig Iron]

Okay to the nether! Wow this place has changed. I don't know if it's the mod pack but lakes of blood, vines, trees, pretty cool. Also, pouring a bucket of blood onto lava makes the place a lot safer. You can just pick the blood back up again afterwards!

Okay I have the template things, now what? Throw quartz seed into a puddle? What. Okay...waiting....waiting...

And that's when I said fuckit I'll just give myself a controller, ME Drive, and 4 4k storage cells AND NO MORE CHEATING I mean it this time! :mad:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You can make pulverizers or SAG mills without steel, and if you DO go the Mekanism route, steel is a case of iron and coal in a metallurgic infuser. And crystal growth accelerators are not difficult to make, which reduce the wait for perfect crystals. I mean, it's one thing feeling that that the mod dev made the recipes too difficult to produce, and finding it too hard because you refuse to learn basic information, or because you refuse to adapt to what needs to be done AND to fix it yourself and you just want to whine. You don't even need to make a new mod, learn how to use Minetweaker to change the recipes to require whatever you like. Or cheat I guess. :shrug:

I'm not saying people's complaints are baseless but this is a big deal made of minor things that are largely you making things difficult for yourself. If you want unlimited, searchable storage without doing anything for it, cheat it in.

Edit: Note that I'm not saying 'This is how things should be!' but rather 'This is how things are, so do something about it or deal with it.'

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 4, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no-one wants storage without doing anything for it. they want storage without doing meteor-hunting for it. is it even possible to have a conversation about mod foibles in this thread without someone immediately taking things to extremes?

that said i will shortly be releasing Better Than Withers, my nether products automation mod. if you want to start playing it you need to craft a Wither Fiddler multiblock structure made out of six thousand oak leaves. they're a renewable resource and i don't see the problem here

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

no-one wants storage without doing anything for it. they want storage without doing meteor-hunting for it. is it even possible to have a conversation about mod foibles in this thread without someone immediately taking things to extremes?

that said i will shortly be releasing Better Than Withers, my nether products automation mod. if you want to start playing it you need to craft a Wither Fiddler multiblock structure made out of six thousand oak leaves. they're a renewable resource and i don't see the problem here

The meteor hunting was a sidenote to having to collect charged quartz (of which you need 2), and before that just wanting to make things with 'just iron and maybe a few gold' and comparing it to Storage Drawers made out of just wood. The general conceit being that taking 45 minutes from game start to get a ME system was too much work.

With my response saying don't play the dev's game if you don't want to deal with it, because there's plenty of ways to get around it. But saying it's bad because the dev chose to make it that way is stupid. It's just not for you. It's certainly not Gregtech levels of nonsense in any case.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 4, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

is it even possible to have a conversation about mod foibles in this thread without someone immediately taking things to extremes?
It happens everytime talk about AE2 comes up, someone voices their feelings about the mod, others agree then a couple of people come in with "IF YOU DONT LIKE IT CHANGE IT WHY ARE WE DISCUSSING THIS" posts almost like it's not a discussion thread.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Like, yeah, it's ok for people to voice their thoughts and feelings on a subject without just telling them to put up or shut up. It's like when my fiancee talks to me about trouble or some issue she's having, she doesn't want me to solve it for her, she's just talking about it to get it off her mind.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think meteor hunting is dumb and I think the cost in resources (not to mention constant electric drain) is unreasonable for what the mod actually provides you. It's a more orderly storage you don't have to go digging through. It's not game changing and should not cost that much more than a room full of chests because that's basically what it is.

That's it. That's all. I think it costs too much and the modmakers and some others seem to way overestimate the value/influence of storage convenience. And I think meteors are dumb.

Saying you can have a full ME system up and running within 45 minutes of a new world is ridiculously generous. Even if you're beelining it and have no other mods to worry about and no other challenges or balance changes you could always just happen to not find charged ore for hours, or not get the meteor presses you want, or whatever.
But arguing that you could potentially bumrush an ME system within an hour, if it's all you focus on and conditions are right (and also don't need power) is so besides the point anyway.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Saying you can have a full ME system up and running within 45 minutes of a new world is ridiculously generous. Even if you're beelining it and have no other mods to worry about and no other challenges or balance changes you could always just happen to not find charged ore for hours, or not get the meteor presses you want, or whatever.
But arguing that you could potentially bumrush an ME system within an hour, if it's all you focus on and conditions are right (and also don't need power) is so besides the point anyway.
I honestly don't think you can do it in 45 minutes without doing something like TiCon, or enough XP/bookshelves/enchanting table to get Fortune III so you can actually get a decent amount of Certus, not to mention the amount of gold and redstone that goes into an ME system that's not highly limited in capacity.

But even then, spending 45 minutes straight trying to work on your storage system is also kind of stupid when you're a fulltime worker with family and social commitments, but you like gaming and modding Minecraft and just want to build nice things and not have to deal with 20 odd doublechests or have to cheat things in (or have to go through and fiddle with MineTweaker). So yeah, I agree, it's not game breaking, it doesn't poo poo out 6 Nether Stars every ten minutes or vomit stacks of Ender Pearls. It's just a storage system that makes everything else that much easier.

I'd really love to know WHY people think not-lovely storage needs to be behind so much grind.

Also, meteors scattered about everywhere is kind of ugly. Maybe not RP2 volcano ugly, but not far off.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
You guys should try out Refined Storage. It's basically AE2 but without hunting for meteors or whatever nonsense and the storage disks store a flat 4/whatever thousand items no matter how many different types you got in there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

terrafirmacraft EZ question - am i supposed to be able to duplicate red steel hammers by crafting them with any chunk of ore (i used limonite)

also do the flowers (e.g. milkweed) signify anything? i know goldenrod means clay but idk if the others mean DIG HERE FOR ORE or something

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

I think meteor hunting is dumb and I think the cost in resources (not to mention constant electric drain) is unreasonable for what the mod actually provides you. It's a more orderly storage you don't have to go digging through. It's not game changing and should not cost that much more than a room full of chests because that's basically what it is.

That's it. That's all. I think it costs too much and the modmakers and some others seem to way overestimate the value/influence of storage convenience. And I think meteors are dumb.

Except that it is game-changing. I've said this before, the real cost in Minecraft is time. Literally every resource, every option, is infinite, so the price you have to pay is how much time does it take. And AE2 (and similar mods) drastically reduce the time cost of nearly everything involved in crafting and storage, and in some cases, ultimately remove it entirely. You see it as Quality of Life - a real quality-of-life thing is more like Inventory Tweaks which can be used to sort inventories so you can dig through them quickly (and is, in fact, free). Being able to throw everything you own into a single block and find anything you want with a keystroke or two, or use NEI/JEI to pull everything right out of your storage and into the crafting grid, or just straight-up autocraft, is a massive change on the base game, and why it's so "expensive".

Except that it's not even that expensive. (I do personally agree that meteor hunting is the weakest part of AE2 and I'd prefer recipes for skystone and to create the inscriber plates). But otherwise, it's primarily iron, glass, redstone, and quartz (of both kinds), all of which are in fact pretty plentiful and fairly easy to gather. High-end systems require more resources of course, but AE2 was designed to work with other automation mods, so gathering those resources is almost always something you can automate by the time you get into that kind of high-end system (ender quarries are my preferred method but there's like a million ways).

It's NOT hard to set up a chest room and slap signs on your chests identifying the types of items in it and keep that sorted. Hell, it's one of the very first things I do. With InvTweaks sorting, it takes only seconds to dig through the chests to find what I need. It only takes twenty minutes to find stuff if you never bother to organize your things at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Serifina posted:

Except that it is game-changing. I've said this before, the real cost in Minecraft is time. Literally every resource, every option, is infinite, so the price you have to pay is how much time does it take. And AE2 (and similar mods) drastically reduce the time cost of nearly everything involved in crafting and storage, and in some cases, ultimately remove it entirely. You see it as Quality of Life - a real quality-of-life thing is more like Inventory Tweaks which can be used to sort inventories so you can dig through them quickly (and is, in fact, free). Being able to throw everything you own into a single block and find anything you want with a keystroke or two, or use NEI/JEI to pull everything right out of your storage and into the crafting grid, or just straight-up autocraft, is a massive change on the base game, and why it's so "expensive".
The other resource is patience. It's the transactional frustration that comes with either manual sorting or keeping track/searching through chests that's the real QoL issue.

And it doesn't add much to the game other than a time sink and a bunch of frustration.

Plus it's a solved problem. The tech exists to remove chests from the game entirely, we just artificially gate it because of nebulous "balance" concerns against an arbitrary baseline (vanilla).