Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp, I can safely say that I did not expect the beast to turn this show into a loving musical.

Well played SyFy. Well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I hope the questing beast is some guy in a fursuit wearing a fedora with fake antlers taped to the sides of it

It turns out that the magical world is full of weirdos and the author of the Fillory books had to take a lot of creative license in order to make the setting less weird

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That change would be loving hilarious and I'd be on board with that

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

OWLS! posted:

Welp, I can safely say that I did not expect the beast to turn this show into a loving musical.

Well played SyFy. Well played.
I want the title to be changed to LOOONG LOST LOVE!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I hope the questing beast is some guy in a fursuit wearing a fedora with fake antlers taped to the sides of it

It turns out that the magical world is full of weirdos and the author of the Fillory books had to take a lot of creative license in order to make the setting less weird

I'm pretty sure the Questing Beast is that weird white creature that has been showing up in commercials and promo art.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a good summary writeup or video of S1? Asking for a friend who doesn't remember most of what's happened in it so all the references in the new season doesn't really make sense to me.

Its me I'm the friend.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a good summary writeup or video of S1? Asking for a friend who doesn't remember most of what's happened in it so all the references in the new season doesn't really make sense to me.

Its me I'm the friend.

It's a pity they didn't do a cat recap like they did with The Expanse.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Its me I'm the friend.

Here's a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8RzV10-GU4

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
Wikipedia usually is an okay resource for catching up on shows.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

God drat, I'm loving how whimsical The Beast is. He's easily the highlight of the season so far.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

appleskates posted:

Wikipedia usually is an okay resource for catching up on shows.

Oh man, never check the Wikipedia for a TV Show that was from another source material unless you want to risk spoilers from the source.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

STAC Goat posted:

Oh man, never check the Wikipedia for a TV Show that was from another source material unless you want to risk spoilers from the source.
yes! That is absolutely true. I only meant to use Wikipedia as a catch-up for when you can't remember the last season of the show because you smoked pot the entire time or whatever.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

appleskates posted:

yes! That is absolutely true. I only meant to use Wikipedia as a catch-up for when you can't remember the last season of the show because you smoked pot the entire time or whatever.

don't doxx me :tinfoil:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I missed you all.. and I was bored.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
It almost feels like they wrote a script, filmed it, then wrote the next one, filmed it, and so on, rather than writing the whole season at once, and then filming it.

I say that because it feels like they're trying to tie up loose ends... that they set up last week... before they move on with the story. If they're really wrapping up this whole "The Beast cursed the thrones of Fillory" this quickly, then perhaps they should have just gone back and cut out this subplot entirely?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

It almost feels like they wrote a script, filmed it, then wrote the next one, filmed it, and so on, rather than writing the whole season at once, and then filming it.

I say that because it feels like they're trying to tie up loose ends... that they set up last week... before they move on with the story. If they're really wrapping up this whole "The Beast cursed the thrones of Fillory" this quickly, then perhaps they should have just gone back and cut out this subplot entirely?

Except it was a lot of fun?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

muscles like this! posted:

Except it was a lot of fun?

You're right, it was.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ember is loving amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alice :(

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So... Alice... she became a Niffen, and now she's dead?

Book discussion: In the preview they show Quentin going on the hunt to try and wish for Alice to be brought back to life. I guess she isn't going to spend the next couple of seasons exploring the universe as an all powerful all knowing being? Or maybe she'll be doing that in the afterlife while she is dead, and then when she's brought back to life, that's when she'll get angry at Quentin for bringing her back to life?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I really appreciate that Quentin is the shittiest, most useless person on this or any world. I... may have gotten a dirty look from my roommate for laughing at his desperate begging in the carriage. I... may have identified with that a little too personally.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I really appreciate that Quentin is the shittiest, most useless person on this or any world. I... may have gotten a dirty look from my roommate for laughing at his desperate begging in the carriage. I... may have identified with that a little too personally.

The Magicians is the best window into grad school life than anything else I encountered.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Loved this Ep. Honestly thought it was the best of the series so far.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

qbert posted:

Loved this Ep. Honestly thought it was the best of the series so far.

Yeah, that was amazing. Feels like the series has found its footing pretty well by now.

Also I don't think I've laughed as hard as I did with Ember coyly making GBS threads in the fount of all magic.

As much as it'd be nice on some levels, I hope they don't stick too closely to the books on this. Not having Penny or Alice around for awhile would be robbing two of the better characters.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I forgot where Kady/Asmodeus went. I think its time she returned to Julia's story line.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

I forgot where Kady/Asmodeus went. I think its time she returned to Julia's story line.

She's supposed to be a regular this season so she's getting paid even though she hasn't shown up at all yet.

I love how Eliot's taking full advantage of being High King with his fancy suit he was wearing this week.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought the last episode was kind of terrible. In the "holy loving poo poo you are all literally dumber than Trump" sense.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

AngryBooch posted:

Eh, if it follows the books even remotely, Asmodeus will go after Reynard on her own, and with Penny stuck on earth until he figures out his hands the show might break off their storyline for awhile. It would make sense, since they were a couple last season. I really like the direction this show has gone, overall. A lot of the pacing issues with the first season seem to be mitigated or resolved, and now that the show has caught up with the first book, it gives them the rest of the season to get to the beginning of the second book. There was a significant time jump between the two, so again, that would make sense.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I forget, where did the burny bracelet come from and what was its point, again?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

coyo7e posted:

I forget, where did the burny bracelet come from and what was its point, again?

I don't remember where it came from, but remember the dagger at the end of S1 would burn anyone who wasn't a "master magician," so I'm assuming it was acquired as a test of when Alice's powers would begin to fade, and at what rate.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't remember where it came from, but remember the dagger at the end of S1 would burn anyone who wasn't a "master magician," so I'm assuming it was acquired as a test of when Alice's powers would begin to fade, and at what rate.

It was the key to the wellspring of magic, which only someone with that much power could handle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Quentin tried to pick it up and it burned him, Alice was able to handle it fine and then she put it on her wrist as a way for the show to actually visualize her losing power, since that's kind of hard to get across otherwise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

muscles like this! posted:

She's supposed to be a regular this season so she's getting paid even though she hasn't shown up at all yet.

I love how Eliot's taking full advantage of being High King with his fancy suit he was wearing this week.

What's really working is how much Elliot is fully reveling in the King thing played against how much Penny finds the whole thing so loving stupid.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm trying to actually start watching this since its on Netflix now, but I still cant get over how old the actors look for highschool students

Whatever, I'll deal with and keep going

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm trying to actually start watching this since its on Netflix now, but I still cant get over how old the actors look for highschool students

Whatever, I'll deal with and keep going
They're explicitly grad students.

Or are you supposed to be in the Dark Archie thread?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Josh Lyman posted:

They're explicitly grad students.

Or are you supposed to be in the Dark Archie thread?

No, I'm just like 15 minutes into the first episode and just have expectations from reading the books

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, unlike the novel Brakebills is supposed to be post-graduate study instead of a replacement of college.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

They are not in high school.

Edit: oh there are other posts and I'm late

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 12, 2017

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
So is Alice going to be gone for one episode and then deniffinized? Gonna be a major departure, but I don't see them waiting a season or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Smashurbanipal posted:

So is Alice going to be gone for one episode and then deniffinized? Gonna be a major departure, but I don't see them waiting a season or two.

Book spoilers: They've indicated that they are going to explore what the afterlife is this season in the show. I'm not sure if that is in regards to bringing Alice back to life, who was never really dead in the books, just exploring the universe through space and time as an all powerful niffen, or if they mean Julia who in the books actually died in her encounter with Reynard but didn't know it and becomes elevated to a demigoddess after they explore the underworld. Or both.