Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's pretty much what every newer nissan looks like around here :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rear end posted:

Does he have the parking brake pulled? What the gently caress?

Watch his right side wheel as he comes off the pavement.

Bonus at the very end: his technique for straightening the wheels by stopping, reversing a little, then continuing forward again.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
These are the people you ride with in the bus,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82vK7vWmjH8&feature=youtu.be&t=4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T4HU4v87Ck

I hope the tree is okay.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea this looks normal.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

One of the downsides of our survival mechanisms is that we tend to turn into colossal assholes in life or death situations. This happened in Chicago a few months ago when a 767 engine exploded and caught the right wing on fire during takeoff: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rEC-rdIzFOc

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone just learned a valuable life lesson!

https://i.imgur.com/7IKzUMj.gifv

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Someone browses reddit :) That gif is really old, but then again I spend a lot of time on the internet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://vid.me/eExz

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Clip isn't long enough for context. Need to know if he was in the intersection while the light was yellow or not. Looks like a shittily painted intersection where they should have a stop line.

If you're past the stop line on a yellow, you're supposed to proceed through. Half of the drivers here don't understand that and stop suddenly as soon as the light turns yellow/red, with their car halfway into the crosswalk.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Michael Scott posted:

Clip isn't long enough for context. Need to know if he was in the intersection while the light was yellow or not. Looks like a shittily painted intersection where they should have a stop line.

If you're past the stop line on a yellow, you're supposed to proceed through. Half of the drivers here don't understand that and stop suddenly as soon as the light turns yellow/red, with their car halfway into the crosswalk.

My rule of thumb for yielding on lefts is that only one car gets to hang out in the intersection and wait, or else you get turners still trying to turn well after the red. I agree the clip starts too late, but this looks to be what's happening here.

As for stopping on the crosswalk, that's definitely not a yellow light thing. I see so many people slow down and come to a stop for a stale red and still end up with their entire car past the stop line. Some people just have no concept of how big or where their car actually is in relation to the road markings or just don't care.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saw a new one this morning, cars in a left turn lane waiting to go, two of them had crept well past the stop line which is business as usual.

Except the second car in the line apparently felt things weren't moving fast enough, and undercut the car in front of them to make their turn. That takes some gumption.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xergm posted:

My rule of thumb for yielding on lefts is that only one car gets to hang out in the intersection and wait, or else you get turners still trying to turn well after the red. I agree the clip starts too late, but this looks to be what's happening here.

As for stopping on the crosswalk, that's definitely not a yellow light thing. I see so many people slow down and come to a stop for a stale red and still end up with their entire car past the stop line. Some people just have no concept of how big or where their car actually is in relation to the road markings or just don't care.

Depends how big the intersection is. Here in my big city 3 cars can comfortably fit beyond the stop line within the instersection waiting to turn left, in each direction. The 3rd car will be half behind the white line and half in front, but they are still good to go once the light turns yellow/red.

A huge problem is left turners don't move far enough into the intersection when the light turns green. You're supposed to go 1/3rd in, they'll go 1/10th. I have to honk at them to move up so I can turn at the yellow with them.

Some of the light cycles can be 1min30secs or longer so it's real annoying to only let 1 car through each cycle.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 2, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Some top policing action here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-38838653

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

To be fair to the cops, it was a Corsa

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Problem: there's a corsa in the parking lot
Solution: blow it up
Problem: there's a corsa all over the parking lot

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xergm posted:

:agreed: Dude could easily have stopped before the crosswalk, he just didn't want to wait. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Speaking of stupid - on the way home yesterday, I get to a 4 way stop by my apartments where I have to take a left to get into the property. There's a big gently caress-off mail truck sitting in the turn lane with a solid green, blinker on, doing jack poo poo. I'm behind him, I honk, and....nothing. No movement or anything. I wait for a clearing in traffic, go right to get around the truck, and it's completely empty. No damage anywhere, no sign of a mail carrier nearby, just a truck blocking the turn lane and no other vehicles or anything around. Ended up calling local police with info on the truck since I had no clue if the person broke down and hoofed it or what. I mean seriously, if your poo poo breaks down or has problems, call someone and get it moved so it's not blocking everyone else.

Still doesn't top the girl I saw in a Chrysler minivan at 10pm last Saturday at flashing red lights who didn't move for a solid 30 seconds, then almost blasted into an SUV taking a left in front of her when I tapped the horn. She then proceeded to go left onto a 2 way street (same way I was heading), and into the left turn lane at the next set of lights. Apparently she had no idea what the hell she was doing or where she was going, because she fully reversed in the left lane, then took a wide swing to the right and got behind me in the lane going straight. That wasn't right either I guess, and she reversed and went to the right lane, blew through the stoplight and barreled down the road. Guessing drugs or alcohol on that one, but who knows.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Powershift posted:

Problem: there's a corsa in the parking lot
Solution: blow it up
Problem: there's a corsa all over the parking lot

Just like happened with that dead whale!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

They apologized, I'm sure that will make it all cool with the owner, he didn't really need a car anyway.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

xzzy posted:

We've had a lot of fog lately in the Chicago area, and the number of yokels that think the solution to visibility is running high beams everywhere is pretty amazing.

drat near had to wear sunglasses on my drive home from work.

I learned the counterintuitive fact that low beams work better in the fog from seeing Shell Answer Man commercials back in the late seventies. They really need to bring back a similar ad campaign. Unfortunately, the one I'm thinking of isn't on YouTube, but this one is a good example of the ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4flX6xaH46M

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I don't think that trick works anymore. It's a lot asking someone to look at the road for a full two seconds these days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's also the issue where 2 seconds of gap at 80 mph is enormous compared to 2 seconds of gap at whatever speeds they drove in the 70's.

I mean, that gap is still good safety advice, but the hole is going to be so big that people will constantly be sliding in front of you.

Also tires and brakes are superior to what they had back then.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Tires and brakes are better but reaction times are probably worse since no one seems to pay attention anymore. But that is like 80 yards. Maybe a bit much.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
30 car pile up from freeze rains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkZlc1jLEYk&feature=youtu.be

Video says fatal, but the news story doesn't.

http://koin.com/2017/02/03/dozens-of-cars-slide-on-icy-i-5-in-portland/

edit : start of the video is loud, so turn down the volume a bit.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

xzzy posted:

I mean, that gap is still good safety advice, but the hole is going to be so big that people will constantly be sliding in front of you.
That's the problem, right? It's not so much about how much room I want between myself and the car in front, it's about how much room I can make before people start constantly merging in front of me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's the problem, right? It's not so much about how much room I want between myself and the car in front, it's about how much room I can make before people start constantly merging in front of me.

Eh, if you really cared there's ways you can deal with it. Guarantee if you drive 5-10 mph slower than the rest of traffic you won't have a problem with the gap in front of you. :v:

Me, I just pay attention as best I can and accept the risk that I might pretzel myself into someone's bumper.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Lime Tonics posted:

30 car pile up from freeze rains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkZlc1jLEYk&feature=youtu.be

Video says fatal, but the news story doesn't.

http://koin.com/2017/02/03/dozens-of-cars-slide-on-icy-i-5-in-portland/

edit : start of the video is loud, so turn down the volume a bit.

I could see how a couple of those collisions might be fatal. The underride prevention bars on trailers probably aren't designed to withstand multiple cars piling into the back of a trailer. Impressive braking from several of the trucks, and of course people in passenger vehicles not paying attention and slamming into the truck wall.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

EightBit posted:

I could see how a couple of those collisions might be fatal. The underride prevention bars on trailers probably aren't designed to withstand multiple cars piling into the back of a trailer.

Those bars really aren't even designed for a collision from even just one car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3G-kcKN70

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I've always wanted to open up a combination truck stop and topless club called the Mansfield Bar.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Phanatic posted:

I've always wanted to open up a combination truck stop and topless club called the Mansfield Bar.

:golfclap:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

This is fantastic. Good job.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The thing that kills me about those videos is why are people just sitting in the loving road? There was obviously enough traction to sort of stop, the least you can do is get the gently caress over to the shoulder so other idiots going too fast can try to thread the needle. One or two guys got away with it until that 3rd semi plugged the hole and just sat there. No, the cops do not need you to "leave the crime scene intact". Safety is more important, even if it's just for yourself.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
Go Stanley!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYvUZ4y2z_0

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

loving old people
https://gfycat.com/CleanPreciousAnophelesmosquito

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

I love this. I wish the police had time and resources to care about all the retarded cyclists we have. But they don't even have the resources to investigate murders. :(

LloydDobler posted:

The thing that kills me about those videos is why are people just sitting in the loving road? There was obviously enough traction to sort of stop, the least you can do is get the gently caress over to the shoulder so other idiots going too fast can try to thread the needle. One or two guys got away with it until that 3rd semi plugged the hole and just sat there. No, the cops do not need you to "leave the crime scene intact". Safety is more important, even if it's just for yourself.

This is the case in pretty much every pileup video I've seen. People have a minor scrape then just sit there, then the next facebook twittrer comes plowing into you them. Get the gently caress out of the way! I'd loving gun it until I'm safe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

(TS10 means they ran a red light, basically)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

(TS10 means they ran a red light, basically)

So he made two mistakes, is open and admits he's been at fault, and is looking for advice in affordable insurance... I don't really follow why this is threadworthy?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PCOS Bill posted:

So he made two mistakes, is open and admits he's been at fault, and is looking for advice in affordable insurance... I don't really follow why this is threadworthy?

Probably isn't, but he should probably go take a remedial math course if he thinks 160 per month = 1600 per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, I'm down in Ft. Lauderdale and I have to ask: what's the deal with everyone running red lights all the time? And is there a 7-second delay where all directions go red (as opposed to the 2 seconds I'm used to back home) because everyone was running red lights, or is everyone running red lights because they know there's a huge delay?

And what's with the "gently caress you, I'm turning left here!" thing that happens when the light goes green? That's a new one for me...