Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inspector 34 posted:

Why? I mean why bother? There's no way you actually want people coming to your bar to drink for free, what happens when word gets out to the greater wino community that there's free booze to be had at your place?
I don't think there would be much of a line for drinking bar mat spillage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I can't tell Whisky, Bourbon, and Scotch apart. They all taste like whisky to me and I don't like them. :(

Except one time, I had an extremely extremely peaty scotch, a Laphroaig? That tasted really different to me and was super interesting.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Aramek posted:

I can't tell Whisky, Bourbon, and Scotch apart. They all taste like whisky to me and I don't like them. :(

Except one time, I had an extremely extremely peaty scotch, a Laphroaig? That tasted really different to me and was super interesting.

Laphroaig is awesome and I was literally just thinking about getting a bottle when I came across your post, so I think that settles it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

poop dood posted:

Catoctin Creek that was aged in maple syrup barrels.

This stuff is crap with sugar added to hide the crap a little.

Bourbon and rye are so inflated in price right now in the high end and the mid range is so good, there is little reason to look beyond Billet.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

This stuff is crap with sugar added to hide the crap a little.

Bourbon and rye are so inflated in price right now in the high end and the mid range is so good, there is little reason to look beyond Billet.

This. I see no reason to go for a high end rye when I could get an excellent scotch for the same price.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Liquor is disgusting and no one would drink it if it wasn't drugs. Talking about the flavour of something that's 40 percent alcohol is like talking about the subtle notes that you get from the cow poo poo that your shrooms were grown in.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

prom candy posted:

Liquor is disgusting and no one would drink it if it wasn't drugs. Talking about the flavour of something that's 40 percent alcohol is like talking about the subtle notes that you get from the cow poo poo that your shrooms were grown in.

Same but pineapple pizza.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
As long as we're on booze chat it was $7 sidecar night last night at the local craft cocktail bar. Was supposed to be made with E&J XO at that price but since we're regulars the bartender made them with Remy 1738 instead.

Which inevitably led to another round (at full price) despite my wife's insistence that we'd only do one each before walking in :homebrew:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Geoj posted:

As long as we're on booze chat it was $7 sidecar night last night at the local craft cocktail bar. Was supposed to be made with E&J XO at that price but since we're regulars the bartender made them with Remy 1738 instead.

Which inevitably led to another round (at full price) despite my wife's insistence that we'd only do one each before walking in :homebrew:
That's nothing compared to the time I bought 2 shots of Don Julio 1942 not knowing the price.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

App13 posted:

This. I see no reason to go for a high end rye when I could get an excellent scotch for the same price.

I actually stopped drinking scotch like a million years ago when I discovered how much further my dollar went towards bourbons and like the three ryes that were available.

prom candy posted:

Not really, but it's ok if you don't like it. I have a single small glass of liquor all the time because I like the flavor. Even well made moonshine that is like 60-80% alcohol has a discernible flavor other than just booze.

bongwizzard has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Feb 3, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are so many great bourbons at the $40 price point. And seriously diminishing returns beyond that.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
A local dive bar as something called a Mexican rhino:

Tequila + lime juice + cholula

I still haven't tried it because it sounds gross as gently caress.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yea, i don't know what the hot sauce is really going to bring to the table. A spicy margarita is good sometimes but never when it is just a normal one with some hot sauce dumped in.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

prom candy posted:

If it all tasted like poo poo people wouldn't take that first sip. Get a good aged scotch and it can be like sipping Dundee cake. Delicious.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Fozaldo posted:

If it all tasted like poo poo people wouldn't take that first sip. Get a good aged scotch and it can be like sipping Dundee cake. Delicious.

Yes they would otherwise teenagers would never drink beer.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It took a lot of hard work and gumption for me to graduate from Smirnoff Ice and Loaded Soda to beer and whiskey as a teenager. I definitely did not like the first sip.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Living in Canada makes me sad because of all the liquor chat. gently caress, booze is expensive as hell here.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

treiz01 posted:

Living in Canada makes me sad because of all the liquor chat. gently caress, booze is expensive as hell here.

I hear pot's cheap there.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Josh Lyman posted:

That's nothing compared to the time I bought 2 shots of Don Julio 1942 not knowing the price.

Oh definitely, could have been much worse but we went in expecting to drop maybe $20 with tip and ended up spending twice that before tip.

Then again I haven't had a traditional old fashioned in a few months, that alone was worth it.

Bartender also comped us shots of his smoked honey tequila along with the rest of the staff. Tip your bartenders well - at a non-dive bar you'll get it all back and then some.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Geoj posted:

Oh definitely, could have been much worse but we went in expecting to drop maybe $20 with tip and ended up spending twice that before tip.

Then again I haven't had a traditional old fashioned in a few months, that alone was worth it.

Bartender also comped us shots of his smoked honey tequila along with the rest of the staff. Tip your bartenders well - at a non-dive bar you'll get it all back and then some.
Wouldn't bartenders at a dive bar have more leeway to comp you drinks? :confused:

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Oldstench posted:

I hear pot's cheap there.

True and I have my medical card. But a 26 of bourbon or whiskey starts at $25-30 CAD and for something nice you could be looking at anywhere from $50-100.

Or I could spend $60 on a gram of Grapefruit Haze sugar wax that lasts me all week (I am a lightweight)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Josh Lyman posted:

Wouldn't bartenders at a dive bar have more leeway to comp you drinks? :confused:

At a dive bar I would wager you'll either encounter a bartender who doesn't give a gently caress or an owner who doesn't understand that comping a drink here or there will encourage patrons to come back and spend more money and doesn't allow the staff to comp drinks.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone have a recommendation for a $40 rye or Bourbon?

Content: spent $150 on new sheets and pillows at Target.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

App13 posted:

Content: spent $150 on new sheets and pillows at Target.

i like bulleit for rye and elijah craig 12 for bourbon

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, i don't know what the hot sauce is really going to bring to the table. A spicy margarita is good sometimes but never when it is just a normal one with some hot sauce dumped in.

Supposedly it balances out the bite of the tequila is what people tell me. Never been drunk enough to accept one.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Can confirm the Elijah Craig is really good bourbon. Evan Williams single barrel vintage is pretty great too and you can pick it up quite cheap in the US as I understand.

I like Rittenhouse rye but I'm just about to crack open a bottle of bulleit rye for the first time, so I'll report back...

Edit: the bulleit rye is pretty good in an old fashioned. Not as solid as rittenhouse, but worth the £19 it cost from Tesco's!

Randyslawterhouse has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Feb 3, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some ~$40 bourbons I've really enjoyed lately:

Wathen's
4 Roses Small Batch (and Single Barrel, but I think that's a little more)
Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr.
Belle Meade

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

treiz01 posted:

True and I have my medical card. But a 26 of bourbon or whiskey starts at $25-30 CAD and for something nice you could be looking at anywhere from $50-100.

Or I could spend $60 on a gram of Grapefruit Haze sugar wax that lasts me all week (I am a lightweight)

This is why I dont drink much all anymore. Today's superweeds just make being drunk so primitive.

Also damm, a gram of wax will last me like two weeks easy.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

App13 posted:

Bulleit is gross in either form. Figure out if you like the tall bottles or the short ones. I find stuff like Four Roses to be undrinkable.

Near pricepoint: Makers 46, woodford reserve, eagle rare 10 (personal fave of this list), basil haydens, Rowan's Creek (also personal fave, but high end of the prices)
Below: Rittenhouse (favorite for old fashioned's), Wild Turkey 101 :getin:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Basil Hayden's is good but I cant shake the rumor that it is just 100 proof Old Granddad watered down a bit. I tried both side by side and man they are close.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

prom candy posted:

Yes thank you.

"Mmm yes this delicious burning is so delicious mm yes I taste the ____"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

Basil Hayden's is good but I cant shake the rumor that it is just 100 proof Old Granddad watered down a bit. I tried both side by side and man they are close.

Did you measure in filtered water to the old granded to cut it to 80 proof?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

This is why I dont drink much all anymore. Today's superweeds just make being drunk so primitive.

Also damm, a gram of wax will last me like two weeks easy.

Ahaha I have been overdoing it recently as I had time off. Usually it is closer to 2 weeks.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

App13 posted:

Eagle Rare 10yr (bourbon)

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I bought the Whisky Thread

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sounds like someone is a vodka drinker.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

treiz01 posted:

True and I have my medical card.

Do you have a legit government of Canada medical card or one of those ones from a backroom dispensary? I've been wanting to check out the dispensaries that are popping up in my city but I'm kinda chickenshit.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Isn't Elijah Craig going NAS soon? Or already has? I think it's just called Small Batch now. I got a bottle for my birthday last year and it was still pretty good.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Did you measure in filtered water to the old granded to cut it to 80 proof?

Yea, but not in a super precise manner, but even if the rumors and true, hundred proof Old Granddad is a far nicer sipping whisky then I ever gave it credit for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, but not in a super precise manner, but even if the rumors and true, hundred proof Old Granddad is a far nicer sipping whisky then I ever gave it credit for.

Turns out both of my local BevMo's are out of Old Grand Dad 100 proof. :(