Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Bloody Pom posted:

I'd pick Eldar Aeldari. :shobon:

Aeldari, please.

No, seriously; Aeldari? Please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong
Well, that was possibly the quickest I've ever seen 1824 pages scroll by, amazing work by everyone involved in keeping this going and major points to PTN for managing to herd cats so effectively!

I guess since I've managed to make it this far that I should throw my hat in as a pilot, even though most of my experience is just "well, I can regularly beat the AI on Megamek in small engagements, with just IS Tech" So I am sure nothing at all could possibly go wrong.

No PM's but my contact should be Moleboy2001 at Gmail.com

This game has seriously re-kindled my love of battletech and I thank you all for that.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Moleboy posted:

Well, that was possibly the quickest I've ever seen 1824 pages scroll by, amazing work by everyone involved in keeping this going and major points to PTN for managing to herd cats so effectively!

I guess since I've managed to make it this far that I should throw my hat in as a pilot, even though most of my experience is just "well, I can regularly beat the AI on Megamek in small engagements, with just IS Tech" So I am sure nothing at all could possibly go wrong.

No PM's but my contact should be Moleboy2001 at Gmail.com

This game has seriously re-kindled my love of battletech and I thank you all for that.

From experience, picking up on the stats for your fancy toys is relatively easy, especially since the most important stuff (range and heat) are on the stat card.

Have you ever had an Against the Bot campaign throw 40k BV at you yet? Those battles are very fun so long as the AI doesn't go full retard on you trying to figure out where to move its mech.

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong

Remmon posted:

From experience, picking up on the stats for your fancy toys is relatively easy, especially since the most important stuff (range and heat) are on the stat card.

Have you ever had an Against the Bot campaign throw 40k BV at you yet? Those battles are very fun so long as the AI doesn't go full retard on you trying to figure out where to move its mech.

Nah, I've mostly been playing small unit engagements like Lance on Lance since I am still trying to get used to all of the different pieces to remember.

I can usually at least remember walk 3 / run or jump 5 just to stay even on the TH, but my main struggle is that I am so in deep trying to remember the different pieces that I can't think the 2 or 3 moves ahead. The AI usually can't quite capitalize on it a huge amount so long as I am wittling them down but I am guessing that an actual player would plan ahead to good back shots and other painful moves.

I suppose getting hilariously blown up in the thread will at least teach me a solid lesson or two.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Dolash posted:

Someone should run with this advice and launch a "Let's All Play WH40k and rewrite Imperium history" thread.

Except there'd be no point in scenario voting because Goons would always pick Orks. By like 33K it'd just be different Ork clans battling it out for who's Da Biggest until the Tyranids show up.

No quite exactly what you are looking for, but in The Game Room there is a long standing CYOA, Prometheus Cycle, about a rogue trader dynasty that is effectively rewriting the entire Imperium. There's been a recent attempt to scrub all the 40k from it so they can publish it without running afoul of GW legal, but it's still clearly 40k.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Olothreutes posted:

No quite exactly what you are looking for, but in The Game Room there is a long standing CYOA, Prometheus Cycle, about a rogue trader dynasty that is effectively rewriting the entire Imperium. There's been a recent attempt to scrub all the 40k from it so they can publish it without running afoul of GW legal, but it's still clearly 40k.

I stopped reading once that happened. It really managed to suck all the charm out somehow.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Volmarias posted:

I stopped reading once that happened. It really managed to suck all the charm out somehow.

He's obviously still writing 40k, except not, which I like to call fanfiction disease.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Remmon posted:

When I'm in a large fight like that against the bot I like to turn on the individual initiative rule. Makes them only figure moves for one unit at a time, speeds up the amount of time you spend waiting.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zaodai posted:

I actually meant the new-ish Battlefleet Gothic video game, but that thread would be funny. Unfortunately, 40k (as much as I love it) doesn't really have a bunch of territory changes and political interaction like Battletech, so I don't think even PTN could make that AU compelling, it'd just be lines on the map.

Also, as much as a Space Wolves fanboy as I am, I'd probably be pulling for the Tau in that thread. Because, as always, ROBOTS. Orks are cool too though.

Wouldn't that just be thousands of years of warfare on the planet Tau itself? Since the Tau only recently got space travel and all. But in all seriousness though, rewriting 40k seems like a massive job. Not only because you would have to figure out how to excise Chaos or nerf its influence into oblivion to give stories some meaning.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

evilmiera posted:

Wouldn't that just be thousands of years of warfare on the planet Tau itself? Since the Tau only recently got space travel and all. But in all seriousness though, rewriting 40k seems like a massive job. Not only because you would have to figure out how to excise Chaos or nerf its influence into oblivion to give stories some meaning.

GW actually had to go the opposite route and shoehorn more Chaos influence in because when the tournaments decided the storylines Chaos kept getting loving wrecked.

As for the Tau, I guess it depends on where you pick as a starting point in the timeline. Their tech is still the most interesting to me.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Dolash posted:

Someone should run with this advice and launch a "Let's All Play WH40k and rewrite Imperium history" thread.

Except there'd be no point in scenario voting because Goons would always pick Orks. By like 33K it'd just be different Ork clans battling it out for who's Da Biggest until the Tyranids show up.

It's more of a reframe than a rewrite, but Loel sort of did that in his CYOA.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I was unaware that Aerotech was so ridiculously designed, no obviously don't do that. I was just thinking that a spaceships round would be a fun surprise.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

I was unaware that Aerotech was so ridiculously designed, no obviously don't do that. I was just thinking that a spaceships round would be a fun surprise.

AeroTech isn't poorly designed--it's actually a better balanced game than BattleTech. Every fighter has a clear role to fill, the standardized weapons ranges make some marginal/poo poo weapons legitimately powerful in AeroTech, and the squadron mechanics work really well. It's just not a game that lends itself to internet play. Normally you could trust your opponent to keep track of his own stuff (which is tracked on the unit's record sheet), but that's not possible online (I'd have to track everything and even a tiny mistake matters). Compared to BattleTech where, if I forget to subtract ammo for half the players, I can just shrug and call it a nice bonus--they started with an extra round pre-loaded in the gun barrel. There's too much to track and more of it is vital--and it's not something I could easily delegate to someone else.

Funny as it would be to watch someone squish their pilots overthrusting for too long in a 20 safe thrust 30 max thrust light fighter it's just not a challenge I'm comfortable taking on.

Every so often one of the players has difficulty differentiating units from one another (probably because they're not the ones moving them around). I can't imagine how much worse that would be when all the units on the map are some variation of a triangle, a cylinder, a sphere, or a combination of the three. :haw:

Edit: I also don't have any warship stats, which makes it even harder to play.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 4, 2017

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Volmarias posted:

I stopped reading about when time travel and "memetic hazards' started becoming a commonplace thing.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
On top of that, you get to deal with gravity wells. I've got a copy of TR3057 around here somewhere, probably one of my favorites for all the ship boondoggle stories. The Cameron-class was the Star League's F-35.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do the whole thing in Mercenary Air Squadron imo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Preechr posted:

On top of that, you get to deal with gravity wells. I've got a copy of TR3057 around here somewhere, probably one of my favorites for all the ship boondoggle stories. The Cameron-class was the Star League's F-35.

You would love XTRO: Boondoggles then.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Preechr posted:

The Cameron-class was the Star League's F-35.

The Enterprise-class was the Star League's F-35. They built a ship so big they couldn't get it to move in space.

They actually just couldn't get the engines to power up. If they'd managed that it would've moved just fine. :ssh:

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Enterprise-class was the Star League's F-35. They built a ship so big they couldn't get it to move in space.

They actually just couldn't get the engines to power up. If they'd managed that it would've moved just fine. :ssh:

So more like the F-35 then? After all, that has had it fair share of engine difficulties, including but not limited to the engine catching on fire (in a bad way) during start up or idle if the wind happens to be coming from the wrong direction.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Enterprise is one of the more successful designs in that book, too. There's mechs that literally don't have heat sinks.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Not even engine heat sinks?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

habituallyred posted:

Not even engine heat sinks?

Correct. Literally did not have a single working heatsink.

It makes the original Matar, which merely didn't have working legs, look good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And even that was still preferable to the "we can't believe we thought this would ever fly" Pilot Killer Scorpion LAM

Or the Seabass Submersible Aircraft Artificial Reef.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zaodai posted:

GW actually had to go the opposite route and shoehorn more Chaos influence in because when the tournaments decided the storylines Chaos kept getting loving wrecked.

As for the Tau, I guess it depends on where you pick as a starting point in the timeline. Their tech is still the most interesting to me.

I meant more in terms of story copouts like " oh no but you see killing all these demons did absolutely nothing at all making all battles pointless" which might fit the 40k theme but makes for pretty boring stories.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

As I understand it, party of the style guide for authors writing for the 40k universe is "nothing ever gets better". It's part of why I grew tired of it really quickly.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nothing ever really gets worse, either. The timeline isn't allowed to move in either direction. That's why Abbadon the Despoiler is supposed to be such a badass but is regarding as a joke. He's gotten his rear end beat like 50 times and all his Black Crusades have amounted to literally nothing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I heard Cadia actually fell recently?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

It's been discussed on this very page, but this isn't the thread for Warhammer 40k. I'm writing the combat theater vote, don't worry. There're a lot of options this time so it's taking a while.

Go ahead, speculate wildly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Artificer posted:

E: PTN posted asking people to stop like, right as I hit post. Apologies.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Option B: We're going back... TO THE HOMEWORLDS!?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's been discussed on this very page, but this isn't the thread for Warhammer 40k. I'm writing the combat theater vote, don't worry. There're a lot of options this time so it's taking a while.

Go ahead, speculate wildly.

The hell is option B? That's one of those fringe areas owned by the NRWR that nobody else knows about, based on my memory of one of your prior state of the sphere updates. Also, no mission choice in the heart of the NRWR itself, so if Uncle Stevie is getting murdered, we have no gameplay say in it. Hm.

Pirate raids look like they're off to a rollicking start in option A, though.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Option C is probably a mission to see how many nukes the Taurians can drop at once.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

My guess is that Option B is a Deep Periphery stopover point on the way back to the Homeworlds.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
:eyepop: That's a lot of fights to choose from. And everyone seems to be leaving the NRWR alone!

vorebane fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 5, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

vorebane posted:

:eyepop: That's a lot of fights to choose from. And everyone seems to be leaving the NRWR alone!

Which is the most worrisome for me. We just voted to murder Uncle Stevie, and there's not even a mission for it. :ohdear:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Looks like there's gonna be shenanigans on New Avalon. I think I might be in the minority in that I hope the crazy impossible state of the Draconis Suns manages to survive more than one generation.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Zaodai posted:

Which is the most worrisome for me. We just voted to murder Uncle Stevie, and there's not even a mission for it. :ohdear:

That's fine, we all knew Uncle Stevie was going to survive because he was secretly a Nergal all along anyway.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
That's a lot of border skirmishes but it's B and F that stand out otherwise. Curious to see what fluff is going on in NRWR to spark that one. Draconis always has a bug up it's rear end about something it seems, but hoping for some political backstabbing powergrabs.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

B or D are looking interesting politically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

paragon1 posted:

Looks like there's gonna be shenanigans on New Avalon. I think I might be in the minority in that I hope the crazy impossible state of the Draconis Suns manages to survive more than one generation.

That's way too far north to be New Avalon. New Avalon's southeast of Terra. Looks like old Draconis March territory, somewhere around Bremond, I think. Probably either a false flag op to get the old Draconis March troops riled up enough to attack former Combine troops who've been their hereditary enemies for centuries, or an actual attack by rogue ex-DCMS guys to do the same thing.

• Locked thread