Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

It's weird how Watch Dogs 2 makes me feel both more and less hopeful about Ubisoft. It has more personality and quality than anything they've released in a long while, but almost none of that inspiration appears in the game design. The handful of novel mechanics don't get explored in much depth. There's a really cool robot-stealth-hacking-social-engineering game in there that got crammed into a shallow GTA mold and glittered with map icons.

Agreed 100%

Just given the detail of the world, I often found myself imagining what it would be like playing a more interesting
game on the same map. Someone really needs to have the balls to make a big open world game that smashes the played out GTA Icon hunting structure. It's just so done to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

some dude on NeoGAF posted:

OK beast mode is fantastic. Have tested

Until dawn - much better performance
Bloodborne - better still frame pacing issues though
Just cause - a revelation a different game.
Mad max - better performance
YAKUZA 0 - better when roaming city
Games seems smoother overall. perhaps where would of seen 1-2 frames dropped . (tried destiny)
Side note: vr 3d is fantastic.

People on NeoGAF are testing and posting videos of games using Boost Mode. I'm sure Digital Foundry will spend the next month doing exhaustive tests, but it looks like it can make a solid difference for some games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Skeematic posted:

Does this essentially mean you just go to your friends house, add your account, plug in hdd, and your good to go?

Correct. This will also work if they have a digital license, or if you're using a disc (and your install is from a disc) instead of adding your own account.

Currently there isn't a "copy" option, only a "move" option, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

veni veni veni posted:

Just given the detail of the world, I often found myself imagining what it would be like playing a more interesting
game on the same map.

I felt the same exact way playing the Division. The level of detail was just amazing and really impressive on its own, how much cooler would it have been if you were actually playing a narrative within that world instead of shooting respawning convicts for loot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Big Bidness posted:

People on NeoGAF are testing and posting videos of games using Boost Mode. I'm sure Digital Foundry will spend the next month doing exhaustive tests, but it looks like it can make a solid difference for some games.
Yep, here's Bloodborne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deb-EaLTgzA

Pro first, Amateur second.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Boost mode looks like it really helps Witcher 3- no stuttering in the swamps or Novigrad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho4UzZlzzX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhKujHqK6gE

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well, poo poo. I guess I have to upgrade then at some point if Beast mode is doing this much good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
But stux said it couldn't be done!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

univbee posted:

I don't think any drive out there saturates SATA III.

Downloading the Beta Firmware now to test if externals work on any console (with the beta installed, of course).

NVMe drives sure as heck do, but they're also not connected through SATA III. They're either PCI-e or M.2 based, neither of which, unfortunately, you can make work on a PS4 without buying a converter to SATA III, at which point you may as well just buy a SATA III SSD for half the $/GB.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yep, here's Bloodborne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deb-EaLTgzA

Pro first, Amateur second.

:discourse:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
improved bloodborne was always my condition for getting a pro and i was kind of relieved because i never thought it would happen..... noooo....

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

goferchan posted:

improved bloodborne was always my condition for getting a pro and i was kind of relieved because i never thought it would happen..... noooo....

Yeah same. Better start saving 😰

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man I wish I'd gotten into this beta. :\

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

goferchan posted:

For me it was Witcher 3, but I'm at the end of that game so I don't see myself upgrading now. When RDR2 comes out I'll probably jump to a Pro.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah same. Better start saving 😰

Yeah

It's still Switch first then see if Pro's drop any by next year though I think.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Only a five month wait for this feature that will make Pro patches superfluous, good job Sony.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Healbot posted:

Only a five month wait for this feature that will make Pro patches superfluous, good job Sony.

I wonder if they didn't expect developers to be like "no, we aren't doing that unprofitable extra work for an old game" Or are they worried about Scorpio (Whose actual specs and price is still unknown at this point, right?)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Healbot posted:

Not really, the checkbox won't enable larger framebuffers or supersampling or LOD levels or etc, nor will it overcome a framerate cap the game is enforcing itself. It's overclocking, it won't change what the game is trying to do.

Billy Gnosis posted:

I wonder if they didn't expect developers to be like "no, we aren't doing that unprofitable extra work for an old game" Or are they worried about Scorpio (Whose actual specs and price is still unknown at this point, right?)

I suspect they've had their QA teams trying it with various games and found few enough problems that they felt comfortable shipping it with a "use at your own risk" disclaimer in case some obscure title they didn't test acts up.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 3, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
My dubious purchasing decision became less dubious yay

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Healbot posted:

There's probably a reason it's an opt-in system setting, it's gonna break some games. Pro patches get QA'ed (in theory)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Billy Gnosis posted:

i think they wanted to get the system out there and get through the holiday without making the base system look obsolete. so they partnered with a few studios to make pro patches to showcase 4k and HDR to resonate with the marketing strategy of the pro to the owners of high end tv's and that was that.

boost mode isn't pro patching. its over supplying resources so that when the game asks for them it gets them instead of choking. pro patches will continue to be necessary for improved visuals

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok ok but should I get a pro guys?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

boost mode isn't pro patching. its over supplying resources so that when the game asks for them it gets them instead of choking. pro patches will continue to be necessary for improved visuals
Also games that have a built-in 30fps cap would need a patch to lift that. On the bright side, games that struggle to hit their caps should benefit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok ok but should I get a pro guys?

yes you need one if you want a dpad. thanks nintendo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i would be very interested to see what happens in games that have uncapped framerates and no pro patches now.

the only ones i know of with uncapped modes are hitman and nioh but i think both are pro patched so boost mode won't work

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Just got a Pro 2 week ago :black101:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Real hurthling! posted:

yes you need one if you want a dpad. thanks nintendo

What if I dont have a 4k TV should I still get one?

I found this ps4 slim deal..

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What if I dont have a 4k TV should I still get one?

I found this ps4 slim deal..

how you gonna play 40 dollar sf2 with no dpad m8?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

acksplode posted:

There's probably a reason it's an opt-in system setting, it's gonna break some games. Pro patches get QA'ed (in theory)

Yeah, it looks like Soma crashes on startup. I'm sure there will be a few games that just won't work.

Real hurthling! posted:

i would be very interested to see what happens in games that have uncapped framerates and no pro patches now.

the only ones i know of with uncapped modes are hitman and nioh but i think both are pro patched so boost mode won't work

There's a video on YouTube of Rainbow Six Siege running at 110 FPS with Boost on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Big Bidness posted:

Yeah, it looks like Soma crashes on startup. I'm sure there will be a few games that just won't work.

a bunch of publishers are about to get a lot of really annoying support tickets for dead games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Big Bidness posted:

There's a video on YouTube of Rainbow Six Siege running at 110 FPS with Boost on.

sweet. probably need a monitor to see it though right? tvs usually don't have support for that sort of thing do they?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Hooray! I made a dubious TV purchase to follow up the dubious purchase of the Pro! :toot:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Actually, Ubi makes good games most of the time and R6:Siege owns bones.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Actually, Ubi makes one good game (Assassins Creed 2) all the time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You guys are making me want to pro after I just got back from spending $600 on a suit for a wedding :(

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

You guys are making me want to pro after I just got back from spending $600 on a suit for a wedding :(

wtf you can't rent suits anymore?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Real hurthling! posted:

a bunch of publishers are about to get a lot of really annoying support tickets for dead games

It'll be a few emails in before they start adding disclaimers to their support portals saying "play in not-boosted mode idiots, we're not supporting it".

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Winkie01 posted:

Depends on if you're part of a wedding party that calls for custom suits

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Winkie01 posted:

You can't if you don't want to look like a shabby dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Depends on if you're part of a wedding party that calls for custom suits

:sever: