Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
you gotta send all commands by fax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Powaqoatse posted:

i had to help my sister with a thing a week ago & used teamviewer :ohdear:

it was just an app she opened and then closed and deleted after, i dont think she even has admin rights on her macbook

did i gently caress up bigtime?

if you were also using a mac and you both have iMessage set up, you can just open messages.app, select a convo with her, click something (her name I think, don't have it in front of me ATM) in upper right area of the window, and request to view her screen. after the connection is established the person on the being-viewed end can opt to give the viewer remote control (via the blinking icon in the menu bar which tells you your screen is being viewed). this connection also gives you voice chat

you are excused for not knowing about any of this because apple hides it behind a non intuitive interface in a place where you might not expect it. it's a nice built in tech support tool once you know about it

oh and afaik aside from the startup requests going through iMessage it's all peer to peer. underlying screen sharing is vnc protocol over an encrypted channel or something like that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Subjunctive posted:

what are the regulatory constraints? windows update has the ability to execute commands given server instruction, as do all browsers with a decent update model

in this case our only specific constraint is that all data must be stored in canada. our clients have requested that any data stored offsite be encrypted, and they have ongoing concerns re remote data storage. basically everyone uses rdi for offsite work and all onsite systems use bitlocker. updates are managed by wsus locally, enforced by gpo and all automatic updates on 3rd party software are disabled, updating 3rd party applications is handled by sccm or ninite*.

my concern is providing a direct control channel to the server from a 3rd party cloud service

*yeah, i know, this is a potentially huge issue waiting to happen, since you're trusting their cached binaries implicitly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pr0zac posted:

same, don't doubt there's some crazy regulatory thing around lawyer stuff I don't know, am interested in what it is tho

this isn't a specifically regulatory compliance thing, this is a "our balls will be nailed to the wall if the systems are breached through our maintenance and monitoring system" thing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

infernal machines posted:

in this case our only specific constraint is that all data must be stored in canada. our clients have requested that any data stored offsite be encrypted, and they have ongoing concerns re remote data storage. basically everyone uses rdi for offsite work and all onsite systems use bitlocker. updates are managed by wsus locally, enforced by gpo and all automatic updates on 3rd party software are disabled, updating 3rd party applications is handled by sccm or ninite*.

this sounds p good, imo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bonus secfuck: while setting up some workstations for a client, borrowed from an associated company, all the laptops had bitlocker enabled, with a pin required at boot. the pin was helpfully printed on a label affixed on the palmrest of each laptop

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

wyoak posted:

whichever you use, don't let your password manager hook into your browser

assuming you arent joking, please explain

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Rufus Ping posted:

reduction (arguably elimination) of attack surface

If your password manager is filling out forms for you, it's probably doing some outrageous poo poo like injecting JS into the page you're viewing. Bridging the browser / password manager gap is how we ended up with multiple lastpass vulns along the lines of "whoops, turns out we exposed all your passwords to any website that asked for them"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

reduction (arguably elimination) of attack surface

If your password manager is filling out forms for you, it's probably doing some outrageous poo poo like injecting JS into the page you're viewing. Bridging the browser / password manager gap is how we ended up with multiple lastpass vulns along the lines of "whoops, turns out we exposed all your passwords to any website that asked for them"

this is why i only use lastpass for dumb poo poo i don't care about like my forums password, but not my email or bank

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

lastpass fuckups aren't password manager fuckups. reducing attack surface is fine, but be wary of providing advice which will cause the user to think of the software as a hindrance

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
i think the solution here is to pick a password manager that isnt written by morons rather than lumber yourself with something you have to copy/paste from by hand like a god drat cave man

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

something you have to copy/paste from by hand like a god drat cave man

a bunch of text files in a TrueCrypt archive, in my case

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i was curious so i checked how many accounts i have in lastpass and it's 171

how in the gently caress do i have 171 accounts for anything i use like 10 websites + apps, tops

(note that i am not a computer janitor either and i don't keep work passwords in lastpass anyway)

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

pr0zac posted:

same, don't doubt there's some crazy regulatory thing around lawyer stuff I don't know, am interested in what it is tho

wordperfect rce

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cold on a Cob posted:

i was curious so i checked how many accounts i have in lastpass and it's 171

how in the gently caress do i have 171 accounts for anything i use like 10 websites + apps, tops

(note that i am not a computer janitor either and i don't keep work passwords in lastpass anyway)

That actually sounds around where I am. It's not as high as you think when you start going through them.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
320 accounts for me in 1Password. gently caress.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

i also have all of my licence keys in my keepass file

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Raere posted:

wordperfect rce

first find a ipx/spx network driver for those remaining wordperfect for dos users

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Rufus Ping posted:

The track record for password managers doing browsing integration tends not to be the greatest is all, but yeah if it's the difference between using one and keeping a text doc in your dropbox directory, integrate away

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
new york just passed legislation requiring all customer data being held in our industry to be encrypted in transit and at rest

people keep asking us if our software is compliant and the official answer from on high is "redirect them to sales" because the unofficial answer is "no and we're so boned lol"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
one advantage to browser integration in your password manager is protecting yourself from phishing attacks - convincing someone to copy-paste their password into a phishing site is just as easy as convincing them to type it in, while fooling the browser integration is (at least in theory) a bit more challenging.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

A Pinball Wizard posted:

new york just passed legislation requiring all customer data being held in our industry to be encrypted in transit and at rest

people keep asking us if our software is compliant and the official answer from on high is "redirect them to sales" because the unofficial answer is "no and we're so boned lol"

Does it specify the method? If not, time to just XOR all the things!

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Volmarias posted:

I assume it says something like "industry standard encryption," so that means they can get away with 3DES.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Volmarias posted:

quote:

Section 500.15 Encryption of Nonpublic Information
(a)
As part of its cybersecurity program, based on its Risk Assessment, each Covered Entity shall implement controls, including encryption, to protect Nonpublic Information held or transmitted by the Covered Entity both
in transit over external networks and at rest.
(1)
To the extent a Covered Entity determines that encryption of Nonpublic Information in transit over
external networks is infeasible, the Covered Entity may instead secure such Nonpublic Information using effective alternative compensating controls reviewed and approved by the Covered Entity’s CISO.
(2)
To the extent a Covered Entity determines that encryption of Nonpublic Information at rest is infeasible,
the Covered Entity may instead secure such Nonpublic Information using effective alternative compensating controls reviewed and approved by the Covered Entity’s CISO.
(b) To the extent that a Covered Entity is utilizing compensating controls under (a) above, the feasibility of
encryption and effectiveness of the compensating controls shall be reviewed by the CISO at least annually.

so I guess as long as the csio says "rdp using self-signed certs is a-ok" and "every help desk monkey at our msp is an authorized user now" then it's all good!

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 4, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Volmarias posted:

That actually sounds around where I am. It's not as high as you think when you start going through them.

yeah, we have a few dozen just for the billion servicers our student loans have been split and sold to over the years

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CommunistPancake posted:

I assume it says something like "industry standard encryption," so that means they can get away with 3DES.

Which would be dumb, but not completely terrible.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

wyoak posted:

3rd parties are better than opening 3389 or god forbid whatever port VNC uses imo

maybe not teamviewer tho

put up your own rdp gateway microsoft has already given you a solution

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

anthonypants posted:

idk but its what i use

same. it's why I asked

just so loving convenient compared to any alternative I've found

downsides so far include: may have left something NWS up on my desktop :ohdear:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

pctD posted:

320 accounts for me in 1Password. gently caress.

482 :/

I feel like that number actually went up rapidly after I started using a manager since I no longer give a gently caress if I have an account somewhere or not because all of the passwords are unique.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i miscounted because apparently lastpass started helpfully adding newer accounts to groups at some point, so it's actually 260

there's a part of me that really wishes i could nuke most of these accounts. at least they all have generated passwords so idgaf when the sites get hacked

sometimes i get emails from sites that got hacked and it's like 'oh yeah that loving site'

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

El Mero Mero posted:

I feel like that number actually went up rapidly after I started using a manager since I no longer give a gently caress if I have an account somewhere or not because all of the passwords are unique.

yeah this

when i was searching for a job year before last i had to register for more than one bespoke HR portal for whatever lovely company i was applying for, who comes up with this poo poo? thankfully i never got any callbacks on those places

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah this

when i was searching for a job year before last i had to register for more than one bespoke HR portal for whatever lovely company i was applying for, who comes up with this poo poo? thankfully i never got any callbacks on those places
i've got like a dozen ___.taleo.net passwords saved, gently caress looking for a job

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Jewel posted:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=852751

cryptkeeper set all passwords to the character 'p' (and your original password no longer worked) because encfs changed the way the stdin bridge was parsed

wait wait wait, did I get this correctly? encfs which changes its command line interface in a random bug fix is stable enough to get into the next Debian stable release... while cryptkeeper which is unmaintained and thus by definition as stable as any application can ever be is... already gone from Debian for being too unstable :pusheen:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
isn't teamviewer the app that all those scammers calling from "Microsoft security" tell you to use?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Jimmy Carter posted:

isn't teamviewer the app that all those scammers calling from "Microsoft security" tell you to use?

It is one of many yeah.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jimmy Carter posted:

Yep. They keep cycling through 7 day demo accounts.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hacker Dumps iOS Cracking Tools Allegedly Stolen from Cellebrite

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i have 40 something accounts on keepass, and some of the more useful keys to avoid losing. couldve been noticeably more, but im slow to visit random old poo poo so i add new accounts and change info on the old ones as they come and go

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

*me catching up on thread* "lol shaggar" :allears:

i'm a big proponent of surface area limitation taken to the extreme which includes not installing bullshit software on servers and such. there are many reasons why installing third-party software on servers is a bad idea, the primary being that unless it is packaged and supported by someone the installs wont get updated. also those environments where windows firewall is disabled on all servers because "durr legacy something something drink a litre of piss".

anyway, where possible i'll try and find a first-party solution which is secure and meets requirements before even considering third-party sw. RDS gateway mentioned by bangers is one. SSH tunnel (or any VPN tunnel really) as mentioned by OSI is also good because you are still using the first-party product only you're adding a layer to ensure it's secure.

installing garbage software which doesn't really even have any use case in tyool 2017 outside of abject laziness and adherence to being a shitbird helps no one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

for actualy content, xpost from the cisco thread:

the spyder posted:

My night thus far has involved hash cat, several GPU's, and the admin password for our 7010 chassis. I don't even want to talk about how we got here, the short answer is former employee. Even with half a dozen GPU's at my disposal, it would still be 6 months to brute-force the password according to the software. This. This is why you don't let a site manage its own gear. God.drat.It. (Excuse the rant).

lmao

• Locked thread