Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how is it so far. i have heard mixed things about it so far. mostly AI complaints. my internet is poo poo so who knows how long it will take til the download is done.

I like it a lot but the game is much better when you realize that it's Far Cry with friends. Playing solo is fine but it's way harder. The vehicle handling is janky AF on keyboard and mouse but other than that, I'm digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
https://gfycat.com/AnotherNegativeHyrax

the combat roll slays me

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Deakul posted:

I loved the cars in GTA4 cause they actually felt like vehicles, can't agree on that at all.

Wasn't the driving in GTA4 updated at some point because it was too floaty? I could swear that was the case, but it's been so long I could be wrong

It's definitely a game to play with friends, I don't think I'd really enjoy this single player at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

I like it a lot but the game is much better when you realize that it's Far Cry with friends. Playing solo is fine but it's way harder. The vehicle handling is janky AF on keyboard and mouse but other than that, I'm digging it.

yeah, sounds about right. i am ok with that.

Obsurveyor posted:

AI is bad. Maybe you have to give them orders or something but they have barely ever fired unless someone gets real, real close. They won't get on their own dirt bikes either but they'll teleport straight to you if you fly down a mountain, get knocked off and die get off yours.

I am sure they will fix some of the issues before launch or at least in patches. i just want to play as some uber commando shooting scicarios in the head john wick style with friends.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Tamayachi posted:

It's definitely a game to play with friends, I don't think I'd really enjoy this single player at all.

Yeah, it's pretty much just Rambo when you're solo.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am sure they will fix some of the issues before launch or at least in patches. i just want to play as some uber commando shooting scicarios in the head john wick style with friends.

Yeah, totally agree.

Need goons to join the Task Force so we can get some groups together tonight/this weekend. I don't think platform matters, it will show you the relevant people so join up by friending me on Uplay. I think I've got applications enabled too, so put your SA name in the application via website to join if you're on console.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I keep getting an error when I request to join so I'll just keep trying I guess.

Ended up getting an email for beta access on another account (PS4). Are invites locked to platform? If not then some of you PC players could give it a try. Uplays are riceosity and v_anaxophus

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
This game really gives me the same feeling I got playing the old Mercenaries game on Xbox, except with multiplayer, I'm really diggin it

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Is the character creation freezing up for anybody else?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
So far my only gripes are I can't seem to get my key binds to actually stick, and the bullet drop is way too exaggerated.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

four different rabbits posted:

sent a friend request(from vicoaks)... it'll be a ps4 code

Accepted. Thanks!

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Obsurveyor posted:

AI is bad. Maybe you have to give them orders or something but they have barely ever fired unless someone gets real, real close. They won't get on their own dirt bikes either but they'll teleport straight to you if you fly down a mountain, get knocked off and die get off yours.
You really need to issue the open fire command ( tab key then scroll wheel to the open fire command - took me a few goes to work that one out ) to get them to engage at distance, and having the targets spotted and in the open helps. The AI will then accurately drop badguys in their vision before returning to their dumb state. I really think it's a single player gameplay thing, presumably it's so the ai doesn't muck up your sneaky tactical approach or shoot all the bad guys before you get a chance to be the hero.
The game really makes me miss The Division's cover movement, this really feels like a backwards step - unless there's a stick to cover button I haven't noticed. I like the open nature of it, the open world, the tactical planning, the customisation, but controls are a serious bleh. Even the Helicopters don't jive right, upping your forward momentum while trying to climb ( or even just maintain your altitude ) doesn't seem possible and I'm buggered if I'm gonna be able to land this plane loaded up with fuel with such a lovely approach next to high voltage power lines.

( I really am not normally a negative guy, and I do like a lot of aspects of the game, but the controls are a serious bummer )

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tamayachi posted:

This game really gives me the same feeling I got playing the old Mercenaries game on Xbox, except with multiplayer, I'm really diggin it

oh poo poo really. loving loved that game.

Obsurveyor posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much just Rambo when you're solo.

Yeah, totally agree.

Need goons to join the Task Force so we can get some groups together tonight/this weekend. I don't think platform matters, it will show you the relevant people so join up by friending me on Uplay. I think I've got applications enabled too, so put your SA name in the application via website to join if you're on console.

I am ok with being rambo in SP. you can rambo most Ubisoft games so it am not that surprised. I hope they fix the ragdolls/dead bodies immediately vanishing issue. i dont mind it, but i like looking at my rampage drat it. also what console? i am doing ps4.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

quote:

Even the Helicopters don't jive right, upping your forward momentum while trying to climb ( or even just maintain your altitude ) doesn't seem possible and I'm buggered if I'm gonna be able to land this plane loaded up with fuel with such a lovely approach next to high voltage power lines.

Yes! The helicopter is so bad but it looks to me like maybe the animation is just hooked up backwards. It looks like it's going forwards/backwards when you're ascending/descending and ascending/descending when you're going forwards/backwards.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Car driving feels like it has the same issue as Watch Dogs 2 does. That drat camera. It still floats over the right or left shoulder when you hop in to drive, turning the other way will make the camera shift over to the other shoulder, making turning the car look all fucky. Turn enough then it does a sweet cool camera angle that makes it even harder to judge where you're turning.
Slow down a bit, use the normal brakes and don't touch that loving handbrake you'll just turn sideways and slide.

Deakul posted:

Reddit basically went in expecting a Ghost Recon of yore even though literally every single piece of footage we've seen before the beta has showed it as anything but.
I don't know why people still expect this. The series started to drift in the second game of the series.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
My impressions so far:
-the gunplay feels pretty good with bullet travel time and drop that makes hitting a sprinting target at a distance rewarding
-I didn't like the driving until I realized I could just plow my way through a forest and down a cliff with the vehicle taking minimal damage; some vehicle feel like they handle better than others
-the helicopter flight model is weird, but once I learned how it works it made flying around a breeze
-the same flight model makes the miniguns installed on some of the light heloes basically useless since it's practically impossible to aim them at anything that isn't somewhat level
-when told to open fire, the AI ghosts are surprisingly effective in combat
-the open world gameplay feels like the standard Ubisoft fare with some inspiration taken from MGS 5
-on Ghost difficulty basic enemies can down you in 3-4 hits at most
-bumbling around with friends is hilarious and it is nice that players can each tackle different things across the map

For those that have issues with helicopters, here's what I figured out: the flight model for helis has two states that can be described as "low speed flight" and "high speed".
When in low speed, Shift will make the helo climb and using the WASD keys on their own will make it more around at a slow pace; holding down Shift+W will make the helo accelerate and transition to high speed flight, at which point the it will start losing altitude while it keeps accelerating: at that point letting go of the W key while holding Shift will make the helo fly level while maintaining speed and control almost like a plane.
Letting go of Shift will make the helo decelerate back to low speed flight on its own.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 4, 2017

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
My impressions (PC version):

KB+M controls are kinda bad. Shooting feels fine, but the game auto-switches the camera over shoulders and the tutorial button is the same one you use for climbing over objects. Considering I'm on a keyboard with a bajillion buttons, that's ridiculous.

Driving controls like poo poo. Colliding with anything ends with this soft physics that looks like it's ramming a stack of mattresses or something.

The game sounds like poo poo. Same problem the Division beta had where the reverb isn't controlled by the main volume setting, so if you turn it down, it'll sound like you're playing the game in a loving echo chamber. Also, the game just goes mute randomly when you die.

It's easy as hell. Literally all the missions can be solved by half-assed stealth with little or no effort involved, even on higher difficulties.

Runs kinda poorly on my nearly top-end rig. (6-core i7, 1080, 32 GB Ram, etc.)

Super boring, shallow, and buggy as hell. I know it's a beta, but the game comes out in like a month, so whatever the first release version is is already pushed to a disc somewhere. Gonna have to be a hell of a day 1 patch to solve all of the problems we had.

Good luck, Ubisoft. Probably the worst thing I've played from them in years.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

By the way you can switch shoulder aim - on PC it's middle mouse button

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

By the way you can switch shoulder aim - on PC it's middle mouse button

Yup, but the game will auto-switch when it thinks it should (which is horribly inconsistent and actually kind of annoying at times.)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DrGreatJob posted:

My impressions (PC version):

KB+M controls are kinda bad. Shooting feels fine, but the game auto-switches the camera over shoulders and the tutorial button is the same one you use for climbing over objects. Considering I'm on a keyboard with a bajillion buttons, that's ridiculous.

Driving controls like poo poo. Colliding with anything ends with this soft physics that looks like it's ramming a stack of mattresses or something.

The game sounds like poo poo. Same problem the Division beta had where the reverb isn't controlled by the main volume setting, so if you turn it down, it'll sound like you're playing the game in a loving echo chamber. Also, the game just goes mute randomly when you die.

It's easy as hell. Literally all the missions can be solved by half-assed stealth with little or no effort involved, even on higher difficulties.

Super boring, shallow, and buggy as hell. I know it's a beta, but the game comes out in like a month, so whatever the first release version is is already pushed to a disc somewhere. Gonna have to be a hell of a day 1 patch to solve all of the problems we had.

Good luck, Ubisoft. Probably the worst thing I've played from them in years.

sounds like typical Ubi loving up on the PC again. ill have to see how it runs on the ps4.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

DrGreatJob posted:

Really? I've got the same thing, just with a GTX 1080 factory overclock and 64GB and it runs awesome, maxed out borderless 1920x1200. The borderless thing is kind of a joke because they fuckin grab the mouse cursor even when you're using a controller.

quote:

Yeah, it's definitely one of those games where you need people to play with because then you can do all kinds of fun goony poo poo to make up for the difference of how shallow it is. With more skills and toys and 3 goons I could see it being pretty much Mercs 3 though and that's not a bad thing.

Definitely a controller game. Absolutely no problems on an Xbox One controller on the PC. Had a shitload of fun with Hamburger Test(I believe, or it was total coincidence about the friend request at the same time I got a code) and his friend tonight.

We ended up getting really de-sync'd at the very end so the network code needs some work. Even trying to fast travel to the person didn't fix it up.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Seeing as my usual buddies for this sort of shenanigans are getting this on PS4, I'm probably going to end up grabbing it for that instead of PC, unless I feel extravagant and double dip on my preferred platform (PC).

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

Really? I've got the same thing, just with a GTX 1080 factory overclock and 64GB and it runs awesome, maxed out borderless 1920x1200. The borderless thing is kind of a joke because they fuckin grab the mouse cursor even when you're using a controller.

Yeah, it's definitely one of those games where you need people to play with because then you can do all kinds of fun goony poo poo to make up for the difference of how shallow it is. With more skills and toys and 3 goons I could see it being pretty much Mercs 3 though and that's not a bad thing.

Definitely a controller game. Absolutely no problems on an Xbox One controller on the PC. Had a shitload of fun with Hamburger Test(I believe, or it was total coincidence about the friend request at the same time I got a code) and his friend tonight.

We ended up getting really de-sync'd at the very end so the network code needs some work. Even trying to fast travel to the person didn't fix it up.

Yeah, not sure what the performance problems were. It didn't seem to matter what settings I changed, though when I joined my friends game my performance was more or less fixed... buuuut I couldn't really tell what happened and at that point I was tired of the settings menu.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

DrGreatJob posted:

Yeah, not sure what the performance problems were. It didn't seem to matter what settings I changed, though when I joined my friends game my performance was more or less fixed... buuuut I couldn't really tell what happened and at that point I was tired of the settings menu.

If it helps, I'm running the 376.19 driver.

Also, this blows: There's no physical version for the PC version so no Prime pre-order discount. :mad:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So what's this Platoon website thing? It is just loving Battlelog?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Are there still any ways to get PC codes?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Croccers posted:

So what's this Platoon website thing? It is just loving Battlelog?

Well you don't launch the game from it thankfully but the only real use it serves is creating a Task Force(clan) if you so desire and sending invites to it from outside the game. If there's really people out there that give a poo poo about stats in a solo/co-op only game welp :roflolmao:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Obsurveyor posted:

Hi! Was fun having you drop in.

Can not imagine playing this solo, but with friends (or goons) there's enough freedom to mess around and the base combat has just enough depth without going too far so it remains fun; especially when you mess up and have to scramble to salvage.

If you treat it like a real tactical shooter, you will not have fun.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Is there a trick to making cars go faster than 5 mph? With Xbone controller.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Prefect Six posted:

Is there a trick to making cars go faster than 5 mph? With Xbone controller.

If it's an Elite: Turn switch off the restrictors for the short throw triggers. I've seen this issue in other games.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Obsurveyor posted:

If it's an Elite: Turn switch off the restrictors for the short throw triggers. I've seen this issue in other games.

Never even thought about this. Thanks!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

DrGreatJob posted:

Super boring, shallow, and buggy as hell.
Same. I read they're supposed to add PVP after launch, that might make it worth it, but I sure ain't preordering.

I did make mine run better by lowering rendering to 80-90%

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
so how are the upgrades/skills handled? Someone mentioned it being like Mercenaries (one of my all time favs). Do you get cash for killing baddies and/or blowing stuff up to purchase new gear, or is it more like Far Cry where you unlock stuff via challenges?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Definitely getting the mercenaries vibe. I think it's pretty fun tbh.

The performance is not amazing however.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I had more fun with this game than I expected. I got a lot of laughs from bugs/instability but overall: the shooting feels satisfying (hope they change the sounds of bullet impacts, though. Sounds like I'm playing paintball); there are lots of weapons and unlocks; skills and collectables aplenty. Driving and flying (a plane :shepface:) is smooth. Also, the map looks large, and I hope not deceptively so. I could easily pay the full price and not feel like I came out ripped off, because I indulge in large games with shooting and exploration (read: the STALKER series).

I noticed some places respawned enemies right quick, and while I tend to not have a problem with that (Far Cry 2 :swoon:), I'm sure some people might.

edit:shitballs

Morter fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 4, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Forgot to mention performance. I have a 1070 and can play on high - maxed settings at 3K at around 40FPS or so. I have a gsync laptop though so I don't need a solid 60, but if I did turning down the resolution of some settings would be fine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I like it so far even though its a bit rough around the edges. So far I have only played singleplayer and it's fun. It reminds me a lot of mercs 1. The gunplay is solid and fun. My petty issue are the rag dolls disappear to quick and arnt shootable but I assume that's partly the fact that it's a tech beta. The one major issue I have is where the gently caress are the subtitles or closed captioning, I can't find it any where in the menus.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I like it so far even though its a bit rough around the edges. So far I have only played singleplayer and it's fun. It reminds me a lot of mercs 1. The gunplay is solid and fun. My petty issue are the rag dolls disappear to quick and arnt shootable but I assume that's partly the fact that it's a tech beta. The one major issue I have is where the gently caress are the subtitles or closed captioning, I can't find it any where in the menus.

Language, main menu only I think.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Morter posted:

edit:shitballs
Cockholster

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I don't think we're getting persistent ragdolls, bodies disappear pretty quickly, and I think not wanting enemies to be alerted when walking over an area where a dead guy was is the reason, and having even clientside ragdolls creates some dissonance there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wildlands/comments/5rx80j/psa_how_to_access_the_restricted_portions_of_the/

• Locked thread