Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nuebot posted:

So here's my question. How do you guys deal with the AI? Someone told me to try and bait out the enemy, but that seems flat out impossible. Enemy teams straight up won't move at all until my units are in a position where they can all swoop down at once and destroy them. No matter how many times I wait in a good position, enemy turns end instantly without a single move.

Put a single one of your units in range of a single enemy that they have a favorable matchup against.

Maps where the enemies move from the beginning are far more annoying because you don't have forever to line up a good formation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

KnoxZone posted:

I haven't seen all the healers yet, but I would probably say Clarine or Lissa are the best. Clarine can use a full party +4 speed buff every other turn, while Lissa has a +4 attack buff.

serra does the all + speed and has + att to all adjacent allies + has 15HP recover (even if it slows the cooldown timer by 1) so she might be in the running too

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

cheetah7071 posted:

Put a single one of your units in range of a single enemy that they have a favorable matchup against.

Maps where the enemies move from the beginning are far more annoying because you don't have forever to line up a good formation.

It seems kind of lovely that you have to sacrifice a unit to play at all, man.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nuebot posted:

Um what? Even a 3-star unit can survive a round with a favorable-matchup enemy.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't know how good Tharja is but I'm calling this good enough

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

thats why you put someone that has a favorable matchup type in that spot, the dude they draw out will either bite it due to counter or do a healable amount of damage then you can waste things that moved up with ranged/horses/fliers

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

KnoxZone posted:

I haven't seen all the healers yet, but I would probably say Clarine or Lissa are the best. Clarine can use a full party +4 speed buff every other turn, while Lissa has a +4 attack buff.

Pretty much the skills which heal AoE or All are best, followed by skills that heal for a lot + caster. The worst healing type to actively avoid is the one that swaps health with the caster. The one which damages caster is just "ok" but will probably lead to the healer dying as a result of healing someone at least once if they dont also have at least a heal self special or something. I guess it's still early enough to say that the last two could end up being the best ones but just ticking up health every turn for free for the whole party just seems insurmountable and unfair in a lot of battles (particularly pvp.) If you add buff on top of that, that's as good as it gets.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Pretty much the skills which heal AoE or All are best, followed by skills that heal for a lot + caster. The worst healing type to actively avoid is the one that swaps health with the caster. The one which damages caster is just "ok" but will probably lead to the healer dying as a result of healing someone at least once if they dont also have at least a heal self special or something. I guess it's still early enough to say that the last two could end up being the best ones but just ticking up health every turn for free for the whole party just seems insurmountable and unfair in a lot of battles (particularly pvp.)

who has the AoE healing skills?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MotU posted:

whos the best healer because I did a 3rd pull and got all healers + 5* Lucina :v:
Azama has Reconcile, which is Live to Serve with a set amount of HP recovered (7 HP). He also gets Imbue, which allows him to heal 10 more HP to an ally unit, almost making it a full heal. He also gets a skill that grants a +4 defense buff to all allies when he heals someone. He also gets an attack debuff skill (-3 for the first tier, -4 for the second tier) that affects any enemies in a 2-tile radius, and Martyr, which heals bonus HP amounts based off of damage done to him.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Nuebot posted:

So here's my question. How do you guys deal with the AI? Someone told me to try and bait out the enemy, but that seems flat out impossible. Enemy teams straight up won't move at all until my units are in a position where they can all swoop down at once and destroy them. No matter how many times I wait in a good position, enemy turns end instantly without a single move.

Instead of just looking at the Danger Area, tap an enemy unit to see what that specific unit's Danger Area is. You can then move your units to only expose yourself to one enemy to start the fight rather than moving into a spot that can be hit by multiple.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Um what? Even a 3-star unit can survive a round with a favorable-matchup enemy.

But it's never just one. You move one unit, the whole enemy team attacks. At least, that's how it turns out on my end.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

But it's never just one. You move one unit, the whole enemy team attacks. At least, that's how it turns out on my end.

you can tap on enemy units ot see their attack ranges. find ones that dont overlap and dump one unit in that spot. theres also a danger zone toggle where you can see everywhere the enemy can attack with any unit

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MotU posted:

you can tap on enemy units ot see their attack ranges. find ones that dont overlap and dump one unit in that spot. theres also a danger zone toggle where you can see everywhere the enemy can attack with any unit

You can also bait multiple enemies into favorable situations by placing multiple of your units in range of just one enemy on the same turn

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sincere question: If I mostly care about playing through the main game with characters from 8, 9, and 10, none of whom are in the game right now, is there much reason for me to play it until they add them? I feel like it would be wasting the orbs I get from the early game to use them when there's not even any chance of getting those characters. Not that I don't want -any- of the characters that are in right now, but idk, I'd rather start with Ike or something and be able to build him all the way up through the main quests. Am I misunderstanding how the game works? I guess what I'm trying to ask is what's the point in trying to get the new characters they add later if you've already beaten the bulk of the missions and built up a team of strong characters already?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Nuebot posted:

To add on to what other people have said, note that different unit types have different movement abilities. Cavalry can move 3, flying units can move 2 but go over most terrain, infantry are 2, and armor can only move 1. If you put yourself in range of an enemy cavalry or flier it will tend to sprint ahead of the rest of their team and allow themselves to get isolated and destroyed. On the other end, you can pretty much ignore armored units until the end and just keep away from them while dealing with the other units.

mabels big day posted:

Sincere question: If I mostly care about playing through the main game with characters from 8, 9, and 10, none of whom are in the game right now, is there much reason for me to play it until they add them? I feel like it would be wasting the orbs I get from the early game to use them when there's not even any chance of getting those characters. Not that I don't want -any- of the characters that are in right now, but idk, I'd rather start with Ike or something and be able to build him all the way up through the main quests. Am I misunderstanding how the game works? I guess what I'm trying to ask is what's the point in trying to get the new characters they add later if you've already beaten the bulk of the missions and built up a team of strong characters already?

As with most phone games, the content at launch is only a small fraction of what we will eventually have. The game will almost certainly have weekly or bi-weekly events and new story content will be released rather frequently. The orbs you spend now to assemble a good starter team that can clear those events will pay for themselves from things like login rewards, event rewards and the monthly quests. If you want to wait for however long it takes for the Tellius crew to arrive you can, but you aren't really missing out on anything by starting now.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 4, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mabels big day posted:

Having an account will get you free orbs just from logging in. In your situation, I would reroll until I had a team that could do all the stuff without too much effort, then never spend any more resources. Just try to do the bare-minimum dailies and monthlies, and save resources for when the characters you want show up.

It might be possible to reroll for Ike once he's in the game, but you can always make a second account if your saved resources don't give you the characters you want. Just don't link to your My Nintendo account until you're ready to save your results as final.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Chapter 9's difficulty spikes more than I expected. Still winning but by the skin of my teeth. I think I'm going to do some training to move my characters above level 20.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Having an account will get you free orbs just from logging in. In your situation, I would reroll until I had a team that could do all the stuff without too much effort, then never spend any more resources. Just try to do the bare-minimum dailies and monthlies, and save resources for when the characters you want show up.

It might be possible to reroll for Ike once he's in the game, but you can always make a second account if your saved resources don't give you the characters you want. Just don't link to your My Nintendo account until you're ready to save your results as final.

Does the game have like seasons or something? will the missions that are in the game now not be available later?

also, I don't mind getting a 3 star if it's a cool character. It's kind of cool to raise them up from 3 star to 5 star anyway, at least in my head

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Hoard orbs. Most mobile games give out free stuff for events and just for logging in, and this game will probably do the same. So even if you don't play hardcore and do all of the content, just by logging in and doing a few missions here and there by the time characters you do want come out, you'll have a good stockpile of stuff to roll until you get what you want.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mabels big day posted:

Does the game have like seasons or something? will the missions that are in the game now not be available later?

also, I don't mind getting a 3 star if it's a cool character. It's kind of cool to raise them up from 3 star to 5 star anyway, at least in my head

We know new content will come out roughly every 2 weeks. We don't know what that content will be--it will almost certainly include maps, will probably include new banners, and might include new lower-tier characters. My best guess is that it'll be a month or two until we get mass representation for new games, with Gaiden probably coming first for obvious reasons.

Raising a 3-star character to 4-star is roughly a week of work. Raising a 4-star to 5-star is roughly a month of work.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I took a closer look and it looks like Shanna tops out at 4* and Cordelia can go to 5*, so that makes my decision for me. Brave Lance's double-attack is just icing on the cake, especially when I get to Galeforce. :angel::ese:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Echophonic posted:

I took a closer look and it looks like Shanna tops out at 4* and Cordelia can go to 5*, so that makes my decision for me. Brave Lance's double-attack is just icing on the cake, especially when I get to Galeforce. :angel::ese:

I'm like 99% sure that that only applies to what ranks they can spawn at in the gacha. You can raise any unit to 5-star.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mabels big day posted:

if it's like alot of gachas there will be more story added as time goes on and rotating events that will be where a lot of the main challenge lies

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Brother Entropy posted:

if it's like alot of gachas there will be more story added as time goes on and rotating events that will be where a lot of the main challenge lies

the events will likely have missions like on the mission board too so i imagine having a good variety of different types/series of characters raised might be a good idea

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

Raising a 3-star character to 4-star is roughly a week of work. Raising a 4-star to 5-star is roughly a month of work.

this is assuming events dont drop any feathers at all and that 0 end up being available from the mission board. likely still a similar ballpark but it may be expedited with certain factors

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
feeling pretty lucky since I didnt plan on rerolling any. And Azama is a pretty okay healer so this is great

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Nuebot posted:

The AI can be manipulated by doing most "non optimal" moves that are not necessarily favorable for the enemy. For example if I break from my team with an axe unit against a bunch of swords, the AI will surround and attack him even if the unit is several levels higher than their units and wont take any damage at all and one shot counter all of them. (You can see how much damage you will deal and receive to any unit at the top of the screen when selecting an attack, apparently the AI cannot.) If your unit is not overlevelled, you just need to keep a wall unit close behind for when you take a bunch of damage and retreat with the the "bait" unit, to block off any enemies chasing it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Has anyone done the math on how strong the weapon triangle is in this game? It seems to be much more important than it usually is in the main series.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm like 99% sure that that only applies to what ranks they can spawn at in the gacha. You can raise any unit to 5-star.

Oh, looks like you're right. Not like it really matters, it'll be a decent chunk of time before we get the feathers to make the jump anyway.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Just one more and the dream of Royz Boyz becomes reality.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Has anyone done the math on how strong the weapon triangle is in this game? It seems to be much more important than it usually is in the main series.

it's +20% and -20% damage, tap the weapon triangle at the bottom right during a level

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I can't wait to see the monstrous things you can do with the characters with Gem Weapons (make the weapon triangle shifts more extreme) and Weaponbreaker. I mean they'll be screwed against anyone they're weak against, but still.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

LornMarkus posted:

I can't wait to see the monstrous things you can do with the characters with Gem Weapons (make the weapon triangle shifts more extreme) and Weaponbreaker. I mean they'll be screwed against anyone they're weak against, but still.

arthur gon be sick vs lances

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Brother Entropy posted:

it's +20% and -20% damage, tap the weapon triangle at the bottom right during a level

There is also that skill Roy (and I guess other characters?) has, that increase the damage dealt within the triangle, up to an additional % depending on the skill level.

Also 20% of 0 is 0.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 4, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MotU posted:

who has the AoE healing skills?

I know Sakura has it, but it's not working right now. :(

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I guess I should consider myself lucky I don't understand how these kinds of games work at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So I opened a 3* Nino and felt a deep, instinctual urge to feed her levels. So I got her to level 20+, realized how many billions of feathers it would take to raise her star rank, and then immediately opened a 4* Nino. Such is life. Luckily, it's super easy to level up in this game.

Also I opened a 5* male Corrin on my first roll, but that disgusted me so I rerolled and got 5* Elise instead. Apparently I was pretty lucky to get a 5* at all though?

Sadly my team is basically being carried by Gunter, which feels wrong.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Wait how do I reroll

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Agoat posted:

Wait how do I reroll

delete your loving game and start over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU