Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Conures always look so cheerful to me, it is very deceptive but also very adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Presented without comment

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Is he happy you want to be a guest in his bathroom?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Jose Oquendo posted:

That Grey is giving a cheeky death gaze, right? I don't have much experience with them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

That Grey is giving a cheeky death gaze, right? I don't have much experience with them.

I'm interpreting this as "I know you need to poop, and I need only wait for your need to overpower your fear of being bitten for me to bite you. "

The eyes say Bird murder. Burder.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Abandon hope, all ye who enter poop here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jose Oquendo posted:

"I don't give a poo poo, and you certainly aren't taking one". :toughguy:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That is a happy gray! I think. That's happygray, right?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Happy to bite someone

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've always seen my Senegal as a dumber, smaller, more colorful Grey, but this interactive bird species tree showed me they're closely related: http://www.onezoom.org/OneZoom/static/OZLegacy/EDGE_birds.htm

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

artichoke posted:

I've always seen my Senegal as a dumber, smaller, more colorful Grey, but this interactive bird species tree showed me they're closely related: http://www.onezoom.org/OneZoom/static/OZLegacy/EDGE_birds.htm
This is really interesting and people should play around in it!

The fact that cockatiels (or at least the available evidence) is that they came before a lot of the larger cockatoos is interesting!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jose Oquendo posted:

someone is getting bitten soon...

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Potato Salad posted:

That is a happy gray! I think. That's happygray, right?

Happy cause hes getting a fingat feast. Maybe not now. But soon

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

DarkHorse posted:

I'm interpreting this as "I know you need to poop, and I need only wait for your need to overpower your fear of being bitten for me to bite you. "

The eyes say Bird murder. Burder.

You made a word that's going to stick with me until I die. That said, hopefully this word is in use for a long time.

P. S. - Dear thread I adore, is whoever sent me a wonderful book around Christmas time ever going to fess up? I want to shame you with thanks. :)

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Tendai posted:

This is really interesting and people should play around in it!

The fact that cockatiels (or at least the available evidence) is that they came before a lot of the larger cockatoos is interesting!

I've spent a lot of time zooming in and out on this tree! I had no idea there were so many kinds of parakeets, and that most of them aren't anywhere near the budgerigar branch!

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I remember mentioning it in this thread before. It's interesting that budgies get their own branch to themselves and that they're more closely related to South American parrots than they are to their Australian cousins.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sekkira posted:

I remember mentioning it in this thread before. It's interesting that budgies get their own branch to themselves and that they're more closely related to South American parrots than they are to their Australian cousins.

Itll be from when the continents were connected, like ostriches and cassowaries and emus.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sekkira posted:

Budgies are like South American parrots? Potatoes are also from South America! :derptiel:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Wow despite being pretty similar brazillian parakeets there's a 22 million year gap between quakers and green cheeks.

E: And it's really weird how Cockatiels and Black Cockatoos have the same ancestor 1 step back, but white cockatoos are a descendant of the original cockatiel. Like, one path they went big, the other they went real little and potato brained but then back to really big.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 3, 2017

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
So, funny thing Cricket did last night....

Her main cage is located in the computer room, and she can see thru the door, and down the hallway. Apparently she can also see the bathroom mirror, and thusly, can see someone sitting/using the toilet in the reflection if the door is open.

So, last night my husband was in the bathroom and didn't shut the door. He realized she can see him, and he can see her. She immediately starts yelling "Hey baby! Good job!! Good birdie birdie birdie....Go potty!! POTTY POTTY POTTY POTTY!!!!!" ad infinitum till he was finished. Then she started yelling "good job" till he came back in the room.

Between the two of us we about died laughing. We use that phrase when she poops, but she has never said "go potty" before that we have heard, and the way she decided to use it made us realize being a bird brain is the that much of an insult lol

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Jose Oquendo posted:

I want to draw this but nothing I can think of does that face true justice

Disco Salmon posted:

Her main cage is located in the computer room, and she can see thru the door, and down the hallway. Apparently she can also see the bathroom mirror, and thusly, can see someone sitting/using the toilet in the reflection if the door is open.

So, last night my husband was in the bathroom and didn't shut the door. He realized she can see him, and he can see her. She immediately starts yelling "Hey baby! Good job!! Good birdie birdie birdie....Go potty!! POTTY POTTY POTTY POTTY!!!!!" ad infinitum till he was finished. Then she started yelling "good job" till he came back in the room.

Between the two of us we about died laughing. We use that phrase when she poops, but she has never said "go potty" before that we have heard, and the way she decided to use it made us realize being a bird brain is the that much of an insult lol

Aww, your bird is praising you for good work, and apparently in the right context somehow too :v:

So a cockatiel, then

Do Kiwi and Sammy live together?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Just saying I feel grateful for all of you and especially thanks for all the bird pics.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

underage at the vape shop posted:

Like, one path they went big, the other they went real little and potato brained but then back to really big.
"WE WENT TOO DERP PULL UP PULL UP."

Disco Salmon posted:

That is just amazing :allears:

WrenP-Complete posted:

Just saying I feel grateful for all of you and especially thanks for all the bird pics.
I agree, this thread is a really lovely place :unsmith:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Battle Pigeon posted:

Do Kiwi and Sammy live together?

They have separate cages but they get along super well so I give them lots of time with their doors open and they can explore. That mainly means Sammy is over there with Kiwi because he is her biggest fan. The only time they get into tiffs is when one of them preens the other a little too hard. Night time they sleep separately.

Disco Salmon posted:

:allears: Birds are amazing

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Birds are amazing so everyone should post pictures of theirs!

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Hey all. Long time no talk.

My sweet amazon Zippy recently passed in a tragic accident, and it's been a hard adjustment to life without her. I have two favors to ask.

1. Ideas for preserving feathers? I've contacted a lot of companies about getting some set in acrylic as attractive and not over the top display mementos, but the only company willing to try was in england. Her feathers were a bit too big for jewelry.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
2. I'm in no place personally or professionally to consider another bird, and have my own ethical struggles with the idea. However, Zippy had a lot of friends, and one in particular who cared for her often is really missing the companionship. I don't think many people are suited to care for birds, but this person has shown themselves to be a great caretaker for years. My time is limited, and I want to help them get on the right start with a new friend in the next two months. If anyone is in the western half of Washington State and knows a decently chill, well tempered (doesn't have to be perfect), adult bird who needs a new home and an active lifestyle please contact me. I'm looking for Amazon size on up- this person has LOTS of time and money to care for a large bird.

Thank you

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sorry for your loss, Lenswork. :(

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Sorry for your loss, Lenswork. May good memories of Zippy console you in your grief.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Lenswork posted:

2. I'm in no place personally or professionally to consider another bird, and have my own ethical struggles with the idea. However, Zippy had a lot of friends, and one in particular who cared for her often is really missing the companionship. I don't think many people are suited to care for birds, but this person has shown themselves to be a great caretaker for years. My time is limited, and I want to help them get on the right start with a new friend in the next two months. If anyone is in the western half of Washington State and knows a decently chill, well tempered (doesn't have to be perfect), adult bird who needs a new home and an active lifestyle please contact me. I'm looking for Amazon size on up- this person has LOTS of time and money to care for a large bird.

Thank you

I'd hug you if I could. If you need a chat PM me.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wanna show you the new set up for the ringnecks but I'm not allowed to take pictures, I've tried but my phone gets confiscated :( so a description will have to do.

In the farm house where the dusty birds are we have two flights (northern for aviary) containing 8 breeding pairs of budgies and four cockatiels + all the resulting offspring. The flights are devided into sections and they have heat and electricity in them. A third more open air flight just went up which connects with one of the original flights and the conservatory, so the birds in that one will be able to be inside or outside as they choose. This is the ringnecks new set up. it means that Raddy who is about 100 in bird years can sit inside and twootle away to herself and then when the day is nice we can open it up and Mirabeau can fly around and be outdoors, or come inside and sit on the bird man's head.

Edit: oh yes, the red rumps are also in a section but we don't breed them as they are brother and sister.

Normal women get given diamonds, I get given conures and aviaries. I think I got the better deal on this one :D

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Sorry for your loss, Lenswork. :smithcloud:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lenswork I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope the good memories with Zippy offer comfort as you grieve.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Got home after being away for two months and the first thing Mochi did was bite the poo poo out of me. Seems about right.

Sorry for your loss, lenswork :(

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

gently caress

my

life

(nail filing time)

Sorry for your loss, Lenswork. :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm so sorry for your loss, Lenswork :( Zippy always seemed like such a sweet, clever bird.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

gently caress

my

life

That impotent cockatiel woe is really the best thing.

Steve :allears:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Impossibly chill bitey whitey
https://www.facebook.com/andy.korreck/videos/1362292550482168/

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Steve has the nicest round eyes of any 'tiel I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Battle Pigeon posted:

gently caress

my

life

(nail filing time)

Do 'tiels do the "Scream like I am being murdered" thing or make angry burble-honk noises? Loki did the former, but we've basically trained Yoshi to just yell "Beep-beep-beep-beep!!" at us when he's really mad. It makes clipping his nails easier on the ears, but he's just as grumpy afterward.