Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know, I think Wil Wheaton is at least acquainted with most of the guests because when you're Hollywood talent that goes through the same channels, agencies, and guilds as all other Hollywood talent you're going to add some phone numbers to your book.

But also agree with Aston that part of the appeal is you can sit down with seemingly strangers and play a game that someone else has to teach them. Pretty much everyone comes to the table equally ignorant and Wheaton gets mad when rules are wrong but also that's part of the real life experience. And if you're one of those casuals who go "ugh this isn't Monopoly this isn't a board game!" well here are some famous people you might know and they get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The guests are often D-List Hollywood talent with credits on a single episode of Law and Order or half a season on a CW teen drama.
The rest are nerd famous.

So yeah, they're on Wil Wheaton's level

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
All these posts and on one has recommended the crazy man with the mail-order bride. I remember finding a video of his once trying to look for an explanation of something and was intrigued with his presentation.

God, what's his name??

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

FulsomFrank posted:

All these posts and on one has recommended the crazy man with the mail-order bride. I remember finding a video of his once trying to look for an explanation of something and was intrigued

I'm intrigued now. It's not Calandale is it? I've never seen Calandale's wife but I could see her being mail order

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is Rahdo's wife real? He talks about her as if she was real in the Geeklists but then the actual video is him narrating what this invisible person is doing.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

She has actually been seen in some videos.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

angel opportunity posted:

I'm intrigued now. It's not Calandale is it? I've never seen Calandale's wife but I could see her being mail order
It's actually calandale. Guy is proper mental. And Rahdo's wife is real.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

al-azad posted:

Is Rahdo's wife real? He talks about her as if she was real in the Geeklists but then the actual video is him narrating what this invisible person is doing.

She's real, just understandably unwilling to have video of her on the internet

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The board game crew got me good in making me think she was actually not real and Rahdo was insane.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Which Calandale video tells about the mail order wife...I want to see it

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
CALANDALE. That's the one!

I can see why some people would hate Rahdo's stream of consciousness videos, loving up some rules here and there, and his... low-tech approach to video-making but overall I like his enthusiasm and his opinions. I also really like that he really lives and dies by how good something plays with two, which appeals to me.

I liked his videos he did with Tom and Jason where they did their top economic games and something else because it seemed like they genuinely enjoyed having some back and forth between them.

In general I don't hate any of the popular youtube gaming channels really, but Tabletop rubs me the wrong way.

quote:

How's the 7 Wonders: Duel expansion?

I like it but haven't been using it a lot lately because it's a little more fiddly and I don't like adding to the set-up when I'm in the mood for a quick game. If you love Duel then you should 100% get it, if you haven't played a lot of it or like me, are still scratching at the surface, it isn't essential by any means.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 3, 2017

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The saga of Calandale mail-ordering a bride and then forcing her to play hundreds of boardgames was played out on BGG, not youtube. He apparently quit the site in a blaze of glory, fuming about political correctness or whatever.

Calandale's youtube videos exactly match the grim stereotype of the creepy loner wargamer -- in a dingy, cluttered room, a man with ratty hair and a rotating variety of facial hairstyles one might expect to see on a hermit (sometimes wearing a bathrobe and/or chewing on an ostentatious pipe) expounds for hours on end about his quibbles with every hex and counter wargame in existence.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Are any of the posts still there? If someone has them please link them lol

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Are you sure you want to dive into this sordid ordeal?

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74411/calandale-teaches-his-woman-game

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Azran posted:

How's the 7 Wonders: Duel expansion?

Also, a local store here has both Arboretum and Coloretto - are they in any way similar enough that it'd be pointless for me to get both of them?

Coloretto is far more lightweight than Arboretum. I enjoy them both, but Arboretum can draw the AP out of people moreso than you would expect with a card game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FulsomFrank posted:

In general I don't hate any of the popular youtube gaming channels really, but Tabletop rubs me the wrong way.

I hate them all except All the Games You Like Are Bad because he knows how to actually analyze and critique. The host is also pretty funny in a snarky nerdy way and I wouldn't mind playing with him, which isn't something I couldn't say about any of the other Youtubers. Podcast wise, the Secret Cabal guys are all pretty normal and socially adapted but don't go too deep on the analytical side.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I would play board games with UvalaBob

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
rahdo seems well adjusted too i guess.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fellis posted:

I would play board games with UvalaBob
:rip:

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Just finished unpacking Mechs vs. Minions, 1-day delivery in Europe for 5€ for a total of 80€ (and the box is like 7kg).

And holy poo poo, does this games production quality poo poo on every other boardgame. I knew it was sleek from having watched video reviews, but was still surprised at how nice it was hands on. Everything fits into place, painted miniatures, slippery oil skids on the board, everything is just through the roof.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ludo is a bullshit game, I'd be pissed too if my parents forced me to play it.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

The board game crew got me good in making me think she was actually not real and Rahdo was insane.

She is real, and he is insane.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

That beer is really helping that Bavarian dad to unwind

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Welp, pre-ordered Gloomhaven. The only place I could find that was still selling pre-orders was conveniently my FLGS (Mission Fun and Games). $94 CDN, should be arriving right in ides of March. Nice.

Now it better not be terrible. I'm also in for Wave 2 of Mechs and Minions.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 3, 2017

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
It's only the third of the month and I already ordered FCM, the great Zimbabwe and Gloomhaven.

I hope my wife doesn't divorce me.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I played my second game of FCM on Wednesday. It's really good and I ALMOST want to buy it, but I won't because my wife would never play it 2p with me I'm pretty sure.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i'm riding the crest of Sound Kickstarter Decisions these next few months. Mint Works, March of the Ants + Expansion and Gloomhaven are all gonna be on my doorstep sooner rather than later. Also picking up Indonesia because I successfully got my friends to understand the Joy of Market Boardgames thanks to Chicago Express.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm really tempted to pick up food chain magnate, since it's going out of print at some point. The price tag is just so high. Do the components justify it, or is it just pricey because it's so well designed?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's pricey because the game has small print runs. It has cheap, ugly components.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

I hate them all except All the Games You Like Are Bad because he knows how to actually analyze and critique. The host is also pretty funny in a snarky nerdy way and I wouldn't mind playing with him, which isn't something I couldn't say about any of the other Youtubers. Podcast wise, the Secret Cabal guys are all pretty normal and socially adapted but don't go too deep on the analytical side.

In a similar vein, I can't imagine people having big problems with Rolling Dice and Taking Names. Just two dumb old farts talking about how dumb they are.

But then again, I don't really dislike any board game media personality that I've seen all that much. I can even tolerate Sam and Jason on the Dice Tower. :shrug:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Jordan7hm posted:

What I don't understand is why so many videos have a guy sitting in front of a shelf full of games talking. It makes no sense. This is a video format. So few reviewers take advantage of the medium.

This is from a few pages back, and I haven't gone forward or checked to see if it was discussed further, but behold, the greatest board game reviewer of all time (RIP): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fHzYtuHBA

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just want to say that the Game of Thrones remix of Cosmic Encounter (I think it's called Iron Throne?) is bad. We played a five player game and I was in last place but I tormented the last power off the last of an opponent's heros to end the game with a 3 way tie for first.

Everyone talked about how much they liked the game, I made need to stop gaming with them.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Game of Thrones remix of Cosmic Encounter (I think it's called Iron Throne?)
Oh gross.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah it sounded completely awful the first time I heard about it and I haven't heard anything to convince me otherwise!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Cosmic Encounter is bad, news at 11.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

On the subject of videos, any good gameplay videos of Tigris and Euphrates? I've read people saying it's good, but I can't really tell what the actual gameplay is like from text descriptions alone.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Lord Hydronium posted:

On the subject of videos, any good gameplay videos of Tigris and Euphrates? I've read people saying it's good, but I can't really tell what the actual gameplay is like from text descriptions alone.

there's this thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRCub6Xxng0

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Impermanent posted:

i'm riding the crest of Sound Kickstarter Decisions these next few months. Mint Works, March of the Ants + Expansion and Gloomhaven are all gonna be on my doorstep sooner rather than later. Also picking up Indonesia because I successfully got my friends to understand the Joy of Market Boardgames thanks to Chicago Express.

What's the March of the Ants expansion like? Or, I guess if you haven't played it, could you post about it? I thought MotA was a nice game, wondering what the expansion does.

GrandpaPants posted:

It's pricey because the game has small print runs. It has cheap, ugly components.

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't think they're ugly. Also, having ordered Clinic, a self-published game, most components don't look too cheap by comparison.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

I'm really tempted to pick up food chain magnate, since it's going out of print at some point. The price tag is just so high. Do the components justify it, or is it just pricey because it's so well designed?

So like, the component quality isn't GREAT, but the player aids look like menus at a restaurant, and the art and design on the game is--to me--very good. It's a minimalist + retro kind of art style. The board is very easy to read, and the cards have nice, muted colors and are easy to read. The little food tokens are wood. The house and advertising things are made of thicker cardboard. It comes with paper money which kind of sucks--if I bought it I'd probably buy like separate metal coins or something.

The game is just really good though. If I bought it, that's why I'd be willing to pay that much more for it. When people say it's a "gamer's game" what they mean is that an experienced player will win against new players 100% of the time, and it will be a crushing defeat too. The milestone system feels--to me--like doing a build order in Broodwar, because there are a lot of really interesting routes you can take with milestones and initial hires, and it will dictate your entire strategy in the game going forward.

To properly teach the game, I think you have to tell new players example openings for certain milestones. When I first was taught, the guy teaching didn't do this, then he took two milestones that won him the game for free just as the rest of us were wrapping our heads around how powerful milestones are.

Once the "build orders" of the milestones go down, you are firmly into "mid-game," and where in the early game you have a few turns with some people making $0 and others making like $5-10 max, in mid-game people start suddenly pulling in like $20, $30, $50 per turn. The bank will "break" very soon after the mid-game starts accelerating profits, and after the reserve goes in--depending on the reserve amount that players voted in secretly--the end game will be a few turns at most of just breaking that reserve money dry. It has a really clear progression from early-->mid-->late game, and it feels very satisfying to compete with people during each stage of the game. You can definitely COMPLETELY put yourself out of the game though by doing a bad opening, a bad placement, or a bad hiring order, etc. That's the main trade-off of having the game be so fun to compete with people, is that unlike a lot of boardgames, it's probably not going to be fun to people who just want to have a chill experience and are not "playing to win."

If you have a group that you think would actually be into the game and play it a lot, it's really worth it. If you have to peddle the game and force people into it, they aren't going to like it. If you can only get it played like 2-3 times, and it's with new players every time, it probably won't be worth buying.

I really wish this game would be on some electronic medium where I could just play games really fast online with timed turns or something. Matchmaking would be really cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

I can see why some people would hate Rahdo's stream of consciousness videos, loving up some rules here and there, and his... low-tech approach to video-making but overall I like his enthusiasm and his opinions. I also really like that he really lives and dies by how good something plays with two, which appeals to me.

I've recently discovered that most edited and scripted board game content is much worse than anything rahdo does. For all his faults he's still like the fourth-best reviewer on YouTube.

I was convinced his wife was a Garfield's-family scenario, though. Her being real is much more boring.