Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Then surely the ones that are staying, if it's all about the Brexit, should be skewing heavily in support of Leave. But you keep posting polls showing the opposite, to show how out of touch the leadership is

I post polls to show a snapshot of public opinion.

I imagine the ones who have yet to change their mind simply haven't given it much thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

Tell me, how does labour appeal to voters in Middlesbrough by being pro-remain?

I'm not sure it can. We've both agreed labour is hosed. This is the consequence of Corbynism.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

So it's less a fact borne out by the data, and more a Mystic Flaps prediction

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

Pissflaps, in Middlesbrough:

40,477 Votes to leave
21,181 Votes to remain
19,296 Leave Majority

Tell me, how does labour appeal to voters in Middlesbrough by being pro-remain?

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2016-06-24/eu-referendum-middlesbrough-votes-to-leave-the-eu/
How does it appeal to voters in Middlesborough when it is pro brexit but its leaders are pro immigration, which is apparently 85% or so of the reason people voted to Leave?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

So it's less a fact borne out by the data, and more a Mystic Flaps prediction

What are you claiming I have 'predicted', exactly?

Be specific. Use quotes. I haven't predicted a loving thing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

JFairfax posted:

loving hell, through the brexit campaign corbyn was about the most real about all of this 'no the EU isn't perfect but it's better we stay in and try to reform it'.

And then the moment it ends he's like 'let's declare A50 immediately'. And now Labour's (and let's be fair here, half the thread's) entire position is "uh, yes we love brexit so you loving moron bigoted leavers will vote for us" and "we'll fight with everything we've got to deliver a good brexit!!! except we'll vote yes on triggering A50 ASAP even if it violates our every principle"

This is phoney as gently caress.

baka kaba posted:

Then surely the ones that are staying, if it's all about the Brexit, should be skewing heavily in support of Leave. But you keep posting polls showing the opposite, to show how out of touch the leadership is

Because weirdly, even leavers don't buy into Labour's utter lack of conviction.

jabby posted:

That's so hilariously wrong. The press know that 99% of politicians are totally unprincipled. They only care about whether their position is one the owners of the press support. No one is ever going to get props for 'standing up for what they believe' if what they believe isn't right wing racism.

They will never support Labour because Labour bent over due to fear of the press. They will just move on to the next issue. Come on people!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

And then the moment it ends he's like 'let's declare A50 immediately'. And now Labour's (and let's be fair here, half the thread's) entire position is "uh, yes we love brexit so you loving moron bigoted leavers will vote for us" and "we'll fight with everything we've got to deliver a good brexit!!! except we'll vote yes on triggering A50 ASAP even if it violates our every principle"

it's more a case of, this has been voted upon in a referendum and we will go along with it.

I may not like it, you may not like it, but it is consistent with a belief in democracy.

now the whole referendum was obviously a stupid loving idea to begin with.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Corbyn's 'beliefs' are no use to anybody.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

jBrereton posted:

Labour's failing is saying and doing 2 different things and losing votes both ways.

Ah, right. I misunderstood, apologies.

Fangz posted:

This is phoney as gently caress.

To be honest, Corbyn during the referendum campaign said exactly what I was thinking. I had a middling enthusiasm for the EU but I knew leaving wasn't going to solve anything. It was nice to have someone who was for it, but not crazy about having to be.

But yeah, now I'm wondering what the gently caress he's doing. This is just sloppy in a way that his usual not-playing-by-the-rules isn't.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
look pissflaps it's okay to say you hate him because he had a mixed race relationship, we know that's what makes you angry - that he likes 'urban' life so much

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JFairfax posted:

it's more a case of, this has been voted upon in a referendum and we will go along with it.

I may not like it, you may not like it, but it is consistent with a belief in democracy.

now the whole referendum was obviously a stupid loving idea to begin with.

Where is the representation of the other 48% of the country? Or, to be frank, the representation for democracy period, given that it's becoming increasingly obvious that Brexit is threatening the elected class and judicary?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

But yeah, now I'm wondering what the gently caress he's doing. This is just sloppy in a way that his usual not-playing-by-the-rules isn't.

to be fair to the guy it's handling an unprecedented situation, and there is really no clearly ideal solution for labour.

he believes in democracy and after parliament supported calling the referendum he's supporting the result of that.

you may not like it, but it's a logically consistent position.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

Where is the representation of the other 48% of the country? Or, to be frank, the representation for democracy period, given that it's becoming increasingly obvious that Brexit is threatening the elected class and judicary?

well this is why a yes / no referendum on such a contentious decision was always a really loving stupid idea.

there was always going to be this problem to reconcile re: representation and I sure as poo poo don't know the answer.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

to be fair to the guy it's handling an unprecedented situation, and there is really no clearly ideal solution for labour.

he believes in democracy and after parliament supported calling the referendum he's supporting the result of that.
If he believed in democracy he would go. The country at large is tired of him. His opposition to the EU is not rooted in democracy, it is rooted in him not liking the EU.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Democracy, as in the belief that if you win a narrow referendum with an arbitary amount of lies, you (an unelected PM) are allowed to interpret that decision however you want and no one can have a say on it, even if the situation changes and your lies are revealed and your decisions are going to lead to the literal opposite of what you promised.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

If he believed in democracy he would go. The country at large is tired of him. His opposition to the EU is not rooted in democracy, it is rooted in him not liking the EU.

he's won two leadership elections in the last two years.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

jBrereton posted:

This is a loving dumb argument.

Fangz posted:

Democracy, as in the belief that if you win a narrow referendum with an arbitary amount of lies, you are allowed to interpret that decision however you want and no one can have a say on it, even if the situation changes and your lies are revealed and your decisions are going to lead to the literal opposite of what you promised.

Quite. If we respect the democratic decision, where's our miraculous surge of funding erupting from the ether into the NHS like Cameron into a dead pig?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

he's won two leadership elections in the last two years.
The membership voted to Remain. If he was just interested in their opinions he would be the head of a party that opposed Brexit.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

Democracy, as in the belief that if you win a narrow referendum with an arbitary amount of lies, you (an unelected PM) are allowed to interpret that decision however you want and no one can have a say on it, even if the situation changes and your lies are revealed and your decisions are going to lead to the literal opposite of what you promised.

yeah, democracy is a bit poo poo sometimes and our particular form of it is debased and corrupted. no poo poo.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

The membership voted to Remain. If he was just interested in their opinions he would be the head of a party that opposed Brexit.

he did head a party that opposed Brexit, unfortunately remain lost the referendum.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Tories should run a referendum on what should be done about Jeremy Corbyn.

except lol why would they

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

he did head a party that opposed Brexit, unfortunately remain lost the referendum.
Only one in six people think he should be PM. Does that not signal he should go, if he believes in democracy?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JFairfax posted:

Where is the representation for half the country if all lawmaking and negotiating parties need to abide by the majority, however slim?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

jBrereton posted:

Only one in six people think he should be PM. Does that not signal he should go, if he believes in democracy?

We hit the usual "Who else?" problem, though. Corbyn's proving kind of shite at handling this, but the neoliberal horse has long since bolted and that's the only thing the PLP seem prepared to offer.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

Where is the representation for half the country if all lawmaking and negotiating parties need to abide by the majority, however slim?

I don't think it's a great situation, and clearly on such fundamental constitutional issues such referenda if you really must have them should be 2/3rds majority or something like that so there IS a clear mandate for something.

this referendum was a right royal cock up from start to finish and continues to be so.

jBrereton posted:

opinion polls ain't elections you loving weapon

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

JFairfax posted:

yeah, democracy is a bit poo poo sometimes and our particular form of it is debased and corrupted. no poo poo.

Do *you* believe in this argument by so-called 'democracy'?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

opinion polls ain't elections you loving weapon
ah ok

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

spectralent posted:

We hit the usual "Who else?" problem, though. Corbyn's proving kind of shite at handling this, but the neoliberal horse has long since bolted and that's the only thing the PLP seem prepared to offer.

I am pretty in favour of just picking some random homeless guy off the street at this point.

Like hey, even if Labour doesn't win, at least they'll have done something for one person.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

I am pretty in favour of just picking some random homeless guy off the street at this point.

remember the ancient greeks at one point drew lots to decide who would be their politicians, so it has precedent

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Fangz posted:

Like hey, even if Labour doesn't win, at least they'll have done something for one person.

I'd be alright with making a d66 table of thread posters and rerolling pissflaps.

Serious hats on, though, who is there who's not poo poo? I couldn't see Abbot being anything but Corbyn lite, though I guess she'd have at least opposed Brexit. Watson turned out to be a prick who's afraid of the trots.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

Who the gently caress cares so long as it isn't Corbyn, Abbott, Watson, or McDonnell.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheRat posted:

Sarcastic moralising from the threads most tedious leave-voter. What a time to be alive.

An ad hominem from the thread's most tedious rape advocate. What a time to be alive.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

jBrereton posted:

Who the gently caress cares so long as it isn't Corbyn, Abbott, Watson, or McDonnell.

Any of the neoliberals will continue the growth of inequality and weakening of the social safety net, and will refuse to stand for any important principle if it might piss off the mythical center?

And seriously status quo isn't tenable anymore. The west now wants revolutionary change and the only people apparently prepared to offer that are the right. Brexit and Trump weren't freak occurances.

EDIT: Also what'd McDonnell do?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

Any of the neoliberals will continue the growth of inequality and weakening of the social safety net, and will refuse to stand for any important principle if it might piss off the mythical center?
The furthest right of even the parliamentary Labour party is about on par with the left of the Tories, and there is a lot of it to the left of that. If you are seriously trying to equivocate fuckin Angela Eagle with John Redwood you are a thick oval office and part of the reason the party is dying, alongside your pissant "uhh bluh bluhh the left can't form and distribute narratives as proven by corbyn not being able to" attitude.

e: McDonnell is a loving joker to answer your question. Little red book at the budget, very droll. Good one. That's a vote winner.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

jBrereton posted:

The furthest right of even the parliamentary Labour party is about on par with the left of the Tories, and there is a lot of it to the left of that. If you are seriously trying to equivocate fuckin Angela Eagle with John Redwood you are a thick oval office and part of the reason the party is dying, alongside your pissant "uhh bluh bluhh the left can't form and distribute narratives as proven by corbyn not being able to" attitude.

e: McDonnell is a loving joker to answer your question. Little red book at the budget, very droll. Good one. That's a vote winner.

:psyduck:

I spent like two pages trying to get someone to admit there was a need for the left to make an immigration counternarrative, given you unhelpfully suggested that suggesting a counternarrative was only a way to lose votes without qualifying "if you say that while also hollering for controls on immigration". Whatever you've come up with off that you've misread badly.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 4, 2017

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I just want my racist coffee mug why must you be so unhelpful??

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I mean, the "anyone who isn't corbyn" thing hits this exact problem, because "anyone who isn't corbyn" is unwilling to present an immigration counternarrative (and, yeah, Corbyn's loving his up). We had what, a decade and a half of a not-corbyn labour government? The biggest takehome from that government on immigration was that Australia's attitude to migrants was a good thing. Giving the racist mug last election I'm not sure who's meant to be presenting this left-wing narrative waiting in the anyone-but-corbyn wings but I'm not confident they're winning the next leadership contest.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

What are you claiming I have 'predicted', exactly?

Be specific. Use quotes. I haven't predicted a loving thing.

Your last series of posts where you claim the polls show that "the labour voters that stayed labour voters sure as gently caress aren't going to stick around for pro Brexit Labour" and I said the polls don't show any evidence of this happening, and then you said "they have yet to change their mind"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

:psyduck:

I spent like two pages trying to get someone to admit there was a need for the left to make an immigration counternarrative, given you unhelpfully suggested that suggesting a counternarrative was only a way to lose votes without qualifying "if you say that while also hollering for controls on immigration". Whatever you've come up with off that you've misread badly.
What the gently caress are you on about.

A counternarrative is not a way to lose votes. At no point did I suggest that. I said the current and indeed long term former strategy of a half arsed joining in with the "yeah gently caress em" attitude while immigration actually soars was never going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

What the gently caress are you on about.

A counternarrative is not a way to lose votes. At no point did I suggest that. I said the current and indeed long term former strategy of a half arsed joining in with the "yeah gently caress em" attitude while immigration actually soars was never going to work.

immigration has not soared.

• Locked thread